Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 305658 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:47 am »
@Max_Cady:
I've only seen the remake, but I think you're in for a treat. It's got that fun level of self-awareness.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »
I saw The Debt the other day and I quite enjoyed it. I'm glad I decided to check it out.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #557 on: September 16, 2011, 08:35:24 pm »
X-Men: First Class.

Finally saw it, it was fantastic. Great quick cameo moments from 2 of the original trilogy's cast.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2011, 07:58:44 am »
I just saw Drive last night, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to everybody here.
Don't read anything about it, don't check out an trailers, just go watch it. You'll enjoy it more :D.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2011, 06:40:08 pm »

I came back from a Fright Night screening. Now that I've seen both the remake and the original, I can safely say that both are good, clean fun.

The new version, follows roughly the same plot, but manages to take some detours that feel fresh. It's got all the things that made the original so great, it's also got a sense of self-awareness because many characters in the film do point out just how silly this all is.

However, I do have some qualms about this, first, Peter Vincent's character. It's a shame, because he's played by David Tennant, who was actually a much better Doctor Who than stone-faced Eccleson. And personally he's light years ahead of Russel Brand.

Having said that, though, I just didn't dig his whole Chris Angel bit and the fact that he's barely a character in this and it's odd that even though, this movie does incorporates modern technology to add a new spin on the same plot, I'm surprised that his character didn't go:"Do I look like an occult encyclopedia!? Google it!"

Everybody else was acceptable, Colin Farell was perfect for this role and it's nice to see him in a non-indie role for a change, he does a good job. However, he feels more like a playboy than a gentleman, I mean, when he's not sucking blood, he's just drinking beer and watching TV on his couch wearing a tank top, in some ways he's the opposite of the other Gerry, both of them are evil, but Colin's Jerry barely has any humanity in him. He's also missing that human sidekick that we really understood what was going on...

I'm puzzled over the character that are more developed than some of the original ones, I mean, Brewster's Mom was barely in the original movie, who for odd reasons, treats him like a younger brother instead of a son.

Not too crazy on the actress who plays Amy, even though she was note for note, the same character.

Evil, who barely had a backstory in the original, was actually pretty good and well acted by Mintz-Platz.

Though, as far as silly and self-aware as the movie is, even in the movie's universe are a bit of a stretch.

But even said that, it's worth seeing this in the big screen. I also have to say that the 3D is also pretty good (though I have to say that the CG blood, that's becoming commonplace in movies, in 3D makes it seems even faker than it already is).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #560 on: September 21, 2011, 09:01:45 am »
I managed to catch a screening of Pearl Jam Twenty last night.
I've been waiting to see this movie since they first announced it a while back, and I'm happy to report that it didn't disappoint. It was probably aimed a bit more at existing Pearl Jam fans than newcomers, but that was just fine by me :D.
I couldn't get over the footage of Eddie Vedder jumping off the lighting rigs into the crowds.
Also: The music was soooo great :).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:53 am »
I watched Away We Go on netflix last night.
Very enjoyable movie. If you've got a sense of humour, I'd recommend checking it out :).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #562 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
I watched the Ides of March last night.
That makes 3 Ryan Gosling films I've seen this year.

It was a pretty interesting movie with a couple of twists, but it was the performances that really carried this one. Ryan Gosling and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in particular were really great.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #563 on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »
Soup be watching movies!

I missed a LOT of sumer flicks, mainly because I've grown so tired of superhero stuff which was the main summer thing this year. However, I'll be renting Thor and Cap America over the next few weeks. Think we'll go see Ides of March this weekend. We're a Clooney/Hoffman household.

Watched The Nutty Professor for the 20th time during the honeymoon, it was on one of the free movie channels. Favorite bit is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmxEBAFHwI

Offline SOUP

« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2011, 02:39:21 pm »
@Barry:
I think you'll enjoy Captain America. Even if you're suffering a bit of superhero burnout, it's good times.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #565 on: October 19, 2011, 04:14:34 pm »
http://www.wildaboutmovies.com/images_7/waking_sleeping_beauty_000.jpg

A documentary detailing Disney's animation revival from 1984-1994.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #566 on: October 19, 2011, 05:55:06 pm »
Man, I barely remember the last time I went to see a movie. Or watch one on DVD.

But tommorrow, it comes... Paranormal Activity 3! So gonna watch it. In a crowded cinema, just like the sequel.

I remember watching PA2 and leaving and just total strangers trying their best not to make eye contact with  each other because of the ending.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #567 on: October 22, 2011, 12:00:18 am »

*tries to think of witty line to sum up thoughts on movie*

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #568 on: October 22, 2011, 07:59:19 am »
If you liked it: "Director Martin Campbell did a great job! If I were a fellow director I'd be... green with envy?"

If you hated it: "What an awful film... it doesn't hold a lantern to the better superhero films of the summer."

Offline max_cady

« Reply #569 on: October 22, 2011, 08:11:55 am »
The best word to describe it is: "underwheliming".

I watched the extended version recentely, doesn't improve the plot all that much, but at least it gives you a much better backstory that was sorely lacking.

Now on to Paranormal Activity 3, like I promised myself, I watched it last Thursday and I was shocked at how effective it was.

Yes, this is the first entry of this low-budget series that's actually scary or at least will make you flinch. But at the same time, it's also the most tedious, you see, to get to the scary parts you have to suffer through a lot of everyday normal stuff and by the third film you are actually begging for the paranormal stuff to show up and break up the monotony.

The first half of the film is chore to sit through, but when we get past the 40 minute mark it goes completely insane and stuff actually gets pretty creepy and suddenly it's like I got transported back to 1999 when The Blair Witch Project came out, except that... this was everything TBWP was not, it was scary and effective, and the characters are likeable instead of the jackasses in the other film.

My advice: you have to see this film.