Author Topic: Has Sega improved its image by not releasing games?  (Read 19442 times)

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
Re: Has Sega improved its image by not releasing games?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 06:58:54 pm »
People also think Sonic gets in the way of other IPs.  So you have another group who thinks not having Sonic around is beneficial.  But Sonic is still a big seller for SEGA.  This co-existing have never been a problem before, he's not a scapegoat for every situation.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 12:49:47 pm »
Crackdude, you could say the same for footballing fans! :P

Most are fickle, but the true fans support them no matter what.

To be honest, I think their recent announcements have started to make gamers old and hopefully new see SEGA's achievements and tend to be sentimental over it.

I still love me some SEGA games, and when there is a lull, I tend to play something else, so when they return to announce things, you get pumped up!

I think Sonic does need to improve in order for gamers to really take notice of SEGA, but I do think the gamers who think Sonic = SEGA are the younger generation who never played SEGA's other catalogue. It is mostly SEGA's fault of course due to the promotions Sonic gets but let's hope that these announcements make gamers take notice and wonder how they see SEGA without Sonic for awhile.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:51:56 pm by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 02:53:50 am »
Its not just Sonic that needs to be fixed but rather, the company as a whole. Its too late for SEGA now and SEGA isn't interested in bringing back their image. Even if SEGA isn't known for crappy Sonic games, the fact that they barely make use of their damn IP's just proves that they don't want to win back the audience it once had.

Honestly, with the amount of companies that SEGA has bought, they don't need to make use of their IP at all. They can just take the route of EA and just mess around their valuable IP.

People are excited to see VC on PS4 and yet SEGA didn't mention anything whether Azure will end up the same way. the amount of games they released from 2000-2015 are just awful majority of the times.

Tell me, why would SEGA ever need an R&D team if they have studios that they bought? They are just fine with Atlus making games as well as Creative Assembly making Total War. Why the hell does SEGA need to focus on console gaming when they can just stick to PC and Mobile gaming only to last for a few years until they end up going bankrupt.

If they were first party, then I agree that they need their R&D. But honestly, I'm sick of getting hyped on their today games only to end up getting disappointed.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 03:53:07 am »
I hate being so dismissive, but that is a load of nonsense.

You're so blinded by the fact they're not making what you want, you're failing to see what great titles they have made over the years. Yes, everyone and their dog know they've made mistakes - and some damn right silly ones at that - but don't you dare dismiss everything.

As for VC:Azure, they have no business saying anything about it being released here yet. VC remaster will be easy as the voice work and translation are already done. Azure however is different. It's still in development and they're starting with a release on home soil. Once it's actually closer to completion, then we should here news about a translation.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:57:45 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 05:00:15 am »
lol Artwark, mad much?

I really don't see it as grim as you paint it.. Sega's output has been pretty good, even the reviews show it, even though the bad games damage their reputation. Even more so when Sega makes so little marketing of their titles. Had Vanquish been published by EA it would've been an absolute blockbuster, as they have spent many million in far worse games.

Sega is niche. It doesn't have that marketing power.
SEG4GES

Offline Artwark

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 05:16:03 am »
I hate being so dismissive, but that is a load of nonsense.

You're so blinded by the fact they're not making what you want, you're failing to see what great titles they have made over the years. Yes, everyone and their dog know they've made mistakes - and some damn right silly ones at that - but don't you dare dismiss everything.

As for VC:Azure, they have no business saying anything about it being released here yet. VC remaster will be easy as the voice work and translation are already done. Azure however is different. It's still in development and they're starting with a release on home soil. Once it's actually closer to completion, then we should here news about a translation.

Dismiss everything? Like what should I not dismiss? The amount of stupidity they have for just milking the hell out of Sonic whether his games end up good and bad which doesn't matter because all SEGA has to do is slap sonic to make profit and damn it they do it exceptionally well.

I want Phantasy Star 5 to happen and honestly with the Phantasy Star community still being out there, I don't see why that's not possible to happen.

Again, what major releases have they released last year other than a last gen game and just one solid retail 3DS game of Hatsumi Miku? Nothing. Even Capcom is far better than what SEGA could possibly achieve.

Where's Outrun, Shinobi (that 3DS one doesn't count because its a crappy one and doesn't even have composing of legendary Yuzo Koshiro), Phantasy Star, Shining Force and many other badass IP's that SEGA used to develop but now don't give a damn about them?

If SEGA can't even compete to the likes of even Capcom which only has Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, how the hell can SEGA even get to the likes of Platinum games? SEGA can easily survive by simply buying either Capcom or Platinum games. Infact, just buying game companies is the only good thing that SEGA can do. Take the EA route and just ignore your old self.

Honestly, If Nintendo weren't there to form a strong bond with SEGA, SEGA would be just gone off to dust by now. You should be grateful that they both have strong relationships without which, SEGA doesn't seem to be strong bonds with either Microsoft or Sony.

For every game that SEGA has made on the Vita, they can easily just remake them on the 3DS since the vita is a smaller market compared to the 3DS. Hell, just to support vita owners here, what's the reason we can't get Phantasy Star Nova to the west? Oh that's right, SEGA doesn't give a damn about the western market.

I'm expecting someone here ranting about Nintendo and you know what? I don't care about it. Why? because Nintendo is and always will be better than SEGA. even if they milk the heck out of Mario, Pokemon and Zelda, they atleast take extreme good care of them. SEGA taking very good care of Sonic? Yeah right.

Funny how you folks rant so much on Nintendo being crappy despite them being more of the opposite. Companies make mistakes and that's true, but SEGA has never valued their mistakes from the time they went third party and since then, they are screwed all over.

lol Artwark, mad much?

I really don't see it as grim as you paint it.. Sega's output has been pretty good, even the reviews show it, even though the bad games damage their reputation. Even more so when Sega makes so little marketing of their titles. Had Vanquish been published by EA it would've been an absolute blockbuster, as they have spent many million in far worse games.

Sega is niche. It doesn't have that marketing power.

If they are niche, then how the hell did they manage to sell their genesis games that huge? How the hell did they manage to make Sonic end up selling like 150 Million units? That's not niche. Niche is something that comes like about half a million and that's that. So you're saying that SEGA games can only sell half a million?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:19:34 am by Artwark »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:21 am »
SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Valkyria Chronicles
Alien Isolation
Binary Domain
Sonic Generations
Sonic Colours
Sonic Lost Worlds
typing of the dead
ports
Tembo the badass elephant
The Cave
Yakuza Series

Think that'll about do it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:51:14 am by Tad »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:51 am »
I want Phantasy Star 5 to happen and honestly with the Phantasy Star community still being out there, I don't see why that's not possible to happen.
Sega has been releasing Phantasy Star games almost every year for a decade. Most of which have Single Player storylines. I'd enjoy a fully fledged PS5, yes. But I really don't see a need for it.

Again, what major releases have they released last year other than a last gen game and just one solid retail 3DS game of Hatsumi Miku? Nothing. Even Capcom is far better than what SEGA could possibly achieve.
Yakuza Zero, 7th Dragon 3, Fighting Climax, Tembo, Total War Attila, etc.

Where's Outrun, Shinobi (that 3DS one doesn't count because its a crappy one and doesn't even have composing of legendary Yuzo Koshiro), Phantasy Star, Shining Force and many other badass IP's that SEGA used to develop but now don't give a damn about them?
As I said, Phantasy Star is one of Sega flagship IPs at the moment, the fuck you on about.
Also, calling Shinobi 3DS crappy is borderline trolling. I'm guessing you suck at it, that's why you're mad.
The Shining series has had 8 releases in the past 6 years. Please wake the fuck up.

Take the EA route and just ignore your old self.
For what purpose? For you to complain about even more series being ignored? Incoherent much?

Honestly, If Nintendo weren't there to form a strong bond with SEGA, SEGA would be just gone off to dust by now. You should be grateful that they both have strong relationships without which, SEGA doesn't seem to be strong bonds with either Microsoft or Sony.
An expected comment coming from a Nintendo fanboy. I guess Sony working with Sega on Shenmue 3 and striking exclusivity over PSO2, Valkyria and others won't be enough to convince you that Sega is very important for Sony in Japan.

Oh that's right, SEGA doesn't give a damn about the western market.
Of course not. Sega is a japanese company that makes japanese games for the japanese market.
It's Sega America who chooses what to bring over. And after the lukewarm reception of PSP and PSP2 I really don't see why they would bother to bring over PSN.

I'm expecting someone here ranting about Nintendo and you know what? I don't care about it. Why? because Nintendo is and always will be better than SEGA. even if they milk the heck out of Mario, Pokemon and Zelda, they atleast take extreme good care of them. SEGA taking very good care of Sonic? Yeah right.
Protip: Sega has released more good games than Nintendo in 2015. Enjoy going bankrupt in the next 4-6 years.

If they are niche, then how the hell did they manage to sell their genesis games that huge? How the hell did they manage to make Sonic end up selling like 150 Million units? That's not niche. Niche is something that comes like about half a million and that's that. So you're saying that SEGA games can only sell half a million?
On the other hand, how come Sony sells 150 million consoles if they didn't even make consoles back in 1992???!!

I'm not usually one to ask this, but seriously, what the hell are you doing in a Sega forum if you're a Nintendo fanboy.
SEG4GES

Offline Artwark

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:07 am »
Sega has been releasing Phantasy Star games almost every year for a decade. Most of which have Single Player storylines. I'd enjoy a fully fledged PS5, yes. But I really don't see a need for it.
Yakuza Zero, 7th Dragon 3, Fighting Climax, Tembo, Total War Attila, etc.
As I said, Phantasy Star is one of Sega flagship IPs at the moment, the fuck you on about.
Also, calling Shinobi 3DS crappy is borderline trolling. I'm guessing you suck at it, that's why you're mad.
The Shining series has had 8 releases in the past 6 years. Please wake the fuck up.
For what purpose? For you to complain about even more series being ignored? Incoherent much?
An expected comment coming from a Nintendo fanboy. I guess Sony working with Sega on Shenmue 3 and striking exclusivity over PSO2, Valkyria and others won't be enough to convince you that Sega is very important for Sony in Japan.
Of course not. Sega is a japanese company that makes japanese games for the japanese market.
It's Sega America who chooses what to bring over. And after the lukewarm reception of PSP and PSP2 I really don't see why they would bother to bring over PSN.
Protip: Sega has released more good games than Nintendo in 2015. Enjoy going bankrupt in the next 4-6 years.
On the other hand, how come Sony sells 150 million consoles if they didn't even make consoles back in 1992???!!

I'm not usually one to ask this, but seriously, what the hell are you doing in a Sega forum if you're a Nintendo fanboy.

Wrong. Sonic is SEGA's flagship IP and it still sells even for the crappy games. And yeah, maybe SEGA released a few good games last year.... like that lame Tembo game? Those dumb mobile games? The only ones that stand out are the ones coming from Atlus and creative assembly. You're just lucky that SEGA owns them otherwise, they are screwed. But what about years before that? Certainly Nintendo wins there. Sony selling consoles is easy in that they made it easier to make games for third parties like SEGA, simple as that. Nintendo is damn rich that they can't go bankrupt even after 6 years, what are you saying?

Also, when you say releases, talk about the ones released in the west, not the ones in Japan only. I can't believe you will go that far as to support them for games that they haven't even released in the west. Even I wouldn't defend games that Nintendo hasn't yet released for the west.

You obviously want to defend SEGA so much to the point that you will even defend them if they haven't released games to the west. wow.

As for what a Nintendo fanboy is doing here in a SEGA forum? Its pretty simple. Nintendo and SEGA are very close friends and SEGA is heavily influenced by Nintendo. Infact Nintendo saved SEGA and Capcom by collaborating with them on Mario and Sonic games and also has a heart of putting Sonic in Smash.

Why I'm angry at SEGA? Because SEGA made a fool out of Nintendo by making several unfinished and poorly made games on Nintendo platforms recently. Not only that, but they can't seem to promise me on working their ass off and delivering quality ass games like how Nintendo does majority of the times. If Nintendo can make profit despite the lack of huge games they released last year, how the hell do you think SEGA can compete over that?

You know what? I think I'm done. You seem to want to support SEGA even if they don't want to support you back so good luck on that and hopefully, SEGA doesn't do any more stupid crap like how they always did when making Sonic games.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 08:56:37 am »
I'm sorry, but I won't even waste my time replying to you further.. It's pretty obvious that either (A) you still have good part of 8 years of gaming history and events to catch up to or (B) you're a troll, and not a particular entertaining one.

Maybe you should send an email to Sega on how angry you are. They won't read it..but I'm sure lifting whatever's on your chest might cheer you up a bit.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 09:19:24 am »
I'm trying really hard to read through each of Artwark's posts, but they are just walls of text riddled with blatant inaccuracies and misdirected anger. Given Artwark seems to be on his own here, I see little reason to form a rebuttal. Especially given he doesn't seem to want to have a conversation that allows for changing ones opinions.

Offline MercenaryOne

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:31 am »
I am angry at Sega about ignoring the West and not releasing titles under the old IP's in the west as well Artwark, but it is their decision. I don't know what the latest Shining games are like, nor what other IP's they continue to release over there. But they just aren't ready to invest in the West. VC was a sleeper hit, and it made them think twice about the West, they just don't want to take heavy risks. I can't blame them entirely on that. Sega has a history of certain genre's of games that did well, and those types did well in Japan, not the US. There is a HUGE cultural difference in gaming tastes, and until Sega breaks that cultural difference in their games there is no reason to waste money releasing them in the West.

The few people that like or even remotely remember the original Shining series won't keep the IP afloat in the US. Most people see the crappy ones on the PS2 and GBA. I had no idea Shining series even continued till a few years ago when my friend moved to Japan and told me they are on mobile phones. I honestly thought the IP was dead.

Every person that grew up with PS wants PS5 to happen, but again you have to remember that the Sega community that even remembers or enjoys those games is trivial. Gaming trends come and go, but in US where FPS's are flooding the market and each one still sells extremely well, and where American kids would rather punch a hooker and run over a politician, than play JRPG or TBSRPG, Sega doesn't have that mindset in their games, as that is not what the Japanese prefer, and that is their primary market.

Let them do what they want to do, and all we can do is hope that Sega decides to start taking risks and come out on top.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »
Personally I think Sega should just include english as a language option on japanese games. That way we could import.
But that takes up resources as well
SEG4GES

Offline segafan1984

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
I keep seeing this "SEGA keep milking Sonic", but they haven't been 'milking' him in the last 3 or 4 years. They don't release as many games like they use to, and last year besides ports, mobile, and PC we didn't get no physical Sonic releases at all. We're not going to make any kind of progress if people still continue to think that SEGA is still 'milking' Sonic, and all they make is crappy games and ignore the good games that came out.

Also, this topic is slowly turning into another lame "Nintendo vs SEGA" thread that got closed down a few months ago. *sigh*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:44:48 am by segafan1984 »

Offline MercenaryOne

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:48 pm »
Personally I think Sega should just include english as a language option on japanese games. That way we could import.
But that takes up resources as well

I would love for English translation on games that were never released to US, especially older ones. Either to a medium like Steam or Xbox, similar to what they have done with the Sega Classics on Steam. I would think but am probably wrong that it would require minimal work for decent cash flow.