Author Topic: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west  (Read 64918 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 01:10:38 am »
I think in PSO2's case, the f2p aspect affected the core game way too much. I find it really weird for some reason. Some f2p games like spiral knights for example, just make getting things take longer or challenging depending on the way you look at it. PSO2 just locks out stuff like trading completely. Makes obtaining things from the auction impossible because wealth is so divided between those who pay and those who dont. And my biggest gripe is that the focus is put too much on catering to the people who pay instead of polishing the core game into a solid experience. I dont know how succesful this would be in the west

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:07 am »
Welcome to the new SEGA and SEGA's brave new  digital world - which means not only consoles users but even mobile users in the West will be pissed . Nice one Sammy SEGA.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 03:13:12 am »
What.

The.

Fuck.

Are.

You.

Talking.

About.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:06 am »
Most of SEGA Japan output will never come to the West and I really doubt PSO II will ever come out over here. Still we got Football Manager and Total War - True SEGA Games with blue sky's.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:15 am »
I agree its a tragedy that Phantasy Star Online 2 didn't come out west, really fantastic jab at the company. Should Creative Assembly make Streets of Rage or something to your liking? So it can sell 40k copies?

You do know how stupid your argument is? "Still get Football Manager and Total War" pretending that those games are the reason that PSO2 didn't come out west. If that is your argument, I don't even know what to say.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 04:31:28 am »
No its not and you its not .  The new SEGA Japan that is going all digital will mean more and more Mobile games and less and less of their games coming over here , lets face it ok .

Just ask yourself this George . In 10 to 15 years time, can you see this site (if its still going) celebrating SEGA games like this site does now looking back 15 years ago to the likes of SEGA WOW, Smilebit ECT .Can you really see this site talking and praising so foundly SEGA Japan current output and all us looking back at how great SEGA Mobile teams are and their games were .

I really can't and that's the trouble I have .

I agree its a tragedy that Phantasy Star Online 2 didn't come out west,

Its a disgrace. the best and most magical thing about PSO was the way it brought players from around the world together - All that is totally lost with PSO II. Its such a shame and tragic
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48:53 am »
Source : http://www.tssznews.com/2015/03/31/source-sega-approached-sony-about-pso2-vita-localization/
I wouldn't put too much stock in TSSZNews being right when it comes to their own sources.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 09:03:52 am »
Do we have to do this same 'digital' argument again TA? PSO2 is a digital only game, so why do you care whether it comes west or not? By your own admission digital titles aren't 'SEGA DNA' and aren't memorable.

SEGA have always made a verity of games and that 'blue sky' waffle applies to a VERY slim few of them. Not to mention talking badly about Total War, Football Manager or other Western made SEGA games just because you don't like them is really obnoxious. Plenty of SEGA classics were made outside of Japan, including one of my all time favourites, Comix Zone.

I became a SEGA fan because they developed/published a variety of games, in a variety of genres and managed to always make them really awesome. I didn't care who developed them, or in which country. Is Alien Isolation or Total War, or SEGA Racing Transformed or whatever bad games because they weren't developed by Yu Suzuki? In Japan? Are they less 'SEGA DNA' than Ecco the Dolphin? If that is what you believe, I'd love to know the mental gymnastics you're doing to come to that conclusion.
Made by SEGA

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 09:50:59 am »
Do we have to do this same 'digital' argument again TA? PSO2 is a digital only game, so why do you care whether it comes west or not? By your own admission digital titles aren't 'SEGA DNA' and aren't memorable.

SEGA have always made a verity of games and that 'blue sky' waffle applies to a VERY slim few of them. Not to mention talking badly about Total War, Football Manager or other Western made SEGA games just because you don't like them is really obnoxious. Plenty of SEGA classics were made outside of Japan, including one of my all time favourites, Comix Zone.

I became a SEGA fan because they developed/published a variety of games, in a variety of genres and managed to always make them really awesome. I didn't care who developed them, or in which country. Is Alien Isolation or Total War, or SEGA Racing Transformed or whatever bad games because they weren't developed by Yu Suzuki? In Japan? Are they less 'SEGA DNA' than Ecco the Dolphin? If that is what you believe, I'd love to know the mental gymnastics you're doing to come to that conclusion.
Pretty much this. And to add to that, a SEGA published game developed by a non-SEGA studio like Tembo the Badass Elephant is as much of a SEGA game as ToeJam & Earl. Only difference is that SEGA isn't publishing it on one of their own consoles.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:02 am »

I haven't talked badly at all about Total War at all and you start to make a list of the so called classic that SEGA America/Europe made compared In-House to the output of Japan and we all know SEGA Japan kiled them  and tbh SEGA Japan killed most other devleopers only SEGA Japan could have made the likes of Shenmue, JSR, REZ, Panzer Dragon Saga, Mickey Mouse  Skies of Arcadia , Sonic , F355, Burning Rangers, Phantasy Star series , Switch, Streets Of Rage II, Shinobi Series, Sega Rally I and II , Virtual Racing , Yakuza, NiGHTS, Orta, Virtual Fighter, Virtual Tennis  and so many more classics its untrue, never mind the ones SOJ also produced   

I liked plenty of SEGA West In-House games, quite alot of what they produced too (I think I must the only one who loved Bug)  but compared to the likes of SEGA Japan did its a non content and what I see happing to the corp to the talent and the staff inside SEGA Japan makes me sick as does seeing them more and more backing mobile.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:23 am »
Lately I thought about it, but really regardless of Sega not localizing games is financially viable or not - ever since the Mega Drive games, Sega was always bringing out the counter culture of games, it's their DNA, what people remember them for. That is evidenced by the fact that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were barely localized, while every Shining and Phantasy Star title was. Today it is the backwards situation.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 10:38:24 am »
The localization is a real issue, I hate it and it's dumb...  Hopefully Atlus begin publishing the games SEGA don't. But digital titles are not a problem, and SEGA West's games are no less 'SEGA' than any other. All that matters at the end of the day is quality titles. If you don't like the genre, or the hardware then that's your problem.
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2015, 10:54:22 am »
Yeah digital was always destined to be Sega's fortune, look at their message from annual reports during 2002, or 1999...leading network company and so on.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2015, 11:03:36 am »
What did you want, really?
That's a simple question that nobody included myself hasn't able to respond correctly.

If anything could happen this year, we will get Yakuza 5, Miku, DBFG, 3D Classics,  Another Digital Western IP and maybe the next-gen multiplat Sonic.
What more did you want with how the market is it now?
Another failure like Sega Heritage, Virtua Tennis 4 and more?
Do you think there is a loyal fanbase in consoles that will buy Sega stuff besides Sonic first week or month?

Say what you want but this site is posting Sega news mostly every week and time says that Sega didn't stop their Input for better or worst. Why? Simple, because games like Total War and Football Manager keep selling every iteration every month...and they only are released in PC.

Sonic Dash has almost 100 million downloads and 1+million daily users active. "Sonic is dead and Sonic is not relevant to peole anymore" my ass.
Do I need to tell you how good they are doing in Japan? Oh well, I think I need to talk about how any freaking japanese dev are leaving the consoles.

Heck, I think I shouldn't talk about this, but Capcom is the only one that doesn't "deal" with this and they streamlined every IP's into digital, exclusive releases or more online games.
And you know, every company except Konami is helping Capcom in one way or another because they didn't have the money to releases full traditional games like before.

Keep saying thigs about the devs losing "Sega DNA" for mobile, TA. I will only say that "time will tell" to make you an answer. Keep looking...

Offline Trippled

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2015, 11:26:13 am »
Is Virtua Tennis 4 really a failure. They highlighted in a financial report for doing a million.

Hell NiGHTS on Steam did better than the Mickey Mouse game (info from the SteamSpy website http://steamspy.com/dev/SEGA)