Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines  (Read 112751 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:41 am »
Probably not.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2013, 05:24:35 am »
And it's official, the Wii-U version has been thrown under the bus:

“Sega can confirm that the Wii U SKU of Aliens: Colonial Marines is no longer in development.”

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #287 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:35 am »
Interesting article about the lawsuit
http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/05/sega-sued-for-false-advertising-of-aliens-colonial-marines/

When “Aliens: Colonial Marines” hit the stores in February, disgruntled gamers say the first-person shooter video game they bought was not the same one demonstrated by Sega and Gearbox Software in the years leading up to its release. And they’re suing the companies for false advertising to prove it.

Claiming the video game he – and everyone else in the United States – bought not only sucks but is also part of an unfair and unlawful “bait and switch” scheme, gamer Damion Perrine has filed suit in federal court in California.

Alien Disappointment

When Sega demoed the game in 2011, it reportedly looked like it was closely based on the well-known horror film “Aliens” (1986). Much anticipation built in the years the game was being developed, and its release was delayed.

When it finally hit the shelves, reviews were not good: some pointed to poor graphics that were “weird” and “clumsy,” others to a disappointing story line, and uninspiring incentives to continue playing. Critics were a rough crowd, but fans took it to the next level – the courthouse.

“Each of the ‘actual gameplay’ demonstrations purported to show customers exactly what they would be buying: a cutting edge video game with very specific features and qualities,” the complaint states.

“Unfortunately for their fans, Defendants never told anyone – consumers, industry critics, reviewers or reporters – that their ‘actual gameplay’ demonstration advertising campaign bore little resemblance to the retail product that would eventually be sold to a large community of unwitting purchasers.”

In fact, Sega and Gearbox allegedly refused to let any reviews of the real product be released until after the game hit the stores. And Gearbox’s CEO even tweeted that it was “understood” that a big gap existed between the demos and the actual game, which many consumers either pre-ordered or bought on the release date – thus being unable to read the negative reviews and perhaps decide not to buy it.

The plaintiffs are demanding that Sega and Gearbox not only refund buyers’ money but also give them any profits made from sales of the game, in addition to punitive damages. The complaint says those amounts exceed $5 million. Sega reportedly sold the game to a total of 1.31 million buyers in 2012.

Suit Is a Rarity

False advertising suits like Perrine’s, complaining that final versions of media releases don’t match pre-release previews, are very rare, says Eric Goldman, a law professor at Santa Clara University School of Law and the director of its High Tech Law Institute. The closest analogy is movie trailers, which he points out often contain scenes and dialogue that aren’t included in the final version of the film. 

Professor Eric Goldman

“Although consumers often grumble about the discrepancies between the trailers and the movie, we rarely see lawsuits over movie trailers,” he says, pointing to only one, a reportedly frivolous suit in Michigan involving the movie “Drive.”

“I’m not aware of a similar lawsuit in the video game context,” Goldman says, adding that the plaintiffs face an uphill battle in the courtroom: “[T]he previews were explicitly labeled ‘work in progress,’ . . . many consumers didn’t directly see the previews but putatively relied on the media coverage and word of mouth they generated (which involved inherently subjective interpretations of the previews), and . . . the reviews immediately trashed Sega for its release.”

He says the last problem – the complaint’s limiting purchases to those made on or before the release date – “is an unusual limitation for a class action lawsuit” and notes that it may be difficult for buyers to prove when they purchased the game.

Consumers: FTW?

If Perrine survives a motion to dismiss and is able to certify – or prove the existence of – a class, Goldman predicts that the plaintiffs have a good shot at getting at least a settlement.

But how many consumers would take advantage of their “WIN” is a whole other question. “As a practical matter, resolving complaints like this through class action lawsuits is never fully satisfactory,” he says. “Most consumers will not tender a claim to a pool of money set aside for them, so it will be difficult or impossible to repay any overpayments consumers made.”

There are many reasons why consumers don’t follow through on their class action wins, Goldman explains, from inadequate notice of the suit through ads to payouts that aren’t valuable to them (such as coupons for discounts on their next purchase). “Even if the coupon’s dollar value is high, some consumers may be so angry that they never want to give another dime to Sega,” Goldman imagines, “so the coupon is worthless to them.”

I actually feel this is a dangerous precedent if the complainants wins because it sets a dangerous precedent anyone can sue a games company because they didn't like what they played or have  ascore to settle.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:52 am »
I'm currently playing it hehe

First I played it in local coop with a friend, and after 15min he asked me to "turn it off, this game sucks".
Then I played in local coop with another friend, and after 20min he asked me to "change the game disk".
After that I played in local coop with my sister, and after 20min she said "it's enough".

hehe
Finally, I played the campaign alone, and so far the game is no bad, it's actually average.
I've just finished mission 02.
I did not test the online neither the multiplayer modes yet.
Are there many people playing it online ?

Nearly 07 months after the game's release, do you still have the same opinion about it ?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »
I've yet to play it, but I think i'll pick it up when it drops to $10. Typically I support SEGA and buy new and on release, but not when the title is bad. I don't want to support bad games. :P

AJ is supposedly playing it though, and has a review lined up for Halloween. Can't wait for that!

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #290 on: September 02, 2013, 02:46:27 pm »
Interesting article about the lawsuit
I actually feel this is a dangerous precedent if the complainants wins because it sets a dangerous precedent anyone can sue a games company because they didn't like what they played or have  ascore to settle.

I don't really agree in this scenario when Gearbox crafted a high quality scenario to demonstrate and market to the public despite knowing full & well said scenario wasn't representative of the end product. Games obviously cut material all the time but typically they come close to the quality found in early previews worst case, or even surpass those early demoes.

This was pure and blatant misrepresentation of the product, intentionally so. I'd say a false advertisement suit is warranted.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #291 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »
I've yet to play it, but I think i'll pick it up when it drops to $10. Typically I support SEGA and buy new and on release, but not when the title is bad. I don't want to support bad games. :P

AJ is supposedly playing it though, and has a review lined up for Halloween. Can't wait for that!
Why even buy it?

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #292 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »

I've finished the game, and have replayed it since. The review will be up come October 30th. JOY!

@MadeManG74 - It's always good to try things for yourself. Admittedly, I love Aliens and I was really looking forward to Colonial Marines. I had to try it for myself.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2013, 12:14:22 am »
I didn't realise Barry was that big a fan of Aliens that he would want to buy a universally panned game.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #294 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:12 am »
The 32X was almost universally panned upon its release - Hell, it still gets a lot of shit to this day - but we love it all the same. :D
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #295 on: September 05, 2013, 07:26:38 am »
I didn't realise Barry was that big a fan of Aliens that he would want to buy a universally panned game.

LOL! What the hell are you talking about? I'm not a "big fan" of Aliens by a long stretch, and I assure you that I know it is a universally panned game. However, thats the draw. I want to play it for myself to see just how shitty it is.

I guess it just goes with the territory. If I want to run a SEGA fan site, I have to dip my toes in the waters even if I know Aliens: CM is a murky, disgusting water. I'd rather have a first hand opinion than continually say "Oh, I heard it's shit."

And like I said, I'll buy it eventually, but the price it going to have to be incredibly low. $10 or less is my limit.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #296 on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:45 pm »
LOL! What the hell are you talking about? I'm not a "big fan" of Aliens by a long stretch, and I assure you that I know it is a universally panned game. However, thats the draw. I want to play it for myself to see just how shitty it is.

I guess it just goes with the territory. If I want to run a SEGA fan site, I have to dip my toes in the waters even if I know Aliens: CM is a murky, disgusting water. I'd rather have a first hand opinion than continually say "Oh, I heard it's shit."

And like I said, I'll buy it eventually, but the price it going to have to be incredibly low. $10 or less is my limit.

Wasn't it just like $5 on Steam last week? Newegg had the PC version for free after rebate two months ago, I almost bit.

Online Berto

• Total Meseta: 22