Author Topic: Yakuza I and II Wii u is off the charts!  (Read 25170 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Yakuza I and II Wii u is off the charts!
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:42 am »

For a publisher like Sega, profits come from a dedicated fanbase buying their games. The Total War fanbase is certainly happy with the franchise (and Sega, presumably) and that has been a consistently profitable business for them. That is a dedicated fanbase.

Other aspects of Sega has lost this dedicated fanbase over the years and I'd definitely argue that their games' sales have suffered as a result. Capcom is learning that very same thing; it used to be that many Capcom games were guaranteed at least a certain degree of success by their very name alone. No longer the case. Having a dedicated and happy core fanbase, especially for smaller, more niche publishers, is crucial, IMO, to their continued success.

I know it's brought up continually, but a company like Atlus, like Sega, doesn't always have the money to spend big dollars on marketing. But Atlus' fanbase is almost like its own community, and they reliably buy their games regardless.

I said the very same thing but people like TA tried to slam me for it. Sega's fanbase isn't the same fanbase like it was back during their console eras. Modern Sega is effectivly a house full of franchises with a fanbase following only that franchise. The dedicated sega game that goes for any sega game in any genre is very small compared to the fanbase that only plays sonic and nothing else from sega. The same goes for YAKUZA and TOTAL WAR and many others be it originally from Sega or acquired by Sega. The difference with capcom though is Sega never tried to re-unify the sega fanbase in the first place after the DC fallout. Now while this has made the company profitable and one of the big publishers, The sense of a sega identity is lost because their dedicated fanbase isn't being catered to as much and they are failing to get people who play their popular games to play other games they make. Until Sega sorts this out i dont think any new sega or sega second party game can sell solid numbers unless it appeals to an average gamer.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:28 am »
When Sega becomes a company whose killer aps are games like Aliens: Colonial Marines, they're not going to end up with any sort of dedicated fanbase.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 12:54:17 am »
When Sega becomes a company whose killer aps are games like Aliens: Colonial Marines, they're not going to end up with any sort of dedicated fanbase.

They got dedicated fanbases with total war and football manager, man, those two games sell TONS

but yeah, i agree they aren't going to be making a fan out of me either if they keep refusing to localize Japanese games. Sonic is nice, but it's not enough.

Offline Ben

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 06:56:46 am »
Those games sell well because of dedicated fanbases, lol. Had both series been created today, they would not be automatic successes because they wouldn't have the benefit of a fanbase who already knows to buy them.

Aki seems to be saying that appeasing their fanbase isn't important for Sega and that profit should be their most important goal. Profit's definitely important, don't get me wrong...Sega needs profit to keep making games.

But short-term profit will mean nothing in the long run if it means an unhappy core fanbase, as a core fanbase are the ones who actually buy the games. 

Atlus' games are far more niche than Sega's, yet they never seem to have to worry much about their games bombing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:48:35 am by Ben »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
They got dedicated fanbases with total war and football manager, man, those two games sell TONS

but yeah, i agree they aren't going to be making a fan out of me either if they keep refusing to localize Japanese games. Sonic is nice, but it's not enough.

But that's the point. Those are dedicated fan bases for TOTAL WAR and FOOTBALL MANAGER and now COMPANY OF HEROES. But those guys will only buy those titles. There isn't a strong and big enough Sega dedicated base on consoles that would pick up at least more than one sega made game.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 03:29:14 pm »
Did the downloadable games not do well or something? We should have a year like 2012 every year.

Offline Ben

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »
There used to be....hell, this company used to create video game systems at one point.

Sega really should be aiming to develop hardcore fans again, and for their own IP, not for IP that they purchase.

And no the download games did not do particularly well, if I remember correctly Sega actually made more money off of retail game sales in 2012 than digital....

Offline ROJM

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 06:04:40 am »
Yeah but that's when they started to transition from retail to digital. Now its kinda the other way round with digital taking the lead. Too bad because there was some solid digital games from that period like the new version of GUARDIAN HEROES and RENEGADE OPS.

Offline Ben

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 08:35:07 pm »
Actually last year was their big "digital year" so it wasn't much of a good sign for Sega's luck with the digital medium.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:44 pm »
There used to be....hell, this company used to create video game systems at one point.

Sega really should be aiming to develop hardcore fans again, and for their own IP, not for IP that they purchase.

I like you. We are right. But that won't happen and it makes me sad. :'(

That said, I'd totally buy Yakuza 1&2 HD on Wii. In a heartbeat. All I've got for my Wii U is New Super Mario Bros and Saaanic Racing. Which I apparently suck balls at and got a bit tired of after a while.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2013, 09:35:06 am »
Hmm...chances seem pretty slim. What type of Japanese gamer would you have to be to own ONLY a Wii last gen? Probably not one who would ever buy a Yakuza game....I could have told Sega that. Had this title come out on the Wii U at the same time as the PS3 version, I think it could have done better. But how well do you expect a recent "port-of-a-port" to do?

If Nintendo really had a hand in this, then it was a dumb decision on their part. To really have made waves, the new Edo Yakuza game should have come to Wii U.

Japan is not a home console market, the previous generation the dominate platforms were handhelds, this generation, and more specfically this year, the Nintendo 3DS and the Playstation Vita are the best selling console this year, so it is possible a person may have owned one console and one handheld. As I said, it was a test for the market to see if anyone who purchased a Wii U would be interested in Yakuza and let's be honest, software sales even for core titles have been abysmal so I am not sure if it did launch with the Playstation 3 version it would do much better.

Ishin may have come to the Wii U at some point, or even further spinoffs to the series, it all is Nintendo trying to court popular titles home console experience on the system, but this performance is not going to encourage SEGA to invest in the platform with this particular brand.

All that it will do is make SEGA ponder why they should even bother with a Wii U version if the demograph already exists on the Playstation 3 with no major expansion coming to the Wii U.

Hmm. Interesting. Though I don't think there's much of a hope of it hitting Yakuza 1/2 numbers.

They will not, but the series has not experienced a 50% decline either, perhaps 20% - 30% decline thanks to Japan shifting from home consoles to portables.

Final Fantasy games and Dragon Quest games sell millions. Their ports don't always even do well.....the audience of ports is fairly limited. Yakuza is a popular Japanese franchise but my point is that it's not one where a port of 2 old games is guaranteed to be a huge success.

The title was never intended to be a hugh success, by most accounts it would have been a failure at the shipment that was sent out (10,000 units) not even 50% of that low target will be achieved.

Considering the fact that Yakuza 4 essentially only "broke even" at the 500,000 mark, (IIRC) I'm not sure how you could even consider labeling a 100,000+ seller on an HD system as "solid."

That was Yakuza 3 which had to develop a new engine at the time. Just like how Gears of War 2 costs a lot less than Gears of War 1 despite having more content, the groundwork was laid out in the previous games. Same with Yakuza 5, most of the work was already done in Binary Domain.

I was speaking broadly, most games in Japan are solid sellers at 100,000+ tend to be handheld titles, but those titles do exist on the Playstation 3 too. Konami's Pro Baseball series, From Software's Armored Core series and Koei's Dynasty Warriors sidegames.

But I do not think budget should have any reflection on what is considered solid sales, Tomb Raider failed to meet turn a profit Square at over 3 million sales, that should not mean that sales considered less than solid, it is exceptional. And Yakuza is consistently one of the best selling series in Japan, calling it a solid seller would be labelling most of Japan's software sales as underperforming.

Ah, I see.

What I said was;

By "some people" I wasn't referring specifically to you.....didn't mean for you to take it as such.

Ah that clears things up.

For a publisher like Sega, profits come from a dedicated fanbase buying their games. The Total War fanbase is certainly happy with the franchise (and Sega, presumably) and that has been a consistently profitable business for them. That is a dedicated fanbase.

Other aspects of Sega has lost this dedicated fanbase over the years and I'd definitely argue that their games' sales have suffered as a result. Capcom is learning that very same thing; it used to be that many Capcom games were guaranteed at least a certain degree of success by their very name alone. No longer the case. Having a dedicated and happy core fanbase, especially for smaller, more niche publishers, is crucial, IMO, to their continued success.

I know it's brought up continually, but a company like Atlus, like Sega, doesn't always have the money to spend big dollars on marketing. But Atlus' fanbase is almost like its own community, and they reliably buy their games regardless.

Capcom is more successful now than they have ever been. Where was this dedicated fanbase to support Okami, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe 2 etc amongst other games?

The same for SEGA minus their hugely successful Mega Drive period.

The dedicated fanbase does not exist on a scale that can support a major company, you go back and see their sales history. People like two or three SEGA franchises but a universal fanbase is and has always been minor.

Nor should SEGA be compared to Atlus. $1 million profit is a major accomplishment for Atlus, to a major company like SEGA it would be considered a failure. SEGA is globally like the sixth or seventh biggest third party publisher, trying to pigeon hole them into Atlus' status is ridiculous since they have four titles that outsell Atlus' whole output whilst a further two titles that usually better the sales of any given Atlus title.

Offline Ben

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 11:19:24 pm »
Japan is not a home console market, the previous generation the dominate platforms were handhelds, this generation, and more specfically this year, the Nintendo 3DS and the Playstation Vita are the best selling console this year, so it is possible a person may have owned one console and one handheld. As I said, it was a test for the market to see if anyone who purchased a Wii U would be interested in Yakuza and let's be honest, software sales even for core titles have been abysmal so I am not sure if it did launch with the Playstation 3 version it would do much better.

All that it will do is make SEGA ponder why they should even bother with a Wii U version if the demograph already exists on the Playstation 3 with no major expansion coming to the Wii U.

I'm not necessarily saying that it would do *much* better but I'm sure it would have done better. Late ports are almost never successful, almost as a rule. And not only is this a late port, but it's a late port of two ported games. I just don't think the ceiling for its success is particularly high. It's true that games are struggling to sell on the Wii U, but I don't think that this is the game to use as a benchmark.

Sega will likely use this as an excuse for future Wii U support, I agree, but as a rule I don't think that using a game that's been available on other systems is a good means to determine future 3rd party support.

The title was never intended to be a hugh success, by most accounts it would have been a failure at the shipment that was sent out (10,000 units) not even 50% of that low target will be achieved.

I'm certainly not arguing that its sales were low. But how was the marketing? If they only shipped 10,000 units it's clear that they were not expecting success. Did they promote this at all?

But I do not think budget should have any reflection on what is considered solid sales, Tomb Raider failed to meet turn a profit Square at over 3 million sales, that should not mean that sales considered less than solid, it is exceptional. 

Tomb Raider (I believe) profited, but Square-Enix was hoping it would do better. But anyway. I feel that the amount of profit a game makes does determine whether it's considered a success or not; afterall, Shenmue sold 1.2 million units, (better than the past few Yakuza games) but the game was cedrtainly not deemed a success.

Capcom is more successful now than they have ever been. Where was this dedicated fanbase to support Okami, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe 2 etc amongst other games?

Well, Godhand received fairly mixed reception; there's only so much a fanbase can do. But the fans kept Okami going, it got a Wii port, a sequel, and a HD remaster. Viewtiful Joe 2 it's true underperformed, I admit. I don't mean to say that a dedicated fanbase is everything but it's definitely something that I feel helps.

SEGA is globally like the sixth or seventh biggest third party publisher, trying to pigeon hole them into Atlus' status is ridiculous since they have four titles that outsell Atlus' whole output whilst a further two titles that usually better the sales of any given Atlus title.

I'm not sure exactly what Sega's spending their money on but their games aren't particularly impressive from a production value standpoint; I actually think they'd benefit from scaling down to Atlus' size, to be honest.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:25:54 pm by Ben »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2013, 09:30:49 am »
If Sega wants to cultivate a fanbase for their entire brand, they should implement some sort of rewards system that motivates consumers to buy all of their games. However, I think it's been their goal to downplay their brand identity over the past several years and just focus on the games. Realistically, like with most things Sega, there seems to be some internal conflict over how to handle this.

The fact that there are Sega fans is mostly a carryover from their arcade and console legacy. It's something valuable that most other publishers don't have -- Nintendo is the probably the only comparable company in that regard... maybe Capcom to a lesser degree. Although their are people who will stick to mostly buying EA games (like some friends of mine), it's not like they have some kind of heartfelt affiliation, they just regard them as being reliable. They can count on a game of some standard level of quality. They are also being pandered to with a safe, ego-stroking, dude-ish EA culture.  When you buy an EA game, you get some reassurance that you're "normal." Sega has always been much more volatile, really... able to soar to unequaled heights, but they also burn you sometimes.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:20 am »
W101 was almost off the charts as well this week.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 07:10:23 am »
I always read this thread title as the positive connotation of being "off the charts", then I remember it's a negative and it makes me sad.