Author Topic: Koji Igarashi - Castlevania successor - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night  (Read 11969 times)

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
I think it's neccesary to have low expectations with any Kickstarter game, even if they "look" good on papers.

I hope this trend of "approaching a miracle after the mother company neglected to produce any more of this games" will end because especulation can be a thing to work but not workable everytime and results could tell that difference.

If Mighty NÂș9 doesn't turn on to be a very good deal like everybody says when the KS was revealed, I won't be surprised but people will realize why Capcom doesn't want to produce more similar Megaman games regulary anymore.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
 Yeah its just concept art and honestly looks fine. I always wanted a Castlevania game that looked like a animated oil painting. I dunno why but the franchise always gave me a 'painting in a castle' vibe since I first played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KH-IhBTiQ

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
 @nirmugen

The only difference I see is that keije inafune is a business man and koji igarashi a genuine game designer. The reason why i poing this out is because catlevania games have always been great under his name. Almost every single one has been an excellent game so i trust the guy when it comes to designing the games, in contrast to keiji inafune working with the same guys who were the reasons why megaman started to become average. Not bad though. I even enjoyed megaman ZX. It just lost a bit of focus. And now with mighty nr9 it shows that despite the money being there, both the idea and implementation just isnt well thought out imho.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:42:08 pm by CrazyT »

Offline CrazyT

Seems the game is going to use unreal engine. So basically 3d models confirmed?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/243131/QA_Castlevanias_Koji_Igarashi_returns_with_new_game_Bloodstained.php

I know you have strong feelings about both 2D and 3D gameplay. How are you tackling making Unreal Engine produce a game that lives up to your high standards of 2D gameplay?

KI: It really depends on how you define what's 2D and what's 3D, but I really don't see any problem with 2D gameplay mechanics. I think it's important to polish the presentation of a game over time. Unreal Engine has incredibly high standards of presentation, though, so I don't think we'll have any problems putting this game together.

We know the fans want heavy 2D gameplay, and that will be a focus with both visuals and gameplay. But going the traditional pixel route was never an option due to budget and manpower restraints -- games this extensive would require a unrealistic number of pixel artists, and Unreal Engine was a perfect middle-ground solution.

Its probably not gonna look anything like the concept arts if thats the case

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Yeah its just concept art and honestly looks fine. I always wanted a Castlevania game that looked like a animated oil painting...
Again, this is the Mighty No. 9 situation. This is concept art: not what the actual game will look like. Which was already confirmed by it being 2.5D. So unless they pull a Guilty Gear, it's not going to look anywhere near what the concept art looks like.

Just a reminder, this is the concept art that was used for the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter:

This is what it the game actually looks like:

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Is it possible they could pull something like how Guilty Gear Xrd made its characters look even when using Unreal Engine 3?

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
Is it possible they could pull something like how Guilty Gear Xrd made its characters look even when using Unreal Engine 3?
It's possible, but I wouldn't expect them to go for a similar style.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Those aren't screenshots. :V

Thread starter > MadeManG

Recent comment > Tembo looks like a flash game

Why'd you have to ruin my joke Timmi : <

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro

S-sorry. :(

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision

YOU'RE A REAL FUNNY CUNT AREN'T YA?

I'm not sure if you're saying this looks like Tembo or just having a laff, but either way I like the idea of an old school Castlevania game though.

Offline CrazyT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvvAnUFM6cw

Game is looking pretty decent

And wow the game has already reached 5.5 million dollars! In comparison mighty no9 made 3.85 million total. Publishers (konami) are really making themselves look stupid imo

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
I don't think Konami cares, there are mobile games that make that every month for years, that will cost a fraction of a million to create. Getting funded for 5.5 million =/= good sales. I mean, its good that there is a cult following but that was never a question. We all know Castlevania had a cult following.

Sadly for publishers, it doesn't work like kickstarter. You get the set price of your item and thats it. 64,867 backers is nice, but for a publisher thats 65k sales for your game on real paper. We shall see how it does when its out.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
And wow the game has already reached 5.5 million dollars! In comparison mighty no9 made 3.85 million total. Publishers (konami) are really making themselves look stupid imo

As George said, if anything, Konami is the smart one here. Spend a couple of million and make $50 million on one product or spend a few million and only make double your money back.

Smart business is making mobile games, making traditional games is either to diversify your portfolio or just because you like doing it, it's not a sound investment compared to mobile for big publishers unfortunately.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Came to say exactly what Aki and George said.
Still, I think Kickstarter is a great avenue for niche games like this, and I hope it turns out well.

EDIT: The 2.5 effects look quite nice.

EDIT 2: WHY IS THE PLASTIC STILL ON THE SCREEN!?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:48:02 am by MadeManG74 »