Author Topic: Hip Hop Gamer talks Shenmue + interviews for Alpha Protocol  (Read 15240 times)

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Hip Hop Gamer talks Shenmue + interviews for Alpha Protocol
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:36:20 pm »
Is Sega really that stupid? That would completely destroy its chances in the Japanese market, while being developed by the Japanese wouldn't matter either way over here. And who the hell is even competent enough in the west to develop that kind of game?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ROJM_old

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
Is Sega really that stupid? That would completely destroy its chances in the Japanese market, while being developed by the Japanese wouldn't matter either way over here. And who the hell is even competent enough in the west to develop that kind of game?

Yeah but that plan is only meant for the western markets anyway so it wouldn't get a japanese release. A lot of them haven't apart from a few games. Its not like its actually worked since most of them have flopped. Its only Sega superstars reinterpretation that have succeeded thus far.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »
House of the Dead Overkill has been a relative success, all things considered. And it certainly rubbed critics the right way.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 04:26:31 pm »
It said they would use the Bayonetta engine, not that they would be having PG make the game. And if the contract states that SEGA owns Bayonetta, I'm sure they own the work that they paid for, aka the engine.

Offline ROJM_old

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 09:44:19 am »
Quote from: "George"
It said they would use the Bayonetta engine, not that they would be having PG make the game. And if the contract states that SEGA owns Bayonetta, I'm sure they own the work that they paid for, aka the engine.

No they don't own the engine. Since Bayonetta's engine is just an advanced form of the one used in DMC, Capcom should have owned the engine but obviously they didn't patent it. The same thing happened with Bizarre Creations and the engine used for MSR. Sega owns the name and code but they didn't own the engine. The same thing happened with Sports Interactive when they took the engine used for Championship Manager and called it Football manager under Sega. Like I said before PG plans to use that engine for another sequel and spin off,they wouldn't want another title that they're not involved with using their engine.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 10:24:40 am »
Quote from: "ROJM"

No they don't own the engine. Since Bayonetta's engine is just an advanced form of the one used in DMC, Capcom should have owned the engine but obviously they didn't patent it. The same thing happened with Bizarre Creations and the engine used for MSR. Sega owns the name and code but they didn't own the engine. The same thing happened with Sports Interactive when they took the engine used for Championship Manager and called it Football manager under Sega. Like I said before PG plans to use that engine for another sequel and spin off,they wouldn't want another title that they're not involved with using their engine.

You guys can't just spit this out as fact. I'm willing to bet most of your assumptions you just sort of pulled out of your ass. Correct?

Offline ROJM_old

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 10:56:27 am »
Quote from: "Mengels7"

You guys can't just spit this out as fact. I'm willing to bet most of your assumptions you just sort of pulled out of your ass. Correct?

Grow up, kid.

Offline Mengels7

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 12:12:22 pm »

Grow up, kid.
No no, my point is, do you have proof for any of that? You're like preaching the truths of who owns what engine and what they are and who can use them.

"Like I said before PG plans to use that engine for another sequel and spin off,they wouldn't want another title that they're not involved with using their engine."

Where's the proof that Sega isn't entitled to use the engine used for Bayonetta for a Shinobi game?  :|

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 12:41:46 pm »
If Bayonetta is just using an advanced DMC engine, why would Sega own the rights to it? They didn't buy Platinum Games out, after all, they're simply renting  talent.

Offline Mengels7

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 01:09:49 pm »
If Bayonetta is just using an advanced DMC engine, why would Sega own the rights to it? They didn't buy Platinum Games out, after all, they're simply renting  talent.

In that same vein of thinking, if PG is just building off of Capcom's work and don't own the DMC engine, why can't Sega do the same thing?

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:14 pm »

That is correct, sir.

Offline George

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2010, 02:20:24 pm »
Pretty much. But I think what Joe is saying is that Platinum Games  used an engine that Capcom did not patient, build on it and made it their own. I might be wrong though. But again, SEGA is a publisher and most likely can work out a relationship with using the engine.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »

In that same vein of thinking, if PG is just building off of Capcom's work and don't own the DMC engine, why can't Sega do the same thing?

I believe Joe was implying PG owns the DMC engine, not Capcom.

Offline George

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 05:28:24 pm »
Bayonetta does not use the PS2 Devil May Cry engine though, and it obviously does not use Framework whatever either; since we all know Capcom is very proud of the engine. I very much doubt they forgot to 'patient' it.

Doubt Platinum Team even owns anything they did at Capcom, they are a NEW team, Clover Studios (the name) and all its assets (Okami, Viewtful Joe) are owned by Capcom; doubt a 'person at capcom' that moved to Platinum had rights to the engine.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:50 pm »
Capcom owns all of Clover's IPs. I mean, it should be obvious as they made Devil May Cry 4 by themselves...