Author Topic: Total War Battles: Kingdom - Available now on Steam  (Read 4339 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Total War Battles: Kingdom - Available now on Steam
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:34:14 am »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/300080

I've downloaded this and will give it a shot this weekend.

Reviews are currently mixed with 56% being negative on Steam.

Here is an unbiased and fair review of the title:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co0PCmp21R8

Thank you, Sega.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Total War Battles: Kingdom - Available now on Steam
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:58:55 am »
Can't wait to hear Mademans opinion. lol just kidding.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:05:05 am by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:07:55 am »
Can't wait to hear Mademans opinion. lol just kidding.

I actually am interested in hearing yours though. It's going to be hard for me to like this game, but I know you were looking forward to it.

Would you play on PC or mobile though?

EDIT: Negative reviews have hit 60%
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:00:03 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:33:27 pm »
This game is dogshit, the tutorial tells you to spend money to skip the waiting times on EVERYTHING. Literally EVERYTHING is like an hour and a half waiting time.

The combat is laughably bad. It's three lines of troops and they just walk slowly into eachother and you click on them to 'charge'.

EDIT:
EIGHT HOURS TO HARVEST WHEAT! I thought it was an exagguration, but nope.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:46:33 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:50:54 pm »
PC probably.

The combat is laughably bad. It's three lines of troops and they just walk slowly into eachother and you click on them to 'charge'.
In virtua fighter you just stand opposite each other and hit buttons until someone dies. right?

The combat is more simple than a normal TW game? You don't say. It's a game designed for one finger, on the go gameplay on tablets. But way to over simplify it big time. If all you're doing clicking to charge no wonder you don't like it.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 09:29:14 pm »
PC probably.
In virtua fighter you just stand opposite each other and hit buttons until someone dies. right?

The combat is more simple than a normal TW game? You don't say. It's a game designed for one finger, on the go gameplay on tablets. But way to over simplify it big time. If all you're doing clicking to charge no wonder you don't like it.

We can reduce every game in existence to 'You press buttons right?'

I'm not really over simplifying it, play it and see.
It's literally three 'lanes'. You put units in those lanes, and they walk very very slowly towards eachother until a prompt comes up to 'Charge'. You click on the unit and they do slightly more damage.
Then you wait for them to die.

Archers can fire at units from the background, again by a very cumbersome system, because it's designed for touch screens.

You can 'taunt' the enemy to draw them over to you if they are in another lane because otherwise the soldiers just stand around doing literally nothing. And issue basic 'commands' which are basically just buffs (guess what, you can buy those too with IRL money...).

That's the full story, it's really very simple. I understand they wanted to make it easy enough that your grandmother can play it on a phone screen and they succeeded, and subsequently took the fun out of it. It's also riddled with 'Premium' units, commands and upgrades, so it's probably built around 'Spend money or lose'.

Like I feared it looks like progressing will depend on your wallet rather than your skill.

It's a bad game. Have you played it yet? I really would be surprised if you can defend it after playing this.

EDIT: The sad thing is, there seems to be potential for something good here. The 4X city building and terrain forming could be fun if it wasn't all stuck behind arbitrary waiting times (8 hours for wheat, OR PAY MONEY). Potential to have a decent 4X game if they ever wanted to try it. If anything this game has made me want to pick up Civ 5 again or try out Age of Wonders III.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:42:48 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »
The issue with this game is that there is no reason to 'wait' and build stuff up. I mean, whats the point of playing the game? There is no online play, its not a interesting IP (simpsons Tap Out) where you want to collect some of your favorite stuff.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:15:00 am »
This game is dogshit, the tutorial tells you to spend money to skip the waiting times on EVERYTHING. Literally EVERYTHING is like an hour and a half waiting time.

EDIT:
EIGHT HOURS TO HARVEST WHEAT! I thought it was an exagguration, but nope.

Oh please Mang, clearly this is really YOUR fault. Why do you have to have a free slot of nothing for eight hours? Go out, breath the fine Canadian air and beat your chest as you chop down a tree in the local forest. By the time you're down and hopefully still alive, you'd have gained your wheat and can move on with the next task.

It's not the game's fault you don't do other things whilst gaming, I mean really, being dedicated to just one activity for a couple of hours? Really unheard of in this day and age.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
Oh please Mang, clearly this is really YOUR fault. Why do you have to have a free slot of nothing for eight hours? Go out, breath the fine Canadian air and beat your chest as you chop down a tree in the local forest. By the time you're down and hopefully still alive, you'd have gained your wheat and can move on with the next task.

It's not the game's fault you don't do other things whilst gaming, I mean really, being dedicated to just one activity for a couple of hours? Really unheard of in this day and age.

Why would I fell trees in the game when I can fell trees in real life then? It's not hard. It's just standing next to a tree and swinging an axe until it falls down.