Author Topic: Protect IP law discussion  (Read 6666 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Protect IP law discussion
« on: October 27, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »
A good video explanation of what is going on, although a bit long:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAtSfNh9B0c&feature=feedu

A clear explanation of what congress is rushing to pass:
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_house/

A bit of an emergency: The rumor all over Capitol Hill is that the House version of the Internet Blacklist Bill will be introduced this week, probably on Wednesday.

Our allies on the Hill say the bill's so bad that it could effectively destroy Youtube, Twitter, and other sites that rely on user-generated content by making the sites' owners legally responsible for everything their users post.

Nobody will want to take that risk, so sites like Youtube and Twitter could be forced to shut down.

Facebook, Myspace, and Google+ would be at risk. The cyberlocker and streaming provisions could affect your iPhone, Android, AmazonCloud, Pandora, Grooveshark and even your email accounts.

It also includes provisions that would make it a felony to stream unlicensed content -- including cover band performances, karaoke videos, video game play-throughs, and more.

And all of this is being driven by a few major corporations who are trying to protect their private profits.

Will you use the form at right to ask your Congressmember not to cosponsor the legislation, at least until they've heard our concerns?

ALSO: We need to completely overwhelm the social networking sites with info about this legislation so we can bombard Congress with constituent contacts:

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL CONGRESS MEMBER USING THIS URL!!!
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_house/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:36:16 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: URGENT: Congress wants to shutdown Youtube and make it a felon to stream
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »
That sounds terrible  :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:55:42 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »
That sounds terrible  :(

Yeah, this isn't good at all. contact your local congress using the link above if you haven't. Also I edited the title of your post to reflect the main topic title, so that's why it says I edited your post. Just wanted to let you know.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:53:33 am »
I REALLY hope this doesn't pass...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:24:15 am »
Yeah, this isn't good at all. contact your local congress using the link above if you haven't. Also I edited the title of your post to reflect the main topic title, so that's why it says I edited your post. Just wanted to let you know.

Being in Canada, I don't think there's much I can do other than sit back and hope the US government doesn't do anything dumb.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:32:44 pm »
Being in Canada, I don't think there's much I can do other than sit back and hope the US government doesn't do anything dumb.

Ah ok, didn't realize you were in Canada, yeah that's all you can do then.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »
Ah ok, didn't realize you were in Canada, yeah that's all you can do then.
I'll make sure to get ahold of my American friends though.

Offline Grounder

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:59 am »
Great, so that means if this passes, I'll go to jail for all the AMVs I've made and other videos I've uploaded to other YouTube pages and pictures I've uploaded to various sites.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »
this is why I hate politics. They are so obsessed with shit
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 05:33:02 pm »
I'm sorry but this is never going to happen... Twitter and Youtube shut down? Lol... no.
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:49:23 am »
I'm sorry but this is never going to happen... Twitter and Youtube shut down? Lol... no.

I know. Making streaming a felony would be a really dumb idea.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:49:18 pm »
got this in an email from demand progress:

"More than 100,000 Demand Progress members emailed Congress in opposition to the Internet Blacklist Bill last week -- and we're proud to say that, in response, the Chamber of Commerce just launched an attack against Demand Progress.

They're terrified of the popular uprising against their censorship legislation.  So in a remarkably glib post, the Chamber writes:

First up is Demand Progress. Before they even saw the House bill, they started calling it the “New Internet Blacklist Bill.” Blacklist?  That sounds pretty bad. But before we get carried away, let’s take a look at the actual language of the actual legislation. Can YOU find a blacklist? No? Can you find a list of ANY kind? No?

We've got to give them credit: In their wisdom the authors of the Internet Blacklist Bill refrained from inserting the terms 'Blacklist,' 'censorship,' or 'Great Firewall Of China' into the text of their legislation.

But that's why Demand Progress exists: To illuminate the corporatists' propensity for censorship, doublespeak, and plain old BS. 

As EFF notes:

As drafted, the legislation would grant the government and private parties unprecedented power to interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS). The government would be able to force ISPs and search engines to redirect or dump users' attempts to reach certain websites' URLs.

Or, in other words, these sites would be BLACKLISTED.  And the bill goes even further -- undermining other sites' abilities to continue to operate by choking off their access to financial resources."

Offline Happy Cat

Re: Protect IP law discussion
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »
good news

We Are Winning: Pelosi Comes Out Against Internet Censorship Bill

Nobody thought it could be done, but it looks like we've turned the tide against the Internet Blacklist Bill.  Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi just spoke out against it, and Republican Darrell Issa says it now stands "no chance of passage"!

It's been a show of force like no other: More than 700k anti-censorship contacts have been delivered to Congress so far this week, as the Blacklsit Bill gets heard in committee.

What an amazing couple of days -- let's top it off with one more push.  Please send one more message to Congress -- even if you already have -- touting our numbers and telling them they need to back down.  Let's make it clear that the Internet has risen up, and won't back down until Congress heeds our calls.

Please just use the form at right to send one more message to Congress, and use these links to ask your friends to share the news:

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/pelosi/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:38:31 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 07:54:47 pm »
It's great to see effective ways of influencing government! :D

Too bad Occupy Wall Street is still doing things the shitty way, by making my commute a bitch and raping women outside Philly's city hall (it happened). :P

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »
Yeah, whoever made that bill wasn't clever in choosing the right terms.
Net Neutrality is also a prime example of similar shenanigans. Has a nice name, but all it does is f*** up the playing field for some Internet companies.

What's even murkier is what exactly is the criteria for being blacklisted...