Author Topic: What Toshihiro Nagoshi would've done before games  (Read 25219 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: What Toshihiro Nagoshi would've done before games
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »
[youtube:8lsn9whf]aIrhVo1WA78[/youtube:8lsn9whf]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 01:53:29 am »
 LOLOLOLOL!

Ohba was not that good. I dont like the 3D graphics made by him and his team.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 04:34:10 am »
Quote from: "STORM!"
 LOLOLOLOL!

Ohba was not that good. I dont like the 3D graphics made by him and his team.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:43 am »
Cube. You are freaking out for no reason.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:47:39 am »
Quote from: "George"

This could be his tipping point. Every sega fan has one, I had mine a long time ago. It's pretty earth shattering when you realize the best game development house is gone, and likely to never return. Even worse is watching the rest of the industry stagnate with constant sequels, micro transactions, and a major lack of risk taking by the bigger boys. Nobody throws the money at the development teams that SEGA did while continuing to allow the same amount of creative freedom. Finally there's all the studio closures, flight-plan, bizarre, Cing... It isn't exactly the best time to be a gamer.

Offline George

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 04:50:12 am »
I like sequels. I don't think we have more than we have ever had. I think we see a big picture, like a full generation, then try to say "Well this year we had too many sequels".

Again, no one cares when its stuff they want. Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:57:55 am »
I like sequels. I don't think we have more than we have ever had. I think we see a big picture, like a full generation, then try to say "Well this year we had too many sequels".

Again, no one cares when its stuff they want. Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force.

I wouldn't care because those aren't first person shooters. With that being said we were getting major new triple A titles at this same point in PS2's lifespan, which cannot be said for any console this generation; Rogue Galaxy (5 years into PS2), Okami (6), Gun (5), Yakuza (5), Shadow of the Colossus (5), Guitar Hero (5), God of War (5), Bumpy Trot (6), there is more but you get the idea. It's a pretty stark contrast in my opinion, especially since SotC and Okami are arguably the best games on the system.

Offline George

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 05:52:17 am »
I think your issue is more with the fact that you dislike this generation of games, not the fact that there are sequels.

I'm quite enjoying this generation. Not too heavy myself into the first person shooting stuff. But I had fun with new IPs like Infamous, Lost Odyssey, Uncharted, Enslaved, Blazblue (which I got today actually), Bioshock (FPS? only in perspective)Condemned, Littlebigplanet, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Madworld etc.

Not only that, indie games are bigger than they where back on PS2 due to services like PSN/XBLA. We wouldn't get games like Super Meat Boy, Braid, Pixel Junk shooter series, Dead Nation, Joe Danger on PS2.

Not to mention there is alwasy Last Guardian to be excited about. Plus, being a fan that I was growing up of older PC RPGs, I'm more than happy with Skyrim and Deus Ex getting new installments.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 06:07:39 am »

Sorry man, I am like completely freaking out for no apparent reason.

My favourite designer and head of my favourite studio has been sacked and I am left to play games by fucking Platinum Games!

I should be excited it isn't like the resources that should've gone to Overworks have gone to them.

Bayonetta is compeletely original and so very fucking innovative. It is like Overworks never made Nightshade.

@ Taroyamada: Your right, this is my tipping point.
I am pretty much done with this Fucking company, i'll still check out the few new Japanese games that come out but for all I care their consumer division can die and go to hell as it is composed of Platinum Games, Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive.

Maybe I am in a hyperactive mental state, but I am glad I am a retrowriter here cause pretty much all that worked for me is in the past.

For those who are unaware of the greatness that was Noriyoshi Ohba I am in the process of updating his wikipage, information is sparse but I pride myself on compiling his most comprehensive gameography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noriyoshi_ ... ajor_works

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 06:29:05 am »
 Look at the list,his only original creations are Clockwork Knight and Eternal Arcadia. 2 big flops of Sega XD

Bare Knuckle was basically made by others (based on Final Fight) and Sakura Taisen was almost done by Hiroi Ouji and the now dead Phantasy Star Team.

Never heard about Blazing Heroes.

He was at NEC before joining GungHo. He failed 3 times as President, sadly.

Yeah, everybody here knows I love Hibana and Kunoichi, I always ask Sega to bring her back. But Hibana was not created by Ohba. The guys responsible for Hibana left Sega too ;p

Sorry but Platinum Games are doing better than Overworks ;p But even with the sales and popularity of Bayonetta, you can't see Sega using her anywhere...

Capcom promotes their characters better than everyone else in the games world (only loses to Nintendo).

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 06:30:49 am »
I know who he is. Bayonetta is original as in, there is no game like it. Yes. You are correct. But why the fuck are you so angry that SEGA published it? Nightshade wasn't that good. I know you love that title, but your acting like Bayonetta (a game you have not even played) is super shit and that SEGA did not make Nightshade 2 due to Bayonetta.

They didn't make Nightshade 2 because it was reviewed and sold poorly.

I don't understand the logic of people that think Bayonetta somehow canceled SEGA's ability to not make other titles. Also, half your rant is about how you hate SEGA because they don't make games with designers/producers/directors that don't want to make games with SEGA.

I agree with Team Andromeda. SEGA needs to establish big Japanese names to make new exciting franchises that could be big. Their talent won't last forever and after those people are done, who will make the great games?

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 06:40:55 am »
I'm quite enjoying this generation. Not too heavy myself into the first person shooting stuff. But I had fun with new IPs like Infamous, Lost Odyssey, Uncharted, Enslaved, Blazblue (which I got today actually), Bioshock (FPS? only in perspective)Condemned, Littlebigplanet, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Madworld etc.

Not only that, indie games are bigger than they where back on PS2 due to services like PSN/XBLA. We wouldn't get games like Super Meat Boy, Braid, Pixel Junk shooter series, Dead Nation, Joe Danger on PS2.

Not to mention there is alwasy Last Guardian to be excited about. Plus, being a fan that I was growing up of older PC RPGs, I'm more than happy with Skyrim and Deus Ex getting new installments.

There are some games I enjoyed this gen, shockingly not InFamous, I say shockingly because Sly 2 is probably my favorite 3D platformer of all time. Big Sly Cooper fan and I really wouldn't mind a fourth. I love Uncharted 2, and the first isn't half bad either, Hirokazu Yasuhara worked on the series : D. I also enjoyed most of the other games you mentioned except BioShock, I scare super fucking easily and that game had me shitting my pants within the first ten minutes (as soon as that zombie thing walked by the elevator I turned that shit off).

In regards to indie games, they have definitely become a larger market due to PSN/XBLA and iOS, but I disagree that some of those wouldn't exist without said services. They did exist, Super Meat Boy in fact did. Steam and PC was the indie scene, and it was a healthy one, and arguably is still the healthiest (Super Meat Boy sold best on Steam, exclusives like Super Crate Box, etc. etc.).

Overall I just think this generation is worse than the last, good games don't come out at the rate they did last gen, we aren't getting the super innovative games we were. Excluding maybe the DS, I enjoyed the DS this gen, lots of cool stuff happened there, and 2D gaming is fantastic.

Quote from: "cube_b3"
@ Taroyamada: Your right, this is my tipping point.
I am pretty much done with this Fucking company, i'll still check out the few new Japanese games that come out but for all I care their consumer division can die and go to hell as it is composed of Platinum Games, Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive.

Maybe I am in a hyperactive mental state, but I am glad I am a retrowriter here cause pretty much all that worked for me is in the past.

Yeah dude, it's all good, I gotta be honest. I was a huge Nintendo fanboy back in the day, then a Sony fanboy, hated SEGA the entire time. I was like four, or five (1991 folks, same year as the blue hog) and my bro pretty much only bought Capcom and SNK stuff, I associated those titles with SEGA and thought they were too hard, was too young to get the 1st/3rd party difference. Basically anything on the system was either made by Sony, SEGA, or Nintendo to me, and it didn't help that my brother would perfect my ass at fighting games EVERY DAMN TIME. Preferred the easier Mario games, and the terrible button masher that was Killer Instinct ( :cry: ).

Moral of the story is I missed out on a lot of SEGA games, and even you, as a SEGA fan through that period, likely missed out. I am working on Shining Force: Legacy of Great Intention right now and loving it. Find something you missed out on, there has to be something.

With that being said, don't be so hard on Platinum, I liked Bayo, and Vanquish. As for Creative Assembly, I hate the RTS genre with a passion, but Creative Assembly was a good purchase business-wise and I can tell that new Shogun game is of good quality even if I do hate the genre.

his only original creations are Clockwork Knight and Eternal Arcadia.

I like.... Both of those. And Streets of Rage, it was better than Final Fight.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 08:07:43 am »
I don't understand the logic of people that think Bayonetta somehow canceled SEGA's ability to not make other titles. Also, half your rant is about how you hate SEGA because they don't make games with designers/producers/directors that don't want to make games with SEGA.

Aaah Aaah, Right.
Good.

Now I see so basically designers like Naka, Suzuki and so on left SEGA because they didn't want to make games at SEGA.

It wasn't like the new management was shooting their ideas down.

It isn't like developers like Mizuguchi have stated openly that SEGA changed so drastically that they had to leave the company.

Offline George

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 04:01:07 pm »
@TaroYamada Yes, games like Super Meat Boy would have probably still happen. But not all and some wouldn't have done as well without services like XBLA and PSN. I think PSN/XBLA took the indie scene to the more mainstream gamer.

@Cube: They where shooting their ideas down? Give me prove that all their ideas where being shot down. Most of the companies decided to make their own studios, which in the end would have earned them more money. You don't have prove of anything you say, just blind rage. Naka explained why he left, he didn't want to work with a big team that Sonic Team has become. Mizuguchi left because he didn't want the Sammy and Sonic Team merge to happen.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »
I... wish..........I was.... never a fucking sega fan
A lot of us wish you weren't.

You should find another company to be a fan of so you can freak out when you realize staff come and go from all companies. 50 years ago Sega had none of the staff it has today and in 50 years if it still exists it'll be the same. All new staff.

It's the same with Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, EA, SquareEnix, Konami, TakeTwo... you name it.

When Yu Suzuki or Naka or Nagoshi, Kodama etc etc came to Sega nobody knew them or cared about them... They were low end nobodies. They rise up and become great just as I imagine there are a bunch of new up and coming staff in Sega we haven't heard much out of yet that'll be the Suzuki's of tomorrow.

As it turns out the people that leave Sega rarely amount to much and often fade away into obscurity, which makes me wonder if they had much left to offer had they not left.
Made by SEGA