Author Topic: Why aren't Billy Hatcher/Typing of the Dead on Steam?  (Read 6249 times)

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
Why aren't Billy Hatcher/Typing of the Dead on Steam?
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:57:28 am »
I was just wondering this as it seems it would be an easy way for SEGA to make money off their back catalog. Typing of the Dead and Billy Hatcher are both titles that have received PC ports, and Billy Hatcher is available in DD format (TOTD doesn't appear to be) through a number of UK stores (Gamesplanet and Game have it), so why not the US? Why not gog.com or Steam?

It's just kind of annoying because I'd like to purchase both titles, but they aren't available in a digitally distributed format to Americans. It also just doesn't make business sense, it would cost SEGA zilch to get either on Steam or gog.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Why aren't Billy Hatcher/Typing of the Dead on Steam?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:52 am »
I suspect they just havent gotten around to it yet, they have a huge selection of games and it would be silly to release them all at once.
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:49:38 am »
Maybe it's exclusive to Gamersgate.com.

I know, because I saw Billy Hatcher(PC version) there. Not sure about Typing of the Dead, though. But that game can be found dirt cheap on some supermarket chain.

The major chain next to where I live still has Sonic R, Sonic 3D, Total War, Outrun 2 C2C and such for dirt cheap.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:55:09 pm »
A bit off topic but I have to say: this is the first time I saw someone complaining about a game not available to purchase online digitally.

I can see the future of the physical media now...  :|

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »
Billy Hatcher sucks and never sold good anyways, I doubt SEGA cares.

But for stuff like The Typing of the Dead, it really bugs me how SEGA just sits on some of these great PC games and refuses to even try to release them. Worst case scenario, if a Genesis version exists, they release that instead. Look at Virtua Fighter 2 (it literally had online play too), Ecco the Dolphin (which had a fantastic PC conversion barely anyone got to play) or Sonic 3D Blast (has content the other releases do not have) for a good set of examples. It really bugs me especially when games that are not even all that good like Final Fight or X-Men get such incredible releases on XBLA/PSN, too.

This is SEGA's weakest area at the moment. Compared to all of the other big publishers around, they are probably the worst overall. I do not see them improving this field for awhile, either.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
Quote from: "max_cady"
Maybe it's exclusive to Gamersgate.com.

I know, because I saw Billy Hatcher(PC version) there. Not sure about Typing of the Dead, though. But that game can be found dirt cheap on some supermarket chain.

The major chain next to where I live still has Sonic R, Sonic 3D, Total War, Outrun 2 C2C and such for dirt cheap.

Oh wow, ok, it is available in a US DD store, thanks for the heads up. I'd still prefer it on Steam or GOG but I can stand gamersgate.

Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

That.... burns..... I enjoyed what I played of it, which was admittedly only a couple hours worth on the ole GC. Also, Tokyo Sandblaster? Conan O'Brien?

Quote from: "STORM!"
A bit off topic but I have to say: this is the first time I saw someone complaining about a game not available to purchase online digitally.

I can see the future of the physical media now...  :|

Not entirely sure what you are inferring, but if it's anti-DD I totally get that. I am actually fervently opposed to DD on consoles, I feel it is being used as a means to attack consumers rights, control our content, and increase their profits. The same cannot really be said for PC DD in terms of price, as the savings are very often passed onto the consumer (one look at a Steam Christmas sale will assure you of such), PC games as long as I can remember have also always been data on a HDD, and while Steam can lock you off from your entire games library it isn't so hard to retrieve the games you rightfully own, if you know what I mean.

Basically while they can still attempt to control the content on PC, it's too hard for them to adequately do so on a open platform. Not the same playing field on closed consoles.

I really just started getting into PC gaming, largely because home consoles are becoming everything I used to hate about gaming on PCs (game installs, updates, too expensive, focus on western genres I don't like such as FPS) but they do it all slightly worse.... And they don't have Streets of Rage Remake : P

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"

That.... burns..... I enjoyed what I played of it, which was admittedly only a couple hours worth on the ole GC. Also, Tokyo Sandblaster? Conan O'Brien?

Like all Sonic Team games, they put the most thought into the earlier levels, so initially the game seems decent, but I can assure you it is absolutely not. It would have gotten more hate if it was an established SEGA IP.

However, I do not think it is a big deal to just find a torrent of it nowadays. It has been years and even though Sonic Team have interest in reviving it, that will never happen, especially with how Journey of Dreams was received.

And yes, Conan O'Brien.  8-)

I really just started getting into PC gaming, largely because home consoles are becoming everything I used to hate about gaming on PCs (game installs, updates, too expensive, focus on western genres I don't like such as FPS) but they do it all slightly worse.... And they don't have Streets of Rage Remake : P

Amen.

Though I love my Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3s (not so much my Wii...), I just absolutely cannot get into PC gaming yet because it is just crazy expensive to buy a decent gaming computer and how confusing I can find it sometimes, whereas consoles are usually cheaply priced because their designers are scared the competition will destroy them and are still are pretty solid with booting up your games. I have also never been able to get such great deals on console games before this gen. I have bought dozens of $20 games that have lasted me 80+ hours each. Very cool.

I am pretty sure I will be mostly just into PC for games in 5-7 years from now. SEGA is the biggest reason why I have not already moved.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:47:43 pm »
Like all Sonic Team games, they put the most thought into the earlier levels, so initially the game seems decent, but I can assure you it is absolutely not. It would have gotten more hate if it was an established SEGA IP.

However, I do not think it is a big deal to just find a torrent of it nowadays. It has been years and even though Sonic Team have interest in reviving it, that will never happen, especially with how Journey of Dreams was received.

And yes, Conan O'Brien.  8-)

I really just started getting into PC gaming.......

Amen.

Though I love my Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3s (not so much my Wii...), I just absolutely cannot get into PC gaming yet because it is just crazy expensive to buy a decent gaming computer and how confusing I can find it sometimes, whereas consoles are usually cheaply priced because their designers are scared the competition will destroy them and are still are pretty solid with booting up your games. I have also never been able to get such great deals on console games before this gen. I have bought dozens of $20 games that have lasted me 80+ hours each. Very cool.

I am pretty sure I will be mostly just into PC for games in 5-7 years from now. SEGA is the biggest reason why I have not already moved.

I hope you mean modern Sonic Team games son, because they made some masterpieces in their day! Nights, Burning Rangers, Sonic 1-3&K, Chu Chu Rocket! Don't be dissing those.

Also, major Coco head myself : P, saw em here in Eugene on the opening of his tour, did you catch it? Man nearly nailed me in the head with his guitar. Probably the happiest I have ever been about a near-injury.

As for PCs, I have to have one anyways that's relatively nice since I am majoring in Computer Science, but I definitely don't need a GPU like I bought. I'd say the build total was around $500, not counting stuff I had like a monitor and a KB&M, so basically just for the tower. Not that terrible, especially since everybody needs a computer anyways but still pricey. In regards to software I mainly just play indie games (Nimbus is great if anybody is looking for a nice indie title right now) and multi-platform ports, I don't really care for the PC exclusives (other than PSO 2 : D) and I pretty much hate the PC gaming community because they are a bunch of stuck up graphic whores, or at least that's the community I post in sometimes over at RockPaperShotgun. Though the PC gamers on NeoGaf have some of the same attitude.

I said I preferred 3rd person shooters over 1st person and it was like I had stolen the Pope's robes or something. That and a game that looks like an utter bore like Rage (sorry if I offend anyone, but a brown and grey apocalyptic shooter with below average art direction? Really?) is extremely hyped because the only thing they seem to judge games on are their graphics.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:00:35 am »
They major downside of the digital download scene is that it still won't make the games any cheaper.

As a matter of fact, I've seen the opposite happening, devs actually taking the time to compile XBLA games and release them in a boxed version and making them cheaper per game(example: the DC Collection, Serious Sam HD: 1 & 2, Trials, Limbo pack,etc)

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 06:51:06 am »
Quote from: "max_cady"
They major downside of the digital download scene is that it still won't make the games any cheaper.

As a matter of fact, I've seen the opposite happening, devs actually taking the time to compile XBLA games and release them in a boxed version and making them cheaper per game(example: the DC Collection, Serious Sam HD: 1 & 2, Trials, Limbo pack,etc)

I agree that's the case on home consoles, and it is why I am opposed to digital distribution on those systems, or at least one of the reasons I oppose DD on home consoles (I have boycotted any digitally distributed home console content, not kidding). However gaming on PC is definitely cheaper through DD.

I picked up Serious Sam HD: TSE for $4, not sure how much you saw it for, Bully Scholarship edition for $3.70 on Steam last week, Darksiders for $10, Psychonauts for $2.50, each a couple months ago, stuff like that. I see you live in Portugal though, which likely means you are getting screwed by Steam's regional pricing.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
I really like Steam. The games update automatically and there are some crazy sales on there. I got Super Meat Boy for $2.99 on Boxing Day last year.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:45:13 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
I really like Steam. The games update automatically and there are some crazy sales on there. I got Super Meat Boy for $2.99 on Boxing Day last year.

Got Super Meat Boy on sale too, didn't dig it that much. Was that just me? Everybody seems to love it : /

Next time Nimbus goes on sale you should grab it, I grabbed it at $5 a few weeks ago.
http://http://noumenongames.com/

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:21 am »
I wasn't sure that I'd enjoy Super Meat Boy, but no matter how tough it got, it only took less than 30 seconds to successfully beat a stage.  The cut-scenes were pretty entertaining too.

I could see how it wouldn't be for everybody though. It can be pretty frustrating at times.