Author Topic: Why didn't Platinum work on a classic Sega IP...  (Read 10749 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Why didn't Platinum work on a classic Sega IP...
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:40:59 am »
A while back there was a silly rumour that a SHINOBI game using the BAYONETTA engine was being made by Platinum. For some reason it caught the imgination of a few people here that should have known better but understanble to why they wanted it to happen. Now the news about MGS has happened/confirmed it leaves a few questions to this sega old timer's mind. Why didn't Sega give PG a classic ip to revive instead of wasting it on the western divison? Why didn't |PG want to do on or did they want to do one? I feel a bit betrayed that platinum is working with Konami after all the fuss they made about not wanting to work on other peoples IP. It kinda makes the people who wanted PG to take a crack at old Sega IP like Shinobi demands a bit stronger now because we now know PG will create new titles of an estabilshed series.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Why didn't Platinum work on a classic Sega IP...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:34:57 am »
I said something similar when this Metal Gear Rising game was announced, I don't feel betrayed but I think it should have been Shinobi and not Metal Gear.

Not least because people would be a ton more accepting of a new overthe top Shinobi game than they are being of this massive departure from the Metal Gear series.

So long as Platinum continues to work with Sega ill be fine, I really hope Kamiya is working on Bayonetta 2 becuase I'd rather play Bayo 2 than this new Metal Gear hack and slash.
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:30 am »
I'm surprised it took them so long to confirm this rumour. There's been talk that Platinum games had taken over development of MGR for the past year or so.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:25 am »
I said something similar when this Metal Gear Rising game was announced, I don't feel betrayed but I think it should have been Shinobi and not Metal Gear.

Not least because people would be a ton more accepting of a new overthe top Shinobi game than they are being of this massive departure from the Metal Gear series.

So long as Platinum continues to work with Sega ill be fine, I really hope Kamiya is working on Bayonetta 2 becuase I'd rather play Bayo 2 than this new Metal Gear hack and slash.
They will. Its just i'd be fine with them working on MGS if they didn't say they weren't intrested in doing estabilshed IP. At least we get new titles from them as well as Sega having new IP.
But this actually asks a lot of questions about Sega's practices when it comes to licensing or outsourcing their IP. DIMPS have worked on many Sonic games and imho kinda kept Sonic as a franchise going when the main 3d titles were losing its way. And it wasn't the first time SHINOBI has been outsourced to another japanese developer. I just can't see why this practice cannot be revived or extended to other japanese developers especially since the IP in question are games that sega hardly touches anyway. Having the prospect of another classic Sega ip being reimagined and ruined at the hands of a contract for hire western studio frustrates me to no end.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:54:09 am »
I couldn't agree more, some of the unused IPs could be reimagined greatly by external developers, and some like Golden Axe, in the right hands would even be done very well by a Western studio.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:35 am »
I think Shinobi is really the title that I think fits with platinum games style of designing games.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »
They didn't do a Shinobi game because they obviously just released one on 3DS. Also, MGS sells a bit more than Shinobi games do. So was it the money? Most likely.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »
Why didn't Sega give PG a classic ip to revive instead of wasting it on the western divison?

Well for one, it certainly wasn't a waste. The new Shinobi game is a lot of fun.

But more to your point, SEGA didn't give PG Shinobi because it wasn't SEGA that pitched the revival. It was Gryptonite who pitched it to SEGA, and SEGA went with it. And from my talks with them at E3 they seemed pretty passionate about it. Beyond the fact that the first level demo held a lot of promise, the excitement over the developers with working with this franchise is what sold me that the game would be good.

6 levels in, aside from the fact that I've been stumped on a level for two weeks, I'm convinced that passion was there. All of the call backs to past games and the random Afterburner cameo certainly helped.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:17:46 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:21:12 am »
You guys are missing the point. Its nothing to do with who pitched for what game and that being the reason it didn't happen, the point is that Sega has a policy where western studios and western studios only has the opportunity to create new content on established Sega IP with a few exceptions(like SHENMUE). Japanese studios outside of Sega didn't and probably won't get that option. The whole Shinobi PG rumor started long before griptonite started any development on their homage to Shinobi.

I just think its time the policy since its still obviously going should be revised.

As for the MGS comment from George, exactly why it would be perfect for some other studio of PG or Valhalla studio's caliber because it would be a great way to relaunch the IP to new audiences as was the original intention or part of it when Sega wanted to get western studios to create new titles from their back catalog.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:30 am »
I couldn't agree more, some of the unused IPs could be reimagined greatly by external developers, and some like Golden Axe, in the right hands would even be done very well by a Western studio.

I guess Secret level didn't put you off the last time, huh Sharky? I dunno if it was Creative Assembly maybe but unless they or whoever they hire for this new AAA Sega classic ip, take an unorphadox approch to it like Headstrong did with HOTD or at least make it in a style/genre that the west game studios do better than japan then there's no point to it really.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:33:17 am by ROJM »

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:12:09 pm »
My feeling is that Sega just hasn't been all that aggressive in keeping their partnership with Platinum Games and as a result, eh.

Sega should have (IMO) purchased Platinum a long time ago, it was a great partnership. I'm sure it didn't pay off in a huge way financially yet but Platinum developed some of Sega's most popular new IP this gen.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 02:08:05 am »

IP like Golden Axe is old hate and should be left for dead, just wouldn't work with today's market . SEGA could do a really great update with Burning Rangers and make in to a really great On-Line Co-op game. Looking at the old SEGA IP there's very little that really would sell in today's market sadly

IMO forget Platinum , FromSoftware and SEGA working together could make a real kick ass Shinobi game more so if the O.TO.GI/Ninja Blade Team helped SEGA, but for the most part I'm not a fan of out-sourcing IP; Its like a kick inthe teeth and lack of confidence in your own In-House studios imo

MGS sells a bit more than Shinobi games do. So was it the money? Most likely.

Got it one. Money to pay the bills and to be able to work on a massive multi million selling IP brand is hard for any developer to turn down
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 04:49:37 am »

I disagree that Golden Axe is old hat, and this is coming from someone that didn’t REALLY even care of Golden Axe even in its prime.

The Lord of the Rings / Conan style it has is still relevant and with the new Hobbit movies that kind of high fantasy setting is probably going to come back in a big way.

The old side scrolling style Golden Axe is of course out of date, old hat and never to return, but the setting is pretty cool with the creatures you can ride and the towns on the back of turtles and crazy shit like that I think if it was in the right hands some kind of multiplayer Eldar Scrolls (Skyrim) type game with the Golden Axe lore, creatures, characters would certainly turn some heads.

Personally I think Creative Assembly could do it justice, imo Viking was a good game and it had the potential to be an awesome game had it been more refined. Something alone those lines with Ax and Blaze instead of the Viking could be pretty awesome!
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 01:00:03 pm »
My feeling is that Sega just hasn't been all that aggressive in keeping their partnership with Platinum Games and as a result, eh.

Sega should have (IMO) purchased Platinum a long time ago, it was a great partnership. I'm sure it didn't pay off in a huge way financially yet but Platinum developed some of Sega's most popular new IP this gen.

TBH i don't think Sega marketed two of PG's biggest games properly, on the the other hand we still don't know if they have any new games lined up for Sega after AR. MGS obviously happened in the last minute judging from the article of the kojima topic.

I disagree that Golden Axe is old hat, and this is coming from someone that didn’t REALLY even care of Golden Axe even in its prime.

The Lord of the Rings / Conan style it has is still relevant and with the new Hobbit movies that kind of high fantasy setting is probably going to come back in a big way.

The old side scrolling style Golden Axe is of course out of date, old hat and never to return, but the setting is pretty cool with the creatures you can ride and the towns on the back of turtles and crazy shit like that I think if it was in the right hands some kind of multiplayer Eldar Scrolls (Skyrim) type game with the Golden Axe lore, creatures, characters would certainly turn some heads.

Personally I think Creative Assembly could do it justice, imo Viking was a good game and it had the potential to be an awesome game had it been more refined. Something alone those lines with Ax and Blaze instead of the Viking could be pretty awesome!

Don't pay him much attention Shark he doesn't know what he's talking about as usual.  ::)
The idea of GA is not out of date and the potential is still there for another great game, the question has always been who can take it to make it a great game again. Playing SHINING FORCE CROSS RAID the other day i can't help but feel that GA could go a similar MMO arcade style route but for consoles.
Looking at the

IMO forget Platinum , FromSoftware and SEGA working together could make a real kick ass Shinobi game more so if the O.TO.GI/Ninja Blade Team helped SEGA, but for the most part I'm not a fan of out-sourcing IP; Its like a kick inthe teeth and lack of confidence in your own In-House studios imo
You mean that NG clone? Are you kidding? I'd prefer a new original game from them actually that sega would support . And really the reality is old ips that really aren't going to get made by anyone within Sega anymore. if it was a game like ARCADIA,SHENMUE etc where there are still people in sega wishing to continue those titles, sure but its hardly a kick in the teeth if they give out defunct ip. So stop exaggerating that its a bad thing. According to you it was a bad thing for Sega morale when PG made the exclusive contract deal with sega in the first place. ::)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:13:51 am »

The Hack and Slash side scrolling genre is dead . Todays market is just not interested in those style of games . The setting is great and it be interesting to see how Capcom's DD does.

I love to see a update   

You mean that NG clone? Are you kidding?

Ninja Blade is quite brilliant and totally and utterly over the top with insane action and QTE events. It's like playing a totally wild and nuts Hong Kong 80's flick

According to you it was a bad thing for Sega morale when PG made the exclusive contract deal with sega in the first place
It is in the sense that it takes revenue away from the In-House Teams and has Platinum have showed they'll work with anyone they want too and so far out of the deal only Bay have sold in any decent numbers . If like with Capcom where the DMV team are working on new IP I can understand the outsourcing to a 3rd part developer, or say in a genre SOJ just doesn't do well like a FPS, but I don't see Overworks Team working on much new IP.

Shinobi on the PS2 was really good and its a shame SEGA never really tried to build on it and make a great High End Ninja game to take on NG and DMC but for get that there's some IP than could works wonders and be pretty easy to update and wouldn't cost a bomb . It's quite strange why SEGA hasn't jumped on the Move and Kinect fad and made Samba De Amigo II , Space Channel 5 III for those platforms 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure