Author Topic: Why didn't Platinum work on a classic Sega IP...  (Read 10751 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Why didn't Platinum work on a classic Sega IP...
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 02:39:33 pm »

The Hack and Slash side scrolling genre is dead . Todays market is just not interested in those style of games . The setting is great and it be interesting to see how Capcom's DD does.

I love to see a update   

Lots of genres go stagnant, it takes a brilliant game to revive them again. Or don't you being the experienced gamer know that? ::)

Ninja Blade is quite brilliant and totally and utterly over the top with insane action and QTE events. It's like playing a totally wild and nuts Hong Kong 80's flick

That's exactly why FS shouldn't touch it because of the comparisons, its better if PG or someone else did it.

It is in the sense that it takes revenue away from the In-House Teams and has Platinum have showed they'll work with anyone they want too and so far out of the deal only Bay have sold in any decent numbers . If like with Capcom where the DMV team are working on new IP I can understand the outsourcing to a 3rd part developer, or say in a genre SOJ just doesn't do well like a FPS, but I don't see Overworks Team working on much new IP.

But they are working in a business and that's what the business HAS always done. And the truth of the matter is if they were working on SHINOBI, 3ds version wouldn't have happened so that can apply to western teams doing the same thing your accusing PG of doing. It wouldn't necessarily effect them. its not the first time they outsourced the game to other parties and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX and the psp BF showed which is where SHINOBI should return imo, the arcades.

Shinobi on the PS2 was really good and its a shame SEGA never really tried to build on it and make a great High End Ninja game to take on NG and DMC but for get that there's some IP than could works wonders and be pretty easy to update and wouldn't cost a bomb . It's quite strange why SEGA hasn't jumped on the Move and Kinect fad and made Samba De Amigo II , Space Channel 5 III for those platforms
Let's move from the make more DC game wish huh, i think its time to create new ips for new platforms or revive ips that hasn't been given a golden chance like the many DC titles out there..

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:53 am »
Lots of genres go stagnant, it takes a brilliant game to revive them again. Or don't you being the experienced gamer know tha

The genre is more or less dead for the mainstream ,  Not enough people would buy those sorts games these days for a full price Retail game, though a XBLA/PSN update could be a different story. Golden Axe was not only made when the genre was very popular but also  at a time when we had loads of B movie and some decent hack and slash films too, they were very different times to what we have now. I'm not sure if the genre is even that popular inthe Arcade's any more

Like Point and Click is seems its a genre that died with the 90's sadly

It wouldn't necessarily effect them. its not the first time they outsourced the game to other parties and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX and the psp BF showed which is where SHINOBI should return imo, the arcades.

Afterburner was not outsourced and it showed the Arcade game and XBLA/PSN was SEGA at its best . I don't mind HH games being outsourced  SEGA always done that, even in the game gear days, I'm on about if we were ever to get a Shinobi made for the 360/PS3 . I would like SEGA to do it In-House  Shinobi PS2 was a very good game, that really should have been built on , instead of the quick spin off it got.  The worst part of PS2 Shinobi for me, was that it looked and sounded so average much like the outsocured Saturn Shinobi , where the Shinobi games on the MD and in the Arcade were always known for their kick ass gfx and sound, that the area SEGA should have fixed

Shinobi is an IP that is asking for a kick ass next gen update.

Let's move from the make more DC game wish

It may have escaped your notice that Music games are in vogue and selling in quite decent numbers and SEGA used to make the best music games, bar none . Yet now when it has the tools and the Hardware to make Samba De Amigo accessible to all , its does nothing with it (lets not bring up the joke that was the Wii game).

All a Kinect Samba II would need is a cheap set of Plastic maracas to track and that's it some new songs Ect a fe more party games and that it's it, it would even cost a lot to make . We could have a brilliant version of Samba that was affordable to all and I'm sure Yuda-san could make a really good SC III for the PS3 move
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 06:42:07 am »
TBH i don't think Sega marketed two of PG's biggest games properly, on the the other hand we still don't know if they have any new games lined up for Sega after AR. MGS obviously happened in the last minute judging from the article of the kojima topic.
From your words; they are working on an Action horror game and a Bayonetta spin-off.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:33 am »

The genre is more or less dead for the mainstream ,  Not enough people would buy those sorts games these days for a full price Retail game, though a XBLA/PSN update could be a different story. Golden Axe was not only made when the genre was very popular but also  at a time when we had loads of B movie and some decent hack and slash films too, they were very different times to what we have now. I'm not sure if the genre is even that popular inthe Arcade's any more

Like Point and Click is seems its a genre that died with the 90's sadly

You can say that about many games genres nowadays, if a game was brilliantly made in whatever genre most people woud buy that game. its happened before and it will happen again.

Afterburner was not outsourced and it showed the Arcade game and XBLA/PSN was SEGA at its best . I don't mind HH games being outsourced  SEGA always done that, even in the game gear days, I'm on about if we were ever to get a Shinobi made for the 360/PS3 . I would like SEGA to do it In-House  Shinobi PS2 was a very good game, that really should have been built on , instead of the quick spin off it got.  The worst part of PS2 Shinobi for me, was that it looked and sounded so average much like the outsocured Saturn Shinobi , where the Shinobi games on the MD and in the Arcade were always known for their kick ass gfx and sound, that the area SEGA should have fixed

AF BF was an outsourced game released around the same time AFC came out of arcades. ::)

Shinobi is an IP that is asking for a kick ass next gen update.

It may have escaped your notice that Music games are in vogue and selling in quite decent numbers and SEGA used to make the best music games, bar none . Yet now when it has the tools and the Hardware to make Samba De Amigo accessible to all , its does nothing with it (lets not bring up the joke that was the Wii game).

All a Kinect Samba II would need is a cheap set of Plastic maracas to track and that's it some new songs Ect a fe more party games and that it's it, it would even cost a lot to make . We could have a brilliant version of Samba that was affordable to all and I'm sure Yuda-san could make a really good SC III for the PS3 move

Those IPS are dead, they've been given more than enough chances already. give uo the DC ghost and move on.
From your words; they are working on an Action horror game and a Bayonetta spin-off.
Bayonetta isn't new, and the other game i've no idea what's happened to it now,many titles can start up for one company only to end up with another.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:33 am »
You can say that about many games genres nowadays, if a game was brilliantly made in whatever genre most people woud buy that game.

I don't think so , these days are certain genre tend to sell sadly and even if you make a quite brilliant AAA title it's be no means certain it will sell even in a genre that can boast good sales  . Its pretty sad when you see great games like Enslaved, Alan Wake just not sell like they should have.  I think like Point and Click, your Command & Conquer, style games, Flight sims. Simple  Hack and Slash title like Golden Axe have had their moment and their day for a full price retail game, but XBLA and PSN is another matter.

AF BF was an outsourced game released

Yes that was outsourced. Afterburner Climax was not and the gulf in quality was clear to see, not just in the GFX and sound, but game-play too. 

Those IPS are dead, they've been given more than enough chances already.

You're the one that often talks on about the DC legacy and starts threads on about the system. Also I wouldn't say too much but the Golden Axe IP is dead, Golden Axe III was a flop on the Mega Drive, Golden Axe on the Saturn not a massive seller and the last game in the series was a complete and total disaster on almost every front. if they was ever an IP that was dead, then its Golden Axe.

Now if the Golden Axe genre was coming back in vogue I would't say too much, it isn't . Music games are again boasting very decent numbers , hell even Just Dance 3 can top both COD and Fifa in the Christmas charts (and amazing feat) SEGA who used to make the best music games around are just wasting some decent sales imo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 11:57:08 am »

I don't think so , these days are certain genre tend to sell sadly and even if you make a quite brilliant AAA title it's be no means certain it will sell even in a genre that can boast good sales  . Its pretty sad when you see great games like Enslaved, Alan Wake just not sell like they should have.  I think like Point and Click, your Command & Conquer, style games, Flight sims. Simple  Hack and Slash title like Golden Axe have had their moment and their day for a full price retail game, but XBLA and PSN is another matter.
Hack and slash's which is an extension of beat em ups in case you didn't know are still being made or included in a bigger genre of game oh like the frigging countless fantasy MMOs that we have around today. Now part of what you said is true and part of it isn't,a brilliant game a pefect game that transcend all types of gamers and even reach out to the people who hardly ever play games a bit like Streetfighter 2 did(in a genre that was relativly low mark at the time) can usually bolster a genre and of course a game ips chances. now will it happen to GAXE? that's debatable,probably not but i won't say no matter what type of game it is that it can't be done.

Here's a reminder...
What I actually said..
its not the first time they outsourced the game to other parties and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX and the psp BF showed which is where SHINOBI should return imo, the arcades.

Yes that was outsourced. Afterburner Climax was not and the gulf in quality was clear to see, not just in the GFX and sound, but game-play too.

Now either you are stupid, dyslexic or whatever but don't bother twisting things i never said. The final point is yet again you've made yourself look stupid by doing this.

You're the one that often talks on about the DC legacy and starts threads on about the system. Also I wouldn't say too much but the Golden Axe IP is dead, Golden Axe III was a flop on the Mega Drive, Golden Axe on the Saturn not a massive seller and the last game in the series was a complete and total disaster on almost every front. if they was ever an IP that was dead, then its Golden Axe.
One thread i made and that was on the anniversary. But keep spinning that wheel....

Now if the Golden Axe genre was coming back in vogue I would't say too much, it isn't . Music games are again boasting very decent numbers , hell even Just Dance 3 can top both COD and Fifa in the Christmas charts (and amazing feat) SEGA who used to make the best music games around are just wasting some decent sales imo

If i actually believed you really felt that i wouldn't say anything but your just saying that to make yourself look cool to the gulliable sonic fans that usually defend you. The difference with golden axe compared to SC5 and SA was that GA was a more succesful franchise, the other two didn't even get passed a second sequel despite being on a more popular platform(ps2 and wii respectivly) and a few mobile games. Now if you actually read my thread on the DC then you'd know that the sentiments i'm showing here is the exacly made. The DC is DEAD. The IPs although brilliant didn't sell and are dead. Get over it and move on for fux sake..I want to see DF3 but that doesn't mean i'll get to see that made no matter how much points i can pull out of a hat on why it could sell in today's market.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 01:18:53 pm »
Hack and slash's which is an extension of beat em ups in case you didn't know are still being made or included in a bigger genre of game oh like the frigging countless fantasy MMO

Simple Hack and Slash games and beat them ups have all gone in to decline and one can see that reflected in the output from Japanese corps like Capcom, SNK and SEGA who used to make them by the dozen. Todays market just isn't into them any more, sure PSO and other MMO games share elements in game design, but they are no the same. No-one see's Shenmue or Yakuza has VS Fighters for example.

Maybe a 2D update on Vita or XBLA could work though.

Now either you are stupid

You've always got to turn a thread in to a slang match. You said

"and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX"

I just said Climax was not outsourced, that's all.

The difference with golden axe compared to SC5 and SA was that GA was a more succesful franchise, the other two didn't even get passed a second sequel despite being on a more popular platform(ps2 and wii respectivly)

Fair point, but Golden Axe III flopped on the MD, Golden Axe Dual sold poor and Beast Rider was a total disaster the IP is now dead. Music games are back in vogue and to me the biggest barrier to Samba was the cost, that isn't an issue now (don't bring up the Wii version that was a joke like the pad).

Get over it and move on

I'm over the DC, quite a lot here aren't. That's not to say IP from different platforms shouldn't be given another chance.  COD on the X-Box and PS 2 not a seller, on the 360 and PS3 its massive, Monster Hunter on the PS2, not that big, now its massive on the 3DS and PSP.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 11:46:10 am »
Simple Hack and Slash games and beat them ups have all gone in to decline and one can see that reflected in the output from Japanese corps like Capcom, SNK and SEGA who used to make them by the dozen. Todays market just isn't into them any more, sure PSO and other MMO games share elements in game design, but they are no the same. No-one see's Shenmue or Yakuza has VS Fighters for example.   

Maybe a 2D update on Vita or XBLA could work though.

Yet they keep churning them out from time to time. Or did you miss God Of War which is still a succesful franchise. The genre is stagant not dead, there is a huge difference.

You've always got to turn a thread in to a slang match. You said

"and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX"
And here's what i actually said...

its not the first time they outsourced the game to other parties and it wouldn't stop SHINOBI being made by a Sega team even if it was outsourced by another team as AFTERBURNER CLIMAX and the psp BF showed which is where SHINOBI should return imo, the arcades.

In plain and simple english TA.

I just said Climax was not outsourced, that's all.

No you were suggesting i said something i didn't said, i said clearly that sega outsourcing an IP wouldn't stop the main teams in sega making a new title themselves. If you don't like people insulting you don't insult them with your petty twisting and misquotes.

Fair point, but Golden Axe III flopped on the MD, Golden Axe Dual sold poor and Beast Rider was a total disaster the IP is now dead. Music games are back in vogue and to me the biggest barrier to Samba was the cost, that isn't an issue now (don't bring up the Wii version that was a joke like the pad).

Yawn, then let's use your own logic against you. The DC games that you mention haven't sold well outside of the DC/arcade in samba's case. Now we can all agree that many gamers didn't play the DC, so when SC5 was ported to a new platform where most gamers were using, the game should have at least sold enough. now to be fair in SC5 case the lawsuit Sega got over copyright may have effected the games chances despite them winning the case but now the game is available on xbox live and whatever and it still hasn't done anything, the same goes for SDA sans the lawsuit. You're making an argument about GA which has proven itself in sales despite your flimsy attempts at making out that its flops will stop the franchise which didn't(It won't because of its presitge which you as a supposed long time sega fan would have known)yet refuse to acknowledge that the other games won't fair any better when they have flopped time and again. Just because the genre is popular at the moment isn't even a guarantee that these games will sell. And do i need to mention the countless ports and touched up ports GA gets? Far from dead which can't be said for a lot of DC ip.   

I'm over the DC, quite a lot here aren't. That's not to say IP from different platforms shouldn't be given another chance.  COD on the X-Box and PS 2 not a seller, on the 360 and PS3 its massive, Monster Hunter on the PS2, not that big, now its massive on the 3DS and PSP.
The numourous DC titles have been given a chance by Sega that was the point, they keep failing so get over it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:54:56 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »
Or did you miss God Of War which is still a succesful franchise. The genre is stagant not dead, there is a huge difference.

Lool I made sure to emphasize the word 'simple' hack and slash game again. GOW is not a simple hack and slash game, but a game that combines Platforming, fighting and puzzling solving all in one massive adventure game. I can't think of a single puzzle in any of the Arcade or Mega Drive Golden Axe games at all they are not the same games. ,I LOVE the Golden Axe series on the MD and in the Arcades and still hope and wish SEGA will bring Golden Axe revenge of death adder to XBLA/PSN but I feel that style and genre is now dead for an main stream game;I guess SEGA could make a massive open world adventure like Capcom's upcoming Dragon's Dogma, but then it really won't be Golden Axe, but It could work I guess.

In plain and simple english TA

I know, both After Burner Climax and PSP AB in the sentence: implying both were out sourced. There is no 'Climax' in the PSP title.

The DC games that you mention haven't sold well outside of the DC/arcade in samba's case

Samba was a complete smash in the Arcades and the limited production run of the DC version sold out. It was the high cost of the sensor and the fact that it was only meant and used for a single game, that killed any chance the game might have had to be a bigger hit, well that and the fact that it was on a doomed platform. Those are not issues SEGA will have any more and it could be done on the cheap (the orginal was done on the cheap and in just 6 months), so even if it failed it won't be that bad for SEGA and Samba is such a better game, than that Ubisoft drivel

I think it be great for Kinect, Yes Space Channel 5 would be a huge risk and an much bigger undertaking , but its such a good IP, such a cool character and a game that screams of SEGA of old, that I love to see it given one more go, while music games seem to be in vogue Thought I understand the many good reasons why it would b a bad idea, Samba to me though makes perfect sense.

The numourous DC titles have been given a chance by Sega that was the point
I don't think that many have really been given the full sequel treatment by SEGA, most were just simple ports to be fair . Granted JSRF is a right hard one to work out, But you know some times its all about getting the game out at the right time and music games see to be having their day at the moment and maybe SEGA should be looking more at exploiting its past Music IP
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 02:16:45 am »

Got it one. Money to pay the bills and to be able to work on a massive multi million selling IP brand is hard for any developer to turn down

Well, that and the opportunity to work on a legendary franchise that everyone at Platinum is a fan of.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
Lool I made sure to emphasize the word 'simple' hack and slash game again. GOW is not a simple hack and slash game, but a game that combines Platforming, fighting and puzzling solving all in one massive adventure game. I can't think of a single puzzle in any of the Arcade or Mega Drive Golden Axe games at all they are not the same games. ,I LOVE the Golden Axe series on the MD and in the Arcades and still hope and wish SEGA will bring Golden Axe revenge of death adder to XBLA/PSN but I feel that style and genre is now dead for an main stream game;I guess SEGA could make a massive open world adventure like Capcom's upcoming Dragon's Dogma, but then it really won't be Golden Axe, but It could work I guess.

GOW is a hack n slash at heart. You might as well say Rastan wasn't a hack n slash because that too featured platform style gameplay. ::) And as for your last comment for it wouldn't really be Golden axe if they use an open world MMO style, well Sega you see has a history of creating spin off games of their main series that aren't in the same genre of gamestyle that that series was famous for. Or did you miss the boat on PANZER DRAGOON SAGA,PHANTASY STAR ONLINE and countless others.

Lool I made sure to emphasize the word
;D

I know, both After Burner Climax and PSP AB in the sentence: implying both were out sourced. There is no 'Climax' in the PSP title.
Strange because I said Psp BF which stands for BLACK FALCON. Dunno how you arrived at CLIMAX. Why must you treat anyone reading this topic as an idiot that won't or can't see a simple sentence?

Here it is again..

Now TA you keep spinning your lies and i'll just keep quoting what i actually said just like i did now so people will know the actual truth. Everyone KNOWS that CLIMAX was made by Sega japan and that BF wasn't and that both titles were released around the same period. It didn't needed much explanation but obviously you didn't even know that fact. ::) Finally a game being outsourced by sega japan doesn't stop sega japan doing a game of that same title themselves.Remember that which was the original point in the first place.

Samba was a complete smash in the Arcades and the limited production run of the DC version sold out. It was the high cost of the sensor and the fact that it was only meant and used for a single game, that killed any chance the game might have had to be a bigger hit, well that and the fact that it was on a doomed platform. Those are not issues SEGA will have any more and it could be done on the cheap (the orginal was done on the cheap and in just 6 months), so even if it failed it won't be that bad for SEGA and Samba is such a better game, than that Ubisoft drivel

No one said Samba wasn't succesful, but only by arcade orders though, when sega updated the game the orders for it was less than impressive. It meant that not many arcade coinage was going through the machine to satisfy arcade operaters for them to operate the update. Calling it a smash is a bit excessive.

I think it be great for Kinect, Yes Space Channel 5 would be a huge risk and an much bigger undertaking , but its such a good IP, such a cool character and a game that screams of SEGA of old, that I love to see it given one more go, while music games seem to be in vogue Thought I understand the many good reasons why it would b a bad idea, Samba to me though makes perfect sense.
 I don't think that many have really been given the full sequel treatment by SEGA, most were just simple ports to be fair . Granted JSRF is a right hard one to work out, But you know some times its all about getting the game out at the right time and music games see to be having their day at the moment and maybe SEGA should be looking more at exploiting its past Music IP
You done yet? here's the reality. First: the ubisoft drivel and everything else music releated are cheaper to make. SC5 and SAMBA wouldn't be cheaper, the retail price alone would be over 40 quid and when most of these music games retail for 12.99 or less than it defeats the point doesn't it? For someone banging on about market forces its strange how you refuse to see the reality of these forces when it suits you which summises that you are only doing it to look cool to the others around here.
Second:Sega are already doing music games but not the titles you'd expect. Now considering i and a few others whose been long term fans can tell you Sega for some strange reason never follow a trend exactly and when they do they come up with a complete opposite style of game than what the main market is producing. Now these music style games are in the form of RYTHEM THIEF R and the PROJECT DIVA series which are music games but obviously more to them than just the mindless drivel that you mentioned. A bit like how Samba, Tamborine and SC5 were when they first hit the scene,something different and unexpected.
Thirdly: The games don't sell. None of the DC ips that Sega has tried to revive on bigger platforms have sold in satisfactory numbers, so what difference will the PS3 and Kinect make? NOTHING. And don't bother try to close an argument by saying don't mention the Wii version of Samba because that's a key point. Sega west only brought that game to the wii because fans were saying the wii would be a perfect fit thanks to the wii mote. Now what happened? Are you going to say a game sega pushed on tv didn't sell because it was faulty? With the type of audience that the Wii has who has been known to buy shitty product after shitty produt for that system? A vast audience that aren't knowledgable about games and wouldn't have heard the average reviews on it? If Samba couldn't even sell to that audience its hell not going to sell on the PS3, hell even the DC downloads aren't doing hot buisness. DC titles don't sell outside the DC period. Weve seen this with JSR and SHENMUE as well two other games identified with the system. If sega wants to do a music game they should do something different and not go with a failed IP. I feel that these titles are too SEGA for other gamers to really handle. What appeals to a sega gamer doesn't appeal to the gaming mainstream and the DC titles among some saturn and MD/MS classics are a proof of that. If they bring them back its better that they return on sega hardware.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »
Or did you miss the boat on PANZER DRAGOON SAGA,PHANTASY STAR ONLINE and countless others.

You are  the one that wishes SEGA would make a proper Phantasy Star game because to you,  PSO is not a 'true' Phantasy Star game and you don't count it has one  (fair points really) . You know full well I don't truly class Saga has a proper Panzer Dragoon game and that  I love the series for being a 3D shooter , not a RPG and if there was every to be sequel to Orta (which they won't) I would want it to be a shooter. The one Huge difference with Panzer Dragoon was it also had rich world and a mysteries back story that could be built on and explained in a RPG type game. That and the fact that the Panzer story is  played out by you and you Dragon/pet (no-One else) Very much like SOC , which made the games all the more special. The Golden Axe back story or game world isn't half as interesting as Panzer's.

Spin off can work, like in WonderBoy, but just look at Sonic or Shining Force you change the formula too much and there's an outcry and people want to the series to go back to its routes , how it used to play and how they remember them . That is always the trouble, with updating any classical old IP.

Strange because I said Psp BF which stands for BLACK FALCON. Dunno how you arrived at CLIMAX

Again....

Your 'own' words and if you can't see 'AFTERBURNER CLIMAX ' being used there, then there's something wrong.

Now TA you keep spinning your lies and i'll just keep quoting what i actually said just like i did now so people will know the actual truth

? I'm only quoting what you said .

Calling it a smash is a bit excessive

No It was a smash in the Japanese Arcades and pretty much every unit SEGA made was sold. hence like the DC version was allowed to be made and we had a upgrade (sequel for better world) made for the Arcade.

First: the ubisoft drivel and everything else music releated are cheaper to make. SC5 and SAMBA wouldn't be cheaper, the retail price alone would be over 40 quid and when most of these music games retail for 12.99

Ubisoft  dance does not cost £12  and it preety poor that you're even trying to include the after Christmas sales prices here as its RRP What next Gears  III, Fifa 12 only costing £25.  Samba was a cheap game to make has told by the games Director Nakamura-san

"The production team was no more than 10 people - It really was a small team" . "Production of the game itself only took us only five months, which was obviously a really short period of time"

Samba was done on the cheap with a small team and small production period , even by DC standards that's a tiny team and a short production .There's no reason why an improved Kinect version would cost that much more to make

Sega for some strange reason never follow a trend exactly and when they do they come up with a complete opposite style of game than what the main market is producing

C'Mon  SEGA GT, Out trigger was made, sonic Shuffle, Sega All-Stars Racing, Streets Of Rage, Deep Fear, Columns  and there's no guessing where SEGA go the idea for Binary Domain from. I wouldn't say too much but Space Channel 5 and Samba was SEGA jumping on the tread for music games at that time .Be nice if SEGA tried its own Music game on the 360 and PS3 using the new camera's and motions controls  SEGA used to be at its best when it takes other games and puts it own spin on them.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »
You are  the one that wishes SEGA would make a proper Phantasy Star game because to you,  PSO is not a 'true' Phantasy Star game and you don't count it has one  (fair points really) . You know full well I don't truly class Saga has a proper Panzer Dragoon game and that  I love the series for being a 3D shooter , not a RPG and if there was every to be sequel to Orta (which they won't) I would want it to be a shooter. The one Huge difference with Panzer Dragoon was it also had rich world and a mysteries back story that could be built on and explained in a RPG type game. That and the fact that the Panzer story is  played out by you and you Dragon/pet (no-One else) Very much like SOC , which made the games all the more special. The Golden Axe back story or game world isn't half as interesting as Panzer's.

Rubbish, the point is Sega has a history of doing it with MANY of their titles something you didn't kjnow obviously, its got nothing to do with my preference if they should do it or not its the fact that they have a history of doing it. And heres a clue, its all make believe so it isn't hard to come up with a story like the GAXE spin off RPG games prove(which isn't about the main characters)

Spin off can work, like in WonderBoy, but just look at Sonic or Shining Force you change the formula too much and there's an outcry and people want to the series to go back to its routes , how it used to play and how they remember them . That is always the trouble, with updating any classical old IP.
Sonic is shit due to the fact he isn't highlighting what the game was created for, Sega hardware, SF well we all know what went wrong there.
Again....

Your 'own' words and if you can't see 'AFTERBURNER CLIMAX ' being used there, then there's something wrong.

? I'm only quoting what you said .
Again in my own words i mentioned TWO different titles. I didn't say ABC twice i used it once and then said psp BF. Everyone knows that they are two different titles, the sentence CLEARLY states that i was talking about one game being made by japan and one being outsourced. You clearly can't read properly.

No It was a smash in the Japanese Arcades and pretty much every unit SEGA made was sold. hence like the DC version was allowed to be made and we had a upgrade (sequel for better world) made for the Arcade.

No an arcade smash is when people are actually playing the game. Just because the units sold doesn't mean everyone played it as the update clearly showed with the lousy orders it got and that didn't need a cabinet to go with it that was a software update. next thing you might as well say TIME TRAVELLER was an arcade smash just because it sold most of its units.

Ubisoft  dance does not cost £12  and it preety poor that you're even trying to include the after Christmas sales prices here as its RRP What next Gears  III, Fifa 12 only costing £25.  Samba was a cheap game to make has told by the games Director Nakamura-san
Wrong that's how much it has cost since its been released nothing to do with crimbo sales, try again.All those games are cheaply produced and go on about a tenner.

Samba was done on the cheap with a small team and small production period , even by DC standards that's a tiny team and a short production .There's no reason why an improved Kinect version would cost that much more to make
Because it wouldn't sell as its proven before.

C'Mon  SEGA GT, Out trigger was made, sonic Shuffle, Sega All-Stars Racing, Streets Of Rage, Deep Fear, Columns  and there's no guessing where SEGA go the idea for Binary Domain from. I wouldn't say too much but Space Channel 5 and Samba was SEGA jumping on the tread for music games at that time .Be nice if SEGA tried its own Music game on the 360 and PS3 using the new camera's and motions controls  SEGA used to be at its best when it takes other games and puts it own spin on them.

And how many FPS were being released on the arcades? None. OUTRIGGER was and still foremost a good attempt at doing a fps inspired title but they didn't go the obvious route.  When they do follow the trend they do it very differently, which is the point, all those games you mentioned can attest to that. SC5 as i mentioned before were different to most of the dance games that was out there at the time. Talk about missing the point. ::)

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
LOL

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2011, 05:56:05 am »
And how many FPS were being released on the arcades? None. OUTRIGGER was and still foremost a good attempt at doing a fps inspired title but they didn't go the obvious route

For someone who claims to know so much about the industry to not know the likes of Quake were ported the Arcade (before Outrigger) is telling,  never mind that the likes of Half Life II and counterstrike also made it to the Arcades(ok they came latter, but yes there's been examples of FPS in the Arcades) . Anyway to look over where SEGA got the inspiration for the OutTrigger - where the team were big fans of Doom and Half Life is just being silly.

its got nothing to do with my preference if they should do it or not its the fact that they have a history of doing it.

? You the one that hated Naka for doing it hates PSO and wants SEGA to go back the the series routes and that's fair enough . And even the casuals know SEGA does spin off's they only had to play Sonic Spinball or Golden Axe the Dual, Ax Battler (since we're talking of Golden Axe) . So I do not get your silly little points.

Sonic is shit due to the fact he isn't highlighting what the game was created for, Sega hardware
I think Sonic was created more for SEGA tying to take on Mario more than showing off SEGA hardware. There's  been great Sonic games on 'Non' SEGA hardware be that Neo Pocket, GBA, DS and even now the Wii, 360 and PS3 . The huge trouble was people wanted to play as Sonic and its taken years for the Sonic Team to come round to that issues and now that they have Sonic is getting right back on form with Generations & Colors.

I didn't say ABC twice i used it once and then said psp BF

? I never said you used it twice, you used it and that's all I was replying too still . The only one that change their tune is you in you previous post you even said this 
Strange because I said Psp BF which stands for BLACK FALCON. Dunno how you arrived at CLIMAX

Wrong that's how much it has cost since its been released nothing to do with crimbo sales,
No it wasn't  it was £40 next you'll be making out that Saints Row III RRP is £15. Don't believe me, go to Ubisoft official website to see the RRP in full effect

No an arcade smash is when people are actually playing the game. Just because the units sold doesn't mean everyone played it as the update clearly showed with the lousy orders it got and that didn't need a cabinet to go with it that was a software update

? Outun was an Arcade smash and SEGA sold all of the 30,000 Coin Ups in Manufactured on terms alone it was a complete success . Samba was a great success for SEGA that's what gave the green light for the DC version and the update. 

next thing you might as well say TIME TRAVELLER was an arcade smash just because it sold most of its units.
I would  call it a success because that also how SEGA makes money- ie selling hardware to Operators) not just on how many times people pay the to play the games(granted that's why the most money is)  but like a lot of Laser Disc games at the time, they were very unreliable and not suited to the smoke/ dust filled Arcades and being on for hours and hours on end

Because it wouldn't sell as its proven before
None of us now it would sell decent on Kinect, because SEGA hasn't tried it and even if they were  it could be a nice cheap and simple production and if you are to go on sales before then sales of Golden Axe show the IP is dead .  Looking over to make a new Golden Axe game would need a much bigger team and bigger production budget if its to have any chance of taking on today's 3D action games

Be nice if you just have a open mined , some people  wants a new Golden Axe and people like Sharky make a decent case. I like to see a new Space Channel 5 game or more so a new Shinobi game and can all debate the pro's and con's. Why you have wade in with the Trademark insults and turn everything into a hate war and you know more than anyone about SEGA I really do not know

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:59:54 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is