Author Topic: Why the Dream failed, Famitsu article  (Read 47504 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Why the Dream failed, Famitsu article
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »
I never said I like Microsoft. I said I chose Microsoft over Sony. For obvious reasons. To be honest, Sega was the last brand I felt associated with. Evenmore I do not identify myself with a brand. I buy something because of its quality and the purpose of it. Sega made quality products regardless of their marketing strategy.

This was my exact sentiment at the time as well. As soon as Sega stopped making consoles, I stopped being personally invested in them. My gamer self DREAMS of a chance to return to the time of a single machine for all Sega games.

I have to agree with Nameless as well. The portable market is wide open for the anti-nintendo or "hardcore" crowd as Sony is massively dropping the ball on the vita. The 3DS has proven that portable consoles don't need to be bleeding-edge tech, so R&D costs would be much less than what would be required of a home console.

Pack in some basic phone functionality with an Android layer, and boom, instant library of Sega launch titles available with no extra development time needed and the marketing bonus of having one device (something the Vita really should have done by now).

Oh and if Sega does secure Atlus, the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series can make this system serious competition for the 3DS.

All this while still allowing their console development remain as a 3rd party to the remaining big 3.

Offline Salsatuna

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Chevalier of the Modern Age
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
This was my exact sentiment at the time as well. As soon as Sega stopped making consoles, I stopped being personally invested in them. My gamer self DREAMS of a chance to return to the time of a single machine for all Sega games.

I have to agree with Nameless as well. The portable market is wide open for the anti-nintendo or "hardcore" crowd as Sony is massively dropping the ball on the vita. The 3DS has proven that portable consoles don't need to be bleeding-edge tech, so R&D costs would be much less than what would be required of a home console.

Pack in some basic phone functionality with an Android layer, and boom, instant library of Sega launch titles available with no extra development time needed and the marketing bonus of having one device (something the Vita really should have done by now).

Oh and if Sega does secure Atlus, the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series can make this system serious competition for the 3DS.

All this while still allowing their console development remain as a 3rd party to the remaining big 3.

I cannot say that you and Nameless are incorrect. Getting back on the horse, by starting with a handheld is very do-able. And it's also financially "prudent" as you both also stated very clearly. Maybe we should all take iniatiative and kickstart something?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:50:35 pm by Salsatuna »
Salsatuna is my universal account. Except on the PSN as someone stole my alias. Oh, PS! Why must you always torment me!!!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »
If Sega started a Kickstarter for a new console or handheld yeah i'd jump on the wagon, but i wouldn't support a fan project, wouldn't want my cash to go down the drain. With something like this, i'd need to see credibility or at least a good resume.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 06:22:38 pm »
Sega isn't a group of backyard neckbeards and feminazis like the Ouya bunch, they don't need no kickstarter.

If such a situation is beneficial for Sega I'm sure they have already considered it. But I fail to see where starting a war with Nintendo, Sega's current best buddy, would fit in the picture at all. Do you think Nintendo would accept Sega's home console games on the WiiU while Sega's handheld eats up handheld marketshare?

Maybe in the future when Nintendo gives up home consoles and Sega's PC investment is a success..
SEG4GES

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:02 pm »
Sega isn't a group of backyard neckbeards and feminazis like the Ouya bunch, they don't need no kickstarter.

If such a situation is beneficial for Sega I'm sure they have already considered it. But I fail to see where starting a war with Nintendo, Sega's current best buddy, would fit in the picture at all. Do you think Nintendo would accept Sega's home console games on the WiiU while Sega's handheld eats up handheld marketshare?

Maybe in the future when Nintendo gives up home consoles and Sega's PC investment is a success..

The way I see it, Nintendo wouldn't have a choice. WiiU isn't exactly attracting a ton of 3rd party support at the moment. You can argue that their most anticipated title this year is a sega one (sonic lost world). With EA outright dissing the WiiU and Ubi scaling back, Sega is kinda their most prominent 3rd party supporter at the moment.

Sega kinda has Nintendo by the balls at the moment and I doubt Nintendo has the authority to shut down future product development from Sega. What could they do? Not allow Sega titles their titles on their systems. Wouldn't hurt so bad. I'm sure XB1 and PS4 would gladly host the next gen Sonic and other IPs. All the more if they secure Atlus.

Nope, if Sega was ever to flex some muscle and make some hard terms with Nintendo, now is the time while the WiiU's place in the next gen is uncertain and they themselves are nice and profitable.   

I agree with you that a Kickstarter will never, ever, ever happen from Sega's end though (and shouldn't). I also agree with you that a portable console is in no way a new idea to them and if they thought it was feasible and profitable, they would have dove in already.

Is it just me or is or does it feel like Sega's planning something, something big? They keep snatching up or trying to snatch up the prime studios of these failed publishers. Something's going on, I tells ya.

Offline Salsatuna

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 03:19:06 am »
The way I see it, Nintendo wouldn't have a choice. WiiU isn't exactly attracting a ton of 3rd party support at the moment. You can argue that their most anticipated title this year is a sega one (sonic lost world). With EA outright dissing the WiiU and Ubi scaling back, Sega is kinda their most prominent 3rd party supporter at the moment.

Sega kinda has Nintendo by the balls at the moment and I doubt Nintendo has the authority to shut down future product development from Sega. What could they do? Not allow Sega titles their titles on their systems. Wouldn't hurt so bad. I'm sure XB1 and PS4 would gladly host the next gen Sonic and other IPs. All the more if they secure Atlus.

Nope, if Sega was ever to flex some muscle and make some hard terms with Nintendo, now is the time while the WiiU's place in the next gen is uncertain and they themselves are nice and profitable.   

I agree with you that a Kickstarter will never, ever, ever happen from Sega's end though (and shouldn't). I also agree with you that a portable console is in no way a new idea to them and if they thought it was feasible and profitable, they would have dove in already.

Is it just me or is or does it feel like Sega's planning something, something big? They keep snatching up or trying to snatch up the prime studios of these failed publishers. Something's going on, I tells ya.

that Kickstarter idea, is more like a kick in the head towards Sega. Maybe if the see how much people are willing to invest it will let a bell ring.

But, yes something is up, Sega's redefined strategy, buying developpers,...It definetly looks like they are buying themselves back into the market. But only them are seeing the big picture as we don't even know Sega's point of view or even its short, middle or long-term expectations and/or ambitions.

And as i have stated before, "with all the commotion around Sony and Microsoft a new Sega branded console would steal everybody's thunder" and even their lightning.

If all the moves Sega is making lately can be considered as baby-steps. Then, by all mean, please continue making those steps until full maturity. Patience is a virtue as it is said.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:28:51 am by Salsatuna »
Salsatuna is my universal account. Except on the PSN as someone stole my alias. Oh, PS! Why must you always torment me!!!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 03:25:29 am »
The same thing is going on the moment Segasammy became an official company and Satomi, the group leader stated his intentions on what he wanted the group to become. "The biggest entertainment company of video games in the world". Or something to that affect. All the investments and acquisitions of companies like Sanjio(Hello Kitty) to Creative Assembly still points to that goal but on a slower pace than he originally had hoped for.

Sega doesn't need to get back into the game until the big players drop out. I shudder to think what a console would be like from sega without their genius hardware designer Hideki Sato.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:30 am »
To be quite honest about the HD-DVD. It wasn't the choice of the consumer. At that time Blu-ray players were way too expensive for the majority of people to buy. And at that time it was only about films. A whole lot of distributors (Warner Brothers etc.) were releasing their products on both players (HD-DVD and Blu-ray). But at some point they started to choose a side,as if it was necessary, and in the end only Microsoft was supporting the HD-DVD format. In my opinion this was an elaborated scheme of one company, who, in my opinion made some (financial) promesses to them.

And the likes of Paramount only backed HD DVD. If MS had the balls and put in a HD DVD drive into every 360 it may have won the war . In the end it was the consumer that made sure who won.

I agree, that the Dreamcast didn't have a DVD player for games or even for playback. Or digital out. But did anyone who has a DC missed it? No, they didn't. You were still able to have higher quality imagery thanks to VGA output.

Yes they did . and DVD used for games (I wasn't at all bothered about DVD playaback) would have helped made sure all the games came on 1 disc and helped SEGA with piracy.

So, it only seems that people bought a PS because of a Unique Selling Proposition, and that was "it has a DVD player". Now, that same caterogy of people, are bashing the unborn XboxOne because, it is proposing other features besides "just gaming

That is just rubbished tbh . In Japan sure in the West not really. More people went for the Hype of Toy Story graphics in real time, 70 million polygons and games like GT 3 and MGS 2 - That's what really won the day for SONY games and 3rd party/retail support .

Sega made quality products regardless of their marketing strategy.

So does SONY, So does MS and so on . SEGA fans not might like it , but the PS was a great product and a nice system . I hated the likes SONY spun with the PS2 but SEGA its self have played that game 500,000 polygons with the Saturn (yeah right ) trying to pass off Arcade footage of VF and Daytona USA as running on the Saturn, using Arcade screen shots on flyers , even with the DC SEGA span a few lies like every DC game would be running at 60 fps - when even Sonic Adv couldn't hit that target.

A lot of what happend to SEGA was of its own making and its own fault , but there you go . 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Salsatuna

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 05:06:11 am »
And the likes of Paramount only backed HD DVD. If MS had the balls and put in a HD DVD drive into every 360 it may have won the war . In the end it was the consumer that made sure who won.

Yes they did . and DVD used for games (I wasn't at all bothered about DVD playaback) would have helped made sure all the games came on 1 disc and helped SEGA with piracy.

That is just rubbished tbh . In Japan sure in the West not really. More people went for the Hype of Toy Story graphics in real time, 70 million polygons and games like GT 3 and MGS 2 - That's what really won the day for SONY games and 3rd party/retail support .

So does SONY, So does MS and so on . SEGA fans not might like it , but the PS was a great product and a nice system . I hated the likes SONY spun with the PS2 but SEGA its self have played that game 500,000 polygons with the Saturn (yeah right ) trying to pass off Arcade footage of VF and Daytona USA as running on the Saturn, using Arcade screen shots on flyers , even with the DC SEGA span a few lies like every DC game would be running at 60 fps - when even Sonic Adv couldn't hit that target.

A lot of what happend to SEGA was of its own making and its own fault , but there you go .

Your statement about the HD-DVD doesn't prove at all that the consumer made a choice. You are saying that the consumer made a choice by buying the only available system left, which is the Blu-ray, as there was/is nothing else left to buy .

Dvd-rom or not. It wouldn't have made a lot of difference in regards to Piracy. The system operated under Windows CE. And it's a known fact that 90% of the systems worldwide are IBM PC's. Those PC's at that time were practically all running on Windows. So a hacker/cracker had little alteration to make to the code.

Maybe you bought the PS because of the games you mentionned. Because of the "timed exclusives" and because of other 3rd party titles.
In that case you're proving that Original Name is correct. If it were not for all the buy-off's Sony did , it really stood nowhere. And everyone that tested the two consoles simultaneously knows that the DC was faster, and delivered better colours and graphics. So, basicly what the PS2 could, the DC could do better.

As for the "I'm gonna buy a PS2 because it has a DVD" is not rubbish at all. I witnessed it, and everyone here, who is not blinded Sony's little playstation's will tell you the same. Search for other forums and you will find the same comments. And i'm talking only for the West.

Common, quality products from Sony or even Microsoft?! Hell, my friends who had a PS1, really had an average of 3 to 4 in total. Quality you said?! My original xbox got repaired once if i'm not mistaken. thanks to Microsoft great 2year Warranty, if not i would have probably need to buy a new one. As for the X360, my first model was repaired only once. Which is actually a miracle considering all the shit you can read online. But it lasted 3 years, so no warranty, but Microsoft still delivers aftersales on items outside of warranty, so UPS came and took, and Microsoft gave me a new one for around 90euro's. My red xbox360 hasn't given on me yet. And my star wars slim seems very much ok.  I heard shit about the PS2 aswell. As for the PS3, I didn't care anymore, but im sure it's not flawless too as it has undergone numerous facelifts.

Now tell me that again, knowing that my Megadrive, Saturn, and DC all works perfectly after all those years??

I've also mentionned, that, Yes Sega shot in its own foot. I even said it using your words.
But as Original mentionned, Sony has a great share in SEGA's failing, especially during the DC era.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 05:53:50 am »
Your statement about the HD-DVD doesn't prove at all that the consumer made a choice. You are saying that the consumer made a choice by buying the only available system left, which is the Blu-ray, as there was/is nothing else left to buy .

? HD DVD was out before BluRay it was also on sale the same time as BluRay the consumer went with BluRay . Its quite simply really .

Dvd-rom or not. It wouldn't have made a lot of difference in regards to Piracy. The system operated under Windows CE. And it's a known fact that 90% of the systems worldwide are IBM PC's. Those PC's at that time were practically all running on Windows. So a hacker/cracker had little alteration to make to the code

What ? The DC used SEGA own front end and 90% of DC games used SEGA own Set 5 development system and kits . Hardly any developer used Windows CE has to get the best out of the DC you needed to code to the metal . The fact that didn't use DVD made it very easy to copy games at time .

Maybe you bought the PS because of the games you mentionned. Because of the "timed exclusives" and because of other 3rd party titles.
In that case you're proving that Original Name is correct. If it were not for all the buy-off's Sony did , it really stood nowhere.

I never bought a PS and its laughable to see SEGA fans have a pop at SONY for doing deals and timed exclusives and even one that's a XBox fan . Don't MS do timed exclusivses with the likes of Ninja Gaiden, Lost Plannet and so , didn't SEGA do deals with Capcom on the likes of Resdient Evil Code Veronica, C&C and Tomb Raider on the Saturn . Sorry to crush a dream but they all do it .

As for the "I'm gonna buy a PS2 because it has a DVD" is not rubbish at all. I witnessed it, and everyone here, who is not blinded Sony's little playstation's will tell you the same

It is rubbish as far more people bought a PS2 to play the likes of MGS 2 and the like or the fact that in the USA sales of DVD films didn't shoot up that much with the PS2 . I'm sure some bought a PS3 becasie it was a cheaper BluRay player, but in the end more people buy a console for it's games .

And everyone that tested the two consoles simultaneously knows that the DC was faster, and delivered better colours and graphics. So, basicly what the PS2 could, the DC could do better.

Spare me the fanboy drivel . Fact 1 the PS2 had by far the fastest and better CPU also the PS2 had the biggest and faster memory bandwidth of any console (for the time it was quite incredible) the machine could also handle way way more polygons . I would agree that the DC displayed the better image , the better more colorful and cleaner textures though .

My original xbox got repaired once if i'm not mistaken. thanks to Microsoft great 2year Warranty

It was 3 years and that was only thanks to the outcry over the TROD that almost every owner of the old 360 suffered from .

I heard shit about the PS2 aswell. As for the PS3, I didn't care anymore, but im sure it's not flawless too as it has undergone numerous facelifts.

We need to get our facts straight the 360 has its self gone through 3 redesigns and numerous chispets changes be that Falcon, Jasper and so on and its not like the old XBox Thomson drives didn't have massive issues of their own

Now tell me that again, knowing that my Megadrive, Saturn, and DC all works perfectly after all those years

MD was a Cart machine - no moving parts = much better reliability . Sorry but the DC had many issues of it own from scratching discs for Japanse systems,  to the shoulder buttons breaking or the PSU connector needing cleaning (or the machine would switch off ).

So lets take off those rose tinted glasses shall we ;) :P

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 06:02:25 am »
Geez, TA, do you have to be always aggresive to new members whenever they bring such enthuasim for Sega to this site? Whatcha trying to do scare them off? Never mind the sad fact that you've become an coporate apoligist for S*ny and M$ rather than the once pround sega supporter you use to be.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 06:16:23 am »
My two cents...

It wasn't the customers choice. The movie industry decided to back Blu Ray over HD-DVD. Its an estabilshed fact.  Some say it was for revenge over the huge piracy and downloads which they blamed Microsoft for enabling via windows. You are correct in this so i don't see why its being contested.

In that case you're proving that Original Name is correct. If it were not for all the buy-off's Sony did , it really stood nowhere. And everyone that tested the two consoles simultaneously knows that the DC was faster, and delivered better colours and graphics. So, basicly what the PS2 could, the DC could do better.

As for the "I'm gonna buy a PS2 because it has a DVD" is not rubbish at all. I witnessed it, and everyone here, who is not blinded Sony's little playstation's will tell you the same. Search for other forums and you will find the same comments. And i'm talking only for the West.

Another estabilshed fact that you have said which isn't worth contesting. DVD was on sale in Japan for months and didn't take off. It only took off in Japan because the pS2 could not only play DVDs but was the most affordable DVD unit around at the time. That was also the reason why people brought the PS2 in the west. It sure as hell wasn't for the games because no actual game of any worth appeared on the PS2 until three years into after launch.
Common, quality products from Sony or even Microsoft?! Hell, my friends who had a PS1, really had an average of 3 to 4 in total. Quality you said?! My original xbox got repaired once if i'm not mistaken. thanks to Microsoft great 2year Warranty, if not i would have probably need to buy a new one. As for the X360, my first model was repaired only once. Which is actually a miracle considering all the shit you can read online. But it lasted 3 years, so no warranty, but Microsoft still delivers aftersales on items outside of warranty, so UPS came and took, and Microsoft gave me a new one for around 90euro's. My red xbox360 hasn't given on me yet. And my star wars slim seems very much ok.  I heard shit about the PS2 aswell. As for the PS3, I didn't care anymore, but im sure it's not flawless too as it has undergone numerous facelifts.
Something they stole from Sega with the Megadrive and Master system 2 facelifts...to your main point...
Yes another estabilshed fact. PS1's always broke down. It was unique at the time because game systems up to that point wasn't known to break down and especially break down that frequently. The PS2 also did the same thing. I knew someone who owned a Saturn and his mom chucked the system from the top of the stairs and it still worked. Saturn the durable... to be this good takes sega... to last this good takes sega again. To break down after a feather lands on your game system takes Sony. True story by the way...

Now tell me that again, knowing that my Megadrive, Saturn, and DC all works perfectly after all those years??
Exactly because many people who still own those systems have never complained about the systems breaking down. Compared to the PSx userbase who probably doesn't have a workable PSX and PS2 working from when they originally brought it.

I've also mentionned, that, Yes Sega shot in its own foot. I even said it using your words.
But as Original mentionned, Sony has a great share in SEGA's failing, especially during the DC era.
Yes another fact well estabilshed. Well said.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 06:23:44 am »

It's why I suggested partnering with Nintendo to make a hybrid SEGA/Nintendo handheld.

That way, SEGA can make Sonic titles on the Wii U or whatever and gaining profits from the handheld nature (DAT POKEMON MONEY!).

They can still do PC (and console) development, since Nintendo has no say in what SEGA can do. Fingers in all the pies, I say.

I don't think Nintendo games are enough to keep their own consoles competitive vs Sony/MS, but if they have SEGA on board, then they could both be the perfect haven for gamers who are into the more Japanese experiences.

By staying on one handheld sector, SEGA have at least picked the winning horse (no offence to the Vita).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:25:46 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:49 am »
Nintendo wouldn't agree to that even if it was profitable. They'd rather cut their nose to spite their face rather than partner with anyone on a system. The whole Sony/Nintendo Playstation SNES CD-ROM was a good example of why they wouldn't want o get burnt again.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 06:59:25 am »
Geez, TA, do you have to be always aggresive to new members whenever they bring such enthuasim for Sega to this site?

There's no a single personal attack in the whole of my posts . I just so bored of it wasn't SEGA fault it was all the fault of the evil SONY.  I refused too and never have bought a PS , I'm not a fan of the PS2 hardware at all but the facts are that SEGA did more damage to it self and more to hurt the company that what SONY or MS did. And even now SEGA is making some bonehead mess ups with SONIC only coming to the Wii U for consoles being 1 of them :( 

That said the utter lies of the PS2 on-line and the fake PS2 demo's still to this day hurt :(

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is