Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 100835 times)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2013, 02:02:05 am »
I will say lost world does look pretty fun.
It's okay, lol.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:40:34 am by Ben »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
The 3ds cutscenes are in 3D, so I'm guessing the length of the cutscenes, doubled for left eye and right eye, lead to having to compress the video. While I'd prefer sharp 2d cutscenes, seeing them in 3d was pretty cool.

A lot of other 3DS games have some rather good looking cutscenes in 3D without the compression seen in the Lost World cutscenes...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:00:13 am by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:14 am »
Man the character portrayals and voice acting in this game are the best i've seen. Sonic doesn't piss me off and tails actually acts like a guy for once. Wow at the humorous chemistry between all of them.

I think the best way to describe this game to me is that I can really really appreciate the efforts despite some of the flaws

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »
True, I guess I should wait till i play the full game so i can give it a lower score. I'm probably being too generous. From what I've seen I have no interest in beating Mario bosses or dealing with the frustration ive seen lots of people dealing with.

I've heard from quite a few people the game really falls apart quite fast in the second half. So I'm probably being too generous :)

Dude, you have gotta be trolling. Yes you should wait to play the game before assigning a score, but what the hell do you have this need to bump it down further than the "7" you assigned the game (basedo n the demo??).

Rather than making Mario comparison disses, go into some detail as to what these similarities are and why they're a bad thing.

I honestly gave up on sonic after sonic unleashed, i honestly couldn't stand the werehog levels.. As fun as generations and lost world looked, i can't bring myself to buy another sonic game and be disappointed. I will say lost world does look pretty fun.

You really should return to the franchise. Unleashed was a bad game, when it came to the pacing and the fact that it was 70% Werehog. So I don't question why somebody would leave the franchise after that, but I'm surprised that after all the praise Colors and Generations has received, that you have not given those titles a try. Especially now that they're $20 or less, and are both far better games than Unleashed. Generations is especially a great game for those who loved the Genesis originals and want to play a much improved modern Sonic in 3D that is a mix of the best elements found in the Unleashed's day stages and Sonic Colors.

And yeah, Sonic Lost World is a fun game, at least in my opinion. If you have a Wii U, i'd get the game. Though don't get a Wii U just for Lost World.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »
Man the character portrayals and voice acting in this game are the best i've seen. Sonic doesn't piss me off and tails actually acts like a guy for once. Wow at the humorous chemistry between all of them.

What?

I think we've seen two different games as far as cutscenes go, it seems to be as bad/barely average as ever as far as the script goes. It seems on par with the mainline games after Sonic 06.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »
Dude, you have gotta be trolling. Yes you should wait to play the game before assigning a score, but what the hell do you have this need to bump it down further than the "7" you assigned the game (basedo n the demo??).

Rather than making Mario comparison disses, go into some detail as to what these similarities are and why they're a bad thing.

Why get so defensive about a subpar Sonic game?

Besides he does have a point, the bosses are pretty terrible and says more about them when Sonic Dash's own boss battle seems to be much better than whatever Sonic Team came up with and Shadi's assessment on lowering the score on the latter half of the game makes sense, if the first half of the game is great but it falls apart near towards the end it will have a detrimental effect on the score of the game much like Sonic Unleashed's werehog segment killed off enjoyment for a lot of people.

I honestly gave up on sonic after sonic unleashed, i honestly couldn't stand the werehog levels.. As fun as generations and lost world looked, i can't bring myself to buy another sonic game and be disappointed. I will say lost world does look pretty fun.

I know the feeling, the series is very much a c tier franchise in terms of quality for me but if you enjoyed Sonic's stages in Unleashed you should enjoy his levels in Sonic Generations whilst the classic Sonic segment is great, a fair warning though that there is still a lot of issues with the games but they clearly learned a lot from the game's leading upto Generations.

Sonic Colours on the otherhand is a much slower paced platformer that has some amount of exploration inserted in the forms of powerups. Its not something I enjoyed but I'd say give it a try if you prefer more boxy platforming.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:06:30 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2013, 02:27:51 pm »

Besides he does have a point, the bosses are pretty terrible and says more about them when Sonic Dash's own boss battle seems to be much better than whatever Sonic Team came up with and Shadi's assessment on lowering the score on the latter half of the game makes sense, if the first half of the game is great but it falls apart near towards the end it will have a detrimental effect on the score of the game much like Sonic Unleashed's werehog segment killed off enjoyment for a lot of people.

I've played the game and wrote a lengthy review, Will has played the demo and is all a sudden an expert on the game. He even has formed opinions on parts he hasn't even played.

Also, don't play the defensive card. This is a fan forum, we discuss stuff.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »
What?

I think we've seen two different games as far as cutscenes go, it seems to be as bad/barely average as ever as far as the script goes. It seems on par with the mainline games after Sonic 06.
I just finished frozen factory(going slowly) and so far everything about sonic and tails' portrayal have been great to me. Maybe some later stuff happens that'll make me cringe? I like how roger craigh smith just makes the delivery of sonic's portrayal not cringe worthy leaning to likable for once. It just comes off more natural and less like acting this time. I also feel like he's got a lot better after colors and generations because I didnt like him too much in colors and in generations there wasn't much that could stand out with its very thin plot
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:55:41 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »

because of people like you and will, who pass judgement without playing the full game.  It's not sub par, it's above average.  Not amazing/fantastic, but not nearly as bad as many are painting it to be. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:42:54 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2013, 02:52:07 pm »
I just tried Unleashed one last time, to make sure it really belongs on the to-go pile.  I finally beat the first Werehog level, and I though, maybe I judged it too harshly.  Then I played the Airplane QTE level.  Oh my god that was awful.  Yep, back on the to-go pile. 

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2013, 04:39:13 pm »
I've played the game and wrote a lengthy review, Will has played the demo and is all a sudden an expert on the game. He even has formed opinions on parts he hasn't even played.

Also, don't play the defensive card. This is a fan forum, we discuss stuff.

Will mentioned what he played of the demo, gave the game a 7/10 "based on the demo" and somehow 7/10 is a bad score? Furthermore as I mentioned there is no issue in saying he might lower the score if the rest of the game falls apart and one point he touched on, the bosses, is perfectly valid. They are some of the worst in the series.

because of people like you and will, who pass judgement without playing the full game.  It's not sub par, it's above average.  Not amazing/fantastic, but not nearly as bad as many are painting it to be. 

Either subpar or above average is not a standard I want SEGA to be aiming for.

I'm passing judgement on what I've played on the demo (Three levels) and what I've seen. Do I need to play all of Shadow the Hedgehog to know I will not like it? No I do not.

I just finished frozen factory(going slowly) and so far everything about sonic and tails' portrayal have been great to me. Maybe some later stuff happens that'll make me cringe? I like how roger craigh smith just makes the delivery of sonic's portrayal not cringe worthy leaning to likable for once. It just comes off more natural and less like acting this time. I also feel like he's got a lot better after colors and generations because I didnt like him too much in colors and in generations there wasn't much that could stand out with its very thin plot

Oh I will agree with Roger being a good choice and has really grown into the role, I just didn't think the script was that good but as I said, Sonic scripts have either been bad or average so there is nothing much the voice actors can do (Saying that I think the actors for Tails are Amy are still bad)

Funny enough the Japanese script is a bit different from it's Western counterpart.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »
1. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3) - 1.1 million
2. Pokémon X (3DS) - >1.7 million combined with Pokemon Y
3. Pokémon Y (3DS) - See Pokemon X
4. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PC) - 825,000-850,000
5. Batman: Arkham Origins (360, PS3, Wii U, PC) - <650,000 (PS3 + 360 = 98.2%, Wii U = 1.8%)
6. Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (360, PS3, Wii U) - <630,000 (Wii U = 1%)
7. NBA 2K14 (360, PS3, PC)
8. Skylanders: Swap Force (Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS) - <320,000
9. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS, PC)
10. WWE 2K14 (360, PS3)
XX. Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3) - >150,000
XX. Just Dance 2014 (360, PS3, Wii U, Wii) - <150,000
XX: Beyond: Two Souls (PS3) - 120,000-125,000
XX: Sonic: Lost World (Wii U, 3DS) - <30,000
XX. Wii Party U (Wii U) - <20,000

hopefully SEGA got some good money from Nintendo and isn't paying for this bomb out of their own pockets :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=90076916&postcount=1213

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »
Yikes at those sales numbers, now even my 500,000 estimation is seeming a bit too generous. I was expecting the 3DS to pick up the slack over the Wii U version but it seems well and truly this game is going to be a massive failure to everyone involved.

Hope this has no detrimental effect on the brand long term but with the animated series coming next year it should provide a boost in sales for whatever the next Sonic game will be.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »
- If you liked the voice acting and cutscenes from Colors, you'll like them in Lost World.

- The gameplay is just as good in the latter stages as they are in the early ones. In fact, as you get better with the gameplay, the latter stages are more interesting as they are more challenging.

- the bosses are not completely Mario-esque. They vary. Some are like Mario, others are like Nights or Sonic.

- If you're a Sonic fan and you haven't played Generations, you're seriously missing out (Classic Sonic FFS).

That is all.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2013, 10:36:53 pm »

You really should return to the franchise. Unleashed was a bad game, when it came to the pacing and the fact that it was 70% Werehog. So I don't question why somebody would leave the franchise after that, but I'm surprised that after all the praise Colors and Generations has received, that you have not given those titles a try. Especially now that they're $20 or less, and are both far better games than Unleashed. Generations is especially a great game for those who loved the Genesis originals and want to play a much improved modern Sonic in 3D that is a mix of the best elements found in the Unleashed's day stages and Sonic Colors.

And yeah, Sonic Lost World is a fun game, at least in my opinion. If you have a Wii U, i'd get the game. Though don't get a Wii U just for Lost World.

Yeah I've got a wii u, issue is, I hardly play it. I've got about 10 games for it and have managed to play less than half of em. I think I'll consider lost world when it's a lot cheaper. As far as colors goes though, I never liked the idea of whisps, it just looked super cheesy and kiddy to me, I don't know, could be judging it too harshly. Generations really does look good though, probably get one at some point.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88