Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 100827 times)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
The first level in a Sonic game is always incredibly easy to speedrun.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
It's only disappointing if your context is speed running(and even then, the automation is more alarming than the linearity).  Depending on the function of using the animals as currency, players are encouraged to investigate alternative routes and look for goodies, which windy hill has proven to have in spades.

If you can run straight to victory with little thought put into it it's a bad level design, simple as. It negates to me any purposeful challenge the level would otherwise have, all the more bizarre considering how easy it is to remove that issue with the stage.

Modern GHZ in generations could be literally played without touching the analog stick, yet that game seems more acceptable for some reason. 

Me liking Sonic Generations = / = me liking everything about Sonic Generations, see as I bemoaned at the fact the previous games have fallen into the trap "Alternate route = best route" nor do I have any issue saying Sonic Generations modern section only picked up from Sky Sanctuary.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
This guy nails what I was thinking about Sonic Generations having much better design, he just puts it out in words much better then i did

Level design? Straightforward tubes, aside from the fact that you can walk under them? Large stretches of nothing with random items and enemies strewn throughout? Boring 2D segments? Awkward-looking snowball stages? Glorified mach speed stages?

Believe it or not, many of the stages in Generations had depth. Modern Seaside Hill and Modern Sky Sanctuary in particular blow absolutely everything that we've seen from Lost World out of the water.

You want to tone down "GOTTA GO FAST?" Fine. Take Generations, tighten up the controls, get rid of the filler boost/quick-shift segments, and build stages with the depth of Seaside Hill.

Lost World is absolutely a downgrade.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85719769&postcount=63

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 06:22:57 pm »
The spindash does seem very overpowered. It keeps up constant speed without losing momentum eventually

sigh. I hate this type of gamedesign. Not surprising from SEGA. they dont seem to care much about balance lately.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »
sigh. I hate this type of gamedesign. Not surprising from SEGA. they dont seem to care much about balance lately.

SEGA = / = Sonic Team.

Unless RGG Studio and AM2 were merged with Sonic Team without me knowing.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 07:00:50 pm »
Ah sorry bro. I meant to say sonicteam yeah. not a coincidence pso2 falls under it as well. I'd argue rgg, but then the team made the brilliant binary domain

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
Just a reminder to stay on topic. Talking about other studios is fine, but this could quickly turn into a topic about binary domain at this rate :P

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »
Just a reminder to stay on topic. Talking about other studios is fine, but this could quickly turn into a topic about binary domain at this rate :P

And then the epic showdown between Joe "The meat cutter" Musashi and Team "Blissful Chaos" Andromeda would consume us all!

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »
hahahaha.kudos. Gotta love this place

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »
And then the epic showdown between Joe "The meat cutter" Musashi and Team "Blissful Chaos" Andromeda would consume us all!

SEGAbits ultra hardcore mode (sorry, i know i'm not helping! Pretty bad at staying on topic myself, just trying to keep this topic on track, otherwise it will end up exactly as you have said :P )
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:43:48 pm by Will »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2013, 02:26:56 am »
If you can run straight to victory with little thought put into it it's a bad level design, simple as. It negates to me any purposeful challenge the level would otherwise have, all the more bizarre considering how easy it is to remove that issue with the stage.

That's still not fair.  This is a speed run where the player has figured out the best route that requires the least amount of jumping, navigating, and spindashing to efficiently receive the fastest time.  Any ordinary player would be confronted with much more if it was their first playthrough.  I know I didn't play nearly this well during my own time at the kiosk.  I'm sure a speed run of the original GHZ would involve a lot of well timed jumps to skip over most of the terrain/obstacles and make it to the goal as hassle free as possible. 

I understand everyone is looking for something different from this franchise.  I wouldn't expect someone who didn't really enjoy colors to enjoy what is effectively "colors 2."  I myself really didn't enjoy the levels from Generations everyone seems to love, namely seaside hill.  I found it to be an awkward mess of homing attack chains and confusing design decisions exacerbated by slippery and imprecise controls. 

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 08:48:54 am »
The level design is personally for me not such an issue. It's true that green hill zone act 1 didn't require more than a couple of jumps either. I'm more worried about the spindash and lack of drawbacks. The spindash has always been overpowered but not like this..

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 10:28:33 am »
The level design is personally for me not such an issue. It's true that green hill zone act 1 didn't require more than a couple of jumps either. I'm more worried about the spindash and lack of drawbacks. The spindash has always been overpowered but not like this..

What bothers you about it?  That if unmolested, it will last forever?  I think it's going to be ridiculously hard to keep yourself in spindash mode given the amount of obstacles we've seen in future levels.  That and it looks less controllable and navigating exclusively in that mode could very well lead to some easy deaths.  I think you'd only want to use it for when you know exactly what you're doing. 

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:29 am »
Basically that it's a slower "boosting" in disguise. It will definitly not that useful if there's alot of walls, hazards and pits this time, but the removal of boost for me was going to be the best thing about this game. I think that expectation is what causes my dissatisfaction. But compared to the boost, this spindash is much better though

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 11:00:01 am »
Basically that it's a slower "boosting" in disguise. It will definitly not that useful if there's alot of walls, hazards and pits this time, but the removal of boost for me was going to be the best thing about this game. I think that expectation is what causes my dissatisfaction. But compared to the boost, this spindash is much better though

sure, but the spin dash has other limitations as well.  You can only use it while on the ground so no more jump boosting all over the level.  Also, it appears the first spin dash does need to be charged a little bit before each use.