Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 101181 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2013, 05:39:29 pm »
Yup, that's the exact opposite of what Sonic Lost World is.

For what it's worth, I don't mind some of the jank in Sonic games too unlike most people.

But whatever, I dont even have a Wii U yet

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »
For me, Colors was far from consistently enjoyable. I grew tired of using the wisps pretty quickly, and was not a fan of the double jump and bad drift mechanics. I also didn't like how some acts were short little 2D puzzles, and it was difficult to remember which were "true" acts and which were the short little fun once then boring the second time around ones. I remedied this with a post-it note of the good acts and stuck it in the instruction book, old school "NOTES" style. I also didn't like Colors recycled bosses and the lack of a Super Sonic boss, though the final boss was enjoyable.

Still, I enjoyed the game and none of the above really stuck with me like the issues in '06 or to a lesser extent Unleashed and Heroes. About on par with SA2's negatives.

Generations was a great game, but I well aware that a lot of that greatness was relying on and referencing past titles. It was nostalgia done right. Had they stripped the game of the references and it was an all new Sonic title with original stages, it probably wouldn't be as good as it was. Sounds shallow of me... but I do think the nostalgia went a long way for Generations and it has yet to age the game or hurt it in my eyes. It's just something I'm well aware of.

Lost World, from what I've seen, looks like a Sonic Colors 2. New gimmicks, new negatives, but overall its looking like a game I'll have fun with. Like most Sonic titles, after the first playthrough I'll go back and just ignore the stuff I didn't like. Hell, I only play the Sonic stages in SA1 nowadays, and the Sonic/Shadow stages in SA2. I'll likely skip the mini-games and boss battles when I return to Lost World for playthroughs. It's looking to have about the amount of returnable content that Colors had. Minus so many color powers and with an improved double jump.

12 more days... :(

Offline Trippled

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2013, 06:15:12 pm »
Well consistently enjoyable was maybe a wrong way to put it. Enjoyable on a certain level, some acts were more enjoyable than others.

Also I'd disagree with SA2's negatives being on par with Colors. For one...Colors has just Sonic stages for one...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »
Am I the only person who thought Colors and Generations were practically 9/10?

Or are the 6/10 and 7/10 a scores based on comparing them to past Sonic games exclusively.

I should elaborate, I prefer using the full 10 point scale and just so you know where I stand, here's how I'd rate the series;

Sonic the Hedgehog: 10/10
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 11/10
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: 6/10
Sonic the Hedgehog 3: 9/10
Sonic & Knuckles: 10/10
Sonic Adventure: 9/10
Sonic Adventure 2: 7/10
Sonic Heroes: 5/10
Sonic Unleashed: 5/10
Sonic Colours: 6/10
Sonic Generations: 8/10

I think Sonic Generations was a good game, but it fell well short of entering greatness levels. There is however, certainly enough there for most platformer fans to get a large dosage of enjoyment from.

Yup. classics destroy mario for sure. Gotta say I agree with all your picks in generations. Thanks for reminding me how awesome rooftop run classic is.

To me its largely due to the level design, sure the Mario games are not bad, but at the end of the day this looks more interesting to me than this.

And yes, there is a lot of good things in Sonic Generations and I'd recommend you try it out again. Sonic Team did try to fix modern Sonic so that those who prefer platforming could enjoy it, wither this be something as him bouncing off walls or just introducing steps where you had to jump (Both simple ideas that somehow was overlooked) it worked. It's a shame that they did not continue their upwards trajectory but whatever, it's not like I lose anything from them under performing.

Hmm... well excuses for sonicteam are really starting to run out imo. Maybe the team working on the other game(generations team) could do a better job... yeah I did it again

It will be interesting to see what they have in store but I'll reserve my judgement until then which I've done with every Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2. Nothing wrong with taking a break, surprised more people don't to be honest.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »

Hmm... well excuses for sonicteam are really starting to run out imo. Maybe the team working on the other game(generations team) could do a better job... yeah I did it again

Iizuka recently confirmed that there is no "other team"

"After the development of “Sonic Colors” ended, a few core members started the experiments for “Sonic Lost World”. And after development of “Sonic Generations” ended, all the members got together and development for “Sonic Lost World” fully started."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/interview_sega_on_bringing_sonic_lost_world_to_wii_u_and_3ds

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »
I'll bite:

Sonic the Hedgehog: 9/10
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 10/10
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: 6/10 (original), 7/10 (HD rerelease)
Sonic & Knuckles: 9/10
Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 10/10
Sonic Adventure: 7.5/10 (but man, those nostalgia goggles make it so good)
Sonic Adventure 2: 8/10
Sonic Unleashed: 6/10
Sonic Colors: 7.5/10

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2013, 08:28:51 pm »
Iizuka recently confirmed that there is no "other team"

"After the development of “Sonic Colors” ended, a few core members started the experiments for “Sonic Lost World”. And after development of “Sonic Generations” ended, all the members got together and development for “Sonic Lost World” fully started."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/interview_sega_on_bringing_sonic_lost_world_to_wii_u_and_3ds

Could also be read as core members of the Sonic Colours team started Lost World, then after completing Generations, the rest of the Colours team moved onto developing the title.

Either way he does not specifically say there is not a second team. Considering the size of Lost World and Sonic Team's last decade or so history, seems more reasonable to assume there is a second team.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2013, 08:53:44 pm »
Could also be read as core members of the Sonic Colours team started Lost World, then after completing Generations, the rest of the Colours team moved onto developing the title.

Either way he does not specifically say there is not a second team. Considering the size of Lost World and Sonic Team's last decade or so history, seems more reasonable to assume there is a second team.

I thought it was pretty explicit.  He said there were two teams and that once generations finished all the members got together to finish SLW.  I don't think there's much room for interpretation there.  If he meant only the colors team moved onto SLW he would have just said that. 

Regardless, why does it matter whether there are two teams?  Is that to support the notion that this was somehow a B team effort?

My line up would be

The Golden Years
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 8/10
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: 8/10
Sonic & Knuckles: 9/10
Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 10/10

The Dark Ages
Sonic Adventure: 6/10
Sonic Adventure 2: 5/10
Shadow : 3/10
06: 0/10
Secret Rings: 5/10
Black Knight: 3/10

The Present
Sonic Unleashed: 5/10
Sonic Colors: 8/10
Sonic Generations: 6/10
SLW: Pending
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:03:35 pm by Radrappy »

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:21 pm »
Based on these videos, I'm seeing that this game has more variety than I anticipated, and might have a little something for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LK8XXS7JkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFtb4wtxjy0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsJscTjTB8#t=118

I'm far from a loyal Sonic fan, but I'm still excited to try this game out. It channels the right parts of Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, which I mostly adore.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »
Oh yeah, forgot:

Shadow the Hedgehog: 3/10
Sonic '06: 0/10

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »
I thought it was pretty explicit.  He said there were two teams and that once generations finished all the members got together to finish SLW.  I don't think there's much room for interpretation there.  If he meant only the colors team moved onto SLW he would have just said that. 

Regardless, why does it matter whether there are two teams?  Is that to support the notion that this was somehow a B team effort?

I am just pointing out SEGA operates with two teams for it's major franchises. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has two (Team #1 did 3, 5 etc, Team #2 Kenzan, Binary Domain etc) and I don't see much reason to believe otherwise with regards to Sonic. If the team was truly that big (Big enough to make two games in two years between them) then we are talking about massive resource mismanagement here and considering the size of the game, I'd rather think he is talking about one team than the whole of Sonic Team.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:00 pm »
I am just pointing out SEGA operates with two teams for it's major franchises. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has two (Team #1 did 3, 5 etc, Team #2 Kenzan, Binary Domain etc) and I don't see much reason to believe otherwise with regards to Sonic. If the team was truly that big (Big enough to make two games in two years between them) then we are talking about massive resource mismanagement here and considering the size of the game, I'd rather think he is talking about one team than the whole of Sonic Team.

That sounds fair to me.  I would like to believe there is a secret amazing game being finalized right now as much as the next guy after all. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LK8XXS7JkA

This looks like excellent fun and kind of the sonic game I've always been hoping for.  Open areas and puzzles to sort out and an entertaining boss fight at the end.  Sometimes I wonder if online video game communities are especially harsh on the franchise because by all accounts so far SLW is a blunder yet these stages look great. 

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:22 am »
Might as well post too:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 9/10
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: 7.5/10 (mobile release)
Sonic & Knuckles: 8.5/10
Sonic 3 & Knuckles: 9/10
Sonic Adventure: 8/10
Sonic Adventure 2: 8/10
Sonic Heroes: 7/10
Sonic Unleashed: 6/10

Offline max_cady

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2013, 03:57:29 am »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2013, 05:53:12 am »
That gamespot video, is the guy intentionally playing like a fucking idiot?