Author Topic: Why does SOJ show Sonic such contempt?  (Read 48953 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Why does SOJ show Sonic such contempt?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:26 am »
As for the pictures you posted, I see you conveniently didn't post the score

Its there mate 'Seven Out Of ten' . Bottom left of the pic . Its quite clear you've never ever read the EDGE review of Sonic Adv II at all  ::) 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:14:00 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 11:39:39 am »

Its there mate 'Seven Out Of ten' . Bottom left of the pic . Its quite clear you've never ever read the EDGE review of Sonic Adv II at all  ::) 

Thanks, but that's the PAGE NUMBER. Page 7 out of 10.

Offline DreamsDied13101

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Dreams Died on 1/31/01
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
This is just getting crazy now!

We all know that Sonic Adventure 2 was originally released for the Nomad with a locked camera because Sega was scared that users would get nauseous if playing 3d games on a handheld. Why most people don't know that it was released for the Nomad was because Sega did a poor job of letting people know that this super powered handheld could do more than just play Genesis titles. Subsequently Sonic Advance 2 was the only true Nomad cartridge released. As you know - not only did it not sell well because it was a sequel to a game that had not yet been made, but also as mentioned above in the thread the game was terrible beyond all comprehension.

So to say that SA2 felt dated the moment it came out it is totally legitimate. The game had been developed for a handheld machine that debuted 4 years earlier.

On a side note the Motorola 68000 is being used to power the PS4 still today. Microsoft dropped the ball when they decided to save money by going with a MOS technology. I've heard that MOS has had problems keeping up with production.

It didn't help that the Euro was established the year the Dreamcast game out either. That led to the rushed production of SA2 because Sega needed to spend through all of their ECU before it was converted to Euros. Why do you think Sega went from an annual net income of 28,017 yen in 1993 to (51,750) yen by 2001? They had spent through all of their money and most of their savings coming up with awesome games that were gobbled up by enthusiasts worldwide (6 billion players registered on the Dreamcast - look up the ads - ads can't lie). They finally ran out of savings to make more games, and all the new earnings from sales were lost when in 2001 when the Geiyo earthquake hit. One of the two people that died during this earthquake was Sega's banker, Kotaro Hayashida. He had all of Sega's earnings with him when the quake hit. The last thing Hayashida was able to do before passing on was play a game of Janken with a bystander that was helping him in his last moments. He wagered all of Sega's money on the game. Hayashida used Guu and the bystander used Paa. The rest is history. That bystander worked for Sony's Playstation division and invested all of the money in to their company giving Sony the lead it still holds today.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:00:04 pm by DreamsDied13101 »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »
Not twisting you were quite clear . Just setting the facts straight that's all . Like I said all along SOJ had a major Sega Saturn Sonic game in development , sadly it got pushed up to Dreamcast development

And development during that late in the game PROVES the point. I never said the game wasn't in existence..i said they had NO INTENTION in doing a proper sonic game which they didn't. Using well they had one in development is like saying well they had SHENMUE in development for Saturn when we all know they didn't come out for that system. SHENMUE has an excuse..Sonic clearly doesn't.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:36 pm »
LOL..

Offline ROJM

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »
Hostile? That's an understatement, they were downright murderous towards Sega. It was an all-out war, not that any FAKERS who weren't around in 1999 would know this. Pfft, nothing personnel kids, but I think you need to realise how malicious magazines were towards Sega back in the halcyon days.

I still recall a particular hatchet piece being written about Sega in Edge Gaming Electronic Magazine by Steve Jarratt in 1999. It was particularly curious, because Steve worked for Sega Power magazine, and that particular publication had gone the way of the dodo two years earlier. He claimed that Sega was directly financing terrorists in Syria through a 'black budget' that was supposedly being used to develop their next 'Killer App' Jack Lumber. The fact that he was right about all this was pure coincidence, his article was nothing but libel (or slander if spoken instead of printed).

It was tough. Really tough. I still remember being at a Sega fan club meeting and Rich Leadbetter (who previously was editor of Sega Saturn Magazine) was in a frenzy. He was calling for Sega fans to raise arms (and in addition, their legs and other peripheral body parts, presumably in a fast and violent manner) against the journalists. I saw a young girl in her twenties who came just to play 'NiGHTS' and ask about a sequel to 'Exhumed' try to run out the back door when Rich was describing his plans for an improvised letter bomb addressed to the office of Famitsu. She made it to the door, only to find it locked and blocked by a burly man wearing a Clockwork Knight T-shirt that was clearly bootlegged, as they mis-spelt the word 'Clock' and it featured a picture of Donkey Kong.

Richard swooped onto her immediately (I mean literally 'swooped' as he was wearing a pair of functioning artificial wings and a jetpack at the time) and when she told him he was going too far, he grabbed her by the arm, pushed her against the wall and said 'we'll never rest until they treat this video game publisher with the respect they deserve'. He produced a razor blade from his pocket and began yelling to everyone about how we we 'don't take one step back!'.
It all got a bit strange, but we ended the night playing Vectorman 4 player mode with multi-taps which was quite fun.

And @TA:

Burnout? I'm glad somebody finally mentioned this. Burnout is what Sonic Adventure 2 was MEANT to be. Trip Hawkins stole the design plans from Sega and EA then made the original Burnout instead. Burnout was intended to be the killer sequel to Sonic Adventure One but because EA no longer had access to the Hedgehog Engine (TM), they couldn't make a game that fast with Hedgehogs. After a long night of brainstorming and the removal of the jump button, they decided to replace the anthropomorphic rodents with... CARS! You can see the similarities in hindsight, even though Sega tried to cover it up at the time of release. If you crack the disc open, you can still find the source code that refers to the cars as 'Hedgehogs' and the remnants of the platforming segments.

Truly a shame that it got scrapped.

As for the pictures you posted, I see you conveniently didn't post the score... Nor did you post the 'post mortem' feature they had in the following issue where they made mention of the tennis segment and showed pictures of the cheques from Sega.

Exactumundo.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:28 pm »
Thanks for the answers guysUsually when games age the way sa2 did then it can be argued that they were never really that great. The game got incredible reviews, but a lot of things felt like a step back from sa1. I remember when we got the game and my brother chose the dark/evil story first. Now imagine anticipating sa2 with all your life and the first things you're forced to do is a lame boss with shadow and then a stage with robotnik. I think I was like 11 and even I was like "wtf is this shit"(lol). But then i definitly enjoyed my time with it , especially when it got re released on the gamecube.

Then i played it the other day and eveyrything just stood out. The lame robotnik vs tails bosses, the bosses in general, the okayish level design, the cheap shots and deaths or  the heavy feel of the characters. And I dont mean pinball physics weight heavy, but they feel like tanks on straight paths unless you spindash. The light weight stuff that was left in sonic adventure 1 which was very reminiscing of sonic's early concepts and most prominintly in the ova was really well captured by sonic adventure 1. Not only by the controls and feel, but also the fantastic level design. Sonic adventure 1 aint the best of games either(full of glitches), but the level design is still really strong, the music also is a lot more varied and inspired than sa2.

No offense brah I know you like sa2 :p. Just for discussion sake and realization that i may have been playing pretty bad 3d sonic games lol. I think we can all at least agree that sonic deserves a much better team. Here have a picture of a deformed president http://38.media.tumblr.com/cfda5838afecf8a5671b3fa45040c658/tumblr_mk359xV7Om1qd09iko2_400.png.

Yeah, I agree with you. The game has not aged well.
But I believe that has more to do with the expectations players had back in 2001 rather than the game sucking ass. It kinda does now, but in the context of it's time it was pretty good. Same with most DC and PS1 games..

Anyone that states the first Tomb Raider is still a fun experience is delusional.
Sure it was great back then, but cmon... today we can clearly see those tits are just a bunch of triangles!
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:23 pm »

The page number is on the bottom right of the page  ::) . The  2 page review  of Sonic Adv II is on pages 094 to 095  . Anyone that reads EDGE knows the early pages of devoted to the news section . So its quite clear not only did you not read the review , you're not an EDGE reader at all . EDGE reviews/Testscreens are always towards the back pages of the magazine . For added irony in the same issue pages 7 to 9 are about SEGA transition to a 3rd party  developer in EDGE's news section

LOL..
So you haven't read the review either ? . Well for the both of you non EDGE readers here's the review of Sonic Adv II in EDGE

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:08:30 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:13 pm »
And development during that late in the game PROVES the point.

What in early 1996 ? . The main Sonic game started life as soon as the Team finished work on NiGHTS . Its not like Mario is always ready to go on Nintendo machines. Mario didn't lauch with the Wii or there was no 3D mario ready to go for the Wii Lauch and SEGA Japan took an age to get Sonic CD ready for the unit .

You love to make out there was no major Sonic game in development for the Saturn, by SOJ. You are were wrong

SHENMUE in development for Saturn when we all know they didn't come out for that system

Shenmue was in advanced state of Saturn development, sadly it too got moved up  .It happens . Now you tried to make out SEGA Japan didn't have a major Sonic game in development for the Saturn, they did .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:25 pm »
The page number is on the bottom right of the page  ::) . The  2 page review  of Sonic Adv II is on pages 094 to 095  . Anyone that reads EDGE knows the early pages of devoted to the news section . So its quite clear not only did you not read the review , you're not an EDGE reader at all . EDGE reviews/Testscreens are always towards the back pages of the magazine . For added irony in the same issue pages 7 to 9 are about SEGA transition to a 3rd party  developer in EDGE's news section

I ask once more, do you have a single fact to back that up? All I see are hastily photoshopped pictures of some rag-mag to try and prove a point. A point that was dulled long ago by the file of TRUTH.

It's clear to everyone who sees this that the 94/95 is the review score for the game. It's a 94 out of 95%, the pages are Page Seven out of Ten, and they didn't do it on the other page because it would be a waste of ink, any bloody fool can tell the opposite page is Page Eight out of Ten.  ::)

It's clear to me you've never worked in the publishing industry kid, did you even know that there's no such thing as White Ink? Or that there is such a thing but it's not effective to use? And rather publications needing to print white on black will actually use black ink to print all AROUND the white text which will just be the white paper showing underneath? I didn't think so...

Regardless, as I said, even if they gave this game a Seven out of Ten (coincidence that it would be on the seventh page too, I've noticed you haven't scanned the phantom 'preview pages' of the magazine either...) then adjusted for seasonal inflation it would be a 9.36/10 in modern review terms. Don't forget Sega was bribing every major magazine and blogger back in those days for review scores. Shenmue getting a 75% in Official Dreamcast Magazine? YEAH RIGHT  ::)  that was Sega paying for a brand new set of kitchen knives me-thinks.

I noticed you didn't even touch my points about the Burnout controversy, afraid you'll get proven wrong again? Heh, to quote Knuckles; 'I finally found you, FAKER!'

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »
Well its clear you're taking the piss , but since we want proof and I could do with a laugh . Where your proof of EDGE giving the score of 9.63 and saying this about Sonic Adv II

[EDGE magazine giving the game a 9.63 out of 10 and stating 'The game is fun and rewarding in it's intricate yet simple gameplay. There is never a dull or not-fun moment. The tennis section... was fun.[

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:30:00 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 06:24:35 pm »
"You thought we could be decent men, in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world are reviews. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair."

No really this thread is cool, I like it. i've learned more through it.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27:41 pm »
"You thought we could be decent men, in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world are reviews. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair."

No really this thread is cool, I like it. i've learned more through it.

If only some people could learn to read reviews properly like MadeManG  ::)

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:38 am »
If only some people could learn to read reviews properly like MadeManG  ::)

Truly the voice of The People
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Sofia888

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 03:16:11 am »
Without a forum crazy person for so long that it was nice to see Mademan's post