Author Topic: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?  (Read 82159 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Splatoon |OT| What is Street Culture?
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2015, 08:00:26 pm »
SEGA always did 'current' style games with their own flavor. Look at Streets of Rage compared to Final Fight, Double Dragon. Look at AM2 racers compared to Namco's racers. Etc. Having Binary Domain is just SEGA continuing the evolution, trying to make a high budget Japanese 3rd person shooter.

I don't know how anyone can hate Cain tho:
https://youtu.be/I11tknXLRiI?t=134

^ Real street culture.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »
Hopefully this puts the whole thing to rest:

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-splatoon-details-development-lack-of-voice-chat-explained-more/

"– A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits"

@ Aki about BD, Gens, Yakuza et al.
I was very clear from the outset that Sega has a number of styles, but that they had one in particular from the early 2000's that Splatoon is very reminiscent of.  Bada bing bada done. 

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2015, 08:06:53 pm »
RGG type game?
Please expand on this because it's piqued my interest.

Overly dramatic, manly manliness, techno music, story twists, arcade-y gameplay, boss fights, even more boss fights, CRAZY BOSS FIGHTS. Something Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio would make.

I was very clear from the outset that Sega has a number of styles, but that they had one in particular from the early 2000's that Splatoon is very reminiscent of.  Bada bing bada done. 

You mean Sonic Team since Virtual On, Virtua Tennis, Rez, Skies of Arcadia, Sakura Taisen, The House of the Dead, Cosmic Smash, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, 18 Wheeler Pro Tucker, Confidential Mission and whatever I forget don't fit this style 8- D

Cause I can't stop you think it's a Sonic Team type game if you want, but that's about it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2015, 08:07:15 pm »
Hopefully this puts the whole thing to rest:

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-splatoon-details-development-lack-of-voice-chat-explained-more/

"– A lot of the designers on the team are in their 30s, so the 90s style with street fashion and trainers is a big inspiration for the outfits"

Radrappy to Segabits:
GG, no re

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:27 pm »
Overly dramatic, manly manliness, techno music, story twists, arcade-y gameplay, boss fights, even more boss fights, CRAZY BOSS FIGHTS. Something Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio would make.

I'll give you the bad soap opera story (Why the fuck did nobody notice a high ranking white house member wasn't a goddamn fucking robot allt hat time? He never had to go through a metal detector? never had to get a medical screening for being the MILITARY?)

Crazy boss fights, hmm yeah, I guess they were a different kind of crazy though.

Gameplay Ifelt was nothing similar to RGG, but I'll dig it.

Offline George

« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2015, 08:10:47 pm »
Street fashion =/= street culture. Street culture is gang related, spray painting and break dancing sorta stuff. This is like a kids version of 'street culture'.

Splatoon is a OK game, I dunno why you have to pretend its a SEGA game when it isn't. So, I was right when I said the game is trying to be a late 90's style Japanese game. Where did it say 'SEGA' in their response?

As for not voice chat, again lol.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »
Isn't fashion part of culture though?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2015, 08:13:14 pm »
Gameplay Ifelt was nothing similar to RGG, but I'll dig it.

The gameplay was basically don't give a fuck, nothing can hurt you. Not even that gorilla. (Dan can take a lot of punishment without dying, pretty forgiving for a third person shooter)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »
The gameplay was basically don't give a fuck, nothing can hurt you. Not even that gorilla. (Dan can take a lot of punishment without dying, pretty forgiving for a third person shooter)

If Binary Domain had heat moves I think I would have liked it more.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2015, 08:15:55 pm »

You mean Sonic Team since Virtual On, Virtua Tennis, Rez, Skies of Arcadia, Sakura Taisen, The House of the Dead, Cosmic Smash, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, 18 Wheeler Pro Tucker, Confidential Mission and whatever I forget don't fit this style 8- D

Cause I can't stop you think it's a Sonic Team type game if you want, but that's about it.

I'll compromise and say it looks like a Sonic Team game if you want.  Though that ignores the game it looks like the most, Jet Grind Radio.

Street fashion =/= street culture. Street culture is gang related, spray painting and break dancing sorta stuff. This is like a kids version of 'street culture'.

Splatoon is a OK game, I dunno why you have to pretend its a SEGA game when it isn't. So, I was right when I said the game is trying to be a late 90's style Japanese game. Where did it say 'SEGA' in their response?

As for not voice chat, again lol.

Nice job moving the goal post.  Street fashion is a big part of its DNA and Graffiti-like elements are what the core gameplay is based around.  I never said it WAS a Sega game, just that it feels more like one than any Sega game in years. 

As for voice chat, yes the game should have probably included it. 

Offline George

« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2015, 08:20:43 pm »
Sounds "rad" bro, I mean, using a similar style that Jet Set Radio did in 2001 and making less of a message by making it 'kiddy', is what Nintendo does best, not to mention being behind the times which this whole game proves that Nintendo still doesn't understand how online is suppose to work. But hey, if you like it, great. I agree its a 90's style game that has been processed through Nintendo's family friendly image.

A less rebellious version of Jet Set Radio (take away cops, tagging and all the edge they did in 2001, add 'Squid kids). If that is what you like, along with missing futures, then its cool. Don't get mad when not everyone is into that.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2015, 08:25:47 pm »
I'll compromise and say it looks like a Sonic Team game if you want.  Though that ignores the game it looks like the most, Jet Grind Radio.

It looks nothing like Jet Set Radio or feel, one has you spreading graffiti through town, the other has you blasting paint through the town.

It'd be like comparing Hitman to Call of Duty.

Splatoon is Splatoon.

Nice job moving the goal post.  Street fashion is a big part of its DNA and Graffiti-like elements are what the core gameplay is based around.  I never said it WAS a Sega game, just that it feels more like one than any Sega game in years. 

But you said decade...

You guys are going to chew my head off for this but after playing Splatoon for about an hour I can safely say this game feels more like a Sega game than anything Sega has released in the past decade.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2015, 08:31:28 pm »
^I think he was exaggerating with the decade thing to be fair.
It does seem more Sega-like than Company of Football Manager: Attila though. Or maybe it isn't. I don't  even know anymore.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
^I think he was exaggerating with the decade thing to be fair.
It does seem more Sega-like than Company of Football Manager: Attila though. Or maybe it isn't. I don't  even know anymore.

But what about Persona than Mang?

And Catherine too. Now that the Shining series has become SEGA's premier dating service, doesn't that make Catherine SEGA LIKE DNA TOO. Mang? MANG? MAAAAAAAAAAANG?!?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2015, 08:35:20 pm »
But what about Persona than Mang?

And Catherine too. Now that the Shining series has become SEGA's premier dating service, doesn't that make Catherine SEGA LIKE DNA TOO. Mang? MANG? MAAAAAAAAAAANG?!?

I don't know anything about the Purse Owner series other than the fact I don't really like the fighting game spin off.

Catherine is Sega DNA, always has been. Never disputed that.

Also this game: