Author Topic: Why wasn't SEGA as influential as they could've been during their glory days?  (Read 36859 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Why SEGA wasn't really so influential even during their glory days.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:54 pm »
Also, a lot of people say that SEGA dominates the Arcade market.....yet I'm seeing Namco doing higher than SEGA.

Namco are big in the arcade scene too, but I think SEGA owns 60% of the arcades in Japan, they have a huge presents.
Made by SEGA

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »
Cause they've always been absolute terrible at communication and they've become exponentially worse at marketing along the years, especially nowadays.

If Sega actually made the effort of selling Yu Suzuki's feats in video development pioneering, for one, he'd be as iconic and well off as Miyamoto nowadays.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
I'm not talking about price fixing, everyone bloody price fixes. I'm talking about Nintendo would bully toy/retail stores into not stocking SEGA products or they would pull out of that retailer completely. As SEGA was up and coming and Nintendo had no real competition at the time with a 90% market share many stores simply wouldn't stock SEGA products out of fear.
[/color]

LOL Price fixing is a terrible crime and no not everybody does it all all . Also SEGA wouldn' let retailers stock the Mega Drive unless they also agreed to stock the Game Gear. played hardball with the likes of Blockbuster and also one stage stopped game review code being sent out to the press and instead would only allow game review code to be played in SEGA Europe HQ . Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo only had 90% of the market in Japan (but I could be wrong)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 04:15:40 pm »
SEGA has never refuse to give review codes and even Jim Sterling mentioned in the video that even tho he shit on SEGA games (during a Konami video) they never refused to give him codes either. So I don't know where you heard about them not allowing people to review games outside of their HQ.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 06:01:27 am »
SEGA has never refuse to give review codes and even Jim Sterling mentioned in the video that even tho he shit on SEGA games

I'll think you find that SEGA Europe stopped game code being sent out and how all SEGA reviews by the press for SEGA game had to be done in SEGA Europe HQ with SEGA staff checking the reviews . It sparked a huge outcry from the UK SEGA gaming press  and was swiftly dropped . Also I thought it was madness on SEGA Europe part to try and ban Import shops from being able to sell offcial Pal DC .

When importers was doing more to sell and show off the DC, than that baboon in charge of SEGA Europe was at the time

« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:05:32 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:47 pm »
The title of this thread is misleading.

What you seem to be asking is "Why are sega games generally ignored at release?" or "Why do they not win awards?"

It is obvious that Sega's game history has been massively influential to other games throughout gaming history. You'd have to be pretty cut off from Sega's work to not see how it has influenced gaming.

To address what you actually are asking, I would say that your opinion is limited to the NA viewpoint, where either you have the old guard that has to put Sega down since they were the enemy to their first love (Nintendo), or you have the new school which never knew Sega in its heyday. In JP and EUR, Sega is constantly recognized.

This is very good to hear.  For Japan I guess it's out of basic honor and respect, and Europe for that and b/c I remember Master System and MegaDrive selling very well there.

Oh, and hello everyone.  I'm new here, but hope to be among fellows :)  I wanted to find a Sega-dedicated forum on the net and I've enjoyed lurking around every now and again x3.  So being it's a new year I figure it was a good time to actually register.

This thread drew my attention in particular b/c (and well just a brief bit about myself) I actually post on NeoGAF under the username 'jhmjtehgamer20xx', and someone made a thread there a few days ago about a new generation of gamers not being able to experience enjoying a new Sega console.  And there were some good posts in there absolutely, but there were also some REALLY IGNORANT and offensive posts as well that imho exemplified the worst type of revisionists history and belittling I've ever witnessed befall an iconic game developer in, well, ever.  Not here to trash GAF in itself, but that thread did make me realize that it isn't nearly as pro-Sega as I thought it was.  It's kind of sad in a way, b/c it could be more pro-Sega while still being the pro-Nintendo it most obviously is, but for some reason that's not the way.

I've tried my best to try and educate posters there on the error of their thinking, and hopefully reached through to some of them, but it's brutal to go through that kind of stuff.  I think there is a way we can discuss Sega's past (including the bad and how that hurt them) while still being 100% respectful and appreciating the massive amount of good they bought to the industry, and without having to bad-mouth other companies while doing so.

So uh, yeah, hello xD.  Sorry if this was kind of a jumbled mess of a post, but yeah I'm pretty passionate for the company that got me started in gaming.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:10 pm »
Hello and welcome. Find a nice Avatar.

Offline segababy88baby

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 07:56:13 pm »
Lol yes, I shall.  And thanks  :)

Offline Sharky

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum SEGABaby, hope you enjoy your stay.

I saw the thread you're mentioning on Neogaf, (I don't post but I lurk from time to time.) it's unfortunate that people can get away with talking smack about SEGA that they'd never get away with about almost any other company.. I see a lot of drive-by shit posting in SEGA threads not just on Neogaf. It's so common that has become the norm.

The console bashing doesn't bother me because I suspect its largely based on peoples experience and memories with the consoles. The only thing that especially bothers me is the 'SEGA haven't made a good games since X' usually since the Dreamcast, which, regardless of personal taste is absolute hot garbage. This is the reason we started the 'Good SEGA Games' threads (Stickied at the top of this forum.)
Made by SEGA

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 10:28:13 pm »
I kind of blame the fact SEGA (at least the American and European division) banks heavily on Sonic, and since the games tend to suffer from mediocre to terrible reception, it gives people the false impression that the company is full of talentless hacks. Games like Aliens: Colonial Marines also didn't help.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 03:59:48 am »
but there were also some REALLY IGNORANT and offensive posts as well that imho exemplified the worst type of revisionists history and belittling I've ever witnessed befall an iconic game develope

Its turned into a bit of SONY fanboy central of late sadly.

I kind of blame the fact SEGA (at least the American and European division) banks heavily on Sonic

SEGA has whole does really . But at least it looks like SEGA giving the team more than enough development time for a change. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sharky

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 06:12:15 am »
I kind of blame the fact SEGA (at least the American and European division) banks heavily on Sonic, and since the games tend to suffer from mediocre to terrible reception, it gives people the false impression that the company is full of talentless hacks. Games like Aliens: Colonial Marines also didn't help.

I agree and have said this in the past, the moment Sonic starts to do well, SEGA's whole image will turn around. It sucks but it's just the way it is.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:11 am »
I agree and have said this in the past, the moment Sonic starts to do well

Its more than Sonic sadly and even when we get good Sonic games SEGA and the Sonic games get bashed . Sonic Colours and Sonic Gen were really really good and well made games, but hey because its SEGA and Sonic its cool to bash it, the same is now true of all COD games and any Assassins Creed game too

SEGA needs to up its game on all formats and keep it going year in and out . SEGA like of late are so up and down .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 10:41:10 am »
I don't think SEGA have a bad reputation to be honest. In terms of third party, they're clearly one of the better ones if you think about it. EA constantly try to squeeze money out of players with micro transactions, pre order bonuses and DLC and have some bad anti consumer-like ideas. Activision, ubi, Konami and Warner Bros aren't that far behind either.

Apart from 3 terrible games (boom, 06, A:CM), SEGA haven't been that bad really. I think the problem SEGA have is more the general consensus of them is just "okay". Nothing more, nothing less.

The only other thing I could see them as is a bit clumsy at times. Releasing RoF on the same day as Final Fantasy was a real face palm moment. There's still a lot of communication issues between SoE, SoA and SoJ too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:12:12 am by Tad »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2016, 11:50:48 am »
  This is very good to hear.  For Japan I guess it's out of basic honor and respect, and Europe for that and b/c I remember Master System and MegaDrive selling very well there.

Oh, and hello everyone.  I'm new here, but hope to be among fellows :)  I wanted to find a Sega-dedicated forum on the net and I've enjoyed lurking around every now and again x3.  So being it's a new year I figure it was a good time to actually register.

This thread drew my attention in particular b/c (and well just a brief bit about myself) I actually post on NeoGAF under the username 'jhmjtehgamer20xx', and someone made a thread there a few days ago about a new generation of gamers not being able to experience enjoying a new Sega console.  And there were some good posts in there absolutely, but there were also some REALLY IGNORANT and offensive posts as well that imho exemplified the worst type of revisionists history and belittling I've ever witnessed befall an iconic game developer in, well, ever.  Not here to trash GAF in itself, but that thread did make me realize that it isn't nearly as pro-Sega as I thought it was.  It's kind of sad in a way, b/c it could be more pro-Sega while still being the pro-Nintendo it most obviously is, but for some reason that's not the way.

I've tried my best to try and educate posters there on the error of their thinking, and hopefully reached through to some of them, but it's brutal to go through that kind of stuff.  I think there is a way we can discuss Sega's past (including the bad and how that hurt them) while still being 100% respectful and appreciating the massive amount of good they bought to the industry, and without having to bad-mouth other companies while doing so.

So uh, yeah, hello xD.  Sorry if this was kind of a jumbled mess of a post, but yeah I'm pretty passionate for the company that got me started in gaming.

Hello and welcome.

I don't actually read NeoGAF anymore after reading some of the more "controversial" stuff that happens behind the scenes there, although of course there are some good people there like in any forum, I just avoid bias of any nature now.

As for SEGA, I can't say that I have left with a bad experience from them (even the "bad" games have some entertainment from me and I respect the developers to the point that everyone has a bad day, month, year etc).

I am as critical of them as any other company, but I support them because they make games I enjoy, and that's what matters (I don't think SEGA even do DLC in the wrong way personally, compared to the likes of Ubi, EA and yes, even Nintendo).

And yeah Tad, that part about RoF going up against FF XIII was a mistake, but surely it's up to gamers to decide whether they want to try something different or carry on playing Final Fantasy (I bought both and enjoyed them both to 100% completion).

I think SEGA should innovate in their business structure. Since most of the business practices (not things like sales, but how you run the day to day aspects), in Japan seem stale and unproductive (at least to me). If they can find a way to provide a good structure to create a output of good games, small projects and perhaps even time to advertise globally, then I am sure they will be recognised for the respect they need.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.