Author Topic: Why wasn't SEGA as influential as they could've been during their glory days?  (Read 37042 times)

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
  Especially Metroid.  That series is ripe for some goodness.  Sci-fi's pretty strong again in mainstream film, there's a new Alien film coming (hopefully) soon, and the Prime games were very well received (only played a little of the first one myself sadly, but it was fun for what I got out of it).  It's crazy how Other M seems like it was such a death nail to the franchise; why can Mario get away with a few subpar games and keep going but Metroid gets one true dud in its history and put it back in the freezer?

Not exactly. Metroid always had very big intervals between games because it was always a series Nintendo had troubles nailing before hitting full development phase. That's why we never had a Metroid 64. And why we still don't have any decent news about it after Other M. And really, Other M is an irredeemable pile of shit that's sticks out like a sore thumb in such a stellar series. And also because they don't won't what will stick more. Classic Metroid or Metroid Prime.

And Mario, at least 3D Mario, never really had subpar games.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:32:51 am by Phantasos »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
I'd say Mario Sunshine was a subpar 3D Mario game. I also found 3D World to be a bit disappointing, if only because it felt smaller and not very innovative compared to past titles like Galaxy.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
SMW3D to me really felt like they had just realised they needed a Mario game on their system, so they used an idea from a 3DS game.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Resident of Puyo Hell
And Mario, at least 3D Mario, never really had subpar games.
I would argue the Mario games being released recently are pretty underwhelming. They feel oddly rushed, like they were pushed out as a desperate attempt to make a quick profit and boost hardware sales.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Oh, the 2D Mario titles since 2006's New Super Mario Bros. have been underwhelming in my opinion. Same ol' same ol'. The only real things differentiating them are a few new enemies and some new gimmicks. They're built well and play well, but when I was playing NSMB2 on 3DS it just felt like I was playing NSMB1, NSMBWii and NSMBU.

The one recent Mario game that I loved was Super Mario 3D Land.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
I think Sonic Generations was the only good Sonic game since the SEGA consoles. If SEGA could just focus on their other titles, then they would probably make more money. Who else is tired of that cheesy blue porcupine?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Was Sonic Colors not a good game? Did I miss something? What about Sonic Advance series?

Offline Tad

Was Sonic Colors not a good game? Did I miss something? What about Sonic Advance series?

People seem to love rewriting history with the adventure games. Yes, they've aged horribly and wouldn't be up to scratch for today, but back then they reviewed well and apart from some complaints, the general consensus was they were good fun.

Colours was perhaps not a 9/10, but it certainly was a step in the right direction for the Sonic franchise.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:08:49 am by Tad »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
I think Sonic Generations was the only good Sonic game since the SEGA consoles. If SEGA could just focus on their other titles, then they would probably make more money. Who else is tired of that cheesy blue porcupine?

Sonic Rush, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations are all excellent. The three Sonic Advance games are good too.
Made by SEGA

Offline Phantasos

I'd say Mario Sunshine was a subpar 3D Mario game. I also found 3D World to be a bit disappointing, if only because it felt smaller and not very innovative compared to past titles like Galaxy.

Hum...Sunshine was pretty underwhelming, that's true. Kinda erased that one from my head although it's still a pretty damn good platformer overall, it really shines in certain parts but the whole goo thing, water mechanics and odd focus on plot dumb it down. Don't really agree with 3D World because that game is ridiculously packed with content, like all 3d Marios are. When it comes to small and disappointing, you just have to look at the "New" Mario series, it's a subseries composed of basically the same game since it always sold much more than the 3D Mario games for some strange reason. It seems they finally slowed down with those releases though.

SMW3D to me really felt like they had just realised they needed a Mario game on their system, so they used an idea from a 3DS game.

I assume that idea was making the title 3D "Land" to "World" because the games are, no pun intended, worlds apart.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 08:31:03 am by Phantasos »

Offline FlareHabanero

• Resident of Puyo Hell
When is the "Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are good games" meme gonna stop? Because seriously I don't get why people swear on it.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Historically, main console Mario are Mario World games, portable Mario is Mario Land series.
SEG4GES

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
When is the "Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are good games" meme gonna stop? Because seriously I don't get why people swear on it.

Just about all the discussions and reactions centering Sonic kinda bothers me in general.  It's more fun just playing his games without a care that somebody out there rages that Sonic has friends or that the game doesn't play like their precious favorite.

Basically, the battered platforming star that Sonic became gets largely exaggerated and there is only so much talking about the series as a kusoge can actually allow.

Offline Tad

Just a thought, bare with me here, maybe. Just maybe, they are?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
How are positive opinions and review scores a meme?