Author Topic: Why Phantasy Star V can't happen?  (Read 11850 times)

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
Why Phantasy Star V can't happen?
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:10:09 am »
After beating Phantasy Star IV, I just can't understand why on earth Phantasy Star V cannot happen or even more of that. The ending reveals so many possibilities for Phantasy Star V to happen? Is it because Phantasy Star IV didn't sell that well for the Genesis that they decided to end it? Or is it because it literally sums up the whole story?
If its the latter, Its done in such a way that Phantasy Star V can happen. Never has it concluded the whole thing nor have they made it so that V can't happen. Its for that reason that I'm a bit disappointed about the ending of IV. I thought it was suppose to sum up the entire thing.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Why Phantasy Star V can't happen?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »
May be because in Japan there's no Phantasy Star IV.
There's only "Phantasy Star: Sennenki no Owari ni".

SEGA of America (& Europe)
rename it to Phantasy Star IV when they localized it for the western version.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:09:34 pm »
The thing is, for better or worse in 95% of cases SEGA are a company that seem to run with a series for a few years and then eventually move on. While it sucks we might never get Phantasy Star V.... It's also the main reason SEGA has made so, so many great IP's. If they hadn't moved on and continued making Phantasy Star forever we may never have got so many other great games... Skies of Arcadia for one. (My favourite RPG of all time.)
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:38:12 am »
Plus there is the Online and Universe sagas, so it's not like the lore isn't evolving.
SEG4GES

Offline Artwark

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:20:38 pm »
The thing is, for better or worse in 95% of cases SEGA are a company that seem to run with a series for a few years and then eventually move on. While it sucks we might never get Phantasy Star V.... It's also the main reason SEGA has made so, so many great IP's. If they hadn't moved on and continued making Phantasy Star forever we may never have got so many other great games... Skies of Arcadia for one. (My favourite RPG of all time.)

Oh so making Sonic games doesn't seem endless but making Phantasy Star does?

Look, new IPs don't tend to do so well unless if done right. Chronicles right now is becoming an old IP for SEGA so does that mean that we can't get more of those games? The sheer stupidity that the sequels were released on PSP instead of Steam is what cause the sales to go down.

I love the world of Phantasy Star and honestly, SEGA should simply bring back all their old IPs instead of bringing in new ones. What good will a new IP do if its more of a gamble to sell them?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:11 pm »
At SEGA (at least in Japan), I think they have a lot of respect for IP creators. So if the creator of an IP wants to keep releasing titles, and they are successful, SEGA allows it. But if a creator leaves or wants to try something else, SEGA also seems to allow it. This is great for the men and women internally, as their work is being respected and not milked. But on the negative side, fans will bemoan SEGA for not releasing another game in the series.

It should also be noted that the RPG market is oversaturated and something like another offline Phantasy Star game in 2016 just wouldn't have the same impact as it would in the late 90s. At least Phantasy Star is living on in the recent releases (despite the lack of US release).

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
Is the RPG market really that saturated these days? back in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s I could see that, but from what I perceived, people seem to want a bit more RPGs, on consoles anyways.

I think it would be great to have another Phantasy Star sequel in the vein of the older games (or at least a style change), I'd welcome it and think it could work if done correctly, but everything in that regard falls on SEGA.  IF they ever do decided to go that route, I believe it might be possible, I think the biggest hurdle might be getting people (at least in markets like the US/EU) reacquainted with the franchise.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 06:09:09 pm »
At SEGA (at least in Japan), I think they have a lot of respect for IP creators. So if the creator of an IP wants to keep releasing titles, and they are successful, SEGA allows it. But if a creator leaves or wants to try something else, SEGA also seems to allow it. This is great for the men and women internally, as their work is being respected and not milked. But on the negative side, fans will bemoan SEGA for not releasing another game in the series.

It should also be noted that the RPG market is oversaturated and something like another offline Phantasy Star game in 2016 just wouldn't have the same impact as it would in the late 90s. At least Phantasy Star is living on in the recent releases (despite the lack of US release).

I got some news for ya. SEGA desperately needs to compete with the likes of other devs out there if they want to not only matter in the western market but to like literally bring back their glory days. I get it ok? SEGA would just rather be fine in the arcade market along with the devs that it now owns. But seriously, do we really want SEGA to ignore us? Do we really want them leaving us?

The disadvantage that Dragon Quest has is that all their games aren't localized in the west. Just imagine, what the Phantasy Star can do for an impact? It sells big in US and SE has to force themselves to localize all their games to the west thanks to SEGA. Don't we want them rivaling other devs? Don't we want them to be back to their glory days?

Is the RPG market really that saturated these days? back in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s I could see that, but from what I perceived, people seem to want a bit more RPGs, on consoles anyways.

I think it would be great to have another Phantasy Star sequel in the vein of the older games (or at least a style change), I'd welcome it and think it could work if done correctly, but everything in that regard falls on SEGA.  IF they ever do decided to go that route, I believe it might be possible, I think the biggest hurdle might be getting people (at least in markets like the US/EU) reacquainted with the franchise.

Its really not that hard when you think about it. They have the devs behind Phantasy Star Online 2 so they can easily make use of their talent to make another turn based game.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:39 pm »

Oh so making Sonic games doesn't seem endless but making Phantasy Star does?

Look, new IPs don't tend to do so well unless if done right. Chronicles right now is becoming an old IP for SEGA so does that mean that we can't get more of those games? The sheer stupidity that the sequels were released on PSP instead of Steam is what cause the sales to go down.

I love the world of Phantasy Star and honestly, SEGA should simply bring back all their old IPs instead of bringing in new ones. What good will a new IP do if its more of a gamble to sell them?

Not sure what you're getting snappy about, I'm just telling you the facts. SEGA are historically a company that make an IP use it for a while and then move on or as Barry says if the creator wants to do something new they are allowed too. It has its pros and its cons... But I've been dealing with it for near 25 years now.

There are other Phantasy Star games out there, not the same of course. the PSO series and Phantasy Star Nova for PSP. There was one on the DS as well if I remember correctly. 'Phantasy Star Zero.'

As for Sonic... Sonic is SEGA's flagship IP and their mascot. It's like asking why Nintendo keep making Mario games but not Golden Sun.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:46:44 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 04:06:14 am »
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution
Phantasy Star Online Episode IV: Blue Burst
Phantasy Star Online 2
Phantasy Star Universe
Phantasy Star Portable I & II
Phantasy Star Zero
Phantasy Star Nova

If the naming scheme was like Final Fantasy, we'd be up to at least Phantasy Star XIII.
Yes, I would like a more traditional styled Phantasy Star to come out. But it's not like it's a dead franchise.

I worry much more about Jet Set Radio and Nights
SEG4GES

Offline allenpergallon

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 11:17:29 am »
With all of the fives in recent memory (GTA V, MGS V, Star Ocean 5, FFXV, Persona 5, etc.) I have been wondering on and off about ever seeing a Phantasy Star V in the original style updated for the modern age. It'd be nice, but as said before me Phantasy Star is far from dead and is finding much success in its current format.

Though to be honest, if it did happen it would be pretty neat to see how it differentiates itself in the current market. I'd love to see if it would bring back more classical JRPG conventions or adopt the more action-oriented and linear design of modern titles. I think the former could serve the market pretty well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:20:46 am by allenpergallon »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »
First thing they'd do is drop the numbers and just stick with "Phantasy Star: Subtitle". I also cannot see the old style translating to consoles unless it is a digital title or if they go the handheld route.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:58 pm »
If they bring back the old style (single player, party-based jrpg) it shouldn't be top down 2D. They should go for something like the new Star Ocean (Which is kind of a Phantasy Star ripoff anyways). The new Star Ocean looks to have the right balance between Old and New in terms of gameplay.

I know I keep going on and on about this, but if you really want a modern day/old school Phantasy Star experience, 7th Dragon's pretty much it. Top down exploration, same battle system perspective (I hate that side-view shit), same hunter missions, same creator, awesome music, many of the same themes. Just dive in man.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:39 pm »
^True, 7th Dragon is coming West it's by some of the same creators has a very similar style and it's supposed to be pretty brilliant. Oh and good music as per usual.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 11:04:59 pm »
Here is the issue with bringing back games that haven't had a new entry: Expectations. This is a lose/lose situation. You either make the game like the last 4 (and honestly they have all been very different in their own ways) with traditional combat and stuff, make a few retro fanboys happen and have the game fail.

You can bring the game back and try to get a new audience. Maybe new gameplay. Sadly the thing is, they already accomplished this with the Online series.

Personally, just stick with the online and let the older games rest. Its not going to work out either way and just piss off fans. If they do, don't call it V, its a mistake. Just Phantasy Star: Subtitle

Though SEGA did try a single player focused (with local co-op) Vita game with Phantasy Star Nova and it was a  failure in Japan. Thought it was more of a entry into the PSO and not so much an RPG like you are looking for.

Personally rather SEGA have their hand at a big sci-fi console JRPG based on a new IP that way they don't have rules and shit holding them back. Its like saying in the Dreamcast era "don't make Skies of Arcadia!!!! WE GOT PHANTASY STAR!!!"

I think as long as the game is done right and its amazing, we will be happy. Doesn't have to be a brand name imo.