Author Topic: Why Phantasy Star V can't happen?  (Read 11848 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Why Phantasy Star V can't happen?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:21 pm »
Maybe they just decided that the online format suits the IP bettrr. Phantasy star online got universal praise and good reception. The reviews were incredibly high for that game at the time. I feel it must have influenced their decisions a lot.  Having said that, I wouldnt say no to a psV of course. Would be great

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 04:54:46 pm »
I have a feeling that 7th Dragon might fill in the void for a more traditional RPG for now on, not even counting the RPG's produced by Atlus. So it's not like they're desperate to fill in the niche by returning Phantasy Star to it's roots. Even if they did have the urge to make a classic style Phantasy Star, they'd have to spend quite a bit planning to see if it would be worth it or not.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 03:47:25 am »
Must I remember critics of the Online games that Phantasy Star Online had more hype surrounding it than Final Fantasy X?
The fall of the Dreamcast made the series look weaker than it really is.
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 04:21:54 am »
It might be Artwarks lucky day, considering the new Megadrive Hub for steam supporting rom hacks I could imagine some people creating new Phantasy Star senerios in the future... Hopefully.
Made by SEGA

Offline parallaxscroll

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 12:26:56 pm »
Well, at some point in 1992, Phantasy Star IV was going to be a completely different game than it turned out to be.

Phantasy Star IV: The Return of Alis - It seemed to be a different story.  Interestingly, there were two versions of it planned, a 12 megabit cartridge and a CD version.

Look at the third page (GamePro magazine July '92)

http://www.ign.com/games/phantasy-star-iv-the-return-of-alis/sega-cd-816198

Then also in 1992, Sega showed characters and story scenes for, not Return of Alis on CD-ROM or cart, but the Phantasy Star that would later be titled End of the Millennium.

The Phantasy Star Compendium book also mentions (IIRC) Phantasy Star IV starting out on CD, but production was canceled.

So, what about a Phantasy Star V ?  Well, Sega probably has plenty of material to work with, though I just don't see it happening with how Sega is, presently, as a company.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:28:31 pm by parallaxscroll »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 03:53:41 pm »
Its not going to happen. Its just SEGA asking "do you want to lose money and have everyone hate you?"

First of all, the series did well enough for a 16-bit RPG. But now with the cost of games? Probably not that possible to break even for a fullscale budget. So, you can take a hit on this I guess.

What about gameplay? Right now the big thing is everyone turning franchises from turnbase to real time. Wouldn't that sorta just be something that PSO already did? If you keep it the same, will that even turn new people on? Should you  make it like the first game? Second? 3rd? Fourth? There all very different and its hard to please fans of any of those titles.

Its just not worth it. I rather see them either make a brand new title in the universe, instead of using a new entry and disappointing everyone.