Author Topic: Sonic 2 fan remix.  (Read 20395 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Sonic 2 fan remix.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
But Sonic Unleashed was terrible!
Sonic gameplay was fun, but the decision to put a (playable) Werehog undermined the whole game.

WILL YOU STOP WHINING PLEASE!?

Jeez, the Were-Hog is a natural progression of the series, just like the Spin-Dash in sonic 2 or shields from Sonic 3. Just because you have NOSTALGIA in your bottom means that you instantly hate any change. If Sonic 2 came out today the different special stages would be called 'enourmous wank bullshit' and people would hate the game.

:afroman:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »
Wow, there's ppl that actually defends the werehog?
In my opinion, the werehog isn't bad because it's different, it's bad because it's boring, because of the slow paced repetitive brawling, because of the long stages, and because it doesn't fit in the Sonic franchise, a franchise mostly known for its speedy gameplay.

And no, it's not the "natural progression" of the series. Spin dash, power-up shields, even the wisps in Colors, those are things that added something to the core gameplay. The werehog didn't.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »
@ezodagrom
The werehog itself wasn't bad. The problem was implementation and design.

Also, touche Mademan.. touche..
SEG4GES

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:05 am »
Quote from: "ezodagrom"
Wow, there's ppl that actually defends the werehog?
In my opinion, the werehog isn't bad because it's different, it's bad because it's boring, because of the slow paced repetitive brawling, because of the long stages, and because it doesn't fit in the Sonic franchise, a franchise mostly known for its speedy gameplay.
You kind of missed the sarcasm in MadeMan's post. =P

I'm also one of those people who didn't mind the werehog thing. ^^ At least, not as much as I initially thought I would.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
You kind of missed the sarcasm in MadeMan's post.

He was talking about my comments on the Werehog.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »
Some new screens have shown up.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DeoxysPr ... act101.jpg
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/DeoxysPr ... act202.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/1499/act302.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3754/sfrb2.jpg

And some info. A quote from the maker.

My goal is to have zones from Sonic 1-3, this demo however will cosist of three Emerald hill acts, the first one you have already seen and it's very close to the original, Acts 2 and 3 do more justice to the "remix" in the title, they have quite a diferent layout and one is in the rain and the other at night

Demo will be available upcoming week

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 05:27:35 pm »
I like the character model and that's about it... Everything else looks hideous and completely unsonic.

The whole grimy look almost looks as though it's straight out of the Unreal engine.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »
New video of act 3 (night stage).

[youtube:1ic75fl6]QeVa1oeif0s[/youtube:1ic75fl6]

This is as i've gathered still the beta testing version uploaded by a betatester. Some things may still be fixed.

But man, i'm loving it so much. They are even making their own music andit sounds so great. The music sounds as if it has always been there in the originals, that's how natural it sounds to me imo.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »
Looks shit.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:26 pm »
I'm also not a fan, mainly because it looks so unlike Sonic. More like a cross between Rayman 1 and Lisa Frank. What I'd love to see is a super detailed sprite-based Sonic fan game. I'm talkin' Marvel v. Capcom 2 kinds of detail with the Sonic OVA anime style.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:05 pm »
Ah come on guys, at least the physics are good right? I mean visuals are important but what about the spot on gameplay :(. I don't see automated speed boosters that turn sonic into spin just to kill 2 redundant enemies in the way. Yeah I am kind of relating this to sonic 4 because you guys like that game while it has flaws like stiff animations and mid air stops, no inertia and uncurling.

Where's the praise for little touches like the lanterns on enemies, the ring glow effects when sonic loses them or the running animation looking great in a 3d sonic  game compared to the pasted circle wheel over the regular animation in s4e1.

Ah well, this is just my opinion. But I find it weird how you can praise s4e1 and hate this as someone that loves the classic gameplay style.

Hate or love the visuals, but the gameplay is good. Gameplay > visuals for me but as the  visuals are i'm okay with them.

TL;DR It looks awesome, end off  :afroman:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:18:40 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
The colour palette feels off but I like some of the touches like the plants growing on the the platforms or the backgrounds. The gameplay looks humorously fine.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »
I can't really comment on the physics until I've played it myself, so as of now it's the visuals and animations that I think I can have a more reliable opinion on. Running itself looks quite good, though I can't say I've ever been a fan of the mid-air running. It always looked too wacky for me. As for the little touches, while some of them are nice, I'd rather see a "less is more" mentality when it comes to Sonic game graphics. You can make an insanely complicated level (see much of Sonic CD and Sonic 4's Mad Gear), but you also gotta know when to stop in terms of sparkles, flares, shines, glows and dust on items and characters. This video, for example, goes overboard on the ring sparkle and running dust cloud (even trumping Sonic 4's dust clouds). Looks good for a minute, but imagine a whole game with crazy sparkles, trails of brown dust and badnik parts flying at you.

In the end, if this game's goal is to remake Sonic 2, why don't I just play the Sonic 2 created by SEGA?

I wouldn't say we've been "praising" Sonic 4, check my review and George's review. Those in the positive here find it to be an enjoyable game that has room to improve in subsequent episodes, hence the B rating. Were episode 2 to improve the physics to most of the detractors likings (I'd ignore the flat out crazies though), introduce original environments and add Tails to both episodes, Sonic 4 could very well become an "A" in my opinion.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »
The threadname is kind of misleading. The name of the game is actually "sonic fan remix" and it's a remix of all the stages of sonic 1,2 and 3. You can see some similarities but also a lot added. I think the idea is pick some stages out of the 3, remix them, change the level designs a bit and add act 2(and maybe also 3) music to them.

Why would you play it? Well I don't know. I played pokemon silver on the gbc but than played it again as soulsilver on the nds and it does kind of have an impact. I think Remakes/remixes are always made with the idea of, if you want to replay that old game again, why not play a better version of it.

If it were to become a full game(6/7 zones) I can imagine it become maybe even better than the originals. I am allready loving things like lots of enemies(badniks) in the stage which give it a less of a cakewalk feeling and the idea of all the acts looking different from each other (rain, day and night)

Less is more. I can agree with that and maybe it would be better if he adjusted the visuals a bit, but I can't imagine myself really getting bothered and stressed with the "clustered", "busy" fore and backgrounds, I don't think it's going to ruin the experience. The game is what it is and like with s4e1, you can ask for so much till it suits your preferences but that's never gonna happen a 100%. Betatesters themselves have been praising the game and have been saying about the visuals that they look better when you play the games on your own computer on hi res.

The thing for me personally is that this looks so close to what I have been asking for pretty long. Not a remake but just a new sonic experience that plays similar to the classics. The physics in sonic fan remix are not just a bit similar like the advance series, they are spot on. Since s4e1 was also sort of a remix but kind of a dissapointment for me with removal of some good elements and additions of some bad ones, I think i'm gonna enjoy this one more. It's true that most fangames don't get finished(and this one might not too, who knows) but man this almost looks like a proffesional made product and I can't help but feel hyped about it.

The guys are taking this project really serious so I hope it's gonna end up well, who knows sega/sonicteam might notice and even hire them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:45:25 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »
I'm rather perplexed why these talented people do not just try making their own original games. It's somewhat strange, it's more productive for them and could allow a bit of money on the side, although obviously not as much popularity. Ah well, their loss and my gain I suppose.