Author Topic: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?  (Read 21012 times)

Offline Sega Stylista

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »
I don't care about the licensing issues in terms of buying the digital copies. It's about forcing me to always have a DC to have the original complete version that kind of annoys me, as sacrilegious as that might sound. I just want to be as digital as possible and go down to one console some day if I can.

More concerned about playing Jet with a dual shock controller as the analog sticks are taller than the DC's and playing Jet with a dual shock is less responsive and that matters to some one who is hardcore about and still plays the hell out of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 01:15:02 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
Skies of Arcadia wouldn't be too huge.  They did fit it on one Gamecube disc (1.5gb), and I could see them making it a download for around 2gb without sacrificing the sound like the GC version.
Wasn't it two GD-ROM's on the Dreamcast anyway? Because that would be 2GB, yeah...

But if size is still a problem, they could always release it in "episodes"... ;P

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 03:36:55 am »
I meant Skies of Arcadia is a really massive game in length, not space, seriously like 40+ hours if you rush through it. I think with minor tweaks to the graphics engine they could make it a budget release on Wii with barely any complaints.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 04:07:26 am »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
What about Sega Rally 2? Should Sega bother with it and are the licensing issues with that a barrier to porting it?

I enjoyed DC Daytona but that runs into another licensing issue.  Would they bother renaming it just to port it?  Would they call that Sega Racing Classic too?  It would sell like crap and be hard to search under that name.

Good Shout.

SEGA RALLY II is crying out to be ported to XBLA and PSN. Add in online play and Time Table and its a winner (I'm sure SEGA could get rid of the slowdown too)

Also enough people really know that SEGA classic Racing is Daytona. Bring that to LIVE and PSN with Custom Soundtracks option (so people can put in the classic tunes ) and add in 20 odd Multi Player online and charge 800 points, I really can't see how it could fail.

Ailen Front Online and Pen Pen (with fully Online play) would be great title too
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 05:01:41 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
JSRF seemed to have loads more copyright songs than JSR did, though both had them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Radio#Soundtrack

JSR really wouldn't be the same without all the tracks. Here's hoping SEGA finds a way to rerelease the game without cuts.

Only Hideki's and Richard's music wouldn't bring up any issue I'd guess. Make them release De La JSR Barry.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 07:34:10 am »
@: Fluffymoochicken:
Skies was on two GD-Roms, but since it fit on the one Gamecube disc, I doubt they used up all of the space on the second Dreamcast disc.

@Sanus:
It is a pretty long game gameplay-wise for sure. I think it took me around 55 hours or so to beat it.  I don't know if that'll affect it being released though.  It'll probably just cost more than Crazy Taxi or Sonic Adventure ($15 instead of $10).
It'd be nice to see it on the Wii, but I think one of the big points of these digital releases is that SEGA really doesn't run into as much risk of financial loss when they're putting up a game for download vs. shipping out a physical product to stores, and worrying about things like print runs, etc....

That's got to be my favourite thing about this generation.  Developers releasing interesting titles that would never even be given a chance at retail, because of the lower risk and cost associated with downloadable titles.  Games like flower, Mega Man 9, PixelJunk Shooter, even Sonic 4.  2D gameplay and graphics were practically exiled to hand-held systems for a good chunk of time there. It's been great to see them make a comeback.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:31 am »
But do ported DC games have online play at all?
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 08:25:23 am »
Quote from: "crackdude"
But do ported DC games have online play at all?

Virtual On Does . Most Mega Drive ports have Online play, there's no excuse really as long as the team are up to it.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 11:12:33 am »
I've just had a rather unpleasant thought I've not seen discussed yet.  Isn't very likely multi-disc games like Shenmue and Skies are going to  have a different pricing model.  I hope Sega doesn't pull something really unfriendly like sell each Shenmue disc for $9.99 but I would not discount the possibility.  

Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Good Shout.

SEGA RALLY II is crying out to be ported to XBLA and PSN. Add in online play and Time Table and its a winner (I'm sure SEGA could get rid of the slowdown too)

Do you really think Sega would go that far with these DC ports.  How about remaking the original Sega Rally in HD w/ online multiplayer?  I would like to see that.

Also enough people really know that SEGA classic Racing is Daytona. Bring that to LIVE and PSN with Custom Soundtracks option (so people can put in the classic tunes ) and add in 20 odd Multi Player online and charge 800 points, I really can't see how it could fail.

That would totally own, but I'm concerned about Mike Hayes comments about only releasing DC titles right now so not to confuse the market. I hope that doesn't put arcade titles on hold until Sega release all the DC classics.  Still, what to do about DC Daytona?

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline SOUP

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:43 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
I've just had a rather unpleasant thought I've not seen discussed yet.  Isn't very likely multi-disc games like Shenmue and Skies are going to  have a different pricing model.  I hope Sega doesn't pull something really unfriendly like sell each Shenmue disc for $9.99 but I would not discount the possibility.  

I really don't think they'd split up games by disc like that. The only reason they were split up in the first place was because they couldn't all fit on one disc. Not necessarily because it made narrative sense to split the games up that way.  It was just a downfall of the medium they were on.
Being released digitally, there really isn't the need to split them up like that.  I mean, look at Final Fantasy VII on the PSN. It's just one big file that you download.  All the disc switching is just done in the software.  

I think they'll just have a price of $14.99 for the longer titles like Skies and Shenmue.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:14:28 am »
1200 Microsoft Points would be a fair price for a port of Shenmue 2, assuming they still have the Xbox version's code.

I didn't really expect them to release SC5 Part 2 in all honesty, but it's nice nevertheless.

Could we also see the release of the sligthly obscure Sega Tetris? I sure hope so.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:30:18 am »
Quote from: "max_cady"
Could we also see the release of the sligthly obscure Sega Tetris? I sure hope so.
I highly doubt Sega would bother translating the game to English.

Also, it is hard as tits.
SEG4GES

Offline Alex Supersonic

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 10:18:07 am »
Dynamite Deka would be cool for XBLA/PSN, I think that would be perfect for it. Maybe with online coop.
[size=85]-----
former known as Ali[/size]

Offline SOUP

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:19 pm »
Quote from: "Alex Supersonic"
Dynamite Deka would be cool for XBLA/PSN, I think that would be perfect for it. Maybe with online coop.

Seconded. That game is a blast. It'd be really nice if more people got the chance to discover it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 04:45:21 am »
^Oh Indeed, Dynamite Cop would be fantastic for XBLA.

Really would love Skies as well, I've already finished it at least twice, but I would do it all over again and get all the achievements if it were released. They could make some cool achievements for that too, with all the crew and discoveries you could find.