Author Topic: Rumor:New Sega Console In Next Generation  (Read 25786 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Rumor:New Sega Console In Next Generation
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:00 am »
Nope, I hate new Crazy... And they are Arcade company...N.1 in Arcade Machines.

yeah but arcade are dwindling. being top 3 in mobile is definitly a focus

also that job ad you posted is most likely for some kind larger scale F2P game at most (PSO2 is what most people would want Í guess)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:10 am »
Apart from the horrible nature of mobile games, (and crap controls etc), I can't help but think these companies shifting solely onto mobile are setting themselves up for a huge fall. The bubble will break eventually. We've already experienced it breaking here in the UK for example.

Offline Ri$k

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 09:08:55 am »

also that job ad you posted is most likely for some kind larger scale F2P game at most (PSO2 is what most people would want Í guess)

Yeah, HW engineers, frimware designers and Senior System Administrator are for F2P game....

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 09:21:43 am »
...is it wrong that every time someone mentions SEGA are now predominantly a mobile company I cringe?

It's not even true but don't let the media scramble to tell you the truth.

I'd consider them a multimedia company before anything else.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 09:23:45 am »
Doubt this is true. Sega and Nintendo should just merge so they can dominate the console space.

With what? Dead Franchises? No Sequels? Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games?
Maybe we'll get Company of Heroes Amiibos, the generals are all locked away in Figurines now.

(Sorry I'm being pretty cynical, even by my standards...)
SEGA would be stupid to make another console, they're making a killing on mobile, they have a great presents on PC and steam and many developers who are PC based. Like Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Relic, Three Rings and so on.

This. Sega is a Freemium App company now. They make money hand over fist with that stuff, why would they go into something as high risk as consoles? As TA Said, they don't even have any killer apps anymore. Long gone are the days that Sonic was a system seller.

...is it wrong that every time someone mentions SEGA are now predominantly a mobile company I cringe?

Get used to it. I don't like it either, but I haven't been much of a Sega fan for a long while anyway.

Apart from the horrible nature of mobile games, (and crap controls etc), I can't help but think these companies shifting solely onto mobile are setting themselves up for a huge fall. The bubble will break eventually. We've already experienced it breaking here in the UK for example.

It depends, Sega is pretty diverse, but they do have a strong presence in phone games. Makes sense considering how low risk/high reward it is right now. Strike while the iron is hot, and try to keep ahead of the curve as things change. I doubt Mobile Gaming is going to collapse anytime soon, but it will continually be changing.

Most importantly, if Sega did make a console, would anyone here even care? It's not as if Sega publishes enough games (Let alone good games) to warrant buying a console.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
Mang you're way too cynical haha.

I also think having killer apps is a overstatement, if you want to win the console wars you need good relations with third party, the Playstation 4 isn't winning because Sony make the best game in the business (lol DriveClub,  lol HD remasters,  lol Knack,  lol Killzone and lol The Order)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 09:37:37 am »
Get used to it. I don't like it either, but I haven't been much of a Sega fan for a long while anyway

Yep SEGA been dead for years really. Can live in hope that one day Sammy will sell and the old SEGA will return but by then it be too late

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

I also think having killer apps is a overstatement, if you want to win the console wars you need good relations with third party, the Playstation 4 isn't winning because Sony make the best game in the business (lol DriveClub,  lol HD remasters,  lol Knack,  lol Killzone and lol The Order)

Good point, I'm thinking pretty outdated. Consoles today just need to be the best CoD and Fifa Box (or CoD and Madden box in the US) to win nowadays.

Having said that, the PlayStation brand name is also the biggest asset it has IMO. PlayStation is a synonym for console for many people. I feel more than anything that is their success (and Nintendo and Xbox just doing a terrible job for the most part).

Also, am I too cynical? Or is everyone else just too optimistic?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:30 am »
I don't think it would interest me to be honest. As you've stated, this SEGA doesn't produce enough good products and the way the consoles are right now, apart from the odd exclusive you'll miss, you're better off buying a PC - which also has loads more exclusives might I add.

We also have the question of do we really need another console? I don't think there's an appetite for it and even Nintendo (mostly they're own fault mind) are having to take a different direction now.

Offline Ri$k

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:52 am »

Yep SEGA been dead for years really. Can live in hope that one day Sammy will sell and the old SEGA will return but by then it be too late

Well,SEGA Is Not Exactly In Financial Ruin, they have good cash flow, Sonic Generations,Alien and Total War are good games...

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:07 am »
Good point, I'm thinking pretty outdated. Consoles today just need to be the best CoD and Fifa Box (or CoD and Madden box in the US) to win nowadays.

Having said that, the PlayStation brand name is also the biggest asset it has IMO. PlayStation is a synonym for console for many people. I feel more than anything that is their success (and Nintendo and Xbox just doing a terrible job for the most part).

Also, am I too cynical? Or is everyone else just too optimistic?

The PlayStation brand didn't save the Vita or the PSP and it wasn't enough to rescue the PlayStation 3 either. I think there is some importance in the brand but it's not what saved Sony this time, they actually designed hardware third parties were happy to work with and an attractive price point for the consumers.

As for being a cynic, I wouldn't call SEGA a mobile only company after we know they have Alien Isolation 2, Dawn of War 3 and Total Warhammer in development.

You throw in stuff like Sonic Boom,  7th Dragon 3 and Tembo and it's not really true. Would we be calling Square or EA mobile only companies too?

Offline Ri$k

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 09:51:36 am »

Agree

Yeah,that is true. But, SEGA can make own sport games like before. Or just try apologize to EA for Saturn..

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 09:56:12 am »
As for being a cynic, I wouldn't call SEGA a mobile only company after we know they have Alien Isolation 2, Dawn of War 3 and Total Warhammer in development.

You throw in stuff like Sonic Boom,  7th Dragon 3 and Tembo and it's not really true. Would we be calling Square or EA mobile only companies too?

I said they are diverse in an earlier post, but have  strong focus on mobile too. I don't think that's unfair. I understand they still publish a lot of console & PC games (although a lot of them I don't care about).

The PlayStation brand didn't save the Vita or the PSP and it wasn't enough to rescue the PlayStation 3 either. I think there is some importance in the brand but it's not what saved Sony this time, they actually designed hardware third parties were happy to work with and an attractive price point for the consumers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say it's the only thing they did right! I just meant I think it's their strongest asset.

Also wasn't PS3 the best selling console last gen?

Offline Ri$k

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 09:58:30 am »
I said they are diverse in an earlier post, but have  strong focus on mobile too. I don't think that's unfair. I understand

Also wasn't PS3 the best selling console last gen?

Nope, and they lost lot of money on PS3.... And PS Vita? Just with 4mil? Even Game Gear had 11mil....

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 10:01:48 am »
Well,SEGA Is Not Exactly In Financial Ruin, they have good cash flow, Sonic Generations,Alien and Total War are good games...

Don't try to be reasonable, some people don't want to hear it. You could talk about Alien Isolation, SEGA Racing Transformed, Total War, Football Manager, Sonic Generations, Warhammer, Dawn of War, Project Diva, 7th Dragon, PSO2 the inevitable next Sonic game, ATLUS games and many many more... But no 'SEGA only does apps now.'

Made by SEGA