Author Topic: SegaBits Plays: Deus Ex - Beginning 5th December JOIN US!  (Read 22737 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: SegaBits Plays: Deus Ex - Beginning 5th December JOIN US!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 09:01:10 am »
Well im still in busy working week mode (work at post sorting facility). My last nightshift, a good rest and then im all game! im very excited to play!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 10:08:01 am »
Yeah I'll be joining you guys tomorrow on this, going to be all ready for the weekend to go at this game with hammer and tongs.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:28 am »
A note about difficulty settings - Medium is probably best to start with as easy and hard just make enemies do more/less damage and yourself do more/less damage to them.

Realistic means a headshot will drop you dead, or getting shot in the leg means you can't run/jump etc. Probably not good for a first play-through.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »
Okay I've started the game, remembering bits and pieces as I go along, they don't make em like they used to...

Okay, Spoilers for Liberty Island (First Level)
----------------------------------------------------------
In terms of skill points to start with, I put into Lock-picking and Electronics. I like being able to explore freely and these help out a lot at the start. With remaining points I couldn't do much so put some into swimming.

Started out talking to Paul, I took the GEP gun. Figured I would like to have a little less stealth than my last playthrough and the playthrough of HR. Still will use it when required, but it's fun to blow things up to.

I went under the water and got the boxes of goodies, did you guys check it out? This game has so many secrets to find.

I also found a little bunker that had a faulty electricity box, I could have disabled the generator, but instead i used the boxes to climb over safely and collect the password for the security system in the Statue!

I got into the statue itself by climbing up some shipping containers to bypass the lower floor and main entrance. From here I dropped down to the main floor to find Gunther. I couldn't find the terminal to disable the lasers, so I went through the vents and took the back entrance instead. KO'd the guard and turned off the turrets and cameras with the password I found before opening the door to Gunther. I didn't want to give him my pistol (especially not after I found some upgrades for it) so left him to wait while I took care of things. There was some friction there...

I also found someone's ATM Password and helped myself to 200 credits.

Jojo had some interesting things to say when I spoke to him a few times before UNATCO Agents were ready to take him away. Overall no casualties. We are police after all...

END SPOILERS
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do read the bits and pieces around the game, emails, newspapers, books etc. There's some interesting stuff about Mechanical Augmented agents resenting the new Nanotech guys (which JC is the second unit). Especially interesting for those who started with Human Revolution which was set during the mechanical augmentation era.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 12:59:21 am »
Gonna have to start this up tomorrow. I need to get a keyboard cause my laptop mouse is missing a S key.. Yeah, sad, I know.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 07:05:46 am »
Gonna have to start this up tomorrow. I need to get a keyboard cause my laptop mouse is missing a S key.. Yeah, sad, I know.

You could also re-bind the keys if you really needed to.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:45:26 am »
I'm starting right naow. Gonna sink in some hours and pour some real attention into it.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »
So I played a bit. I think getting used to the fact that the game wants you to figure everythign out on your own, the lack of navigations/maps/direction pointing, instead wants you to memorize yourself is something I raelly have to get used to, although appreciate. Some keys needed to be rebinded indeed. Rebinded crouching to c, reloading to r and zoom to middle mouse.

I like this sorta stuff. There's a lot of games i've memorized from back in the days that play just like this, only because of memorization I dont realize the lack of all the handholding and lack of direction pointing everywhere cuz i already know where to go.

Im not that far. Did the training again to refresh my memories, and now just went into the openfield. Still havent finished any objectives. I think today was a good start to let it all sink in a bit. Was a bit distracted with the playstation experience thing. Kind of regret it now but oh well tomorrow's another day.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 12:06:01 am »
I managed to play some too, finally put my kid to bed. My netbook slows down in a few areas, but I'm hoping it'll be good. Makes me remember how much I can appreciate first person RPGs.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:22 am »
So I played a bit. I think getting used to the fact that the game wants you to figure everythign out on your own, the lack of navigations/maps/direction pointing, instead wants you to memorize yourself is something I raelly have to get used to, although appreciate. Some keys needed to be rebinded indeed. Rebinded crouching to c, reloading to r and zoom to middle mouse.

I like this sorta stuff. There's a lot of games i've memorized from back in the days that play just like this, only because of memorization I dont realize the lack of all the handholding and lack of direction pointing everywhere cuz i already know where to go.

Im not that far. Did the training again to refresh my memories, and now just went into the openfield. Still havent finished any objectives. I think today was a good start to let it all sink in a bit. Was a bit distracted with the playstation experience thing. Kind of regret it now but oh well tomorrow's another day.

Part of what I like about this game is the sense of discovery. There's no hand holding, and looking for things using your own tools is more satisfying than waymarkers and the like IMO.

I managed to play some too, finally put my kid to bed. My netbook slows down in a few areas, but I'm hoping it'll be good. Makes me remember how much I can appreciate first person RPGs.
Did you get a new KB or re-bind?
I had to re-bind everything haha.

Okay, update

BATTERY PARK
---------------------------------------

I gave some food to the kid on the docks and he told me the secret code for the tunnel near the vending machine. This helped me get into the Battery and clear out the NSF with little fuss.

Able to use some firepower with the GEP gun and the like in this mission.

Cleared out the shanty town, and used a ventilation grate in one of the lean-tos to get into the subway and take out the NSF behind their lines and get the hostages to safety.

END SPOILERS

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 11:37:12 am »
Just started with the training and was a legless heap thanks to the security drone haha.

I'll play some more properly later in the evening.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 01:28:21 pm »
So you cant play this game fully stealth? Seems tranquilizers keeps them running for a while. Had to close off the place with objects like barrels at where gunther needed to be saved to prevent them from sounding the alarm lol
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:56:32 pm by CrazyT »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:48 am »
So you cant play this game fully stealth? Seems tranquilizers keeps them running for a while. Had to close off the place with objects like barrels at where gunther needed to be saved to prevent them from sounding the alarm lol

You can play full stealth. The Baton and Tazer/Electric Prod are KO weapons. Not sure about Baton, but a hit from behind with the tazer will 1 hit KO the enemy. Pretty sure it's the same for Baton.

Tranquilizers are a trade off since they have range, it will take time for the enemy to get knocked out.

Having said that, blocking areas and the like is a legitimate strategy too! There are strength augmentations to let you lift heavier items, so you can even block doorways and paths with huge containers and the like.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:52 am »
Great to see some love for my favourite game ever made. I haven't played it for 6 months or so. Guess it's time for a reinstall!

I'm loving MadeManG74's update of his play through.

A quick tip. When you reach the room on the first level where Gunther is in the cell, drop your pistol and search one of the bodies. You'll pick up an unmodified one you can give to Gunther who's very happy with you and then you just go back out and pick your one back up. This saves a lot of issues with Gunther moaning at you later.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 07:51:32 am »
Yeah I've just sneaked into the statue myself, so much obliged with that tip!

So far I am loving my playthrough, it's amazing how much little handholding there is compared to now (Though I'll admit, I hardly play games that how much of that at all.) but it really is a fantastic gem from the past.