Author Topic: Shinobi: The Complete History  (Read 16708 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 19
Re: Shinobi: The Complete History
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2022, 08:55:11 pm »
Looking back at my detest for Naruto, I always thought Naruto was a stupid and inaccurate portrail of ninja, especially ninjas that shout on the top of their lungs or announce themselves let alone wearing colourful attractive garments.

But then again, my knowledge of ninja is how Hollywood portrait it to me. Even I know ninjas can't vanish in a cloud of smoke or turn into logs or such.

The thing with Naruto and some ninja movies : they treat Ninja / Shinobi as some kind of superhero.
Different ninja with different power to show off.
That's not what Ninja is supposed to be.

SEGA described it best what Ninja / Shinobi is in Sakura Taisen :

"To remain hidden.
That's what Shinobi means.
Those who execute their mission undetected."

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2022, 11:15:08 am »
The thing with Naruto and some ninja movies : they treat Ninja / Shinobi as some kind of superhero.
Different ninja with different power to show off.
That's not what Ninja is supposed to be.

SEGA described it best what Ninja / Shinobi is in Sakura Taisen :

"To remain hidden.
That's what Shinobi means.
Those who execute their mission undetected."

I agree. Ninja are awesome but we shouldn't glorify the fact they are assassins. I do know a bit about real ninja. From what I understand the first ninjas were peasants who had enough of the tyrannical lords and shogans that rule over them. So they learned to use the everyday farming tools for weapons, how to be efficient and sneaking and murdering their targets. In a way a samurai is a trained warrior in armour while the ninja goes for the gaps in the armour and forego armour to be light on their feet. Over time these clans of killer farmers stylized their martial arts into ninjitsu and became assassins. I don't know if ninja's had clans or if these clans were like the middle-eastern Order of Assassins but folklore and later Hollywood make ninjas seem able to pull off tricks like vanishing in a cloud of smoke or to turn into a log or dummy. I imagine it's possible for magicians but I dunno if ninjas actually pulled off any tricks similar to Las Vegas magicians.

Offline Berto

« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2022, 08:40:00 pm »
I agree. Ninja are awesome but we shouldn't glorify the fact they are assassins. I do know a bit about real ninja. From what I understand the first ninjas were peasants who had enough of the tyrannical lords and shogans that rule over them. So they learned to use the everyday farming tools for weapons, how to be efficient and sneaking and murdering their targets. In a way a samurai is a trained warrior in armour while the ninja goes for the gaps in the armour and forego armour to be light on their feet. Over time these clans of killer farmers stylized their martial arts into ninjitsu and became assassins. I don't know if ninja's had clans or if these clans were like the middle-eastern Order of Assassins but folklore and later Hollywood make ninjas seem able to pull off tricks like vanishing in a cloud of smoke or to turn into a log or dummy. I imagine it's possible for magicians but I dunno if ninjas actually pulled off any tricks similar to Las Vegas magicians.

Well, Ninja's also like a spy so they're always known could disguise themself as anything.
By anything of course they meant anyone, they could disguise as farmer, beggar, or merchant.
But some story's taking too far with "anything" by making them could turned into a log or shadow.

Offline Berto

« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2022, 03:25:02 am »
"Megadrive: Art Collection Book" Kickstarter is 200% Funded Now
21 Days To Go!

Thanks to all your support, we have reached Kickstarter funding and the project is already a reality and will see the light of day in December 2022.
We would like to remind you that you can continue to support us and reach the rewards proposed in the project to equip the book with better materials and get more rewards.

Link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16lifegames/extended-version-megadrive-art-collection-book

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:08 am »
Well, Ninja's also like a spy so they're always known could disguise themself as anything.
By anything of course they meant anyone, they could disguise as farmer, beggar, or merchant.
But some story's taking too far with "anything" by making them could turned into a log or shadow.

That makes sense. I'm sure ninjas still wore kabuki given how practical they look, but makes sense they will need to do stake outs in broad daylight where the kabuki would be a dead give away.

Offline Berto

« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2022, 09:21:19 pm »
That makes sense. I'm sure ninjas still wore kabuki given how practical they look, but makes sense they will need to do stake outs in broad daylight where the kabuki would be a dead give away.

May be that's why Joe Musashi decided to wear white.
Because he's operating in a broad daylight.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #141 on: Today at 04:17:23 am »
May be that's why Joe Musashi decided to wear white.
Because he's operating in a broad daylight.

I think so to, would make sense.

Could also be it simply conceals his identity even if he is noticeable. Superhero mask/costume rules etc.