Author Topic: Mie Kumagai (Virtua Tennis) first original mobile game!  (Read 13434 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Mie Kumagai (Virtua Tennis) first original mobile game!
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:53:54 am »

http://tappli.org/column-detail.php?id=470&cid=19

Well sorta. What was once AM3 got dissolved into AM1 and AM2 in 2008, Sega's two remaining arcade teams. So the above pictured Mie Kumagai got put into AM2 with her own department there. After Virtua Tennis 4 (which was technically an AM2 game), now she is part of Sega's mobile division... where which as of now made mobile versions of Derby Owners Club, Virtua Tennis. And one other game which is this:

http://squads.sega-net.com/?utm=twittercampaign

The above interview talks about women in the gaming industry in senior producer enviorments, with Tri-Ace. Where I find out she made this mobile game. Another interresting comment is that you can very well be involved in a game as a director while still managing a department, she mentions Yu Suzuki as an example. She first worked with Mizuguchi on Joypolis attractions. NiGHTS also seemingly made an impact in Japan, as it made the other women from tri-ace want to join Sega.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:42:51 am by Trippled »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: This is Sega AM2 first mobile game!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:29:17 am »
AM2 making Mobile Phone games now.

There are no more heroes.
Fuck the world.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:33:12 am »
AM2 making Mobile Phone games now.

There are no more heroes.
Fuck the world.

Really thinking about its not true...tbh the AM2 managers haven't been involved in mobile games. Still, lots of resources for mobile games being pulled from the arcade division.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:41:07 am »
Yeah I'm just stirring shit. And sadly, it does make sense to scale back arcades in favour of mobile games.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:40:25 am »
This is a pretty misleading title...
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:22:50 pm »
Can someone explain to me why arcade games are less gross in general than mobile games? Both sides effect the game's outcome to rob users of their dollars.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:30 pm »
Can someone explain to me why arcade games are less gross in general than mobile games? Both sides effect the game's outcome to rob users of their dollars.

Arcade games are traditionally more technically advanced than home consoles and often explore control and interactivity that's impossible at home.  A good example would be games with light guns, drums, dance pads, maracas, or twin joy sticks. 

Mobile games tend to be cheaper than console games in art, production values, and game design.  They appeal to the lowest common denominator and these days employ freenium business models that suck the fun and life out of whatever core game is even there.  Just look at Runners.   

It's not hard to understand why one is treated with more dignity.  On the other hand most arcade games are designed to syphon your quarters unfairly so there's that. 

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
your kidding yourself if you think most Arcade games are more technically advanced than home console games... This isn't the 90's anymore.
Made by SEGA

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »
With arcade games, my thumbs aren't covering up the screen. And there are actual, responsive controls that are tighter than a mosquito's asshole, not some smudgy bullshit that hopefully works most of the time. Arcade games also let me keep playing if I'm doing well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:21:40 pm by Centrale »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:02:37 pm »
IF, too bad a lot of really nice looking games are ruined because they need you to die and take your quarters. I'm all for a challenge, but cheap games are cheap games. Honestly think SEGA should just dump arcades and move their team to consoles. Honestly, there is more money in consoles/PC then there ever will be on arcades. Its not the 90s sadly... I don't see arcades making a comeback outside of Japan. I think its a waste of talent for these people to work on a game that only a handful of Japanese users will play, honestly rather have them work on mobile (if I had to choose Japanese only arcade game or a mobile game) if that means people will actually try their games.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:43 am »
your kidding yourself if you think most Arcade games are more technically advanced than home console games... This isn't the 90's anymore.

I said traditionally.  It's part of why arcade games have always been revered compared to mobile titles.  You go to the arcades for immersive hard core experiences; you go to mobile for disposable crap. 

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Mie Kumagai (Virtua Tennis) first original mobile game!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:38 am »
You go to the arcades for immersive hard core experiences; you go to mobile for disposable crap. 

Oh yeah there's nothing more immersive than being surrounded by dozens of people with music on a loudspeaker and dozens of other games and conversations drowning out the one you're playing.

I think you're definitely confusing arcades of the 80's and 90's with arcades of today. No way you'll find an arcade game more advanced than what you can find on a home console, and you're especially not getting an immersive experience (though arcades have never been immersive at any point in history). Nowadays you go to what few arcades are left because it's just a good time and you get to play some old games.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 03:14:06 am »
Oh yeah there's nothing more immersive than being surrounded by dozens of people with music on a loudspeaker and dozens of other games and conversations drowning out the one you're playing.

I think you're definitely confusing arcades of the 80's and 90's with arcades of today. No way you'll find an arcade game more advanced than what you can find on a home console, and you're especially not getting an immersive experience (though arcades have never been immersive at any point in history). Nowadays you go to what few arcades are left because it's just a good time and you get to play some old games.

Yeah, may be no way we'll find an arcade game more advanced than what we can find on a home console, but still... Arcade games are more advanced than mobile gaming.

At least SEGA got a BOSA silver award for their Showdown DLX arcade game (luckily we managed to get it here, love the 3D views). They rarely had any award for their mobile games, no matter how good it is.

Source : http://www.bmigaming.com/Pressreleases/2015-Best-Of-Show-Arcade-Machine-Awards-BOSA-Press-Release.pdf

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:23:45 am by Berto »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 05:04:01 am »
Many westerners dont know that alot of todays Japanese arcade games are basicilly bigger scale mobile games. Random dispensions of cards, social elements etc.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:15 am »

Honestly uh, this is actually quite immersive yes.  Just the ambience of an arcade can get me excited because more often than not you're surrounded by people who also love games.  Like, real games.   And a million shitty, snotty kids.  Also immersion has many forms.  If an arcade game does a good job of transporting you into another world with its unique control scheme, that's immersion.  Sitting in a giant virtual-on cabinet is an amazing fucking experience no matter how loud the dave&busters may be. 

I think you're confusing my point.  I never said this is what arcades are now, I'm just explaining why everyone rolls their eyes at mobile titles and never at arcade ones.  Is this point of view outdated?  Debatable. 

I can't believe we're having this discussion honestly.  Why would you ever want to play a mobile game over House of the Dead, Marvel vs Capcom, virtual on, or DDR?  These games can still be found in arcades across the country. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:12:26 am by Radrappy »