Author Topic: ATLUS has now been bought by SEGA, thoughts?  (Read 27452 times)

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: What's your opinion if SEGA does buy out ATLUS?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:24 am »

And yet the American "hardcore" market see them as the saviours of the market with Persona and SMT.

Being a European fan sucks (not that I am one), and I don't know why they take the negligence of ATLUS...heck, why not support NISA, who not only bring ATLUS games over, but they do so in a timely fashion AND have some pretty cool games in their catalogue (they should release Rhapsody in Europe though...the bastards).

Atlus rocks if you're a core gamer, so did THQ, they were my favorite publisher this past gen. Regardless, THQ was the better value for the dollar and if we are gonna discuss it from that perspective, when was the last time Atlus had a game sell 5 mln+? Because THQ had one about a year before they went belly up called Saints Row the Third and SEGA could have had a nearly completed SR4 and the entire ownership of the IP + Volition (the studio) for around 30 mln.

Lots of valuable THQ IP, Darksiders was around a 1.5-2 mln per entry franchise that just needed downsizing, Red Faction did around 1-2 million with each entry though faded pretty hard with Armageddon, Saints Row, WWE license, Metro series (publishing rights, though honestly 4A would be a solid purchase), etc. etc.

Not to mention IP that was ripe for sequels like Homeworld and Titan Quest. I was shocked SEGA let Homeworld slide, demand has been very high for that series in the PC space and it was developed by Relic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:56:12 am by TaroYamada »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 08:39:23 am »
Oh I certainly don't disagree with you regarding that THQ has a better profile...I was just saying that ATLUS are seen as better than SEGA these days....that SEGA "couldn't possibly do ATLUS justice", which I think is rubbish.

However, yes...ATLUS have no particular game that sells very well...even Persona 4 didn't sell all that much.

In fact, I don't even like most of ATLUS' games from my experience.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:46 pm »
Oh I certainly don't disagree with you regarding that THQ has a better profile...I was just saying that ATLUS are seen as better than SEGA these days....that SEGA "couldn't possibly do ATLUS justice", which I think is rubbish.

However, yes...ATLUS have no particular game that sells very well...even Persona 4 didn't sell all that much.

In fact, I don't even like most of ATLUS' games from my experience.

Oh, I understood you agreed with me, I just didn't make that clear in my post. Sorry bro!

Atlus is probably seen as better by a lot of core gamers, than SEGA, I guess I could maybe get why. While Atlus is smaller and releases fewer games, from the core perspective almost all their games are targeted at cores. Atlus also releases entries in the franchises they have that are popular amongst cores, whilst SEGA's kill IP to create new ones instead policies have created a shit-ton of IP (more than anybody else in the industry in fact) that creates a wide market of people who are fragmented across so many different IP and want to see X IP again.

I appreciate SEGA's innovative IP replacement strategies of old as a core gamer but it created a lot of IP people would love to see again, no doubt. Atlus doesn't have the same issue and hence it has a fanbase that doesn't feel like it's getting ignored really.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:49 am »
So did this not happen?

Offline Bartman3010

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:14 am »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:13 am »
all dat uninformed sega hate on the 20 pages of GAF

don't even realize that they bought index, or what a holding company is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:44:42 am by Trippled »

Offline puyopuyoman

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 02:03:50 am »
all dat uninformed sega hate on the 20 pages of GAF

don't even realize that they bought index, or what a holding company is.
Yeah I just spent more time than I should have lurking there :P
Honestly I don't have a total 100% grasp on the situation but I'm okay with this.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 02:42:13 am »
Holy shit they actually bought Index.

Offline Sieghardt

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 02:47:38 am »
This could go really good or really bad, it'd be awesome if they could work out something with Atlus USA to localise their stuff

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 03:15:36 am »
SEGA is denying Nikkei's report.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=212484

Could be it was leaked prematurely. I find it a little hard to believe that Nikkei would just out of the blue report this incorrectly.

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:57 am »
Well, it's confirmed:

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf

Welcome to the family Atlus... I guess.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:32 am »
Ah, so SEGA licensed it! Interesting that Sonic could never be used by any other company at the time (I am guessing to keep the brand valuable by doing what Nintendo did...or do...)

A shame that they no longer exist (or do they?).

If you're talking about Nex the last time they worked with Sega was on the BAYONETTA port.And to be honest if it wasn't for Sega UK's SegaTech team, BAYONETTA would have never been able to run on the PS3 on time as well as Platinum getting VANQUISH coded onto one disc.
As for Sonic i think some British companies that had a semi exclusive license for development on the MD were able to use Sonic's image like Sensible Soccer but that's going by memory and i only played that game once. Not even sure if it was the right game. 

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 03:56:40 am »
Well, it's confirmed:

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf

Welcome to the family Atlus... I guess.

Well there's no doubt now Atlus will be re organised under the Sega brand. Which means some downsizing is going to happen. I also wonder if many of the creators are going to remain with Atlus or just take their chances and create a new company. Owning the names mean nothing if half the peeps that made it decide to leave. The main concern is what will happen with Atlus USA. Sega won't need a publishing arm so that will be dismantled or absorbed into Sega. Or they could decide to split off into their own company which is what happened when Sammy and Sega first merge, some of Sammy's american studios had the option to spin out from the merger. Intresting months ahead. Anyway it considerably grows Sega's list of games for the PS4 now when at sega it was only two before.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:59 am »
They confidently spent double the money they did on Relic, Sports Interactive and The Creative Assembly combined on purchasing Index which greatly surprises.

Also was unaware that SEGA Sammy already held some stock in Index.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 04:23:41 am »
Bad purchase considering they passed over the far more valuable THQ assets for far lower prices.