Author Topic: State of arcades in Japan  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
State of arcades in Japan
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:49:30 am »
http://hbol.jp/65376

Interresting bullet points, that also have Sega in this mix:

• In it's peak in 1986, Japan had 20000 Arcades across the country
  • [size=78%]In the 70's, Arcades were bad boy hangout, in the 80's and 90's students populated it, in the 00's it became increasingly geeky[/size]
  • [/size]Now, the arcades are only 5000 in number.[size=78%]
  • [/size]Peak of revenue was in 2006, since then it has been in decline. (also the last year a new Virtua Fighter was released, coincidence?)[size=78%]
  • [/size]Every type of game has been in decline, with the exception of music games by Konami (which is why Sega is more recently also trying to be more aggressive in that market).[size=78%]
  • [/size]The only growth is by the "Silver Generation", which is old people playing mostly analong medal games, mostly by Sega.[size=78%]
  • [/size]The "three generations" types of venues are the main ones with growth. The interactive Orbi technology museum, where old and young can enjoy, is of those types.[size=78%]
  • [/size]

Here you can see flashy lights keeping old people awake.
    [size=78%]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:02:06 am by Trippled »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
Re: State of arcades in Japan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:17:37 pm »
It's funny that SEGA is almost the singularity that moves the Arcade scene in Japan side the last 30 years.

Konami Music games are in a fixed position with no decline or grow. That's something to take notes because that company also handle Gyms/Fitness centers in JP.

Also, Orbi is something interesting: A collaboration of SEGA with BBC to make a Virtua Zoo/ Nature Holographic Challenge / Like a Wild Animal Experience xD

Heck, even a PR Video for a new attraction with penguins has Kana Hanazawa (Best paid VA/Seiyuu in JP right now) as a narrator!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
Its weird that on one hand VF5 was their last big legacy entry in that market, but Borderbreak did really well for them. I just think they should just do new arcade style games for consoles with more content. I like arcades, I get what they mean to SEGA legacy... but its 2015.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »
Virtua Fighter 5 was state of the art graphics at the time, even compared to consoles, it was still a healthy enviorment to release it in.

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 03:29:46 pm »
Its weird that on one hand VF5 was their last big legacy entry in that market, but Borderbreak did really well for them. I just think they should just do new arcade style games for consoles with more content. I like arcades, I get what they mean to SEGA legacy... but its 2015.

Non Sega consoles are just not made for Arcade games. Especially Sega's.

Sega is not Konami or Capcom. They're a unique Arcade brand on the count that they have cutting edge Arcade tech that's more powerful than traditional consoles.(Its why SEGA consoles are always Arcade based.)

Also, Read my topic. SEGA is trying to expand Arcades back to the States and beyond.

Gamers seem to underestimate SEGA's Technical prowess when it comes to Arcade Techonology. They see the brand as inferior to console manufacturers and seem to think that systems like PS4 can run all of Sega's higher end Arcade hardware without bottlenecks or performance problems.

It's funny that SEGA is almost the singularity that moves the Arcade scene in Japan side the last 30 years.Konami Music games are in a fixed position with no decline or grow. That's something to take notes because that company also handle Gyms/Fitness centers in JP.Also, Orbi is something interesting: A collaboration of SEGA with BBC to make a Virtua Zoo/ Nature Holographic Challenge / Like a Wild Animal Experience xDHeck, even a PR Video for a new attraction with penguins has Kana Hanazawa (Best paid VA/Seiyuu in JP right now) as a narrator!

Its pretty simple. Arcades/Amusements are SEGA's Bread and Butter. Arcades are to SEGA what portables are to Nintendo.

Regarding Orbi Yokohama, SEGA eventually wants to open more overseas in major heavily populated cities. Maybe SEGA Live Creation will help make that come true.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:34:46 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »
Arcade boards have been mid range PC's since the mid 00's. The only reason why for example VF5 looked state of the art was because of Sega's talented developers rather than hardware. The reason games are arcade exclsuives, is not because of powerful arcade hardware, but because venues simply need exclusivity.

I'm absolutely for Joypolis and Orbi in the West.

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 05:54:31 pm »
Arcade boards have been mid range PC's since the mid 00's. The only reason why for example VF5 looked state of the art was because of Sega's talented developers rather than hardware. The reason games are arcade exclsuives, is not because of powerful arcade hardware, but because venues simply need exclusivity.

I'm absolutely for Joypolis and Orbi in the West.

Lindbergh, the Hardware that ran VF5, had a similar GPU to PS3. But its Microprocessor(Pentium 4 Cedar Hills) was twice its speed and slightly more powerful than 4 Cell & better performing.

Taito and BandaiNamco boards(All non Sega boards) have been  low end powered since 2006. The most high end performing one"Type X2" is a bit ahead of Wii U.

Ringedge 2 & Nu (Clarkdale & Ivy Bridge powered)have much better CPU power and performance than AMD Jaguar.

Regarding Joypolis, SEGA just opened its first overseas one in Shanghai this summer. Perhaps more investors may help SEGA Live Creation to bring it Stateside. That would Rock!