Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 102242 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2013, 01:25:13 am »
Yikes at those sales numbers, now even my 500,000 estimation is seeming a bit too generous. I was expecting the 3DS to pick up the slack over the Wii U version but it seems well and truly this game is going to be a massive failure to everyone involved.

Hope this has no detrimental effect on the brand long term but with the animated series coming next year it should provide a boost in sales for whatever the next Sonic game will be.

Those numbers are for the month of october.  How many days was SLW on sale for october?  Not claiming it's going to sell amazingly but come on. 

They are some of the worst in the series.

No they aren't.  They are very easy but entirely playable and competent.  Time eater, now that is a terrible boss

I'm passing judgement on what I've played on the demo (Three levels) and what I've seen. Do I need to play all of Shadow the Hedgehog to know I will not like it?

No, but your judgement doesn't count for much then.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:27:50 am by Radrappy »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2013, 08:47:50 am »

Oh I will agree with Roger being a good choice and has really grown into the role, I just didn't think the script was that good but as I said, Sonic scripts have either been bad or average so there is nothing much the voice actors can do (Saying that I think the actors for Tails are Amy are still bad)

Funny enough the Japanese script is a bit different from it's Western counterpart.
re watching the cutscenes i can see where you are coming from. I think maybe i adjusted my mindset to a more kid approach. In one of the cutscenes sonic says something weird like "i'm gonna kick you" which i remember interpreting as im gonna kick your ass with censor lol. But most of the cutscenes especially around where im at have been pretty great to watch. I'm a fan of tails so that especially stands out as a big positive for me. He acts more like i expect him but more of his age for a change. It does remind me like barry wrote in his review of the "adventures of sonic" show.

Also about the bosses. They are very similar to the classics in easyness imo. What makes up for them just like in the classics is that they are part of a big challenging(or not) act. And the fact that there are 2 variety of battles per world
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:44:27 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2013, 11:47:39 am »
Those numbers are for the month of october.  How many days was SLW on sale for october?  Not claiming it's going to sell amazingly but come on. 

Come on what? The game has already been a total failure in the UK and it seems that it too well follow that trend in the US where it seems the Wii U is returning back down to its poor monthly sales. A product like Sonic can certainly sell over a long period of time but it needs a good sized market, something at current moment and possibly for a good while yet, the Wii U will not give.

And I should point out, most video game sales come within the first day of release unless we are talking about evergreen titles like Pokemon, Gran Turismo etc

No they aren't.  They are very easy but entirely playable and competent.  Time eater, now that is a terrible boss

I see that for some reason you keep dragging Sonic Generations into this even though it is common knowledge the final boss is also one of the worst in the series and something I can admit to.

Just because the series got to such depths does not mean I will be willing to go "Oh well, at least its not Silver level bad!" I expect something more than it being playable (What type of compliment is that even?) and competent.

No, but your judgement doesn't count for much then.   

Nor have I claimed to be some high authority on this matter, I gave my opinions of what I disliked about the level designs and controls on my own issues with the title.

re watching the cutscenes i can see where you are coming from. I think maybe i adjusted my mindset to a more kid approach. In one of the cutscenes sonic says something weird like "i'm gonna kick you" which i remember interpreting as im gonna kick your ass with censor lol. But most of the cutscenes especially around where im at have been pretty great to watch. I'm a fan of tails so that especially stands out as a big positive for me. He acts more like i expect him but more of his age for a change. It does remind me like barry wrote in his review of the "adventures of sonic" show.

I actually quite dislike how all the characters except for Doctor Robotnik (To an extent) have been portrayed here. Sonic slowly has become dumber and dumber whilst Tails has become smarter than the major villain of the series (Which is something that has irked me for a while now) whilst the Zeti's do not have much screentime (Or even look appealing) to really become memorable.

Also about the bosses. They are very similar to the classics in easy ees imo. What makes up for them just like in the classics is that they are part of a big challenging(or not) act. And the fact that there are 2 variety of battles per world

I'm not sure you can compare them with the classics apart from it being tied into an act, the classic ones were easy to an extent but not pushovers like what I'm seeing here. The bosses best remind me of Sonic CD rather than the ones on the Mega Drive.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2013, 12:56:07 pm »
Isn't sonic not being too bright and silly kind of his thing though? I mean he certainly was in the sonic OVA if I recall. Also I don't think tails is portrayed as actually smarter than robotnik but likes to think he is I guess? It gives him more of a male aspect to him. Robotnik has always been kind of silly despite having the higher IQ according to his descriptions(See sonic OVA again)

Edit: The zeti's do kind of suck though I agree

I'm not sure you can compare them with the classics apart from it being tied into an act, the classic ones were easy to an extent but not pushovers like what I'm seeing here. The bosses best remind me of Sonic CD rather than the ones on the Mega Drive.
I guess you could compare them to sonic cd's bosses yeah. I don't have a big problem with them personally, I just hope to see robotnik as a villain again in the style of the classics. Less chasing and more of what we see in sonic lost world. I like at least that it's not 2 types of bosses getting re used 3 times like was the case in colors and unleashed. Sonic generations did it a little bit better but still too much chasing imo.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:01:06 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2013, 02:09:30 pm »
Isn't sonic not being too bright and silly kind of his thing though? I mean he certainly was in the sonic OVA if I recall. Also I don't think tails is portrayed as actually smarter than robotnik but likes to think he is I guess? It gives him more of a male aspect to him. Robotnik has always been kind of silly despite having the higher IQ according to his descriptions(See sonic OVA again)

Edit: The zeti's do kind of suck though I agree

I've always taken Sonic to be more of average intellect, these days he seems to have lower than average IQ. And whilst both Sonic and Robotnik were silly in Sonic OVA, but being silly does not mean you aren't clever, you are just not very mature.

I think between this and stretching as far back Sonic Unleashed, Tails comes off as the far clever of the two. I actually dislike the character now heh, but outside of Robotnik, none of the characters are really good anymore.

I guess you could compare them to sonic cd's bosses yeah. I don't have a big problem with them personally, I just hope to see robotnik as a villain again in the style of the classics. Less chasing and more of what we see in sonic lost world. I like at least that it's not 2 types of bosses getting re used 3 times like was the case in colors and unleashed. Sonic generations did it a little bit better but still too much chasing imo.

I actually think chasing is fine but it all depends on moderation. Doomsday Zone had a much better effect because it was the only one of its kind in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, same with the fight with Knuckles too, which even though lacked a lot stood out because it was the only character battle.

I certainly hope stationary Robotnik battles return in future games but its hard to predict with Sonic Team though I have been disappointed in the boss battles, I thought after Generations they were slowly getting back into the grove but the bosses hardly seem like battles I would hardly be itching to replay.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »
I guess the scriptwriters isn't everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't too sure about them initially but now i'm pretty alright with them. One thing I do hope is there to be a connected trilogy again with a good buildup to some epicness similar to sonic 1 > s3k.

Still haven't picked up from where I left off. I'll have a definite conclusion when i'm done with the game.

I actually think chasing is fine but it all depends on moderation. Doomsday Zone had a much better effect because it was the only one of its kind in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, same with the fight with Knuckles too, which even though lacked a lot stood out because it was the only character battle.

I certainly hope stationary Robotnik battles return in future games but its hard to predict with Sonic Team though I have been disappointed in the boss battles, I thought after Generations they were slowly getting back into the grove but the bosses hardly seem like battles I would hardly be itching to replay.
We'll probably have to agree to disagree here as well :P. Really don't see the problem with the bosses in this game. I feel like i've realised the reason why I never had issues with the bosses in the classics was because they were part of challenging acts. It has been the  case so far in lost world as well. I will say that as a whole the bar was set higher in the classics of course, but that goes without saying. I think the bar is close to sonic 1/2. Nowhere near sonic3k

Anyway, I think someone made the comparison earlier in the thread. The game reminds me a lot of sonic 3d blast. Don't know that's good or a bad thing but personally I thought sonic 3d blast didn't have the best gameplay but did a solid job in doing something different while having charm and some great music.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:44:06 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:55 pm »
I think AJ made the 3D Blast comparison. I'd equate the 3DS version with 3D Blast, mainly because the 3DS version requires X amount of animals to be freed before gaining entry to later in the level. Only difference is you don't lose animals when hit.

The Wii U version does have animal collecting as a part of unlocking stages, but not once was I held back and had to grind like in Unleashed. I found the amounts of animals needed to actually be really low. I played through the stage normally, played the circus acts as I saw them, and stages unlocked easily.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:36 am »
Wanted to add that I really enjoyed Hidden World - all four stages were enjoyable. I also liked one of the two bonus stages, though I wish that every world had a hidden stage. This game would benefit from some DLC, offering additional stages that appear throughout the map.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2013, 11:05:20 am »
I guess the scriptwriters isn't everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't too sure about them initially but now i'm pretty alright with them. One thing I do hope is there to be a connected trilogy again with a good buildup to some epicness similar to sonic 1 > s3k.

Still haven't picked up from where I left off. I'll have a definite conclusion when i'm done with the game.

I think even in terms of looking at it as a kids show it still comes off as being a bit poor. Being a lifelong fan of the Teenange Mutant Ninja Turtles, all three TV incarnations of the comic book series have not only been faithfully to the characters but had some great moments of brilliance anyone can enjoy and that's taking the fact they are all generally aimed at kids too.

And I have to disagree with a trilogy, I think one game can be epic enough if done right.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree here as well :P. Really don't see the problem with the bosses in this game. I feel like i've realised the reason why I never had issues with the bosses in the classics was because they were part of challenging acts. It has been the  case so far in lost world as well. I will say that as a whole the bar was set higher in the classics of course, but that goes without saying. I think the bar is close to sonic 1/2. Nowhere near sonic3k

Ah yeah I agree to disagree then old chum. It's just for me the bosses were pretty fun and enjoyable for the most part in the classics, with Lost World I only saw two bosses I would think "Well that looked fun" whilst the others felt pretty lame. I can understand making bosses fun is usually a tough ask these days (Probably why we have such a small amount of them too) but I would hope Sonic Team could learn the lessons and apply it here.

Funny enough it's the bosses were the boss is chiefly in the mechs that come off as looking good which would make sense since character battles has been one of the weak points for the series heh.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2013, 03:33:21 pm »
I  think anyone that likes specifically sonic 1 will enjoy Sonic lost world. I'm at the last world now. It has been an Amazing and legitimatly challenging experience. Having played more the transition from stage to stage with the cutscenes hasn't changed my mind on the cutscenes. I really like the game and I think writing the whole game off is a mistake tbh.

There's really a lot of great things in this game, mainly in the level design. It is really really well done. At least better than the sonic advance titles and that is really something. And it wouldn't be wrong if people think this game has been heavily inspired by nintendo. And you know what? I don't mind that anymore. If they can learn and start to grasp what makes good level design from nintendo and then build their own original ideas from that like is mostly the case in lost world, I want them to keep going that direction.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:38:35 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2013, 08:42:51 am »
The leveldesign on the 3DS version is absolutly terrible. wow Dimps

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:37 pm »
I tried out the Wii U demo at Target, and the controls are probably the most awkward in any Sonic game. They had such a good thing going with Unleashed and Generations controls and gameplay. Really can't imagine why they took this route.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
Unleashed was super awkward at first as well.  Plus, the boost games only gave the illusion of control via incredibly restrictive level design.  Any levels in Generations that had semi open areas were an absolute train wreck to navigate.  SLW is the first sonic game in ages where apart from some automated segments, the player is actually responsible for his actions. 

I just finished S ranking every stage last night and am humbled by how much skill was required to do so.  You have to get pretty creative to shave off those much needed seconds. 

Screw the boost games.  Hope we never go back.   

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #238 on: December 08, 2013, 03:43:22 pm »
Unleashed was super awkward at first as well.  Plus, the boost games only gave the illusion of control via incredibly restrictive level design.  Any levels in Generations that had semi open areas were an absolute train wreck to navigate.  SLW is the first sonic game in ages where apart from some automated segments, the player is actually responsible for his actions. 

I just finished S ranking every stage last night and am humbled by how much skill was required to do so.  You have to get pretty creative to shave off those much needed seconds. 

Screw the boost games.  Hope we never go back.   

After taking a week off from playing Lost World (I was playing Mario 3D World) I booted it up again today and was reminded by what you're talking about Radrappy. The game not only offers exploration, but doing so is incredibly easy to do.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2013, 08:37:58 pm »
After taking a week off from playing Lost World (I was playing Mario 3D World) I booted it up again today and was reminded by what you're talking about Radrappy. The game not only offers exploration, but doing so is incredibly easy to do.

Absolutely.  I myself am also playing 3d world and am having a blast.  Jumping between both games has afforded some valuable perspective.  A lot of the criticism about SLW aping mario and thus making the former pointless doesn't hold water at all.  SLW is still much faster and very different than 3d world in crucial ways.  And surprisingly, there are some things that SLW actually does better!  The forced isometric view made to accommodate 4 players in 3d space has kind of taken the intimacy away from 3d world.  This becomes especially apparent when you play alone.  SLW on the other hand, being built as a single player adventure from the ground up delivers a closer cropped camera that lets you play more over the character's shoulders.

Most of all though SLW still provides a gameplay flavor thats 100% unique to Sonic.