Author Topic: About the speculations of the "second gaming crash"  (Read 19349 times)

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: About the speculations of the "second gaming crash"
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
Then you're going to have to explain to me.

We literally just ended a conversation on how the MCD was responsible for Modern CD based games because it was successful, unlike the PCE outside of Japan.

But suddenly, even though the Activator was a commercial failure and Nintendo/Microsoft did more for motion controllers in consoles, both of which commercially successful, you still want to give credit to Sega despite not giving credit to NEC for the essentially being in the same position relative to the PCE vs MCD?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 11:08:03 pm »
Welcome to SEGAbits forums, where TA flip flops and facts don't matter.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 04:38:25 am »
Then you're going to have to explain to me.

We literally just ended a conversation on how the MCD was responsible for Modern CD based games because it was successful, unlike the PCE outside of Japan.

But suddenly, even though the Activator was a commercial failure and Nintendo/Microsoft did more for motion controllers in consoles, both of which commercially successful, you still want to give credit to Sega despite not giving credit to NEC for the essentially being in the same position relative to the PCE vs MCD?
Why are you soley focusing on the Activator? I included the DC controllers as well. And i'm not the one who compared it many journalists did. Why? Because the activator was released on the genesis..a popular console...meaning the Activator was quite visible as well..key word visible. Microsoft and people like their ilk would have definatly have heard of the thing and some probably wanted to progress that experience. If you think MS just came up with the Kinect without looking at past motionless controllers  when they were doing R+D than you are having a laugh, mate. 

Again when Sega of America was doing their thing with Genesis they made sure a lot of things they released was visible or memorable to the public eye..even if some apparently failed.Considering Activator came with a couple of games including EC i wouldn't call it a flop either...at least not at first. But people at that time knew of its exsistence. But hey...why believe me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780bIG6TXFk&safe=active

That's how Fing Strong Sega got back in their heyday. Anything they were releasing was lapped up by MAINSTREAM AMERICA. Or better yet Middle America..you're moms and dads..or grandparents probably. So no The Activator wasn't some peice of junk that was forgotten it was remebered by a particular generation..its only forgotten by people who came into gaming after the PSX era who were too young and stupid to understand anything. and thought sony invented gaming. So it isn't really out of any possibility that MS trying to capture the Wii market looked at what Sega did..because to many unlike you and TA still saw Sega as a pioneer in the console buisness who was ahead of their time .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:07:29 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:39 am »
And what do you expect for SOJ in that time, really...at least 4 years, 2 models, many collaborations with JVC, Pionner, Aiwa and more, even a friggin karaoke Add-on to use the CD-G function of the MCD.

Sigh... For starters I own the Mega CD Karaoke add-on  actually . Just because a system see loads of variants does not mean its a massive success . The PC Eng CD-Rom it's self saw a number if variants in it's life time. With the 3DO we had Panasonic, Goldstar, Sanyo, the Philips  CDI had a number of variants including a portable version  . Nobody is going to make out the 3DO or the CDI  were massive success stories are they ? . It was just the 90's when lots of corps were willing to produced various variants of systems .

And why you didn't point out that Kinect idea was from making a Wii out of the 360

Because its wasn't . Kinect is just a sad rip-off of SONY Eye Toy and even though I think Kinect is the best ever selling Add-On in the history of Videogames . Its software sales were rubbish and that was reflected in poor 3rd party support

The MCD was the first and only sucessful CD Rom add on console that was released and sold well in ALL of its markets worldwide

It wasn't the 1st and it didn't sell at all well in Japan, was a bit of a flop in Europe but did ok In the USA.  I love the system and while its a great system with some top games . It wasn't the 1st CD ROM and for many people they were still playing carts rather than CD for gaming in the West - That's not to say the system didn't have it merits or that it flopped . But lets not overplay how most of the gaming community saw the Mega CD
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 09:27:00 am »

It wasn't the 1st and it didn't sell at all well in Japan, was a bit of a flop
in Europe but did ok In the USA.  I love the system and while its a great
system with some top games . It wasn't the 1st CD ROM and for many people they
were still playing carts rather than CD for gaming in the West - That's not to
say the system didn't have it merits or that it flopped . But lets not overplay
how most of the gaming community saw the Mega CD

The system didn't flop. It wasn't a flop in the UK or USA and it sold enough units in japan..calling it a flop in japan is basically saying the MD flopped there..whern both had better sales than the MS. And yes it was the FIRST console cd rom ad on to be succesful worldwide..deal with it.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2014, 05:55:35 am »
The system didn't flop. It wasn't a flop in the UK or USA and it sold enough units in japan..calling it a flop in japan is basically saying the MD flopped

The MD was a bit of flop in Japan and a distant 3rd  . The Mega CD sold rubbish in Japan , In Europe SEGA sold ok levels of Hardware but the Mega CD software sales were well poor, one of the reasons why SEGA Japan dropped the likes of PS IV for the system  .It did really good in the USA (amazing on launch) but even in the USA most people were gaming on their Carts

And yes it was the FIRST console cd rom ad on to be succesful worldwide

Worldwide sales wise it's pretty even with the PC Eng CD Rom I would guess . The 1st CD based system to enjoy great sales world wide would be the SONY PS imo
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2014, 07:50:49 am »

The MD was a bit of flop in Japan and a distant 3rd  . The Mega CD sold rubbish in Japan , In Europe SEGA sold ok levels of Hardware but the Mega CD software sales were well poor, one of the reasons why SEGA Japan dropped the likes of PS IV for the system  .It did really good in the USA (amazing on launch) but even in the USA most people were gaming on their Carts

Worldwide sales wise it's pretty even with the PC Eng CD Rom I would guess . The 1st CD based system to enjoy great sales world wide would be the SONY PS imo

Not really it did well considering.Butr if you think a five year run is bad for a console ad on than be my guest....

No the PC ENGINE wasn't close worldwide and defiantly not visible or successful outside of japan.

I said CD Rom ADD on. not first cd rom based console Geez..

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2014, 08:46:59 am »
Not really it did well considering.But if you think a five year run is bad for a console ad on than be my guest

That makes it a success ? . The CD-i had a 4 year run, but I wouldn't class it as massive seller myself .

No the PC ENGINE wasn't close worldwide and defiantly not visible or successful outside of japan.

Worldwide sales of the Mega CD and CD-Rom/Duo I would put to you are about the same . The MEGA CD flopped in Japan, didn't do great in Europe and saw some decent sales in the USA. I would put to you , the only CD based system back in the day  that saw great sales in each major market was the PS

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline jogosdemotas

• Total Meseta: 0
  • I love games
    • http://jogosdemotas.org
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2014, 12:55:08 pm »
for me the best there is and always will be GTA.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2014, 06:32:16 am »

That makes it a success ? . The CD-i had a 4 year run, but I wouldn't class it as massive seller myself .

Worldwide sales of the Mega CD and CD-Rom/Duo I would put to you are about the same . The MEGA CD flopped in Japan, didn't do great in Europe and saw some decent sales in the USA. I would put to you , the only CD based system back in the day  that saw great sales in each major market was the PS

That system was hardly in the same market or available in all markets like the MEGA CD. Hardly a good comparison. The MCD sold over six million units worldwide..which is pretty good for an add on and remains Sega's best selling add on to date..