Author Topic: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?  (Read 21053 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:57 am »
I think it would have been better if they used this method instead.

- A dreamcast RPG collection with Skies of arcadia/timestalkers or any other rpg for one collection at 60 bucks. It would be totally worth it for Skies of arcadia alone.

- A sonic collection with all dreamcast sonic games for 60 bucks.

- A Dreamcast Shenmue 1 and 2 collection for 60 bucks would be worth it too.

-
A fighting collection with powerstone 1 and 2, fighting vipers, virtua fighter.

- A dancing collection with samba de amigo and space channel part 1 and 2 and more if they exist.

And so on. That would be a lot more apealing than having a mixed bag. But since they've started it allready, there's no going back. This way you wouldn't buy a collection for 1 game. For example i'd love a sonic collection as a whole, but SEGA bass fishing, crazy taxy are not games that would make the full price worth it for me
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »
No, it isn't to late. I like what you are saying an rpg collection containing Shenmue (WS, 1, & 2) + Skies of Arcadia would be well worth any price tag.

You could even have Yu Suzuki's Dreamcast Collection featuring 18 Wheeler, VF3, FV2 (shit game, (by the way)), Ferrari 355 Challenge (without Ferrari though as they probably lack the license :P).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
-[/b] A fighting collection with powerstone 1 and 2, fighting vipers, virtua fighter.

Great ideas on them all, I agree. Themed collections would have been great. However, there is no way SEGA could release Power Stone 1&2 as those are Capcom games.

Thinking about it though, with Sonic Adventure being on the disc, that makes SA2 the only 3D Sonic game not on an XBOX/XBOX 360 disc (with the exception of Sonic Colors, though who knows what could happen in the future). Couple that with Sonic's Genesis Collection and one could own just about every main series game on one console.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
What the Hell is wrong with some people? It is a $30 collection of 4 games. Is it that big of a deal? Seriously?

Never underestimate the power of Internet douchebaggery...

Also don't forget the one sacred rule: Everything Sega does is wrong.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
No, it isn't to late. I like what you are saying an rpg collection containing Shenmue (WS, 1, & 2) + Skies of Arcadia would be well worth any price tag.

You could even have Yu Suzuki's Dreamcast Collection featuring 18 Wheeler, VF3, FV2 (shit game, (by the way)), Ferrari 355 Challenge (without Ferrari though as they probably lack the license :P).
That would be excellent. A racing pack would be cool too, with SEGA really, 18 wheeler and tokyo extreme racing. I don't know with what Jet set radio would fit in though :| . hmmmm *thinks*.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »
JSR could be packed in with some of the more oddball titles, like Space Channel 5 Part 1, Chu Chu Rocket and Floigan Bros.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 01:41:08 am »
I wouldn't mind so much if they waited and added a few more titles to it, but not even just that but holy crap what an eclectic group of games. It's like they just pulled four random ones out of a hat.

Not to mention the games overall just seem weak; Bass Fishing is just retarded without motion control, Crazy Taxi is a horrible port, Sonic Adventure wasn't great either I heard (although not as bad too probably). Not sure how Space Channel 5 fared though.

Not to mention this kind of backlash (which I could see coming) isn't going to help SEGA's image in the slightest, and it's already in the fucking toilet as it is.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:32 am »
Cube, what's shitty about Fighting Vipers 2?
I quite enjoyed it myself, sure it wasn't the most graphically impressive Model 3 game but it was more than playable...

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 06:12:35 am »
I was expecting a game on par with Virtua Fighter 3 if not better.

Unfortunately the little I played was well below Tekken 2. I invested dearly in the game, I flew to England to buy it! Played it a maximum of half an hour and never played it again.

I don't plan to either! I really hate it and have no sympathy for it, before anybody says anything to me bare in mind it didn't clear SOA quality control.

If you're an old-school Sega fan, chances are good that you've logged some time with the original Fighting Vipers. Featuring enclosed fighting arenas and campy character designs, FV was a refreshing ¿ and slightly weird ¿ take on the 3D fighting explosion of the late Nineties. After the success of Virtua Fighter 3, AM2 decided to take another crack at the FV series, and introduced a Model 3-based sequel in 1997. This game appeared in Japanese arcades, then vanished without a trace, barely registering as a blip on American gaming radar. Three years later, Fighting Vipers 2 has finally appeared on the Sega Dreamcast. Was it worth the wait? No.

This game came out after Virtua Fighter 3, Tekken 3, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs Capcom (1 & 2), Project Justice and several more, this game is the worst fighter on Dreamcast.

Offline AshleyAshes

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:21 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Thinking about it though, with Sonic Adventure being on the disc, that makes SA2 the only 3D Sonic game not on an XBOX/XBOX 360 disc (with the exception of Sonic Colors, though who knows what could happen in the future). Couple that with Sonic's Genesis Collection and one could own just about every main series game on one console.

I was thinking that Dreamcast decals for the 360 would be cool.  Not just logos, but a faux outline of the top of the Dreamcast that you could stick ot the top of a horizontal Xbox 360, so it looks like it has the top loader drive and the power buttons and all. :)

Offline Cox_of_Seagulls

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:23 am »
Is there any reason why Chu Chu Rocket isn't on XBLA and PSN right now? It would suit those services perfectly.

But instead, Sega gives us Bass Fishing.

Okay then.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
I was expecting a game on par with Virtua Fighter 3 if not better.

Unfortunately the little I played was well below Tekken 2. I invested dearly in the game, I flew to England to buy it! Played it a maximum of half an hour and never played it again.

I don't plan to either! I really hate it and have no sympathy for it, before anybody says anything to me bare in mind it didn't clear SOA quality control.

If you're an old-school Sega fan, chances are good that you've logged some time with the original Fighting Vipers. Featuring enclosed fighting arenas and campy character designs, FV was a refreshing ¿ and slightly weird ¿ take on the 3D fighting explosion of the late Nineties. After the success of Virtua Fighter 3, AM2 decided to take another crack at the FV series, and introduced a Model 3-based sequel in 1997. This game appeared in Japanese arcades, then vanished without a trace, barely registering as a blip on American gaming radar. Three years later, Fighting Vipers 2 has finally appeared on the Sega Dreamcast. Was it worth the wait? No.

This game came out after Virtua Fighter 3, Tekken 3, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Street Fighter 3, Marvel vs Capcom (1 & 2), Project Justice and several more, this game is the worst fighter on Dreamcast.

Cube, all of the games you mention are ports of Arcade games, all of which came out at least a year, if not several years, after the Arcade version of Fighting Vipers 2.

The idea that you are comparing the quality of a port of what was already an old game (from 1997) to games that were actually initially developed in the Year 2000 strikes seems somewhat unreasonable.

Fighting Vipers 2 was released in 1997.
Soul Calibur was released in Arcades in 1998.

Marvel VS Capcom 1 was released in 1998.
Project Justice was released in 2000.
Marvel VS Capcom 2 - 2000.

The fact that it didn't pass SOA quality control means nothing, incase you don't remember back in the era of Saturn, virtually every decent Saturn game in existence did not pass SOA quality control.
SOA has to take into account what they think holds the potential to sell in an American market, and I guess girls fighting with giant robot teddy on her back didn't seem such a great idea to them.

Virtual On 2 was never brought over by SOA either, Activision were the ones who ended up acquiring rights to that game.

Fighting Vipers 2 is by no means an excellent fighting game of course, but the character designs, stages and such easily make it worth a shot and it certainly isn't to any notable degree a worse game than the original... perhaps other than the soundtrack not being quite as memorable.

Additionally, the fact that you flew all the way to England to buy a game and got disappointed is quite funny.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2011, 07:15:11 am »
While some are calling the Dreamcast Collection disc a random grab bag, I should point out that three of the four games (Space Channel 5 not included) were in the SEGA All-Stars best sellers collection. Other titles in that collection included WSB 2k1, HOTD2, NFL 2k, Virtua Tennis, NHL 2k and NBA 2k. So, uh... yeah.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:57 am »
I'm disappointed in SEGA. After seeing stuff like Rez HD, they deliver sub par shit. Seriously, why can't SEGA just go in and do something like that, take HD in the end of the title? I know it 'costs' a bit more, but what is the point of having a whole branch just for digital games if you won't put in extra effort into your content?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2011, 12:16:44 pm »
@ George: When it costs a bit more usually it would ROI a bit more as well.

Quote from: "ImSmartUrDum"

Cube, all of the games you mention are ports of Arcade games, all of which came out at least a year, if not several years, after the Arcade version of Fighting Vipers 2.

The idea that you are comparing the quality of a port of what was already an old game (from 1997) to games that were actually initially developed in the Year 2000 strikes seems somewhat unreasonable.

I am looking at the date it was ported to Dreamcast.

The Arcade build of Soul Calibur and Dreamcast build clearly illustrates what the game should have offered, instead it is a few notches below Arcade Perfect. I payed good money, like 10 or 15 pounds for this garbage, I got Shenmue 2 for 20 Pounds.