Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 164175 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #435 on: November 05, 2011, 02:12:48 am »
two questions sharky

-what did you think of the final boss (or the bosses in general)

-do you think it's a higher quality/more satisfying game than colors?

I think if I had to review generations, I'd lean more towards a high six or a low seven out of ten.  It just isn't polished enough to deserve higher.  So much squandered opportunity.  But I am enjoying it a lot right now.     

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #436 on: November 05, 2011, 06:09:58 am »
The game truly shined when I reached Sky Sanctuary! The level design is great Modern & Classic wise!!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #437 on: November 05, 2011, 08:28:29 am »
The game truly shined when I reached Sky Sanctuary! The level design is great Modern & Classic wise!!

So true! When I got to that stage I had the same feeling that I had when playing SA1. I thought to myself: "So I can go here, or there, or there?! So many paths!"

I actually have been replaying the game in explorer mode. I have all the skills equipped that allow me to retain rings so I can explore the stages at a slow pace.

I've yet to figure out the Treasure Hunter skill. :P

In the next game, I'd love to have the ability to call on friends in main stages. Sort of like Sonic Advance 3. I'd also like to see Tails and Knux playable in the next game. Not in main stages, but give them a few missions each.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #438 on: November 05, 2011, 11:45:36 am »
After a good amount of time with this game I can honestly say it is one of my favorites in the Sonic series as well as one of my favorite games I've ever played.

I truly loved this game. It was a total ball from start to finish and I'm still having loads of fun getting S ranks and trying to beat all the challenges!

There are just so many cool moments to like with the Goal Post flying away from you in one of Classic Sonic's levels and the reveal of the true foe.  I can't express enough how much I've enjoyed Sonic Generations.
 :D
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #439 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:35 pm »
I really can't figure out some of the reviews for this game. Xbox magazine gave it a pitiful four paragraph review which told me absolutely nothing about the game. Instead, I get nuggests like this:

Unfortunately, only a third of the game is dedicated to re-creating Genesis-era stages, and classics like Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic 3D aren't represented at all.

Are they joking? I mean honestly, they're going to complain that the five year Genesis period only represents a third of the game when it's clearly a history of the entire series? I know it's been complained about before, but seriously, how is this a legitimate complaint? It isn't as though the levels in question are bad for Christ sake. It seems the reviewers are blatantly crucifying this game because of other games.

Theyre admitting that, sure the game is fun, but sonic 06 was shit, and according to the transitive property of games with Sega logos, if one game sucked, they all do. Honestly. And then they have the gall to call Sonic 3D a classic? I honestly think they're just talking out of their asses. I doubt a quarter of the people reviewing the game even bothered play it. They clearly never played Sonic 3D, and were just grasping for a megadrive game that wasn't sonic 3 to complain about.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #440 on: November 05, 2011, 03:22:56 pm »
I'm a big time classic fan. I have a shelf full of pre-1998 merch. Sonic 1-3&K are my top four favorite Sonic games of the series. BUT I totally get that classic Sonic accounts for only 7 of the 20 years Sonic has existed. Despite Generations touting half classic/half modern gameplay, I understand why the Genesis era accounts for a third of the game rather than half. Because like it or not, there are more "modern" games than classic. People just need to accept that. I mean, I think of the Adventure titles as classic, in the sense that they were on SEGA hardware and were of the first ten years.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #441 on: November 05, 2011, 06:47:49 pm »
Some screenshots of the PC version on full settings at 1080p. It's planet wisp for those who don't wanna be spoiled on anything, I guess it's not much of a spoiling but just as a warning.

Modern Planet wisp 1
Modern Planet wisp 2
Modern Planet wisp 3

Edit some more:

Perfect chaos 1
Perfect chaos 2(lol)
Perfect chaos 3

And some classic spice.

Sky sanctuary 1
Sky sanctuary 2
Sky sancruary 3

U jelly?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:32:47 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #442 on: November 05, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »
two questions sharky

-what did you think of the final boss (or the bosses in general)

-do you think it's a higher quality/more satisfying game than colors?

I think if I had to review generations, I'd lean more towards a high six or a low seven out of ten.  It just isn't polished enough to deserve higher.  So much squandered opportunity.  But I am enjoying it a lot right now.   

The final boss was pretty crap, the second worst part of the game in fact. Only second to the mission with Vector where you have to knock notes back at him... That was really crap.
But neither were enough to bring my enjoyment of the overall game down.

The controls are certainly tighter on Generations which counts for a lot, the script jokes were much better in generations and of course all the throw backs, the sound track and everything else that gets the nostalgia flowing worked in Generations favour so Generations probably takes the crown.
(In the modern parts there is also a lot more free roaming, Sonic Adventure style segments in Generations which really added to the fun.)

That said, I loved Sonic Colours for what it was- a Sonic platformer trying to do something different and for once doing it really, really well. The Wisp powers were great fun.

I don't think there was much missed oppertunitly at all I think they went above and beyond what I expected with fan service from the music, to elemental sheilds, I love the missions where you have to free the animals from the capsules or play keep up with the goal post... Fantastic throw backs.

Even some of the coop mini games were good, loved the Espio one where you had to swing like a ninja.

I found the positives with the game out weighed the negitives by a huge margin.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:32:27 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Pao

« Reply #443 on: November 05, 2011, 11:33:37 pm »
Finished it, really great game! I'd say its probably the best 3D Sonic game! Its still rough around the edges though...

The way modern Sonic controls, the camera, and general level design need to improve dramatically, I kept falling in bottomless pits because of a miss timed homing attack or a glitched boost... They seriously need to change that.

Overall my favorite levels are:

Crisis City
Speed Highway
Sky Sanctuary
Rooftop Run

Least favorite levels are:

Seaside Hill
Planet Wisp
City Escape

Man, I gotta talk about Crisis City! Because it was the highlight of the game for me... Sonic team should look back and study this level carefully when designing the next Sonic game... The level had a LOT of great 3D platforming!!... Then midway, we got segments of great 2D platforming as well... and at the end it was boosting/drifting... the pace of that level was intense! I hope that the DLC has levels built like that.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #444 on: November 06, 2011, 02:16:18 am »
Game is bloody amazing and the best non Mario Platform game I've played in a long time and hands down the best 3D sonic since Sonic Adv 1. The graphics are stunning with tons of little touches (love the water effect on Chemical zone) the presentation 1st class and its nice to see a game ready to make fun of its self and not take it's self too seriously , the music is nice and some of the level design quite inspired and at last Sonic Team have nailed down the controls and jumping in a 3D game (so much improved over even the latest demo)

Pretty awesome stuff and the Collectors Edition is one of the better ones too.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Pao

« Reply #445 on: November 06, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »
Some of the challenges are better than the actual Acts, no exaggeration!

I'd say 95% of the challenges are very good in this game! I heard someone complaining that they are all filler crap, but I was pleasantly surprised when I played them, they have a lot of genuine great platforming, especially for Classic Sonic.

Any word on the modding front? Is it mod friendly or what?

EDIT: Nevermind, it begins...  8)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:15:20 pm by Pao »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #446 on: November 06, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »
Some of the challenges are better than the actual Acts, no exaggeration!

I'd say 95% of the challenges are very good in this game! I heard someone complaining that they are all filler crap, but I was pleasantly surprised when I played them, they have a lot of genuine great platforming, especially for Classic Sonic.

Missions are leagues better than the extra acts in Colors. I could actually see myself returning to play most of them, and they're rightfully optional and separate from the main two acts. Thats one thing I disliked about colors, 6-7 acts sounds great on paper, but in practice it's annoying as I don't know what I'm getting myself into when selecting an act. All I know is the first act is a proper level, and any other may or may not be a puzzle/mission.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #447 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
I agree with Barry, much prefer the missions in Generations then the shorter extra required acts in Colors. They are almost the same thing, except in Generations they aren't required and most of them are longer / more unique.

Them not being required means Sonic Team can actually give them a decent challenge, which I like xD. I noticed one of the Rooftop run missions was a boost mission. Reminded me of Sonic Unleashed gameplay completely, I thought it was a cool throw back. I like Unleashed gameplay, just not for the whole game xD boosting and crashing into spikes gets boring fast.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:36:36 pm by ShadiNeko »

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #448 on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:39 pm »
yeah i think the challenges in this game are pretty enjoyable and some of them actually remarkable.

Man, I gotta talk about Crisis City! Because it was the highlight of the game for me... Sonic team should look back and study this level carefully when designing the next Sonic game... The level had a LOT of great 3D platforming!!... Then midway, we got segments of great 2D platforming as well...

i have to disagree here, for me it was the worst level in the game.
very basic design with lots of homing-attacks!
but in the opposite side the classic ver was surprisingly one of the best levels in the game.

here is my list for the best levels in the game:

Classic
1 - Speed Highway
2 - Sky Sanctuary
3 - Rooftop Run
4 - Crisis City
5 - Seaside hill
6 - Planet Wisp
7 - chemical Plant
8 - City Escape
9 - Green Hill

Modern
1 - Sky Sanctuary
2 - Speed Highway
3 - Rooftop Run
4 - Seaside Hill
5 - Chemical Plant
6 - Planet Wisp
7 - Green Hill
8 - City Escape
9 - Crisis City

so in conclusion i enjoyed Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway and Rooftop Run the most. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:59:07 pm by Suzuki Yu »

Offline Pao

« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2011, 12:30:55 pm »
i have to disagree here, for me it was the worst level in the game.
very basic design with lots of homing-attacks!
Really? I thought it was the best,  I really don't see how its basic compared to other stages, and the homing attack was just as common in the every level too.

I think the main reason why I liked Crisis City (Sky Sanctuary too!) is that it doesn't ignore 3D platforming in a 3D platformer. Yes, it might be basic platforming compared to other games, but its still better than having to play it entirely in 2D (Planet Wisp).

Planet Wisp is the one level I didn't like both Modern and Classic.  I have yet to finish the challenge Doppelganger  in Classic Sonic because its very tedious and long. -__-