Author Topic: Sony's E3 Media Briefing 2012  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Sony's E3 Media Briefing 2012
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:46 am »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlcXHPWJso[/youtube]

It happened. It can't unhappen. What did you all think?

"OMG Barry, merge the three E3 threads into one!"

No.

"Then make a general E3 thread."

You make it, you have the power to make topics. Make a general E3 thread right now. The big three will still have their dedicated topics, you can make your own general E3 thread for third party stuff and multi-platform releases.

"O-okay..."

Done.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Sony's E3 Media Briefing 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
The Last of Us looks pretty wild.
You don't see non-regenerating health bars much anymore. Great presentation.

The free PS Plus games are a nice bonus. Not as if I wasn't going to get Virtua Fighter 5 today anyway, but free is nice. Hard Corps Uprising too :D.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:48 am »
I didn't get to watch it yet, but the the highlights don't seem too encouraging.

Last of Us does look great, but the demo shown had me questioning the motives of the protagonists. I get that they're lost in a world gone mad, but it seemed like they were the true aggressors. That would actually be a great twist for the end.

Hard Corps Uprising too :D.

That game was spawned from demon's blood.  >:(

Offline SOUP

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:27 am »
I didn't get to watch it yet, but the the highlights don't seem too encouraging.

Last of Us does look great, but the demo shown had me questioning the motives of the protagonists. I get that they're lost in a world gone mad, but it seemed like they were the true aggressors. That would actually be a great twist for the end.

That game was spawned from demon's blood.  >:(
Like an I Am Legend situation?

Was Hard Corps Uprising not good?

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:16:57 am »
Like an ****** situation?

Exactly.  ;D

Was Hard Corps Uprising not good?

It's great, but it's the most punishing Contra-style game I've ever been pummeled by.  :'(

Offline SOUP

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »
Good to know.
Do you gain extra lives and continues for failing multiple times, or is it one of those games where I won't see the 4th stage?

Offline segaismysavior

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:18 pm »
Good to know.
Do you gain extra lives and continues for failing multiple times, or is it one of those games where I won't see the 4th stage?

Uprising mode lets you upgrade your characters and give them better moves, more health, more lives. The highway level might be the 5th level, and I've yet to complete it. Way too much going on, though I get a good laugh out of how ridiculously unfair it is.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »
Looks like I'll be sticking with Uprising Mode  8).

Not that I have any expectation of beating it. I still haven't managed to finish Contra III or 4.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:35 pm »
I'll give my impressions of this:
- Why did Sony wait till after showing gameplay to reveal Drake and Big Daddy for Playstation All Stars Battle Royale? We already knew pretty much everything they talked about it beforehand.
- Playstation Plus seems to have good offers.
- Wonderbook is Sony's Nintendo Land in game being shown way longer than it needed to be.
- The Last of Us is intriguing, I'll give them that.
- They barely did anything to improve the Vita's image.
- lol at how Move was skimmed over.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »
Yeah. Quite odd that they didn't focus on the Vita more.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:51 am »
I'll be honest, I've never ever been excited with the Vita, even though the PSP(go) became my favorite portable of all time (sans Game Gear).

Almost 2 years ago I posted somewhere saying "Vita won't appeal to anyone. The reason is that every experience you can get with the Vita you're already getting with the PSP"
Everyone mocked me, but well.. here we are.

Truth is the best Vita games are basically the same as the PSP ones.
Wipeout is wipeout.
Lumines is lumines.
Ridge Racer is Ridge Racer. And so on.

There is no new experience. Just better graphics. The Vita certainly has power for more but not at launch, and certainly not while it costs 250 euros + extremely limited 3G data plan.

Sony isn't feeling any pressure from Nintendo cause their 3DS is even dumber. So I'm guessing a price drop near holidays, and a new data plan come new years? Maybe a redesign?

As soon as I can get a portable PS3 with unlimited online gaming on the go for less than 200 euros, I'll get it. As so will everybody else.
Right now though, Sony is doing well on not going all out on the Vita. People who want it bad already have it.
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »
Sony has been the clear winner as far as consoles devs go. Thought menthinks it's not going to do much to help them in the long run.
Their stage show was exactly what a game show should've been. Apart from the bizarre Wonderbook thing, it was good. Thought I'm starting to sense Sony getting into that same rut as Microsoft is. The Last Guardian is pretty much gone, for no apparent reason. And they have a lot riding on God of War. The Last of Us was impressive. Though I'm still not completely sure how some of the ingame stuff works, as far as input goes.

I mean, at one point in the demo the main hero is wrestling another guy for the shotgun handle. How is that supossed to work exactly? I smell QTE...

Offline SOUP

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:05 am »
The Last Guardian is pretty much gone, for no apparent reason.

In an interview with IGN on Podcast Beyond, Shuhei Yoshida said they're very dedicated to finishing the game properly, and don't want to release it until all the technical issues are worked out in it. I guess the idea is, that if it's not coming out this fall/winter, they're better off spending E3 focusing on the games that are.
They'd probably be more likely to show something on it at TGS anyway.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:41 am »
Well, that is true. Generally speaking, most of the games that are shown at E3 are going to get a release within the actual year.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:33 am »
As it stands right now, it seems like this fall is going to be pretty sparse for all the consoles.