Author Topic: What are your hopes for SEGA's "digital-centric" future?  (Read 8621 times)

Offline SaturnineNights

• Total Meseta: 0
What are your hopes for SEGA's "digital-centric" future?
« on: July 07, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »
SEGA seems to be in the process of repositioning itself as a digital distributor (SEGA Networks), and seems to be devoting more attention to their back catalog (SEGA Heritage).  Do you think this is a smart move, and what would be your dream release from SEGA Heritage?

For me, a Panzer Dragoon collection would be really nice. I know PDS is never going to get a rerelease, but the first two would be wonderful.  Also, Burning Rangers would be great, it's never really gotten its due.

Some of the North American first-party releases would be nice too, Mr. Bones and Astal (That's NA, right?) are really fun games. Oh, and Shenmue would be sorta neat, I guess...  ;)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: What are your hopes for SEGA's "digital-centric" future?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:44:57 pm »
Digital is a smart move, but they should not solely rely on "old" games, this would be a disastrous move in the long run when they find out they've ported everything and nothing is left to exploit anymore from their past. It should be combination of a solid retail business with solid titles (Perhaps the odd risks every once in a while) new digital releases and of course updated port.

For me though I am more interested in the arcade games that never came out here. This is not one I am sure many would care about, but it's one I want to see released since it was Yu Suzuki's last game he made at SEGA before he left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZ9_E2V8xY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tUm5BWTPYM

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:06:01 pm »
My hopes, honestly... none that I can think off.

There's a treasure trove of goodies from the late 90's that SEGA can and should capitilize. But that's up to the suits over at SEGA-Sammy.

I would be all for marching in and demanding an HD re-release of Skies of Arcadia. Shenmue, OK, I'm not not going to touch that, not for one second.

There's a bunch of stuff that I want to see...

Hopefully, a third Sonic 4 episode. Seeing what else SEGA could do with IPs like Hell Yeah, which hopefully will be sucessful.

But with the digital stuff, please at least give us the option to buy boxed copies of SEGA's digital releases.

I just hope they don't give up on the large scale tentpole projects either. The world needs Binary Domain, it needs Yakuza games, it needs a major HD Sonic game, it needs bigger titles that stand out. It needs JRPGs.

Port Gameboy Advance games to Android/iPhone. I would love to play an Android version of Shining Force: The Ressurection of Dark Dragon.

That's all I'm asking...

As with everything else: Hope for best... Expect the worst.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:58:08 pm »
I like it. The Sega Heritage line is a perfect way to drum up interest in old IP's to make them relevant for continuing the series down the road.

Think about it, would a new Jet Set Radio sell well now, or after they remind everyone why it was great to start with through the HD remake?

Ditto with Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, Nights, and of course Shenmue!

Hopefully, this means some of the Genesis era IP's will get some of the 'Bionic Commando' treatment in the way of HD remakes with enhanced graphics and sound. Alien Soldier, anyone?

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:00:16 pm »
I'd love to see:

Dynamite Dekka/Die Hard Arcade (Saturn)
Panzer Dragoon/Zwei/Saga (Saturn)
The House of the Dead (arcade)
Ollie King (arcade)
Rambo (arcade)
and pretty much whatever other arcade titles that haven't seen a home release.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:46:32 pm »
It's pretty obvious what I want: More PC, I want VF 5: FS on PC the most right now though. In terms of hopes I'd love to see Sega restart Heat.net in a newer modern form, or something like that.

Obviously anticipating a western launch date for PSO 2 as well, that's POing me.

Offline batfax

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:14:12 am »
PSO2 outside Japan, some classic re-releases (particular some of those hard to get Saturn titles like Panzer Dragon Saga or Burning Rangers), and some new IP experimentation.

edit: Off to a good start.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:59:48 am by batfax »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:58 am »
I'm all for Digital Sega! Based on the recent re-released classics like Guardian Heroes, After Burner Climax, REZ HD, Daytona USA, Sonic CD, Virtua Fighter 5: FS, Space Channel 5 :P2, House of the Dead 4 and even Monster World 4 translated etc not to mention Jet Set Radio and NiGHTS on the way. Digital Sega is best Sega.

I'm totally down for more of this, Segas classic games are the reason we are all Sega fans, if they are all brought back as lovingly as these have been I'm so down for it. Even more so if it means theres a possibility of a sequal!

As Aki said, I would also love to see perfect console ports of Arcade games we never got. I'm looking at Ollie King, Wild Riders, 2Spicy, Virtua Cop 3, Shining Force Cross Raid and of course Border Break! (many more too)

Then there is the new releases, I /loved/ Renegade Ops, I want more! I'm also very excited about The Cave as Monkey Island has always been one of my favourite non-Sega series. I would like Sega to get behind some of the best indie games plus release some new AAA games for digital, like PSO2.

Classic Game highlights I would love to see brought back for digital release:
Shenmue 1&2 (of course)
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon, PD:Zwei, PD:Saga, PD Orta
O.TO.GI 1 & 2 - (loved these games so much.)
Shining Force 3 Part 1,2,3
Dragon Force 1,2
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (common Sega!)

Also, I've always drempt of an online version of Dragon Force where everyone plays togeather across a huge world creating kingdoms and battling each other for land. They kind of did this on the N-Gage with 'Pocket Kingdom' (anyone remember that?) but I want that idea brought back and revamped. Would be so awesome.
Made by SEGA

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:27 am »
I just don't really see the thrill of re-buying and re-playing games I've already owned and played. Though I guess I'm alone in that.

My hopes obviously are that Sega won't simply become Atari and rely almost entirely on their back catalogue for any sort of relevance or survival. I'd love to see a new Jet Set Radio game instead of just a port of an old one and I worry that smaller budgets for digital games would make full-on sequels to any of these (or at least sequels of the same/greater scope and quality) far less likely.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:00:25 am by -nSega54- »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:01 am »
Well my wishes are steam related mostly. I want final showdown on my pc, i want vanquish and resonance of fate On pc. I want valkyria chronicles on pc. I want everything!!!!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:41 am »
Well my wishes are steam related mostly. I want final showdown on my pc, i want vanquish and resonance of fate On pc. I want valkyria chronicles on pc. I want everything!!!!

Definately. Valkyria Chronicles should be ported to the PC. SEGA's got a good team doing these ports (judging by what I played of the respective PC demos for Sonic Generations and Binary Domain), put 'em to work!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:31 am »

My hopes, honestly... none that I can think off.

There's a treasure trove of goodies from the late 90's that SEGA can and should capitilize. But that's up to the suits over at SEGA-Sammy.

But with the digital stuff, please at least give us the option to buy boxed copies of SEGA's digital releases.

I just hope they don't give up on the large scale tentpole projects either. The world needs Binary Domain, it needs Yakuza games, it needs a major HD Sonic game, it needs bigger titles that stand out. It needs JRPGs.

Port Gameboy Advance games to Android/iPhone. I would love to play an Android version of Shining Force: The Ressurection of Dark Dragon.

That's all I'm asking...

As with everything else: Hope for best... Expect the worst.

I'm all for Digital Sega! Based on the recent re-released classics like Guardian Heroes, After Burner Climax, REZ HD, Daytona USA, Sonic CD, Virtua Fighter 5: FS, Space Channel 5 :P2, House of the Dead 4 and even Monster World 4 translated etc not to mention Jet Set Radio and NiGHTS on the way. Digital Sega is best Sega.

I'm totally down for more of this, Segas classic games are the reason we are all Sega fans, if they are all brought back as lovingly as these have been I'm so down for it. Even more so if it means theres a possibility of a sequal!

As Aki said, I would also love to see perfect console ports of Arcade games we never got. I'm looking at Ollie King, Wild Riders, 2Spicy, Virtua Cop 3, Shining Force Cross Raid and of course Border Break! (many more too)

Then there is the new releases, I /loved/ Renegade Ops, I want more! I'm also very excited about The Cave as Monkey Island has always been one of my favourite non-Sega series. I would like Sega to get behind some of the best indie games plus release some new AAA games for digital, like PSO2.

Classic Game highlights I would love to see brought back for digital release:
Shenmue 1&2 (of course)
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon, PD:Zwei, PD:Saga, PD Orta
O.TO.GI 1 & 2 - (loved these games so much.)
Shining Force 3 Part 1,2,3
Dragon Force 1,2
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (common Sega!)

Also, I've always drempt of an online version of Dragon Force where everyone plays togeather across a huge world creating kingdoms and battling each other for land. They kind of did this on the N-Gage with 'Pocket Kingdom' (anyone remember that?) but I want that idea brought back and revamped. Would be so awesome.

I think these two comments kinda show the hope and reality of Sega's digital entry.
The problem isnt with the content per say but the will to manage the content correctly. And that's been the problem. Sega just cant seem to market their games properly, they are not ultilising their back catlogue or their other game assets properly either. It makes no difference if they remained on physical box format or going completly digital, if they haven't learnt from the problems that they have it will still plauge them on whatever format they decide to support. Far as i can see the thankless mess of the consumer division has been and gotten worse and worse. Thank goodness for arcades.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:43 pm »
As the digital market becomes more and more expansive, Sega will soon run into the same problems that they are now; their lack of marketing ability ensures that their games are lost in the shuffle.

*My hope* is that Sega utilizes this market to release some incredible and risky new IP that otherwise may have been too big a gamble to place in boxed format. Maybe, if these are good enough, they'll help get some exposure, but Sega also needs to boost their marketing.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 04:09:05 pm »
I just don't really see the thrill of re-buying and re-playing games I've already owned and played. Though I guess I'm alone in that.

My hopes obviously are that Sega won't simply become Atari and rely almost entirely on their back catalogue for any sort of relevance or survival. I'd love to see a new Jet Set Radio game instead of just a port of an old one and I worry that smaller budgets for digital games would make full-on sequels to any of these (or at least sequels of the same/greater scope and quality) far less likely.

I agree with you, I want a mix of new franchises, new entries of old franchises and re-releases too!

I mentioned this in my thread but yeah...they need to expand on their catalogue really and should market them.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:00 am »
As the digital market becomes more and more expansive, Sega will soon run into the same problems that they are now; their lack of marketing ability ensures that their games are lost in the shuffle.

*My hope* is that Sega utilizes this market to release some incredible and risky new IP that otherwise may have been too big a gamble to place in boxed format. Maybe, if these are good enough, they'll help get some exposure, but Sega also needs to boost their marketing.

They're already running into the same problems, for one example jumping into the pool before the pool has been filled with water. In my opinion there's no evidence that digital games/distrubution has or will overtake the traditional game market anytime soon. If anything, its the method of how people buy their games has changed with the advent of online shopping. Digital Distrubution didnt help Binary Domain's sales or some other big digital only sega games apart from the Sonic titles. No marketing meanssame results regardless of the format.