Author Topic: What are your hopes for SEGA's "digital-centric" future?  (Read 8620 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: What are your hopes for SEGA's "digital-centric" future?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:22 am »
I agree that the marketing of titles is key, but I can't agree that there's no evidence that the industry is shifting over to a predominantly digital download method of distribution.  Every console manufacturer has made huge moves over the past generation to facilitate it.  In the PC space you've got Steam, of course, and EA trying to get a piece of the pie with Origin, plus at least a dozen other download services, not to mention the mobile space.  Then you've got the emergence of streaming services, which I guarantee are going to become more and more relevant.  And the new indie console, Ouya, is going to be totally download-based.  Even the biggest brick-and-mortar retailer, Gamestop, has made moves to provide digital downloads.  Like it or not (and I don't, personally) we are in the last few years of physical game releases.  Personally I like having a bunch of shelves brimming with games.  I like to just look at them like little works of art sometimes.  But most people don't want to lug that stuff around anymore.  The only exceptions eventually will be the occasional collectors' editions, and the efforts of indie developers like the ones who have continued to support the older consoles long after their own manufacturers have moved on.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:04:23 am by Centrale »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 11:41:53 am »
I agree that the marketing of titles is key, but I can't agree that there's no evidence that the industry is shifting over to a predominantly digital download method of distribution.  Every console manufacturer has made huge moves over the past generation to facilitate it.  In the PC space you've got Steam, of course, and EA trying to get a piece of the pie with Origin, plus at least a dozen other download services, not to mention the mobile space.  Then you've got the emergence of streaming services, which I guarantee are going to become more and more relevant.  And the new indie console, Ouya, is going to be totally download-based.  Even the biggest brick-and-mortar retailer, Gamestop, has made moves to provide digital downloads.  Like it or not (and I don't, personally) we are in the last few years of physical game releases.  Personally I like having a bunch of shelves brimming with games.  I like to just look at them like little works of art sometimes.  But most people don't want to lug that stuff around anymore.  The only exceptions eventually will be the occasional collectors' editions, and the efforts of indie developers like the ones who have continued to support the older consoles long after their own manufacturers have moved on.

Yes but the consumer hasn't. Digital sales hasn't overtaken traditional box sales. Its just the method how people buy their titles that has changed which is why the high street has lost a lot of revenue in the last several years thanks to online shopping as well as the recession. none of the big guns have yet to really release a major AAA title on download exclusivily and despite what sega is doing has yet to do that themselves. If anything they're doing it because its a cheaper option. Now it may be cool and great to play these type of games on ios,vita and what have you but that isn't what the avid gamer wants to soley play or want. All this is about is trying to reach the casual consumer who wants to play that type of game and thats when they feel like downloading it. the traditional gamer, the base of the industry really wants to keep playing their 40 hour plus PC/console games in boxed editions and it would be unwise to neglect that market, especially Sega because the casual mobile consumer market is notoriously fickle.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
The traditional gamer, the base of the industry really wants to keep playing their 40 hour plus PC/console games in boxed editions and it would be unwise to neglect that market, especially Sega because the casual mobile consumer market is notoriously fickle.

I'm actually unsure whether the traditional gamer exists any more.

When you look back in decades...you have always seen a presence on the PC with the C64, Spectrum and the like of traditional gamers, as well as the console gamers...but the sales of the games have always been pretty low until you look at the sales of Wii Sports, Mario Kart and even Call of Duty!

Those sales were from the casual gamers (yes, even CoD), and like it or not...those are the main audience everyone wants now. The boxed editions will become rarer and rarer because the traditional gamers aren't a strong enough audience to cater to now...and I have read across the internet that many will even give up future gaming if the road to digital is complete with no second hand copies ever being usable on the next consoles.

I fear that the digital segment is actually going to kill the gaming industry....since the pubs/devs have too much control over it...and once they have control, they will think that "we" are the problem, and not their crappy decisions, making gaming less feasible as the casual market lose interest. (along with their money being spent elsewhere)
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:27 pm »
I'd say that digital shouldn't be dismissed entirely.....I can understand its potential and can see why it has *publishers* excited.

That said, I don't think it's at a place where it will dominate retail game sales any time soon...and I think if Sega is going to focus exclusively on digital for all but their big-name franchises, I can't help but think that the unfortunate outcome is their new franchises won't build up any userbases.

Digital services seem great for retro games; low-priced curiosities that people may want to try or re-live. DLC...again, it's a great thing for digital.

But as far as higher-priced hardcore-skewing digital games, (original content...) I just don't think there's any evidence that this is a thriving market.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »
Well Sega's focus is all bent out of shape anyway.
The reason is this, whether or not digital is the future it doesn't mean its sega's future. so getting rid of all your eggs into one basket is silly. Sega said they are only focusing on five/six key titles. This is flawed. One, Sonic TW and FM are not big in Japan or the asian markets, the latter two aren't that huge in the states either only in europe.  And apart from Sonic,Total war and Football manager which they own ALIENS is a license, and they only got it because Fox was forced to give it to them. there's no guarantee that Fox will continue the partnership after the creative assembly version is completed. if they dont then its down to four titles.

Just because digital is the cool thing does not mean Sega will be succesful at it. Was it really wise to shut all the offices and studios including the australia one especially after their developed Olympic game was a success? And shall i add the only Olympic title outside Mario and Sonic to reach that level of good sales and a number one status. I think its the first olympic based game that has held that spot if you dont count sonic and mario of course. And outside retro titles or remastered Sonic games Sega's digital presence while may be felt is not making a killing in this field, GUARDIAN HEROES and RENEGADE OPS can attest to that and they were deemed succesful. I'm not dismissing digital but Sega shouldn't dismiss the traditional form either. They should really get their bloody marketing campaign sorted out.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »
Well Sega's focus is all bent out of shape anyway.
The reason is this, whether or not digital is the future it doesn't mean its sega's future. so getting rid of all your eggs into one basket is silly. Sega said they are only focusing on five/six key titles. This is flawed. One, Sonic TW and FM are not big in Japan or the asian markets, the latter two aren't that huge in the states either only in europe.  And apart from Sonic,Total war and Football manager which they own ALIENS is a license, and they only got it because Fox was forced to give it to them. there's no guarantee that Fox will continue the partnership after the creative assembly version is completed. if they dont then its down to four titles.

Why exactly hasn't SEGA said anything about Miku or Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku given that those are SEGA's most financially successful series over in Japan and they still seem interested in making more of those games?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
In the PC space you've got Steam, of course, and EA trying to get a piece of the pie with Origin, plus at least a dozen other download services, not to mention the mobile space. 

A little stat about Electronic Arts, they went from 72 retails game in 2008 to 14 retail games and over 50 digital games in the current fiscal year. SEGA have reduced their presence dramatically but relatively is nothing compared to EA's tanking of retail. Heck Konami only has 4 retail titles left this fiscal year I believe, Square's Japan only offering is scarce... You get the idea of course. With game budgets increasing year by year, these middletier titles that made the bulk of all these publishers will vanish from retail, perhaps even altogether, as they have to pour more and more money into their big sellers.

A truly vicious cycle.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 06:54:10 am »
A little stat about Electronic Arts, they went from 72 retails game in 2008 to 14 retail games and over 50 digital games in the current fiscal year. SEGA have reduced their presence dramatically but relatively is nothing compared to EA's tanking of retail. Heck Konami only has 4 retail titles left this fiscal year I believe, Square's Japan only offering is scarce... You get the idea of course. With game budgets increasing year by year, these middletier titles that made the bulk of all these publishers will vanish from retail, perhaps even altogether, as they have to pour more and more money into their big sellers.

A truly vicious cycle.

Indeed, and I don't want B-Tier titles to disappear from the industry, as it only means either opting for the AAA game or the crappy or quality Indie game as an option.

We need those B-Tier titles for something different and unique...so it's really sad how every game pub and dev are being forced to spend bigger and bigger every year.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 11:36:07 am »
Why exactly hasn't SEGA said anything about Miku or Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku given that those are SEGA's most financially successful series over in Japan and they still seem interested in making more of those games?

Same thing, Sega doesn't own Miku, its still technically a license plus its not a game they have been able to bring over to the west...yet.