Author Topic: New 3DS thoughts and impressions thread  (Read 8387 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
New 3DS thoughts and impressions thread
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:21 am »
For me its biggest selling point is the stable 3d. Im probably one of the few who really loves the 3d. Like genuinly think it adds to the immersion. I dont use that word often but for me the 3d does really give the impression like you are looking inside the screen or occasionally see things pop out. Its a nice gimmick that adds. But like anyone knows, with the og 3ds it isnt very ideal and requires a sweet spot to get the best out of it. For me it isnt that bad, but its definitly not ideal.

I just got the mh4u n3dsxl. Firstly it looks really amazing and the build quality is so much more improved than the OG. The new 3ds stable 3d is amazing! I can move my head and there's some kind of eye tracking thing built in the camera. It even works in the dark. Its perfect

The second analogue or camera nub if you will, is really bad. It works for the camera but its not very comfortable to use. At least not on the XL I have. Im sure the small n3ds is a lot more comfortable to hold and use with the easier reach of buttons.

The new 3ds has been out for a week worldwide now. Anyone decided to get one? Any general thoughts about the n3ds are welcome too ofcourse
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:56:54 am by CrazyT »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: New 3DS thoughts and impressions thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »
I was able to try out the system at an eb last weekend. That stable 3D is damn impressive.

I was in the same boat as you CT. Loved the 3d gimmick throughout all versions of the 3DS, but hated how it required you to basically freeze your neck in position. Given that Streets of Rage 2 - 3d is on its way, I'll probably trade up on that improvement alone.

The snappy fast system menu is pretty sweet too. Haven't tried out a game that uses the nipple yet, so I have no idea how well it works. The additional shoulder button placement also seems dumb.

All that being said, they did 3D right, so they win my money.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »
I didn't mind the 'nub' but it  aint no C-stick. It worked fine, I used it in Smash and Monster Hunter 4 (demo).

Monster Hunter 4 actually looks nicer (texture wise) on the New 3DS. Thats nice.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:25:12 pm »
I've played Majoras Mask on a couple demo units and I have to force myself not to buy one. The stable 3D is fantastic, the screen quite nice (I don't own an XL), and speakers are a major improvement from what I'm used to. What stops me completely from buying one is the absurd way to change the SD card (which is now microSD), since it's now a "replace and forget about it" process, rather than having a slot and cover to keep it accessible. I'm also holding out for a potential limited run of the small New 3DS, cause the cover plates for those are fantastic. Also, if I'm spending $200 for something then it should go towards getting a PS3, which I've put off for so long and still can't justify right now.

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:15 pm »
Do you change your SD alot? IT comes with one already. I don't purchase many titles on the e-shop outside of retro games, so I don't really care about moving it out.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:43:25 am »
There's a feature which allows you to connect with the router to exchange files between computer and 3ds memory. Surprisingly this is much easier than it sounds and its crazy how nintendo hasnt mentioned this at all, anywhere. Its a big deal and pretty impressive.

You need a windows pc or laptop though. Go to system settings>data management>micro sd management.

Follow instructions from there
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:10:00 am by CrazyT »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 08:44:30 am »
Not interested in XL version. Guess I'll be waiting a while. Thanks Obama

This guy loves his new 3DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MYTjxg9L1M

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »
They aren't going to release the regular size New 3DS in America for what I hear.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 09:06:03 pm »
Yeah.. That's the only reason I'm not buying one.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:29:24 pm »
Yup. That's why I said I'll probably be waiting a while. Will probably have to import it. There is a region unlock hack, but it's still pretty early in terms of software life. Too risky right now in my opinion. Will wait until the software matures more.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 12:03:26 am »
Honestly, just get the XL, I don't see what the issue is?

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:56 am »
Honestly, just get the XL, I don't see what the issue is?

I never really cared for the feel of the XL, my wife has a blue one and it's pretty uncomfortable for me. I also thought the idea of the faceplates was awesome. I'll stock to my ltd edition ocarina of time 3ds for now
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 01:43:52 am »
I do have a feeling that the New 3DS will come over too, after they sell out of the old stock. Will faceplates make it over? Doubt it. Seems like a very Japanese add-on that won't take off here.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 05:48:14 am »
Im from eu so I could have gotten the normal n3ds. But i bought the xl thinking the screen for the new normal was just as small as the original normal one. Now that i got the new xl, holding and seeing the smaller one the other day at the shop i can honestly say that i can really understand why people are mad. Its just so much more comfortable to hold. Yet it doesnt have all the cons of the original.

I really hope it comes to the state for you guys and personally i may get one if i got money nd have nothing to spend it on. The mh4 n3dsxl is too hard to let go and sell but i may give it to my brother or something.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:50:00 am by CrazyT »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:44 pm »
Exactly what CrazyTails said. It's easy to see from pictures alone that the new 3DS is a fair bit bigger then the original 3DS. the 3DS XL i find to actually be a bit too big. Which is why I wanted to try out the normal new 3DS. oh well, not the end of the world. I really do love the form factor of Vita though. it's perfect.

I got a new faceplate for my 3DS #rebel.

the picture doesn't do it justice. Bad lighting and a bad camera.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:30:13 pm by Happy Cat »