Author Topic: SEGA files WIPO application for SEGA Interactive,Ltd.  (Read 22786 times)

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
SEGA files WIPO application for SEGA Interactive,Ltd.
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:36:41 am »
http://www.wipo.int/romarin/advSearch.do?ID=0&searchDatabasePen=on&searchString=+%2FMARKGR%2FCURRENT%2FBASGR%2FBASAPPGR%2FBASAPPN+contains+2015-015709

-
Key Descriptions: video game machines; controllers for video game machine; headphones; stand alone video output game machines; parts and accessories of arcade video game machines; apparatus for games; controllers for game consoles; arcade medal redemption game machines; arcade ticket redemption game machines; arcade game machines other than for use with television receivers; video game machines; stand alone video output game machines; parts and accessories of arcade video game machines; apparatus for games; controllers for game consoles; arcade medal redemption game machines; arcade ticket redemption game machines; arcade game machines other than for use with television receivers; fairground ride apparatus; amusement park rides; home video game machines; hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; hand-held games with liquid crystal displays;
design of machines, apparatus, instruments, parts and fittings thereof in the field of video games; graphic design; design, development and maintenance of computer program; design, development and maintenance of computer software; design, development and maintenance of web sites; development and maintenance of social networking web sites; design, development and maintenance of game programs for arcade medal redemption game machines and home video game machines; "

Things are starting to get really interesting over at the Sega tower. REALLY interesting.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:38:57 am by EnternalHope »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: SEGA files WIPO application for SEGA Interactive,Ltd.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:47 am »
Interesting, wonder what it could be about. That description tells us nothing, that is literally everything SEGA already does. Hopefully we find out more soon.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 12:31:22 pm »
Interesting, wonder what it could be about. That description tells us nothing, that is literally everything SEGA already does. Hopefully we find out more soon.

Yup and everything SEGA used to do as "Sega Enterprises,Ltd"

Sega Interactive,Ltd is SEGA's Japanese Arcade and Amusement division, yet Sega Amusements International was just announced as SEGA'S overseas Arcade and Amusement division. This means that if there's a Sega Interactive International, I'll have a completely different purpose besides Arcades.

http://recruit.sega.jp/fresh2016/vision/segainteractive/

http://sega-interactive.co.jp/

We'll learn soon what this means.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:47:53 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »
I'll tell you what it ISNT... It isn't a games console, home or handheld... No idea why people still think this will ever happen. Consoles are dying and SEGA has no chance of gaining market share from the big 3 nor do they care too.
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 02:35:00 pm »
I'll tell you what it ISNT... It isn't a games console, home or handheld... No idea why people still think this will ever happen. Consoles are dying and SEGA has no chance of gaining market share from the big 3 nor do they care too.

A WIPO/Madrid Application is not designed for one product. It's for International Business. Japanese companies apply for WIPO applications whenever they undergo brand name changes and reorganize to change business. The descriptions listed mean that the brand will be involved in some form of home consumer hardware at some point in time.
"controllers for video game machine; headphones; stand alone video output video game machines; home video game machines; hand-held games with liquid crystal displays; hand-held games with liquid crystal displays;design of machines, apparatus, instruments, parts and fittings thereof in the field of video games;stand alone output game machines; parts and accessories of arcade video game machines; apparatus for games; controllers for game consoles;"

SEGA has absolutely no interest in the current home console business. They aren't even focused on Sony and Microsoft at all. They however are interested in creating their OWN market of home consumer video gamers. Which is why they are investing into expanding their Arcade and Amusement business worldwide.

Consoles ARE dying out, which is why Sega Holdings wants to create a NEW and different market of gamers with Mobile,PC and Arcades. Creating a new and different market with a new consumer base opens the door for a new demographic.

Sega Games,Ltd is moving towards the point where they will eventually stop publishing titles for other console platforms. Its simply not very profitable and has become too competitive for them. The markets I just mentioned fare far better for Sega.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:46:47 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:22 pm »
It seems like they are simply covering all bases and possible business directions in the future. I don't see any hint that they'll actually do any of these things. I think of SEGA were to make any home hardware it might be something like a tablet... But I don't see it happening, personally.
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »
They also do Toys...tough Sega Toys is seperate.

Sega's "Amusement Machine" segment is broad. It's not just games. It's devices in venues pretty much.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
It seems like they are simply covering all bases and possible business directions in the future. I don't see any hint that they'll actually do any of these things. I think of SEGA were to make any home hardware it might be something like a tablet... But I don't see it happening, personally.

From the sounds of it, Sega possibly has been considering developing a Ultrabook style hybrid for several years or something alongside those lines. The patents and concepts can be read about on this fanmade petition:http://www.thepetitionsite.com/123/691/697/to-the-new-management-of-sega-of-america-and-sega-holdingsltd/#sign

Its something they possibly have been considering.

I'm pretty sure SEGA is moving in a new business  direction of some sort regarding their core Arcade business . The company wants to start becoming profitable in its stronger more broad markets. They wouldn't have filed the WIPO application if the option wasn't on the table and they certainly wouldn't have changed their name and completely restructured. The WIPO is when a company is serious about ideas and new market venues. Once designation takes place, the ICs & Goods & Services go into actual Worldwide commerce use.

They also do Toys...tough Sega Toys is seperate.

Sega's "Amusement Machine" segment is broad. It's not just games. It's devices in venues pretty much.

Yes, I'm aware of that. SEGA also runs Theme Parks overseas.

People keep forgetting that Sega is first and foremost an Arcade Amusement company and think all they do is publish underperforming game titles.

The core business is where all the great things like hardware come from. SEGA has never built consoles or home consumer products from the ground up.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:51:32 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 06:26:47 pm »
This was part of their April 1st restructuring: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150212_organizational%20restructuring_e_final.pdf

Wish SEGA's Amusement hardware designers got a chance to make console/PC/mobile accessories. I think it would be cool having a SEGA branded controller for new consoles that had a great D-Pad like the SEGA Saturn. Is that too much to ask for?

Isn't it weird that SEGA is expanding Arcades even tho their... like slumping?

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 06:37:22 pm »
The only sense of growing is they want to license Orbi out more into the world.

Arcades are not the focus anymore, its like their toy or animation stuff. Just sticks around, for novelty sake.

"Sega Games" is the main business, where all growth from other division is channeled through...there is a reason why the son is in charge of it...it's a successor thing.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:17 pm »

Namco Bandai and Taito have recently made very elaborate new cabinets, too - although I have no clue how many units they've manufactured.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »
The only sense of growing is they want to license Orbi out more into the world.

Arcades are not the focus anymore, its like their toy or animation stuff. Just sticks around, for novelty sake.

"Sega Games" is the main business, where all growth from other division is channeled through...there is a reason why the son is in charge of it...it's a successor thing.

Sega Games,Ltd is basically the remnants of Sega Corporation,Inc. Sega Games is a division, not Sega's main business. SEGA Holdings,Ltd is the mothership and new main holdings parent company of Sega Sammy and Kabushiki Kaisha Sega.

Arcades are indeed the MAIN focus. And still are. Also Haruki Satomi is running the Sega Games division. But Haijime Satomi & Naoya Tsurumi are STILL in charge of SEGA Holdings.

Sega is expanding its Arcade business globally because its their CORE brand and business. That's never going to change. Its they're bread and butter.

This was part of their April 1st restructuring: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20150212_organizational%20restructuring_e_final.pdf

Wish SEGA's Amusement hardware designers got a chance to make console/PC/mobile accessories. I think it would be cool having a SEGA branded controller for new consoles that had a great D-Pad like the SEGA Saturn. Is that too much to ask for?

I'm very optimistic if not excited about the new direction of SEGA. I believe they'll eventually make hardware products and accessories again. They're going to do something completely different from everyone else. SEGA always pioneered. Tried something before anyone else.

That's what excites me. SEGA doesn't have to follow everyone else. They can make a game product  stand out as completely unique,innovative  and never done before.

Don't forget the promo video on their Sega 2016 website. "Unique products no one else can create ".

SEGA is making the right steps in becoming MORE laser focused on Arcades then they ever had in 20 years. Console gaming is a former shell of itself. A souless,oversaturated cottage industry full of dry ideas and redundant franchises. Its time for an Arcade industry resurrection. I would LOVE to see Arcades make a full comeback.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:37:00 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:44:23 pm »
The future is PC. Bear with me......

Microsoft is already heading their Xbox ideal towards computers. Their vision has always been a living-room game-focused computer. With Windows 10 they are bridging the gap. SteamMachines are a first step the other way around: computers coming close to consoles.

Well, arcades these days are simply very gaming optimized PCs. Sega is pretty fucking good at this, they may as well be the best at making arcade machines right now.
Past Sega consoles based themselves in Arcade architecture (System16, Model2, NAOMI). What this is hinting at is a future with gaming-focused livingroom Sega PCs. Sega exclusives developed for these machines released at the same time for PC.

Completely shifting away from regular console development could be an intelligent move if the PC offer is good enough. They could focus development on this one platform. The games would run on a normal PC anyway, and PC games could run on the Sega machine through Steam or whatnot. But we could have dedicated Sega hardware (machine, controllers) and online infrastructure (a new age Dreamarena of sorts, think Live meets Steam).

It would be pretty nifty. Valve is pretty much doing this already, but it could be perfected.

Why would this happen though? Fresh leadership.

Something very similar just happened at Toyota recently. Toyota cars had been shallow, safe, grandad vehicles for years when the company decided to give Tetsuya Tada a chance to lead his own project.
What did he make? A fucking sports car, the GT86. A pretty good one at that, the first one in over a decade from Toyota.
The reason was a simply "wouldn't it be cool to make a sports car?"

Sega has new leadership, a young man with fresh ideas that in matter of weeks changed the company's whole philosophy (for the better!). It's not hard to imagine someone that has the love for the craft to simply start a board meeting with "wouldn't it be cool to have our own hardware again?"

I think it would be pretty cool. Although it's a very far out dream, it's not as impossible as it seems: dedicated Sega hardware, a departure from traditional consoles, a step into the true future of gaming-focused PCs
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 10:09:01 pm »
I have been ranting for awhile about PC going to eventually take over consoles, I even did a article last year about why SEGA fans should jump on PC:
http://segabits.com/blog/2014/04/24/why-its-the-perfect-time-for-sega-gamers-to-join-the-pc-master-race/

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 01:06:12 am »
The future is PC. Bear with me......

Microsoft is already heading their Xbox ideal towards computers. Their vision has always been a living-room game-focused computer. With Windows 10 they are bridging the gap. SteamMachines are a first step the other way around: computers coming close to consoles.

Well, arcades these days are simply very gaming optimized PCs. Sega is pretty fucking good at this, they may as well be the best at making arcade machines right now.
Past Sega consoles based themselves in Arcade architecture (System16, Model2, NAOMI). What this is hinting at is a future with gaming-focused livingroom Sega PCs. Sega exclusives developed for these machines released at the same time for PC.

Completely shifting away from regular console development could be an intelligent move if the PC offer is good enough. They could focus development on this one platform. The games would run on a normal PC anyway, and PC games could run on the Sega machine through Steam or whatnot. But we could have dedicated Sega hardware (machine, controllers) and online infrastructure (a new age Dreamarena of sorts, think Live meets Steam).

It would be pretty nifty. Valve is pretty much doing this already, but it could be perfected.

Why would this happen though? Fresh leadership.

Something very similar just happened at Toyota recently. Toyota cars had been shallow, safe, grandad vehicles for years when the company decided to give Tetsuya Tada a chance to lead his own project.
What did he make? A fucking sports car, the GT86. A pretty good one at that, the first one in over a decade from Toyota.
The reason was a simply "wouldn't it be cool to make a sports car?"

Sega has new leadership, a young man with fresh ideas that in matter of weeks changed the company's whole philosophy (for the better!). It's not hard to imagine someone that has the love for the craft to simply start a board meeting with "wouldn't it be cool to have our own hardware again?"

I think it would be pretty cool. Although it's a very far out dream, it's not as impossible as it seems: dedicated Sega hardware, a departure from traditional consoles, a step into the true future of gaming-focused PCs

Both you and George make fantastic points and I agree 100%. SEGA has become a very PC centric publisher the past several years. Probably the main Japanese PC publisher. Alien Isolation did far better on PC than on Playstation 3/4 and 360/Xbox One. And Valkriya Chronicles's Steam release was a surprise out-of-nowhere sleeper hit. Selling far better than its slept on 2008 PS3 exclusive release. I'm very confident Lost World's PC release is going to do well.

SEGA designed its Ringedge 2 and Sega Nu boards to be optimized better and have much better performance than PS4/Xbox One. Jaguar in itself is a very low key chipset used for very cheap laptops. It's clockspeed and CPU performance is on par with Intel Duo Core Wolfdale which came out in 2009. RE2's Clarkdale is a first Gen Core i3 processor that's pretty solid in speed and optimization. Nu uses i3 Ivy Bridge which is much faster than AMD Jaguar. Considering that SEGA HAS indeed used mid range PC hardware for its boards, the idea of them designing a PC friendly game console device either Notebook/Ultrabook based or even similar to the Steambox idea is not out of the realm of possibly. It's very likely they could take that route.

SEGA also seems to always know what's the best spec performance for its PC ports or developed titles. The idea of SEGA becoming more and more PC friendly is a fantastic prospect.

I believe a Notebook/Ultrabook themed platform is the best idea and best option. Built in OLED screen. A Built in Keyboard, Wireless Mouse and USB compatibility, Wireless Saturn controller with modifications, Wireless 6 Button Dreamcast pad with SDHC cards instead of VMUs. Steam compatible. HDMI/CEC TV output. More digital interface functionality, Windows 8.1 or a special modified Windows 8.5. The idea of selling a game console designed like a Ultrabook with mid range second gen Core i5 Sandy Bridge and a Nvidia GeForce 640 or 680 GTX GPU is an ingenious one. It could easily be sold for under $300 and SEGA could easily make it Dreamcast BC with Emulated Saturn ROMs and also do a media format in a similar style to Sony's UMD. There's plenty of PC builds 3X times more superior than PS4. Even my Tecra is still better performing and much faster.

I look forward to seeing what new line of Arcade boards SEGA's got coming next. With Lindbergh and RingWide officially obsolete. The hardware specs will definitely give us a clear idea what type of a PC build SEGA would prefer for the home consumer market.

I have been ranting for awhile about PC going to eventually take over consoles, I even did a article last year about why SEGA fans should jump on PC: http://segabits.com/blog/2014/04/24/why-its-the-perfect-time-for-sega-gamers-to-join-the-pc-master-race/
The PC master race has been much more kinder to SEGA than the console warriors. They've reviewed games positively and generally have good things to say about them. Sega PC titles have also done exceptionally well lately. I believe this is because most of Sega's hardcore fans have migrated to PC and Steam. SEGA should indeed become heavily PC focused and put out its best title output on the PC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:10:06 am by EnternalHope »