Author Topic: SEGA files WIPO application for SEGA Interactive,Ltd.  (Read 22776 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: SEGA files WIPO application for SEGA Interactive,Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:39 am »
It's just going to be really sad for you, EnternalHope, when SEGA don't do what you seem to be pinning your hopes on. People like you have been finding 'proof that SEGA are about to make new hardware' for literally 15 years now and time and time again nothing comes of it.

SEGA don't need to release any sort of new device for them to be great, all I care about are great SEGA games, not the box I play them on.
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 02:05:25 am »
It's just going to be really sad for you, EnternalHope, when SEGA don't do what you seem to be pinning your hopes on. People like you have been finding 'proof that SEGA are about to make new hardware' for literally 15 years now and time and time again nothing comes of it.

SEGA don't need to release any sort of new device for them to be great, all I care about are great SEGA games, not the box I play them on.

Sega is making the right moves. In 2000 Sega Enterprises,Ltd became Sega Corporation,Inc, the name change was so that Sega could shift into software.

In 2015, Sega Corporation,Inc(mostly a game publisher) was dissolved and split into 3 parts, Sega Games,Ltd, Sega Interactive,Ltd and Sega Holdings,Ltd. All core divisions and parts of SEGA pertaining to their gaming business and trade.

The name change certainly means a new business direction. Unlike others, I know about how International Trade and International Bureau works. https://unngls.org/index.php/engage-with-the-un/un-civil-society-contact-points/171-world-intellectual-property-organization-wipo so I won't be sad, because I know that the WIPO itself should never be taken with a grain of salt. It promotes international business trade. If it were what you assume, then it wouldn't be filed in the WIPO or under 66A Madrid. It would have instead been filed under the US Trademark office as a 44E "Bonafide Intent To Use". If anything, The WIPO means the company will designate business changes on all of its divisions and jurisdictions.

SEGA hasn't filed any paperwork pertaining to hardware development and design in a long,long time. The Sega Sammy application(now cancelled) had no such descriptions:

https://trademarks.justia.com/790/40/sega-sammy-79040246.html

As far as I'm concerned, the games are only great when they sell and make money. And that's what they should be doing. Sega the past few years  literally publishes  so few consumer console game titles that its clear to anyone that their 3rd party business won't be in existence much longer.(Altus is certainly going to take over ALL 3rd party reigns and operations pretty soon.) Sega titles are selling and performing better on PC,Mobile and Arcades, because that's where they belong and where people care for the brand. They don't belong on other consoles and most console gamers don't remember or care for Sega's past. They'd be happy if their favorite manufacturer brought out Sega's library.

But its not very relevant anymore. SEGA is an Arcade brand first and foremost so its biggest and greatest experience come solely from that.

To me, SEGA is a business. Not a low key publisher. They need to make money and the direction they're going in, they certainly will be.

Don't underestimate the Arcade business and the things SEGA does and can do with it. Remember, when it comes to Arcades, SEGA does things no one else can do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:08:16 am by EnternalHope »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 02:34:47 am »
Well, arcades these days are simply very gaming optimized PCs. Sega is pretty fucking good at this, they may as well be the best at making arcade machines right now.

If only it was that simple... Arcades have been using PC tech for decades and some of the 2 best corps that used PC tech for the Arcade was Konami and SEGA and yet these 2 have found it hard going on the console . SEGA with its Arcade background should have been the world leading Japanese develope for tech on the consoles, it sadly isn't and hasn't or wasn't  been close this or last gen .
  I've said this year back

Consoles are dying and SEGA has no chance of gaining market share from the big 3 nor do they care too.

I really don't get how you or the likes of Geroge can say that . Both the PS4 and X Bone are way ahead of what their predecessors sold both in Hardware and software terms that is a fact. The PS4 is way on corsue  by the end of the life sell way more than the Mega Drive ever did and most prob outsell the Snes by a wide margin too  the XOne will no doubt sell better than the Mega Drive at the end of its life... We you saying last gen that consoles are dead ? or the in the 16 bit days when no console ever came close to the sales of the NES ?
You just wait untill the PS4 hits the £100 sweet spot and see sales go through the roof. Even the XBox One will sell millions of units and easily outsell consoles like the Cube, X Box

People like you have been finding 'proof that SEGA are about to make new hardware' for literally 15 years now and time and time again nothing comes of it.

SEGA are not going to enter the market . They can't support or make enough AAA games as a 3rd party manufacturer, never mind trying to make enough AAA games to make people want to buy their console and that's with out the billions you need to developer and launch a console ..

The only ones with the billions and manufacturing to support a console worldwide would be the likes of Apple or Samsung

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:41:36 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 02:40:45 am »
Right, all gamers are rising, just PC gamers are rising faster. Sony is doing great, so is Xbox. Nintendo not so much. Anything can happen in 5 years, remember the start of last generation and the end of it where completely different outcomes.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 04:55:14 am »

If only it was that simple... Arcades have been using PC tech for decades and some of the 2 best corps that used PC tech for the Arcade was Konami and SEGA and yet these 2 have found it hard going on the console . SEGA with its Arcade background should have been the world leading Japanese develope for tech on the consoles, it sadly isn't and hasn't or wasn't  been close this or last gen .

What does Konami actually do in arcades aside from music games...I dont know.

Namco Bandai and Taito have recently made very elaborate new cabinets, too - although I have no clue how many units they've manufactured.

Which ones would that be?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 05:15:11 am »
TA, that's why my sugestion mentioned moving away from the traditional console model.

Also, no one questions hardware sales, but rather how software is scarce, production values way too high, and profits increasingly slim.

Right now we have millions of people buying these consoles to play the same 2-3 games. It's just a way of keeping up with COD or whatever.
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:59 am »
Right, all gamers are rising, just PC gamers are rising faster. Sony is doing great, so is Xbox.

Faster than last gen and the 16 bit gen Consoles aren't going anywhere . I also agree and have said for years SEGA should be backing the PC more, more so as all games start development life on the format these days . SEGA Japan used to have a great PC divsion and lines once but that was killed off (and one can't blame Sammy for that). SEGA Japan should lead on the PC with PS4 and One ports.

What does Konami actually do in arcades aside from music games...I dont know.

Konami moved to using PC tech for their Arcade boards before SEGA Japan, I'm not on about sales of Arcade games per say just the fact that Konami and SEGA moved to using pretty much 'off the shelf' PC tech decades ago and should have had a big advantage over 3td parties in Japan that only developed for and made games for consoles.

Yet to me the likes Fromsoftware, SquareEnix (ok I know they own TATIO) are in much better shape for consoles 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 11:38:03 am »
Right, all gamers are rising, just PC gamers are rising faster. Sony is doing great, so is Xbox. Nintendo not so much. Anything can happen in 5 years, remember the start of last generation and the end of it where completely different outcomes.

Correct. Traditional console sales don't really matter. What I was saying is that SEGA is looking to bring in a new demographic of consumers: PC only gamers, casuals, and older veteran gamers burned out on consoles.(In which there's a whole lot of) And TA's claim is pretty false regarding SEGA's arcade tech. Lindbergh was introduced in 2005 and was hardware on par with PS3
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=731    (This was a FULL year before PS3 even hit the market) if not slightly much faster and easier to program. Around the same time, the closest Arcade machine to Lindbergh was the Taito Type X, but Type X was much slower than Lindbergh and on par with 360.

TA, that's why my suggestion mentioned moving away from the traditional console model.Also, no one questions hardware sales, but rather how software is scarce, production values way too high, and profits increasingly slim.Right now we have millions of people buying these consoles to play the same 2-3 games. It's just a way of keeping up with COD or whatever.

TA's claims regarding SEGA's Arcade tech is pretty erroneous. RingEdge 2 is 3 years old. It was introduced in 2012. PS4 didn't launch until 2013. Nu was introduced in 2013, but for 2013, Nu is definitely a mid range PC build. SEGA has ALWAYS been ahead in the Arcade tech dept. They've NEVER been beaten. NEVER. In 1994, Namco had System 22 which was PS1 hardware, in '94 SEGA had Model 2, which was 3X times ahead of PS1 and slightly ahead of Saturn.

I consider the current console market irrelevant. SEGA doesn't need this generation of console gamers. Neither does Nintendo.(The Wii was proof of this.)

I agree regarding traditional consoles, its pretty clear that pretty soon the industry is going to cave in on itself and collapse like it did in the mid 80s. Consumers are eventually going to get tired of Call of Duty getting rehashed every year. DRM, overpriced DLC, shovelware open world gamers, Remastered re-releases, cash in indie un-original title, no co-op games, no games casuals and groups can play and overpriced retail titles.(I still refuse to pay $60-70 for a game that I know I'll return to the store once I beat it.) With the budget of games at an all time high, its bound to destroy many developers and bankrupt them.

Also, Japan needs to be the publishing kings again. They're the market that made the most noteworthy titles.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:41:19 am by EnternalHope »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »
Eternal Hope, your name isn't 'Zack Morris' by any chance?
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 01:46:15 pm »
Eternal Hope, your name isn't 'Zack Morris' by any chance?

Naw. Nobody's heard a peep out of him in years.

I'm a DC-Talk user and hardcore Sega fan. Who's excited to see SEGA finally change course and move away from being mostly a software only publisher where people only care about what IPs they can port beg, then turn around and not buy and not about SEGA's core bread and butter Arcade technology and business.

I can't say I'll miss "Sega Corporation,Inc".

To Quote Haijime Satomi President and Chief Executive Officer of SEGA Holdings,Ltd

“Sega in the ‘90s was known for its ‘brand, but after that, we’ve lost trust, and we were left with nothing but ‘reputation. For this reason, we’d like to win back the customers’ trust, and become a ‘brand,’ once again.”
Famistu July 2015.

NOBODY has heard this kind of talk from SEGA in years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:47:51 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 05:58:56 pm »
A brand and new hardware aren't the same thing... I would much rather SEGA just continue pumping out great games for whichever device they think it best suits, than be restricted to one device.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 08:13:20 pm »
TA's claims regarding SEGA's Arcade tech is pretty erroneous. RingEdge 2 is 3 years old. It was introduced in 2012. PS4 didn't launch until 2013. Nu was introduced in 2013, but for 2013, Nu is definitely a mid range PC build. SEGA has ALWAYS been ahead in the Arcade tech dept. They've NEVER been beaten. NEVER. In 1994, Namco had System 22 which was PS1 hardware, in '94 SEGA had Model 2, which was 3X times ahead of PS1 and slightly ahead of Saturn.

I take this is you Joe ? Be nice if you could at least get your facts straight for starters who ever your are . Sorry for 1 thing System 22 wasn't PS based hardware at all (that was system 11) and for another Ridge Racer and system 22 which powered it came out months before Model 2 and Daytona USA. Looking over that , sorry to break to you but Tatio Type range of Arcade boards have been better than Sega PC based offerings. Sega Japan should have way ahead of most console developers in Japan (thanks to it use of PC tech) and yet bar it's brilliant showing on the Xbox and Cube and the odd magical looking 360 and PS3 game here and there , it hasn't been up to much last gen and been this gen hasn't so far have nothing of note (tech wise) worth showing
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:02:00 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1mqfNfREzo

Speaking of arcade, Kancolle Arcade by AM2 looks like Valkyria Chronicles.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2015, 11:41:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1mqfNfREzo

Speaking of arcade, Kancolle Arcade by AM2 looks like Valkyria Chronicles.

Lovely looking game . You again seem to misunderstand the point . Type X 3 highest end settings is more powerful than the current line up of Sega boards. That doesn't mean Tatio make better games or anything like that btw
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:07 pm »
TA I think you fail to grasp that its not the 90s anymore and having 'cutting edge' graphics card doesn't mean anything in arcades. Its about the experience more now than 'cutting edge'. Games on arcades make less money than the 80s and 90s and having higher tier hardware will not only cost SEGA, but potential developers MORE money that doesn't exist in this market. That is the reason that all arcade manufactures are making more mid-tier type mobile games (sadly).

It made sense in the 80s and 90s to push the boundaries of arcades via being the first to do a lot of things like texture mapping, physics and all that stuff because people spent money in arcades.

I don't mind the smaller arcade projects being done but SEGA is going to have to transition its arcade teams to do console, PC and mobile games instead of just letting the talent go.