Author Topic: OMG TEH XBOX IS TGEH SUCKSz  (Read 24650 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
OMG TEH XBOX IS TGEH SUCKSz
« on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:44 pm »
Hey guys.
So my Xbox broke down. I got a team-xecuter repair kit with supposedly 98% success rate. Guess I'm a really unlucky bastard that likes getting into 2% fields in statistics.

Now, I don't hate the Xbox by this (even if the original Xbox also died on me). I think it's a horrible piece of equipment, but it really is the best experience ever when it works. WHEN IT WORKS which right now is NEVER.

So I glanced at my games and I thought: "holy shit theres so many I have no interest whatsoever of playing them again". So by selling all my xbox games and hardware I have, I could easily buy a phat 80gig PS3 with a couple nice games.

So instead of a full on PS3 vs Xbox battle, I just want to know: what's all that great about the PS3?

So I wanna ask my PS3 owner friends some questions as well:
Does it play all PS1 games? Can I use PS1/PS2 controllers?
Will the obligatory installations eventually fill up my HDD?
Are load times shorter than on the Xbox?
Can I connect a USB pen and watch a DivX movie? Can I connect my iPod and access my playlists?
Can I connect a keyboard/mouse and surf the web at will? Does the browser support flash?
Is the online experience laggy?
What can I do with PSP-PS3 interactions?
Are there any cool free stuff that I can use on the PS3?
Does the PS3 crash often?

And could someone name some games that would eventually fill my void for:
Outrun 2006
Shenmue II
World Cup 2006
Uno
Mass Effect

Guys hope I get replies, thanks a lot. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: OMG TEH XBOX IS TGEH SUCKSz
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
what's all that great about the PS3?

Him.

(there isn't much else I can tell you, I'm afraid.)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »
I prefer the Xbox 360 to the PlayStation 3 greatly, but it is mostly for the games they have and the controller. Outside of that, really not much should matter to most people. I will see how much I can help out though!

Does it play all PS1 games? Can I use PS1/PS2 controllers?
 It plays every original PlayStation game from the region. There are no ports to use these controllers straight away, you will need a USB adapter, same with the memory cards.

Will the obligatory installations eventually fill up my HDD?
 Depends on the games you get, I guess. I would not worry about it too much, though. 60gb holds more than you think

Are load times shorter than on the Xbox?
 No, Blu-Ray discs spin much slower, which is why games need manual installs.

Can I connect a USB pen and watch a DivX movie? Can I connect my iPod and access my playlists?
 Not sure about the DivX movies, but the iPod works last I saw.

Can I connect a keyboard/mouse and surf the web at will? Does the browser support flash?
 Yes and yes!

Is the online experience laggy?
 For all of my experiences, yes, they are. It could just depend on your connection or the time of day you play.

What can I do with PSP-PS3 interactions?
 Not sure about all of the features, but from what I know it is all really gimmicky stuff.

Are there any cool free stuff that I can use on the PS3?
 Sure, just depends on what you think is cool.

Does the PS3 crash often?
 From my experiences... Yeah, but games crashing are rarely an issue for most games I think. It is the games you play for hours without saving that you might want to avoid.

As for games to get... Uncharted 2 and Yakuza 3 is a great way to start off. I am sure you would really like to pick up the new soccer games you are into. The only PSN game I would really recommend and that I think you would like a lot is PAIN which has a lot of replay value and DLC too!

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:35 pm »
Well outrun online, valkyria chronicles, yakuza 3 are all excellent.

Sasar runs as well on ps3.

You can run all iPods except iPod touches.
Yes it supports div x, you can even set it up as a media server with your pc.

Games really depend on which console was the lead platform, burnout paradise looks better on ps3 whereas a lot of xbox/pc games look worse.

Sure you may have installs ( depends on the dev, but they only take 5-10 minutes) and you can delete them when you are finished with the game.

The online is free! Although a little less refined.

Mine has crashed twice in a couple if years, although my brothers died on my birthday so it isn't perfect!
I'm on my 4th 360 mind!

I prefer sonys exclusives so I would probably suggest the ps3 over 360, also I like blu rays and being able to gameshare.
If you don't like the games, or if you prefer the games for your xbox you would be better off sticking with replacing the 360.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:07:44 pm »
Don't delay, buy Valkyria today!

Anyway, everything has been covered nicely. I am not sure if you are going to enjoy many of the exclusives, but since I remember you being a Gran Turismo 5 to look forward too with the addition of Yakuza 3 and Valkyria Chronicles.

Some of the "big" exclusives for the console are Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, MGS4, Little Big Planet, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, the two Uncharted games, Demon's Souls and God of War 3 off the top of my head. Not sure if any of those would be of interest to you.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:47:31 pm »
Blu-ray discs spin slower, but feed more data. Have you seen how much data Blurays video outputs? Mostly has to do with lazy developers. Uncharted 2 only has loading in the start and then you have the ability to play the full single campaign with no loading. It also has no install, same with God of War III when it comes out (confirmed by devs).

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 05:10:39 pm »
PS3 sucks get a triple.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:52 pm »
PS3 doesn't have Halo, Mass Effect or Splinter Cell (yet).

But it does have Valkyria, Yakuza and Free interwebs.

PS3 also has no online for VF5, but I imagine Showdown will be on it's way, so it's a moot point. I also think the Bayonetta port ain't as bad as people like to make out.

Honestly, I think the writing is on the wall for MS now, they really need to make Live Free. PSN used to be not as good, but now... it's so close that MS really needs to either make everything free, or at the very least let silver people play online...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Honestly, I think the writing is on the wall for MS now, they really need to make Live Free. PSN used to be not as good, but now... it's so close that MS really needs to either make everything free, or at the very least let silver people play online...

Or Sony will start charging ;) The reverse could always happen.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Or Sony will start charging ;) The reverse could always happen.

Thats true, but I doubt Sony would shoot themselves in the foot by removing one of their main advantages over the competition.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »
They are going to start charging, but not for online play.

Also, I don't want to play Halo or Mass Effect. Even though, PC is always an option with ME or SC, though I'm going to get a new 360 for SC. The one I have is almost dead.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:38:16 pm »
inFamous is also a really fun game.
There are a ton of really good downloadable games on the PSN like: Flower, flOw, Shatter, PixelJunk Eden, PixelJunk Shooter, echochrome, and Super Stardust HD.

It's also region free, so you can import Initial D or Kenzan if you want.
Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza 3 are both must haves though.

As far as PSP connectivity goes, the biggest thing is the remote play.  You can stream any media from the PS3 to the PSP wherever you can get a wifi signal. This also works with any PSOne game on the PS3, and some PSN games.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:31 am »
I've owned them both since launch. The PS3 is way better as a media machine, but I'd take the 360 for gaming any day. Well, any day except today since I got FFXIII for PS3 since the graphics are better. Usually not the case. PS3's interface and online just doesn't compare to 360. If I had to get rid of the 360 or PS3, I'd be out buying a new Blu-Ray player and the 360 would reign supreme.

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:07 am »
Quote from: "Mengels7"
I've owned them both since launch. The PS3 is way better as a media machine, but I'd take the 360 for gaming any day. Well, any day except today since I got FFXIII for PS3 since the graphics are better. Usually not the case. PS3's interface and online just doesn't compare to 360. If I had to get rid of the 360 or PS3, I'd be out buying a new Blu-Ray player and the 360 would reign supreme.
I agree its a better media device, but I hate the NXE interface. MS really screwed it up, i have to go through too much bullshit just to do anything. The blades = superior.

I also play most of my games on PS3, It is mostly because its a reliable machine.

I heard the 360 version of FFXIII also has loading on the 360 and none on PS3. So odd, seems like Square did a really lazy port.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:27 am »
Quote from: "Mengels7"

Most third party games are done with the 360 or PC as the lead platform and are then just ported over.  For Burnout Paradise and FFXIII, the PS3 was the lead platform, and they usually turn out a lot better as a result.  Vanquish is also being developed with PS3 as the lead platform.