Author Topic: Yakuza: OF THE END  (Read 33609 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Yakuza: OF THE END
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:38 am »
You're talking nonsense ROJM. There are many JRPG's that have their own take on random battles. The "tales of" series also have action packed sorta hack and slash battles. Just because it's a different way of battling doesn't make the game "arcade". The game is not arcade in the slightest. There is nothing arcade about yakuza. Arcade games are mostly games that you could play in the arcade. Yakuza is not one of those games. You could say that the battles are remenisent to beat em ups(like streets of rage) and state that as the reason to why it's partially an arcade game, but you could say that about any part of any game. I could say that tales of symphonia is an arcade something because the random battles are arcadey. That doesn't make it an arcade game all of a sudden, it's still an RPG. Yakuza is also an RPG in every way. Is it because forest, woods and great world maps are missing?

And it's also funny how you mention shenmue. So how about that game, the battles in that game are arcadey too right? Shenmue is defenitly an arcade game........ no not really.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:21 am »
I do not want to get into the debate what is and what is not an RPG but in Japanese arcades a game like Yakuza is very much possible thanks to membership cards.

Over a decade ago something like Quest of D would not be playable in the arcades, present technologies in the arcades allows titles like that, Border Break and Shining Force Cross to be played in the arcade. These store what levels you've unlocked, abilities, items and even experience level. So something like Yakuza now is totally possible in the arcades.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
Quote from: "ROJM"
I keep saying this but its a hybrid of arcade style play and RPG or arcade adventure for short. A lot of games like this were described as being such back in the eighties including some of the Wonder Boy games. Now apparently the term is "action adventure". but i'm use to it being called arcade adventure since that was the term used when i was growing up.

The term for Yakuza if one is to use SEGA own spin is 'Action Adventure', that's what is down on SOJ website.

Everyone knows this is a RPG deep down. Do people see Panzer Dragoon Saga as an RPG, or a Arcade shooter ? , Shenmue II  a RPG or a VS Fighter , Sonic Adv as a Platform game or a RPG, Exhumed as a RPG or a FPS , Valkyrie has a RPG or RTS game, Sakura Wars as RPG or a Dating game

Over a decade ago something like Quest of D would not be playable in the arcades, present technologies in the arcades allows titles like that

True but Machines like NA@MI allowed users to use their own VMU in the Arcades , so one could  have save data that way. Much like how SNK users could sue their Memory card on both the AES and MVS
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »
You do have a point there AKI. However those examples you've stated are still pretty quick to play and have a lot more emphasis on action. I'd say a phantasy star online would fit perfectly within that list. A yakuza however is pretty slowpaced overall and I don't think anyone goes to an arcade to slowly explore every corner of the cities and watch a lot of cutscenes.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 04:31:15 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
You're talking nonsense ROJM. There are many JRPG's that have their own take on random battles. The "tales of" series also have action packed sorta hack and slash battles. Just because it's a different way of battling doesn't make the game "arcade". The game is not arcade in the slightest. There is nothing arcade about yakuza. Arcade games are mostly games that you could play in the arcade. Yakuza is not one of those games. You could say that the battles are remenisent to beat em ups(like streets of rage) and state that as the reason to why it's partially an arcade game, but you could say that about any part of any game. I could say that tales of symphonia is an arcade something because the random battles are arcadey. That doesn't make it an arcade game all of a sudden, it's still an RPG. Yakuza is also an RPG in every way. Is it because forest, woods and great world maps are missing?

And it's also funny how you mention shenmue. So how about that game, the battles in that game are arcadey too right? Shenmue is defenitly an arcade game........ no not really.
Study about games history before you start mouthing off on something you have no idea of.Riduculous reply especially the SOR bit.
Arcade adventure is just the term used for a game that combines real time action like beat em up or platform and RPG/puzzle elements. action adventure is what people call them now and you even strecth that to action RPGs if you want.
YAKUZA has never been classed as an RPG, despite you lot thinking you know better than the people who classified the genre the game is in.
BTW,what also shows the ignorance is the fact you think the term actually applies to it being from or originated from actual arcades. It doesn't and never has. AAD games originated on consoles.

Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
I keep saying this but its a hybrid of arcade style play and RPG or arcade adventure for short. A lot of games like this were described as being such back in the eighties including some of the Wonder Boy games. Now apparently the term is "action adventure". but i'm use to it being called arcade adventure since that was the term used when i was growing up.

The term for Yakuza if one is to use SEGA own spin is 'Action Adventure', that's what is down on SOJ website.

Everyone knows this is a RPG deep down. Do people see Panzer Dragoon Saga as an RPG, or a Arcade shooter ? , Shenmue II  a RPG or a VS Fighter , Sonic Adv as a Platform game or a RPG, Exhumed as a RPG or a FPS , Valkyrie has a RPG or RTS game, Sakura Wars as RPG or a Dating game

Over a decade ago something like Quest of D would not be playable in the arcades, present technologies in the arcades allows titles like that

True but Machines like NA@MI allowed users to use their own VMU in the Arcades , so one could  have save data that way. Much like how SNK users could sue their Memory card on both the AES and MVS
And you know that genres become so blurred that sometimes its impossible to tell the difference. SONIC ADVENTURE is also classed as an arcade adventure/action adventure, as well though the game's emphasis is on the action more than its puzzle/rpg elements. Its funny how people in this forum said it was more like a 3D SOR when people played it when it first came out and now its an out and out RPG? Give me a break. its not, Sega doesn't see it as such either.

The fact the action is in real time,not turn based, hardly random either as well as the other elements as the minigames which definatly aren't RPG essentially doesn't make the game an out and out RPG.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2011, 05:09:18 am »
The fact the action is in real time,not turn based, hardly random either as well as the other elements as the minigames which definatly aren't RPG essentially doesn't make the game an out and out RPG.

So, like Valkyria Chronicles and Sakura Taisen?

---

Moving on...

I would say the likelihood of The Yakuza of the Dead (that better be the damn title!!) having a release outside of Japan now is pretty much a given, but do any of you think there is a chance that it will not?

I mean, it would be a major bummer as me and a friend literally bought the console almost entirely because of this series, if Yakuza 4 is the last one to come, or last for awhile to be released here... That would really, really, really suck.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2011, 05:24:00 am »
VC adopts turnbased and real time. SAKURA TAISEN gameplay has kinda changed the later the series went on and besides ST was always described as being a hybrid game,RPG (SRPG)date sim but in time its just been labelled an RPG. As for YAKUZA, Officially the game is an AAD, some fans call it an RPG, others call it an ARPG. I'm calling it as i see it. But at the end of the day Sega doesn't label it being an RPG so I really dunno what the hoola is about.
YAKUZA has RPG elements, like the talking,exploration a kind of levelling up(if we must call it that) but it has obvious arcade style beat em up elements and a variety of mini games in it as well plus the social aspect of the game with the hostesses which can become a game upon itself. Discounting the hostess bit its still a game with various genres involved in the game unlike many RPGs out there.

As for YAKUZA OF THE DEAD, its pretty obvious doncha think because zombies will be more easier to sell to western gamers than the series has managed so far in its main form

Offline ROJM

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:07 am »
It proves it wasn't bullshit and how Sonic has appeared in plenty of non ST games. Also it's nothing new, SEGA has a long history of multiple cameos... be that the Hang-On bike in After Burner or Chicken Leg in Golden Axe ECT .

You can't count Sonic since he is the company mascot. Barring YAKUZA and a few others, Sega cameos usually only extend to games that team created or worked on. Most people see FIGHTERS MEGAMIX being a sega crossover but in reality it was an AM2 crossover game because all the characters in that game were either created by AM2 or as in the case of SONIC THE FIGHTERS were worked on by that team. GOLDEN AXE shared the same team as ALTERED BEAST remember. And as for second party Sega characters they hardly get a look in. I'd like to see more cameos in future be it one that was a character not created by that team(After all the team working on YAKUZA did work on JSR)or include second party characters like Max from SHINING FORCE or even BAYONETTA in a main sega game. Other than that and references to other games of course which are nortorious with sega developers including them in their games  

As for SOR. No, SOR is an answer to final fight, but the game itself is more double dragon mixed in with golden axe rather than FF. When the series starts taking real riffs out of FF is in the second and third parts. The only elements from FF is more of the character design of half of the enemy sprites and other elements.

As for a HOTD reference why not? Though it would be pretty obvious and from what i've seen of the game, there definatly are gaijins(westerners) in the game. Afterall this is the AMS mandate to tackle things of this nature. Of course according to HOTD lore, G is retired by now and Rogan startedhaving a family and they don't meet up till HOTD 3 which takes place in 2013. But that wouldn't matter in a game like this.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2011, 08:25:39 am »
YAKUZA has never been classed as an RPG, despite you lot thinking you know better than the people who classified the genre the game is in.

Its not classed as a Arcade Adventures either. Its classed as a Action Adventure by SEGA.

AAD games originated on consoles.

What about WonderBoy II . And do you really think Sonic Adv and Yakuza play the same?, even though they're both classed as AAD games by SEGA Japan .

this forum said it was more like a 3D SOR when people played it when it first came out and now its an out and out RPG

I've already said its SOR/Spikeout meets a RPG .  

There's plenty of RPG's that have real Time Combat like the likes of Fable, Mass Effect 2  for starters . Plenty of RPG's  that have Mini games and have done for years.

I really don't know why you get so Hyped that Yakuza plays a lot a like a RPG; Like some how that's a bad thing ?
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 08:38:05 am »
You can't count Sonic since he is the company mascot. Barring YAKUZA and a few others, Sega cameos usually only extend to games that team created or worked on

We can count SONIC and there's been lots of Cameos in SEGA games, mostly made by the people that 1st made the game in the 1st place, but there is always exceptions to the rule , like ORTA being in OutRun SP tours , A who's who of SEGA in SEGAGAGA (most of which not by AM#3)

The simple face is there's been plenty of SEGA game in the past with Cameo's
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:40 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Study about games history before you start mouthing off on something you have no idea of.Riduculous reply especially the SOR bit.
Arcade adventure is just the term used for a game that combines real time action like beat em up or platform and RPG/puzzle elements. action adventure is what people call them now and you even strecth that to action RPGs if you want.
BTW,what also shows the ignorance is the fact you think the term actually applies to it being from or originated from actual arcades. It doesn't and never has. AAD games originated on consoles.

Okay so let me ask you this since you still didn't answer that part of my post. What makes shenmue more of an RPG compared to Yakuza? I personally find them to be very similar, especially since the camera view has changed from yakuza 3.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 11:18:13 am »
Its not classed as a Arcade Adventures either. Its classed as a Action Adventure by SEGA.

Action Adventure is an arcade adventure.

What about WonderBoy II . And do you really think Sonic Adv and Yakuza play the same?, even though they're both classed as AAD games by SEGA Japan .

AAD predates Wonderboy 2, another game you said wasn't one I recall. And the last comment is so riduculous. Final Fight and Streetfighter are both beat em ups yet they're both different. :roll:

this forum said it was more like a 3D SOR when people played it when it first came out and now its an out and out RPG

I've already said its SOR/Spikeout meets a RPG .

Which is what an arcade adventure is.  

There's plenty of RPG's that have real Time Combat like the likes of Fable, Mass Effect 2  for starters . Plenty of RPG's  that have Mini games and have done for years.

Let's stick to Sega shall we? I know you can't since you know little about them.

I really don't know why you get so Hyped that Yakuza plays a lot a like a RPG; Like some how that's a bad thing ?  
Let's over exaggerate everything again shall we. The game is not i repeat not an RPG. Sega doesn't class it as one, the game certainly does not PLAY like one despite the SHENMUE comparisions. Now get that over your head.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:32 pm »
Final Fight and Streetfighter are both beat em ups yet they're both different

Well one is classed as beat them up and one as a VS Fighter. I've seen Zelda and Skies of Arcadia both classed as RPG's, even though they're both very different in gameplay.

Wonderboy 2, another game you said wasn't one I recall.
Wonder Boy 2 could be classed as an action Adventure(which is exactly what it is, in gameplay terms) I rather say its an Action RPG.
arcade adventure

That is a bit misleading for a game like SOR, a game that never appeared in the Arcades , thought I'm sure you bring up MegaTech.

The game is not i repeat not an RPG. Sega doesn't class it as one, the game certainly does not PLAY like one despite the SHENMUE comparisions.

The game plays a lot like Shenmue II and a lot like an RPG  and its not the only game to feature real time battles; Mass Effect II plays a lot like GOW or Vanquished, yet is classed as RPG.

And its classed by SEGA as 'Action Adventure', when you liked to class it as Arcade adventure. In the end most will see it as an Modern day RPG
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »
I'd classify Yakuza 1-3 (the only ones I've played) as RPG's.

- You level up by fighting, and gaining stats.
- You acquire new skills as you level up
- You beat various quests that progress the main story along.
- You chat with the various denizens of the world you inhabit.
- When an enemy sees you on the overworld, you go into a battle screen.
- The biggest difference between Yakuza's gameplay and most RPG's, is that the battle system is a 3d beat 'em up instead of something turn based.

The RPG genre's pretty loose in definition nowaday's anyway.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2011, 02:52:17 pm »
^As SOUP said, RPG genre is pretty loose, as is almost every other genre nowadays. While there are some that still fall right into a set category, I think a lot of games these days are really hard to define.

Is Assassin's Creed a stealth game, platformer or action game for example?