Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Blows... OUR MINDS!!!  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Nintendo 3DS Blows... OUR MINDS!!!
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:24:21 am »
hi all, randy here (barry's brother) aka RandyDSi aka Koopa Troopa on the nintendo boards.

nintendo has done it again. virtual boy 2!!!! i cant wait!!!!

-Randy

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch ... ing/37881/

edit: when i say virtual boy 2 im talking about the second version of the old virtual boy. i didnt grow up on it but my bro said he played one and said it suked which i disagree with because nintendo made virtual boy and i dont see how they could ever make a mistake
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Nintendo 3DS Blows... OUR MINDS!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:25 am »
Mind not blown.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
If you like playing with army men in a shoebox, you'll love this!

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:43 pm »
Yawn.

I see potential in the technology, to be honest. But something tells me Nintendo's innovative games will be either casual or rehashed crap.

Yawn.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »
Quote from: "ShadiWulf"
Mind not blown.

Yet, when you play PS3D games with glasses. You'll be blown.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »
Everyone needs to realize that while these kind of innovations might be neat, there is only so much you can do before all games turn into the same thing. I will say there is a lot of potential with something like this though, and I would not be swift to say it is a Virtual Boy successor by any means, but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

What I am most worried about is how much battery life is this thing going to take up? The DSi already has a significantly smaller battery life, and with motion controls and a 3D screen... Not sure how this is all going to work out and still be affordable.

ALSO

In February 2008, researcher Johnny Lee demoed a low-budget way to add motion-sensing 3D capabilities to the non-portable Nintendo Wii.

The plot thickens!

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »
That video is NOT a demonstration of the 3DS.

There will probably be some kind of box around the screen, if it were to work like this:

[youtube:205rn92g]qj-ytnSzAfY[/youtube:205rn92g]

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:52:46 pm »
Yeah, that vid was NOT the 3DS, it was just a DSi Game that uses the camera to fake 3D effects.

I think this will be interesting, ya'll bein' haters.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »
Anyway, without doubt this will be using lenticular screens - I doubt very much it will use a hologram box or sphere... considering the impracticality of such a device on public transport.

There are already Japanese cell phones sporting the technology, basically the screen is formed like one of those old holograph trading cards where the picture is laced over different ridges and when you look at it from certain angles you see the corresponding images in each eye.

Probably an attempt by Nintendo to catch up with the Japanese cell phone market out of fear of the games becoming superior to DS gaymz :x

As for it being the next virutal boy?  I'd say not.  3D displays are coming whether you like it or not, afterall, now that James Cameron is on board everyone is on board!  Asus have already put out a 3D Vision gaming laptop and Acer have put out a... half... assed... attempt thing.  Oh well!

3D Vision aint nothing new though, nor are active shutter glasses.  My friend had some 3rd party shutter glasses system back in 2003 or something and let me play Grand Theft Auto III in stereoscopic :o  at a stunning 15fps!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:40:45 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Everyone needs to realize that while these kind of innovations might be neat, there is only so much you can do before all games turn into the same thing. I will say there is a lot of potential with something like this though, and I would not be swift to say it is a Virtual Boy successor by any means, but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

What I am most worried about is how much battery life is this thing going to take up? The DSi already has a significantly smaller battery life, and with motion controls and a 3D screen... Not sure how this is all going to work out and still be affordable.

ALSO

In February 2008, researcher Johnny Lee demoed a low-budget way to add motion-sensing 3D capabilities to the non-portable Nintendo Wii.

The plot thickens!

Johnny Lee works for Microsoft now.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »
You must be a retard if you think 3-D is needed for handhelds . I can see Bluray/PS3s, due to movies like Avatar, but handhelds? Really? How about they work on making the screen visible when you are outside? Can they do that?

For fuck sake.

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 02:54:38 am »
..3D in portable gaming.... Do not need.

Offline ImSmartUrDum

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:14:30 am »
Acording to a few peeps out there Lenovo are currently working on a screen for Laptops which can be switched between front and back-lit to allow for optimum use with external lighting such as daylight etc as well as give premium display quality indoors. The GBA SP frontlit models were pretty visible in most circumstances...  I've certainly never had a problem with a frontlit screen outdoors.

The way I see it is front-lit screens should be for portables, backlit is nice indoors but outside it's a struggle if the lighting is particularily bright.  The original GameBoy's screen is arguably easier to see outside than a DS' Screen.

Although I wouldn't let lighting stand in the way of implementing a lenticular LCD.  It certainly didn't stop the evolution of Monochrome to full-color so why not 3D as well?

If they used 'ultrabright' led backlights though, it should be able to cut-through daylight pretty well even on a sunny day - an anti reflection coating would also cut glare dramatically.

Basically, making a screen that can be seen outside is not really THAT difficult demonstrated by the vast array of devices that are perfectly visible outside, if Nintendo can hit the two nails on the head at the same time then it might all work out.

And as said before, Nintendo will be trying to keep their grip on the Japanese market as well.   Cellphones with 3D screens are taking off, so naturally they will be trying to keep customers as well as getting themselves out of the market saturation level the DS is currently at.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
What about just making the screen less glossy?

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:19:12 pm »
Do not need - I can agree but...

It'll be cool, don't deny that.