Author Topic: Sonic movie URLs registered  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Sonic movie URLs registered
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:01 pm »
...by Sony Pictures, allegedly:

http://kotaku.com/the-bizarre-situation-behind-rainbow-6-patriots-1481102723

Last week, Sony Pictures, who has never been never been involved in the Sonic franchise, registered the domains sonicthehedgehog-movie.com, sonicthehedgehog-movie.net and sonicthehedgehogmovie.net, seemingly hinting that Sony acquired the feature film rights to the character.P

Given that Sonic is an anthropomorphic hedgehog, I would venture to guess Sony Pictures Animation is involved. The most likely form a Sonic the Hedgehog feature would take is probably something fully animated about Sonic and his buddies, but I could easily imagine Sega wanting to reinvent the character for a modern family audience through an live action-animation hybrid with Sonic and his friends in some fish out of water real-world scenario on our planet. The latter is, of course, the conceit of Sony Picture Animation's very awful but very successful Smurfs franchise.P

However, video game film adaptations, like any property or script a studio acquires, have a tiny chance of actually happening. Sony Pictures has a long list of video game films that are either dead or stuck in development hell, including: inFamous, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, The Getaway, Uncharted, Devil May Cry, EverQuest and Shadow of the Colossus. And it is not just live-action films: three years ago, Sony Pictures Animation bought the rights to Rollercoaster Tycoon as a possible live-action/animation hybrid for the director of The Karate Kid remake to possibly direct, but nothing has been heard of the project since.

This would be a bit random coming after the Sonic cameos in Wreck it Ralph and Sonic Boom coming to Cartoon Network in the future.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:57:13 pm by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Re: Sonic movie URLs registered
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:22 pm »
 To be honest Ive always had dreams of making it big in Hollywood. Nowis my chance.

Sega if your reading this please hire me to be Sonic. or shadow. I have credentials

-theater group at school
-can act, capable to yelling (angry and Super Sonic), cool attitude
-played Sonic 1, 2, 3, Adventures, Shadow the hedgehog (willing to play more)
-watched the cartoon from the 90s sometime
-knowledge of video game industry and movie

My friends and family have always told me I can be sonic, and now i want just the opprotunity to prove that I can. and plus I would be helpful.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:45:50 am »
SEGA mentioned in a recent report that they need to branch out their IPs more into other medium and used Yakuza as an example ie television series, film etc so I wholeheartidly believe we will eventually get a Sonic the Hedgehog film.

Just hope its Marza doing both the animation and the scriptwriting.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:50 am »
If this is genuinely getting made, and it manages to not get stuck in production hell, I don't see how this could be any good. For all his appearances in various media, Sonic has rarely been able to get beyond "okay". I'd say the only real exception to that has been the Sonic comics, which have been lucky enough to get some really solid staff behind them in the last 7 years, but those were also quite divorced from the games.

With a television show on the horizon, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA wanted to give Sonic a big multimedia push, though.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:06 pm »
Some additional reference:

Open Season
Surf's Up
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Smurfs
Arthur Christmas
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Hotel Transylvania
The Smurfs 2
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

If in fact we're dealing with Sony Pictures Animation. Never watched any of those in their entirety to be honest.

on that note, "live action animation for a family audience" sounds like frightening/hilarious speculation, although the logical thing to expect. I wonder if Sonic will be kissing humans again. Or perhaps the return of Chris. we can cast a precocious and upbeat kid who's got a good moral sense and routinely mocks adults/Doctor Eggman (when Eggman finds a Chaos Emerald, the kid stomps on his left foot, steals it, and runs)

"Sonic...will you always be my best friend"
"Of course I will, little buddy"

In any case, it's at least more likely than almost any other video game movie. More so than Mario. Saying Pokemon is not allowed because there are a ton of them >=(

Sonic has his hand in almost everything nowadays. Sonic Monopoly, Sonic comics, all sorts of toys (old hat), new upcoming cartoon...
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:30:15 pm »
SEGA mentioned in a recent report that they need to branch out their IPs more into other medium and used Yakuza as an example ie television series, film etc so I wholeheartidly believe we will eventually get a Sonic the Hedgehog film.

Just hope its Marza doing both the animation and the scriptwriting.

I hope it's made by Marza too, don't see why SEGA would ignore their own in-house CGi studio. xD

They still need a publisher though.. since they don't publish movies themselves, and that is where Sony would come in. At least that is what I think would make sense.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
I hope it's made by Marza too, don't see why SEGA would ignore their own in-house CGi studio. xD

They still need a publisher though.. since they don't publish movies themselves, and that is where Sony would come in. At least that is what I think would make sense.

Funny enough, the Ratchet and Clank movie is being animated by a different studio other than Sony's own animation studio.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:37:23 am »
Funny enough, the Ratchet and Clank movie is being animated by a different studio other than Sony's own animation studio.

Yeah that is weird. Companies seem to make weird decisions a lot.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 07:43:53 am »
Even if it's Sony's own animation studio instead of Marza, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania both have great cartoony animation.

Unless they go the animated characters in live action route. I don't really see that happening with Sonic though.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:16:38 am »
I haven't seen many of those.

Open Season and it's two direct-to-DVD sequels are meh.
Hotel Transylvania is one of the best CG movies I've seen in recent memory. Definately something I'd watch on Halloween in the next few years.

But so far... I am skeptic on this bit of news...

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »
I haven't seen many of those.

Open Season and it's two direct-to-DVD sequels are meh.
Hotel Transylvania is one of the best CG movies I've seen in recent memory. Definately something I'd watch on Halloween in the next few years.

But so far... I am skeptic on this bit of news...

Watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, it's the best movie Sony Pictures Animation has done.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:02 pm »
Yeah that is weird. Companies seem to make weird decisions a lot.

Not necessarily, we just don't know the reasons behind them.

In this case, it's likely Sony's Animation studios had a full docket and couldn't work on it, so it was outsourced.