Author Topic: What Books are you reading?  (Read 46717 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: What Books are you reading?
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 09:17:58 am »
I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey.
I never thought I'd laugh out loud reading about a visit to a gynecologist.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"

I love Tina Fey.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"
Quote from: "SOUP"

I love Tina Fey.

She's pretty hilarious throughout the whole thing. It's fun to read the stuff she comes up with when there aren't any TV censors.
Lines like, "toothy knob-job".

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »
Star Wars: Red Harvest

Not as good as the original, sadly.

A lot harder to keep track of the characters. And the ending was the exact copy of the original.

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »
Ive just finished reading Rapture the Bioshock novel... Im pretty sure im gonna read it again...

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »
I'm currently reading Eon by Allison Goodman. It's been an interesting novel so far.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 04:23:53 am »

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.

A very good read thus far.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »
Even if you aren't a Christian there is no denying CS Lewis is a amazing author!
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2011, 12:57:59 am »
I just finished my second read through of The Communist Manifesto in preparation for a discussion on the matter of communism. It was productive, the reading and discussion both.

Now I am gonna relax, and reread Leo Tolstoy's epic, War and Peace.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:04 am »
@Cosmic Castaway

C.S. Lewis really is a great author. I liked his The Screwtape Letters shorts which are pretty good. And I'm almost done with Mere Christianity.

It does explain plain and simple what christianity is all about in terms of it's belief system, the difference between a material view of the word and the spiritual, issues like charity, marriage, war, pride,etc.  The core of his essay, however, is indeed a sharp and detailed criticism on what is considered pseudo-spirituality, nihilism and moral relativism. He also debunks several myths about all the alleged benefits of becoming of Christian denomination.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2011, 10:54:19 am »
@TaroYamada: I gave that a read when I was in grade 8, but I think it went a bit over my head at the time.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
Y'all are readin' some pretty fancy books!

I'm just rereading the Harry Potter books. Am currently halfway through book 4. I forgot how much of the intro was cut from the movie version!

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2011, 05:34:22 pm »
@TaroYamada: I gave that a read when I was in grade 8, but I think it went a bit over my head at the time.

The Communist Manifesto? Or War and Peace? I'd advise re-reading either if you feel they went over your head. With the Communist Manifesto I'd suggest the Bantam Classics version, it doesn't have the preface from the Russian, Polish, Italian or the third German edition; but it has an absolutely fantastic introduction written by Vladimir Pozner. Though it is missing the principles of Communism by Engels, which is certainly a glaring flaw.

With War and Peace I would advise the Maude translation if you want a page turner (not knocking it, an absolutely fantastic translation by all means), for extremely in-depth reading purposes get the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation as that version includes biographies of characters mentioned (given it takes place in the Napoleonic-era this can help even if you are up on your history) in a historical index, as well as notes on what historical event the characters are referencing during certain conversations. It's considered the academic version, so it is definitely that. It does have a major flaw, and that is that the French (which represents 2% of all dialog in the novel) is left untouched and is translated in the footnotes rather than where it actually stands. It's sort of a pain in the ass in that regard.

For the most enjoyable and fun read, the Maude translation is hard to beat: http://amzn.to/notEsd

Y'all are readin' some pretty fancy books!

I'm just rereading the Harry Potter books. Am currently halfway through book 4. I forgot how much of the intro was cut from the movie version!

The Harry Potter novels are very good, they do receive some hate, but mainly from people who haven't read the books as far as I've noticed.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:06 am »
@TaroYamada:
It was the Communist Manifesto. Thanks a lot for the advice sir. I'll have to check them out.
My french isn't too bad, so if there isn't much in there, I should be ok.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
Just finished reading Star Wars: The Rise of Darth Vader.

It's... OK-ish. Much better than The Force Unleashed novel, which was basically nothing but a tedious description of the video game cutscenes.
It's a story that takes place immediately after the end of Revenge of the Sith, for some odd reason, one group of stormtroopers actually thought that Order 66 was a joke. And the twist ending, well, you can see it coming a mile away.

Gotta pick another read for the next couple of weeks...