Author Topic: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed disscussion  (Read 253122 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGA announces Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:15 am »
I'm very happy Gum is in, and I gotta say it:

I love you guys, but this begging for obscure Japanese characters like those from Sakura Wars is really starting to get on my nerves. I mean, yes, they'd be a welcome addition. But come freakin' on! Do you really think we'll see Sakura Wars in Transformed?? What more, why is Gum a horrible thing?

Her game is awesome, her design is awesome and unlike other Superstars Tennis characters she is very unique when compared to Beat. Hardly a female reskin like MeeMee and Amiga are. And really, I don't think Sumo will go all Superstars Tennis roster on us. Gum and Reala are in, sure, but why in the hell would they add Pudding, MeeMee or Amiga? Gum and Reala are important characters from their respective IPs and are the best of the bunch when it comes to the SST roster.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: Relax and quit demanding such obscure stuff. The roster is a lock anyway, so begging for Sakura Wars is a waste of time by this point. Wait for the full roster reveal, play the game and THEN start your begging. Right now all Sumo hears are requests for characters that are either already in or are already out. Only they know for sure. It's not like they're working on a third ASR game yet. But after release, that is when they'll be most receptive to comments and requests.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2012, 09:53:24 am »
Don't get me wrong Gum is cool and it's not going to stop me from buying the game. It's just that I kinda wish they added female characters that are iconic and appealing like her and Ulala towards Sega fans. I understand that Sakura Wars is an obscured series towards the Western audience, but it has a cult following by Sega and anime fans. What I liked about the first ASR game was the obscurity of Sega characters like Bonanza Bros & Zobio & Zobiko in the game. The same goes for Rent-A-Hero who appeared in Fighters Megamix. Didn't know who he was until I played him. Stuff like that needs more exposure, hopefully for the next game. Not too much like Project X Zone even though Bahn & Bruno are in the game :)

I'll stop talking about Sakura-kun for now until the game is released and hopefully S0L can come back to SegaBits again to take our suggestions for the next All-Stars game.

If only Captain Onishima was in this game as a cameo, that would be golden.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »
is temjin out of the question?  That's not too obscure right?  Or heck anyone from a phantasy star game would be great.  Except ethan webber. 

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »
The weird thing about Silver is how he was also in Sonic Rivals within the same month and year that Sonic 06 came out despite being created during development of the latter. Has there been anything said as to how Silver made it into Rivals?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2012, 02:06:23 pm »
They were probably hoping Silver would be the next big thing and threw him in. I read the game's plot and Silver's role is pretty simple. Seems they shoed him in.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »
Regarding more secondary characters, S0L said:

there will be some more. Get used to it

Welp, I guess its highly likely that the Roster of the first game will end up being better, even Joe Musashi can't save this.

Also, it looks like Gum is riding a Quad-Bike too, like Beat.  ::)

Offline batfax

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:51 am »
I think you're over-reacting a little bit. It's not a big deal if we get some secondary characters, since the roster as it is is pretty nice. It'd sure be nice to get some more IPs in, but at this point we've got at least one new character per SEGA console except for Master System I think. Vyse, Gilius, NiGHTS, Joe... feels greedy to complain that that isn't enough.

Offline Pao

« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2012, 04:32:12 am »
I think you're over-reacting a little bit. It's not a big deal if we get some secondary characters, since the roster as it is is pretty nice. It'd sure be nice to get some more IPs in, but at this point we've got at least one new character per SEGA console except for Master System I think. Vyse, Gilius, NiGHTS, Joe... feels greedy to complain that that isn't enough.
Its seems a waste to use secondary characters when you got all those heavily-requested IPs, all I can think of is that they wanted to reuse assist from Sega Superstar Tennis, as both Reala and Gum featured there.

Also, its seems a bit lazy to have those secondary characters drive similar vehicles, Reala's technically has the same vehicle as NiGHTs with a different skin... and Gum drives a quad-bike like Beat.

As it stands, the first ASR has more varied cast and no weird/garbage guest characters.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:32:18 am by Pao »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:52 am »
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but how many slots are left?

Offline Pao

« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2012, 06:37:04 am »
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but how many slots are left?
Nine, excluding the third guest character that was hinted at before.
There is no guarantee all those nine would be Sega characters though, some of them will probably be console-exclusive guest characters like Banjo.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:43:25 am by Pao »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2012, 09:02:24 am »
Banjo ain't in, S0L confirmed it.

Really, I think people need to calm down. The game is looking beautiful, the gameplay is looking great and the tracks are varied which is really awesome. Is the roster some crazy clusterfuck of obscure and classic SEGA characters? We don't know yet. I'd say it's looking pretty great! Of course, every single fan can't be satisfied. Best to get over it and enjoy what we get.

I swear, gamers these days complain so much. Never enjoying what is there and just complaining about what isn't there. Shinobi and Vyse are in? Fuck that! I wanted Nei and Bayonetta!!! :P

And who knows, we could very well see a few more really awesome additions. I think one or two of the remaining tracks will blow our minds in terms of nostalgia. And I also have a feeling a few really awesome racers are to come. Segata Sanshiro.... I don't know, he feels like he could appear...

---

Personally, I'm happy Billy Hatcher has yet to appear, and I hope they dropped him. Also, in terms of second characters I have my fingers crossed for COOL characters, like Aika and Nightshade rather than MeeMee and Amiga. This is my ideal remaining nine:

Aika
Nightshade
Ulala
Jaguar
Alex Kidd
Ryo Hazuki
Rag Rappy
Segata Sanshiro
XBLA Avatar - not one I'd pick, but it seems likely to happen
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:15:45 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Pao

« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:58 am »
Banjo ain't in, S0L confirmed it.

Really, I think people need to calm down. The game is looking beautiful, the gameplay is looking great and the tracks are varied which is really awesome. Is the roster some crazy clusterfuck of obscure and classic SEGA characters? We don't know yet. I'd say it's looking pretty great! Of course, every single fan can't be satisfied. Best to get over it and enjoy what we get.

I swear, gamers these days complain so much. Never enjoying what is there and just complaining about what isn't there. Shinobi and Vyse are in? Fuck that! I wanted Nei and Bayonetta!!! :P

I think you just need to stop telling people to "calm down" whenever we express our disappointment... I think the game is looking great, and I love the tracks, but I can't express my disappointment in the roster, which obviously lack IP variety compared to the first one? How is that "complaining so much?"... Do you want this to be a Sumo circle jerk thread?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:00 am »
Well, people do need to calm down in terms of the constant complaining and assuming the worst. Not just here, but in other forums as well.

Not to say that I don't welcome people sharing their opinions, even the negative ones, but I think on the reverse I'm allowed to be positive about the game and get annoyed when I hear complaints.

Thus far, no character in the roster pisses me off, which can't be said of the first game. While I like Big, I thought he was a waste of a slot, I know I've only raced as him a few times. Billy Hatcher was a complete joke. This time out, Shadow is my most hated character on the roster, but I knew full well he'd be in.

Now If, say, we get Mee Mee, Amiga and Pudding, then I'll happily join the angry fans. But for now I'm happy.

Offline Pao

« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:12 am »
Well, people do need to calm down in terms of the constant complaining and assuming the worst. Not just here, but in other forums as well.
No one is constantly complaining here, I was gushing over the game in the previous pages.
Besides, complaining and criticizing can be a good thing, if no one complained about duplicate tracks in the previous game, I imagine we would have seen the same in Transformed.

Not to say that I don't welcome people sharing their opinions, even the negative ones, but I think on the reverse I'm allowed to be positive about the game and get annoyed when I hear complaints.
Why would you get annoyed when you hear complaints? I suspect only Sumo employees would feel that way, or massive fanboys.

...Unless they are constant and baseless complaints, then you'd have a point... fortunately, no one is doing that here.

Thus far, no character in the roster pisses me off, which can't be said of the first game. While I like Big, I thought he was a waste of a slot, I know I've only raced as him a few times. Billy Hatcher was a complete joke. This time out, Shadow is my most hated character on the roster, but I knew full well he'd be in.

Now If, say, we get Mee Mee, Amiga and Pudding, then I'll happily join the angry fans. But for now I'm happy.
So when people complain about Gum or Reala being included, they are "complaining too much", but you'd gladly join them if they announce characters you don't like? You realize there are people who don't like Gum or Reala as well? It's all subjective.

I like Gum myself, but they should have represented the many highly requested IPs that the fans were asking for instead,  such a wasted opportunity...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2012, 07:12:42 pm »
Sakura Taisen is not some obscure franchise and why would it's titular character be considered obscure? Using that logic, we should have Sonic, Virtua Fighter, Bayonetta, Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Phantasy Star, Monkey Ball, Rise of Nightmares, Alpha Protocol etc before we even touched anything from Skies of Arcadia OR Jet Set Radio since the franchises I named have had better sales than either of those games. But if we want to talk about what best represent SEGA, then I completely agree with people who do not want Gum to appear in the game, at least as a playable character.

And what is wrong with complaining? Who knows where the Sonic franchise would be if people did not complain and/or voted with their wallets. Sonic Colours and Generations, solely Sonic games, only came about due to fan backlash and dismal sales for Silver, Unleashed, Black Knight and other major Sonic flops in the period before them.