Author Topic: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed disscussion  (Read 253127 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!! Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2012, 06:10:30 pm »
They might not include everyone... But that gives no reason to justify the likes of Pudding or MeeMee amongst other characters.

Yeah, the irritating point isn't that they weren't able to include every character we've ever wanted, it's that they've picked pretty outrageous modern inclusions that no one wanted/asked for instead of beloved characters/franchises from the past.  Off the top of my head:

Danica, Ralph, Shogun, Team Fortress, and Football manager are all pretty offensive considering iconic figures like Ryo, Virtual On, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Vector Man, Virtual Fighters, Fighting Vipers, and many more didn't make the cut. 

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2012, 06:39:54 pm »
One day dang it one day. I will take this baby for a ride.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:44:55 pm by Kori-Maru »

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:54 pm »
Did I just read that Football Manager is in this game? Dafuq?

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:33 pm »
Yeah, the irritating point isn't that they weren't able to include every character we've ever wanted, it's that they've picked pretty outrageous modern inclusions that no one wanted/asked for instead of beloved characters/franchises from the past.  Off the top of my head:

Danica, Ralph, Shogun, Team Fortress, and Football manager are all pretty offensive considering iconic figures like Ryo, Virtual On, Sakura Wars, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Vector Man, Virtual Fighters, Fighting Vipers, and many more didn't make the cut.

I kind of wish they picked Venelope from Wreck it Ralph as she, you know, drives a cart in the movie and already has an all-star move!

and so many sega characters transform into vehicles, just begging to played this way. Boom off the top of my head, Bal-Bados - He does all three!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:18:04 pm by Randroid »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #514 on: November 15, 2012, 07:27:25 pm »
Did I just read that Football Manager is in this game? Dafuq?

[Spoiler] Yeah Football Manager is in it, also Shogun from Total War: Shogun, by the way the ultimate final racer is a Hornet that transforms into a Tomcat into a Dreamcast controller.[/spoiler]

In the words of Big Bo "This is the most intense shit I've ever heard!"

Offline batfax

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #515 on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:53 pm »
One day dang it one day. I will take this baby for a ride.

Sakura's actually doing really good in that forum poll, so hey. Could happen. Alis is getting trashed now that Shenmue Dojo and other sites've shown up though. s'ridiculous.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #516 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »
Would be great to seperate a poll for male and female Sega characters. I just hope Sakura manages through and is in the lead.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #517 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »
[Spoiler] Yeah Football Manager is in it, also Shogun from Total War: Shogun, by the way the ultimate final racer is a Hornet that transforms into a Tomcat into a Dreamcast controller.[/spoiler]

In the words of Big Bo "This is the most intense shit I've ever heard!"
That almost wins me over enough to get this game.

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #518 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:36 am »
Balls to the walls. Miku fans are storming up the topic on the Sega forums from 4chan and interwebz :p

Offline Gagaman

• Total Meseta: 2
    • http://segamemories.tumblr.com/
« Reply #519 on: November 16, 2012, 03:45:34 am »
Even with the most votes I doubt Sega would wanna put Sakura in.
Sakura Wars has only ever been released outside of Japan once, not by Sega themselves, and it was a game that didn't have her in it, and it sold what...50 copies? It's miscellaneous even by miscellaneous Sega franchises standards. Not that I don't think think she would be a cool addition, just seems super unlikely.

Only reason they could justify her would be if she was included in a Japanese version of the game and was DLC here. Personally for here Vectorman, Toejam & earl and other Mega Drive era characters would probably be more popular.

I also voted for Dynamite Headdy and Chuck D. Head, but I know they will never get enough votes. Hahaha.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:47:55 am by Gagaman »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #520 on: November 16, 2012, 04:37:44 am »
Is anyone voting for Segata Sanshiro? Lan Di? ToeJam?

And there's something I don't understand:
How are people playing with FM if he isn't accessible? Is it some hack or cheat code?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #521 on: November 16, 2012, 07:28:31 am »
@Gagaman hehe, I like the comic! Transbot also has the power to stand completely still, a true show of strength!

Also, yeah, I know Kori and others are really pushing for Sakura, but I am 100% with SEGA and Sumo's decision to not include her. She just is not a popular character nor an active franchise in English speaking countries. I do think, though, that she could make for a great addition if the Japanese version adds characters. And in turn, everybody else gets her as DLC.

@Aki I partially agree with you, though I'm not going to judge the modern era hidden characters until we know exactly how SEGA is looking to include them. Could be that they are PC exclusives, which would make total sense, or it could simply be Sumo Digital paying tribute to two other UK based SEGA developers. Another possibility is that SEGA simply wanted to create a stronger connection to the SEGA brand by including the franchises as racers. Over at Sonic Stadium, most forum members didn't even know those two franchises were owned by SEGA. 

I agree, though, that I would have liked to see other current gen franchises represented first. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Cain from Binary Domain should have been in the game. Great new character, very unique design, funny personality. Imagine Cain on an Amada vehicle, yelling out compliments to other racers. His All-Star move could be using his USB device to hack into other racers vehicles. Also, Kazuma. Cain and Kazuma would have been very awesome additions.

My hope is that the Japanese release of the game at least has ONE new character added to appeal to Japanese gamers, and why not pick a character that also has an english fanbase? Kazuma, Sakura, Hatsume Miku... Maybe even add some new license stickers for stuff like Border Break.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #522 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:12 am »

I agree with The Nomad about the Shogun and FM inclusion. It is keeping in with the tradition of including characters from a left field prespective in these type of crossover games that Sega produces. Looking at it this way. Capcom made crossover fighting games around the same time and they included many obscrue characters in these games that they owned or didn't own. But no one complained about their inclusion because not many people knew or cared about Capcom's history or the japanese personalities that they put in certain titles like Marvel Superheroes vs Streetfighter. Now Sega can be considered the one to truly start this crossover fighting etc trend because Capcom was doing the streetfighter alpha series when FIGHTERS MEGAMIX came out and even before with the FIGHTING VIPERS with Pepsi man cameo/crossover. So Sega set the precedent that others have essentialy followed. Its also good that these recently aquired franchises kinda get to become part of the Sega family or Sega universe as such with the absence of a sega system. Since most of us probably dont own the same game system anymore to get our sega goodness there isn't a unifying element to tie all sega games and fans together anymore which is why this is good with a title like this that attempts to do that. So i appauld it. I do however would like to see one Sega crossover title include some of the Sega of america IP (HELL YEAH effectivly has many tributes to certain Sega of america games mainly from DECAP ATTACK and KID CHAMELEON)and or the Treasure Sega characters in the same title.(Platinum Sega characters, there's no point saying as that's a given many would like to see them included) But from what they chose, i wouldn't call it a waste. Its similar to the SHENMUE inclusion, something that wasn't expected but welcomed.

Ultimatly I think in the past year a lot of Sega fans have been treated well in that regard with Sega starting to celebrate themselves a bit more with the numourous cameos and crossovers that we have seen or expecting. VF5 in DOA5? Doesnt that not feed the beast of this Tekken vs VF game that many people would want to play especially after the  crossover RPG game that Namco made that included some sega RPG characters? The many crossover/cameos with Phantasy Star Portable and other Sega RPGs and the YAKUZA/SAKURA TAISEN/VALYKRIE CHRONICLES template cameos in Border break. Not to mention the sega tributes in various games including BAYONETTA and SHINOBI 3DS. The good thing is this wont be the last SEGA SUPERSTARS game so at one pont many of us will get to see what we want at one point in the future.

As for SAKURA TAISEN. Well its not like that these characters haven't been used  already since they have appeared in that 3DS crossover title and the BORDERBREAK games. Who knows i still think that since this game is japan bound that they wont include the DLC that is part of the western release. But its not like that franchise isn't being used.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:01:51 am by ROJM »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #523 on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:11 am »
Its also good that these recently aquired franchises kinda get to become part of the Sega family or Sega universe as such with the absence of a sega system. Since most of us probably dont own the same game system anymore to get our sega goodness there isn't a unifying element to tie all sega games and fans together anymore which is why this is good with a title like this that attempts to do that. So i appauld it.

Great point. One big thing I like about these All-Star titles is that they really do bring (most) everything under one roof. Just like a SEGA console would. I think there is so much excitement for these games because of that. Sure the gameplay is good, but I think the idea of a ton of different SEGA franchises under one roof is the real draw. The last game dropped the ball a bit in that regard (good roster, but poor track representation) but this one really is going all out even if it is not going AS all out as some would wish.

It'll sound shallow, but TW and FM suddenly feel more like SEGA titles since they now are standing alongside IPs like Panzer Dragoon and JSR. Sort of like this is their "welcome to the family" ceremony. 

Offline Kori-Maru

« Reply #524 on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:45 am »
I don't think they would add DLC characters for the Japanese version, it'll probably be Total War and Football Manager too :( It would be nice to have a JP-only IP make it in for Sega fans.