Author Topic: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed disscussion  (Read 253122 times)

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: BEWARE OF SPOILERS!!! Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
« Reply #570 on: November 23, 2012, 02:53:40 am »
If anyone should like to have a race against me on 360. My gamertag is KoriSX15.

I've obtained all the characters and I going to finish the mirror Grand Prix on Expert this weekend. So far I'm loving the game with dat mad speed. I've also got the Wii U so I'll pick up ASRT for the system next week.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #571 on: November 23, 2012, 05:52:42 am »
It seems like the fans have managed to give this game some great publicity with the petition.

What started to be a small forum petition, was spread through many other forums and communities. And now...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/23/fans-decide-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-dlc

Amazing lol

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #572 on: November 24, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »
Okay so I finally am home and am able to play this game.  So far it's pretty fun!

But my god does it have some sloppy ass glitches hiding around!  I've only played a couple hours and I've already encountered a glitch that raises the volume at the main menu to absurd levels, a glitch that sent me back to 10th place when I used an Allstar power up, and a glitch that spawned a puffer fish behind me at the starting line.  Come on, sumo you can do better than this!

Also is there anyway to turn down the obnoxiously loud character exclamations at the end of each race?  Turning down voice does nothing so I'm guessing the answer's "no".

Also the shape that the wiiu version is currently in is unacceptable. 

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #573 on: November 25, 2012, 02:21:53 pm »
I've played probably 5 or 6 hours at this point and am having the time of my life.  It may lack some polish, but the game more than makes up for it with solid, old fashioned FUN!  Some thoughts thus far:

Pros:

-GREAT course design.  I was initially skeptical given that the courses seemed more simple and more open than the original's but it allows for greater strategic use of weapons and drifting. 

-the music is fantastic

-the career mode is great fun and I have yet to find a dull mission.  I even love the flying ring challenges that many reviewers complained about. 

-fun weapons that while do not evoke any specific Sega related imagery are a huge step up from the first game's mario kart switch-outs.  Seriously, props to Sumo for making racing with items fun again.

-challenging but never unfair (sorry kotaku!)

Cons:

-Glitchy

-awkward and embarrassing character animations.  Get some help from Marza or something Sumo. 

-terrible modeling/rigging for some characters.  Vyse's face is a terror to look upon and Beat looks like a lump of wet clay.  Rigging wise, some characters have odd shapes popping up when they perform some motions (like knuckles' shoulder when raising his fist to the air) which are fugly and not thought out.     

-the roster.  It's much, much worse than the last game's. 

-a less than cohesive art direction at times

disregarding those things and the fact that the wiiu version is still jacked up and we've got a contender for racing game of the year.  Haven't tried online yet but is anyone here on the ps3 ver?  I have the wiiu version but I'm not diving into that until christmas.  Would love to play some Segabits online matches. 

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #574 on: November 25, 2012, 05:06:34 pm »
You sound kind of negative radrappy. I am just really having hours and hours of fun every day with every mode. While the online mode isn't optimal, I've never felt this great of a competition in a game. And it feels so satisfying executing all the things you learn until you become 1st... which doesn't happen a lot I can tell you. But that's mainly because there are some very skilled people online.

Anyway, if you had to sum up the experience as a whole, would you think its better than mario kart? I know that comparison is getting kind of old, but i've read your thoughts about nintendo every now and then when it was brought up, so i'm kind of curious.

Surprisingly the greatest part of the negativity comes from Wii U players, or it may just have been a coincidence.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #575 on: November 25, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »
You sound kind of negative radrappy.

Whaaaaat.  I said it was super fun!

Anyway, if you had to sum up the experience as a whole, would you think its better than mario kart? I know that comparison is getting kind of old, but i've read your thoughts about nintendo every now and then when it was brought up, so i'm kind of curious.

You know, I'm actually not the best person to ask about this; the last MK I actually invested time into was DoubleDash for GC.  I dabbled in MK Wii for a couple hours but was put off by the motion controls and trick system.

That being said, I still think that where Sumo falters when you compare Transformed to MK is presentation.  It's just not quite at the level that Nintendo is famous for delivering.  Gameplay wise, I think that Transformed offers a lot more to the core gaming crowd than is normally expected from a MK entry.  So there's that! 

As much as I do love All-Stars Racing Transformed, I find that the game has a somewhat torn visual identity as well.  Mario Kart games are made in house and thus answer to the rigorous aesthetic screening process that all first party Mario games are exposed to.  Transformed on the other hand is clearly developed by a separate group of people who have their own ideas and vision for what a game of this nature should look like.  Everything is lovingly crafted, make no mistake, but when I look closely at certain in game elements such as the Shleep in the NID course (they look horrifying and a little. . .off) or the fact that certain courses like the Shinobi track do very little to actually represent their games (felt the same way about Burning Rangers, it doesn't really. . .look/feel like BR at all) it's clear that this is just not the same quality that one would get had the game been developed in-house at Sega.  Visually mind you!  Visually!  Gameplay wise, I don't think an in house team could have possibly done better.  And isn't that the greatest complement of all?     

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #576 on: November 25, 2012, 08:45:09 pm »
I don't really get a "torn visual identity". Mario Kart is 100% in the Mario universe, and as such its really damn easy for them to keep that consistant from game to game. To be honest, the Mario style doesn't do anything for me. I watch Mario Kart gameplay footage and just think "Yup, Mario." With ASRT I think Sumo did a fantastic job rounding up a number of franchises, some that don't even have current gen games to use as reference.

Unlike MK, it was a much larger undertaking and as such, I give them major props. Some franchises, like Shinobi, didn't really have previous 3D title to replicate like the Sonic Colors or Sonic & Knuckles (aka the Generations take on Sky Sanctuary) tracks did. Panzer Dragoon and Skies of Arcadia are jaw dropping, in my opinion. They really look like what those franchises would look like if they had games made for the current gen. Or take stuff like Jet Set Radio and Samba de Amigo. Both those have very unique visual styles, that would conflict with the overall style Sumo was going for, so in those cases I'd say they were very well done.

Anyway, long reply short, while I do agree that there are places that needed improvement, overall Sumo's efforts have just so much more (intentional Bentley Jones reference) effort put into them than any recent Mario Kart title in terms of presentation. Sumo undertook a LOT in terms of varying visual styles and franchises, and did a fantastic job. Mario Kart is just Mario... not very exciting, very few surprises.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #577 on: November 25, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »
Anyway, long reply short, while I do agree that there are places that needed improvement, overall Sumo's efforts have just so much more (intentional Bentley Jones reference) effort put into them than any recent Mario Kart title in terms of presentation. Sumo undertook a LOT in terms of varying visual styles and franchises, and did a fantastic job. Mario Kart is just Mario... not very exciting, very few surprises.

I'll toast to that. 

The skies of arcadia track is probably my favorite in the game and the most faithful to its source material.  It's simply incredible. 

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #578 on: November 26, 2012, 01:55:42 am »
Whaaaaat.  I said it was super fun!

Lol, it was kind of late when I posted that and missed that your cons existed mostly of the same point aside from the glitches.

I still disagree with the "identity" part. Yeah the character models and visuals in general are not up to par to standards, but keep in mind how much stuff happens and all in a consistent 30fps. Honestly i'm glad they put priority into having the game run well within a lively world. I think if the latter was missing, I'd agree with you. So much stuff happens that it still just blows me away. Galactic parade being my favorite track lol(No I don't do drugs XD)

I think every franchise has been portrayed well. Yes stages like burning depths don't feel very familiar, but then again there are many old franchises used in Allstars racing that needed a bit of reinventing because of the HD transition and to have the levels feel unique within the package. Forgetting about the representation, all the levels are all brilliantly designed and construced as you said.

I do agree about the models. Aside from the sonic models, some of the models look and animate a bit strange, but this is all forgotten when everything else is just so good. I don't believe sumo digital isn't capable of making great models, I think priorities were simply put elsewhere within the budget and time, while they still aimed for "passable". I'll give you that the shinobi stage has very little familiarities but still very much in the essence of a Shinobi game, as a result it is still a "unique" stage among all the others. Overall however I feel that not only do the levels compliment the franchises, but also sometimes feel better than where they came from.

I have gained a great amount of respect for Sumo after this game, like I would say that they should be set as an example for everyone at SEGA! Not just their gamedesign is great, but they have the perfect idea of what makes a game good. SOnic allstars racing Transformed could have been a simple and mostly the same game + transformations, but they went such a huge step further than that, its hard to not give them credit and understand how there are a few glitches here and there.

I found it hilarious how people were complaining how difficult the game was on hard, whereto S0L replied, that as the name says, hard is supposed to be... hard XD. Duhh, but people/kids these days don't even know what that is, which just shows how the general developer has given into this idea, while sumo knows exactly why there can be such a greater sense of satisfaction when a game actually challenges you. Failry of course. Fucking babies. Back in the days(yes i'm going there), we had to finish a game from start to finish, without save files, without nothing and just simply become good at it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:58:49 am by CrazyTails »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #579 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:40 am »
I don't really get a "torn visual identity". Mario Kart is 100% in the Mario universe, and as such its really damn easy for them to keep that consistant from game to game. To be honest, the Mario style doesn't do anything for me. I watch Mario Kart gameplay footage and just think "Yup, Mario." With ASRT I think Sumo did a fantastic job rounding up a number of franchises, some that don't even have current gen games to use as reference.

Unlike MK, it was a much larger undertaking and as such, I give them major props. Some franchises, like Shinobi, didn't really have previous 3D title to replicate like the Sonic Colors or Sonic & Knuckles (aka the Generations take on Sky Sanctuary) tracks did. Panzer Dragoon and Skies of Arcadia are jaw dropping, in my opinion. They really look like what those franchises would look like if they had games made for the current gen. Or take stuff like Jet Set Radio and Samba de Amigo. Both those have very unique visual styles, that would conflict with the overall style Sumo was going for, so in those cases I'd say they were very well done.

Exactly, i think people are comparing apples and oranges and for the reasons you have stated alone its  a complete diferent thing.
From playing this game for a while now and similar crossover games i'm going to say this. The visual style is actually true to the characters of the games. Mainly like with Joe Musashi it looks like they have pulled him out of his actual game via 1993 and put him here. Most of the characters has this look where they appear as they should and not been conformed to look a certain way so they fit the style of the title. That's to me is attention to detail and respect to the franchises that appears in the game. I can only compare it to Capcom vs Marvel.  While i loved playing that title and enjoyed seeing a lot of the capcom stars that hasn't been seen for a long time up to that point, the problem with that title was that they all looked to the style of the game, a psudo anime style which many of the capcom characters that were in the game didn't have when they first appeared  in their respective games. Maybe that is why the reaction is like it is because people aren't use to differing styles appearing in one game. There's nothing i can add about the layout of the game or the tracks because its quite perfect for a title like this. And i feel that this game may if anything may have strenghen the cause for a return of certain absent and long overdue Sega games. I'm not suprised why this game is getting released in Japan after experincing the gameplay and visuals of this title.
I wouldn't mind a third racing title if they had to make one but i'd like to see this series go down other routes as well.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #580 on: November 26, 2012, 02:23:31 pm »
I really hope this game becomes a staple sega series. It is a perfect vehicle for reintroducing older Sega titles due for a remake/re-release or sequel.

If they continue with the quality and approach to general fun that they have with this game, then it will solidify its status as a classic sega series (if it hasn't already).

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #581 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »
It would be cool to have Takenobu Mitsuyoshi as an announcer for the Japanese version of the game.

For the next game, I would really love for Sumo to work with Sega of Japan on the next All-Stars with the character roster. I really didn't like how Sega Europe cut certain unique characters out the game because they didn't know who they we're or didn't have their game. At least Sumo tried to bring them out, it would have helped Sega to bring more exposure to their franchises especially if they we're advertised in a Sonic game.

Look at Ristar and Vectorman, one appearance in a Sonic Collection made them instantly popular.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:58:51 am by Kori-Maru »

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #582 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:14 am »
How well is this game doing? I read one review where it was indicating that not many people were buying it.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #583 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:52 am »
Still seeing people complain on my twitter occasionally about the game being to hard... those people being Nintendo fans.. sigh...

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #584 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:09 am »
Honestly i've became 6th, 7th for like an hour on medium when I first started the game. I sucked real bad, but no second did I think "this game sucks because I can't even pass medium". As i've said earlier, it's not that the game is hard, but that the learning curve is long and executing all the game's mechanics takes some time to get used to.

Now I can get 1st on extreme difficulty, which at first was VERY intimidating, but I found that the more I played, the better I got and the easier modes became. It was extremely satisfying.

Online mode being my favorite mode and helped me up my game a great deal. So when I encountered good people online and made myself competitive, extreme mode wasn't that extreme anymore.