Author Topic: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic  (Read 101076 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Re: [Sonic Lost World] discussion topic
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2013, 07:23:50 am »
Meh, the UK sales aren't that bad, but for a Sonic game in possibly its strongest EU market, that is bad in the long run, as it means Sonic is slowly losing its relevancy in the UK.

Vs Wii U Nintendo titles, it's doing even worse.

I do think it has long legs though compared to the likes of Pikmin and Wonderful 101, but I don't expect all that much.

To be honest, I DO blame the confusion of what this game wants to be for the sales discrepancy. I didn't expect it to sell loads, but I expected it to be in the Top 10 in its debut (Pikmin 3 managed it, and that franchise is not well known!), being 11 last week overall combined is pretty bad.

Then again, the UK market is irrelevant these days, so it's to be expected that the UK sales are awful even if it WERE at Number 1.

Oh and somewhat off topic. I found the PS3 LE version of Transformed and Sonic Colours still being sold at Tesco, brand new! So I don't really expect the UK to be as into Sonic these days as we may have been in the early 90's/Mid 2000s.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:25:56 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Ravenfreak

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Haters gonna hate
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2013, 11:15:12 am »
So I own the 3DS version of the game, and I find it to be fun. However I decided to write my own little review on the game, you can read it bellow if you want. Keep in mind it's my first review so go easy on me if it's bad. xD Also sorry for the spacing, I typed this up in Notepad++... :V
Sonic Lost World (3DS) RF's Review
With the release of Sonic Lost World yesterday I finally picked up a copy around 9 something at night since my gf and I had a few issues we needed to
resolve first before going shopping. After reading all the horrible reviews online I didn't care about their view on the game because I enjoyed playing
Frozen Factory during Sonic Boom this year. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'll go ahead and share my views on the game bellow. This is my first
review so let me know if it sucks or whatever. xP

Alright so I booted up the game and was greeted with the title screen of course. I press A to start my adventure, and the first cutscene plays. Let me tell
you about the quality of the cutscenes, they are pretty bad even with the 3D fully on. They are grainy and are pretty difficult to watch due to the quality.
The dubbing is fine though, it's just too bad they messed this part up while if I remember correctly Sonic Colors for the DS was fine. (Granted I guess you
couldn't really call them cutscenes though since they were still images...) This is bad Sega, though it could have something to do with how the 3DS handles
certain video codecs, I really don't know the specs of a 3DS...

So after sitting through the cutscene (yes I watched the entire thing since I don't want to miss out on important events...) it was time to play the tutorial
for Windy Hill Zone. I knew about the mechanics of the game already, as I said before I was lucky enough to play the game before it was released at Sonic
Boom this year. But it did help to get used to it again I suppose... Windy Hill Zone 1 was a breeze (no pun intended) to get through however Windy Hill Zone
2 was a pain in the butt. I found it a bit difficult to jump at the right times to land on the side of the different walls, so I ended up having to use one
of Tails' inventions to make it pass that section. (Oh those gimmicks in this game are... interesting. I'll go through them later on in this review.) Maybe
I just suck at the game a tiny bit.

After I finally made it pass Zone 2 and losing tons of lives I was able to enter the vomit inducing Special Stage. (No I didn't physically get sick while
playing the Special Stages, I got really dizzy though!) Now this special stage is cool from a gimmick stand point but is a pain in the ass on a gameplay
standpoint, especially for someone who has to collect the chaos emeralds to fully finish the game. I'm getting somewhat better at the Special Stage, however
it's still a huge pain in the ass. I was expecting to use the stylus again to collect the blue balls spheres, but nope. If this made me dizzy, I could
imagine what it could do to a little kid...

So here I am now at Desert Ruin Zone 3, and boy it's a huge puzzle which is a pain in the ass. I really do like how different gimmicks were introduced,
but this puzzle just sucks. But enough of complaining about the puzzles, I'm going to go over the soundtrack in the next part. The soundtrack is pretty
hit and miss for me. There are tracks in the game that are catchy, others are just a jumbled mess. I've checked out the Wii U version's soundtrack on
Youtube a bit already, and a few tracks grew on me I will say. Does it have one of the best soundtracks in the franchise? Not in my opinion, I think
it's my least favorite soundtrack from any Sonic game to date. Lets take a look at Sonic Color's soundtrack shall we? The soundtrack consists of music that
fit each level, and are very catchy. Stuff you want to continue to listen to over and over again. With Lost World's soundtrack I barely would want to listen
to the tracks over and over again (with the exception of Frozen Factory Zone 1, Sky Road Zone 1, and Silent Forest Zone 2. It gets a rating of 5/10 for me.
(Ironically enough as the game got that rating from many sites... xD)

Lastly lets look at the different objects and gimmicks in the game as a whole. You gain different material to make new objects and to unlock different monitors
as well. It's something different, and I think it's pretty cool especially since they can come in handy in any tough situation. The wisps from Sonic Colors
return with the addition of a few new ones as well. The objects and gimmicks in this game are wonderful IMO.

Overall the game is pretty fun, but there are plenty of rage quit moments with dizzy ones as well. Is it a decent Sonic game from the usual standards? Eh it's
alright but doesn't really feel like a Sonic game except for during the moments when you don't have to hold down the R button to make Sonic run fast. The
parkour system is alright as well, but again it doesn't really feel like a Sonic game. For a stand alone platform/puzzle game it's fun, I'll just try to
pretend that it's not really a Sonic game... But the game gets a 7 out of 10 for me because the gimmicks and gameplay is still fun aside from the Special Stages.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2013, 01:42:25 pm »
Hey Rad, have you gotten the Download Code for the Nightmare world to work?

Friggen WiiU, can never tell if any internet related failures are "normal" or not.

Haven't tried.  Hot dang frozen factory act 1 was awful.  What the heck sega. 

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2013, 03:16:59 pm »
Eh it's alright but doesn't really feel like a Sonic game except for during the moments when you don't have to hold down the R button to make Sonic run fast. The
parkour system is alright as well, but again it doesn't really feel like a Sonic game. For a stand alone platform/puzzle game it's fun, I'll just try to
pretend that it's not really a Sonic game... But the game gets a 7 out of 10 for me because the gimmicks and gameplay is still fun aside from the Special Stages.

It's amazing how different it is.

I'm starting to realize the closest Sonic game to this thing is probably Sonic 3D Blast.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2013, 02:25:13 pm »
Sonic Lost World never got this kind of positive reception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_-0Cmi5z4

proof that Sonic Adventure 3 is needed

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »
The fascination with the Adventure series is something I'll never understand. That series is second lowest to me if I were to rank Sonic series.

1. Genesis Era
2. Modern Era (Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World)
3. All the main portable titles (Sonic Rush, etc)
4. Adventure Series
5. Post DC Era (Sonic 06)

I mean the first game was fun, 2 had its moments, but the art style, music, concept (Sonic in Human World) are lame and I fully agree with a previous poster (Barry, I think it's you) who said that Sonic 06 is pretty much Adventure 3.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »
Please stop don't even joke about that pleeeaaaase. :(

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2013, 07:06:26 pm »
I want to beat the shit out of whoever designed Frozen Factory act 3 on 3DS. Such a fucking chore and a pain. STOP FOLLOWING ME YOU STUPID, FUCKING GIRL SNOWBALL!! I'M TRYING TO ROLL THIS OTHER SNOWBALL INTO A HOLE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED BY SOME FUCKING PENGUINS!!

That right there is the biggest problem with the 3DS version. There are some levels that are fun adn flow really well while others are a huge fucking chore. It's a shame because mechinally, they did some things like tutorials and parkouring better than on WiiU, but once again, DIMPS fucks up on the level design.

On the other side, I'm near the end on the WiiU version and am loving it. Fuck the haters. Okay, Circus Atari bonus games are lame.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »
On the other side, I'm near the end on the WiiU version and am loving it. Fuck the haters. Okay, Circus Atari bonus games are lame.

I'm growing to appreciate the more I play and farm for lives.  It's kind of the Dark Souls of platformers in that it's best to play the game SUPER FUCKING CAUTIOUSLY.  It's kind of a rush and very rewarding when you finally succeed.  I can see it getting on a lot of people's nerves though because many segments require you to actually stop and fucking wait which to many is a sonic game sin.  Imagine that?!  Having to wait and think about where you're jumping!

Something that's awesome is how quickly the game loads.  Generations would chug before each stage but in this game, the load times are practically nonexistent. 

Also, time to brag;  I'm at sky road and I haven't seen the game over screen once yet.  Boo ya.   

Offline Shigs

« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:59 am »
Finished the WiiU version. I don't think it's quite as good as Generations or Colors, but it's very close in my top 3. They really took some risks with this one and in most cases, it pays off. I will say I'm actually surprised at how dark the story gets in the third act.

Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:29 am »
Is it bad that I can't even be bothered playing this game any more?

At Act 3 of the Mountain Zone and I can't even be bothered with the bosses yet again...feels like I'm not having much fun on this game as I had hoped...

Some parts of the game have good ideas but the Mine Railing sections bugged the fuck out of me to not care what's in store...

Regarding the story, it's pretty good (not Oscar worthy, but good for a kiddy like story) and Robotnik/Eggman pretty much shines in this game for me as someone who is at ends with Sonic, but I guess they show some kind of compassion for each other that I have NEVER expected....the truce for those two characters opens up a lot of good ideas that I wouldn't mind if this happened again sometime in the future (not in the direct next game, but somewhere along the lines of "Now and again"), since it has impressed me.

Some unique ideas in this game I do like, but I don't feel compelled to say that this is a huge step forward for Sonic...the play style is too skewed to place it as a mainline Sonic game, however I do respect what Sonic Team are trying to do, and should possibly use this style either for just Nintendo Sonic exclusives or the handheld games (not the ports).
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2013, 07:44:31 am »
I want to beat the shit out of whoever designed Frozen Factory act 3 on 3DS. Such a fucking chore and a pain. STOP FOLLOWING ME YOU STUPID, FUCKING GIRL SNOWBALL!! I'M TRYING TO ROLL THIS OTHER SNOWBALL INTO A HOLE WITHOUT BEING ATTACKED BY SOME FUCKING PENGUINS!!

You can stun the snowball by kicking and then homing twice, also it follows your exact movements (similar to Mario's Cosmic Clones, but the snowball moves a little faster than you). I actually found zone 3 to be sorta easy. Also, had a big Crush 3D vibe.

Offline Shigs

« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 04:50:03 pm »
You can stun the snowball by kicking and then homing twice, also it follows your exact movements (similar to Mario's Cosmic Clones, but the snowball moves a little faster than you). I actually found zone 3 to be sorta easy. Also, had a big Crush 3D vibe.

I did that and it only lasted temporarily. It would still steal my fucking snowball before I could fully form it into a large snowball. I really, REALLy hated that level.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Sonic Lost World never got this kind of positive reception

SA3 on everything but Nintendo Consoles would be a dream to you wouldn't it? =P

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »
I was ready to hate Silent Forest Zone 2 3DS... but then I got a hang of the controls and blew through the last half and felt really good about myself.